what glass is covering the main rear camera ? Gorilla glass ? Plain window glass ?
    01-25-15 03:59 PM
    I don't know but I wish there had like a stand alone cameras auto cover for their cameras. I don't have a passport but when I get my phone out of my pocket I'm always grabbing it where the lens is and smudging it.
    01-25-15 04:18 PM
    It would be gorilla glass at the minimum I would imagine

Posted via CB10
    01-25-15 04:29 PM
    & why would you assume that ??

It would be gorilla glass at the minimum I would imagine

Posted via CB10
    01-25-15 09:20 PM
    Why would you use anything less?

Posted via CB10
    01-25-15 09:53 PM
    It's probably tough but not gorilla glass.
    I just know porsche designs have sapphire glass on the camera lens
    01-25-15 10:18 PM
    I personally would use gorilla glass, but I am not obsessed with the bottom line like BlackBerry is...
    Why would you use anything less?

Posted via CB10
    01-25-15 11:23 PM
    All I know is that there's like a crumb or something in the glass, near the flash.

Annoying to see!

Posted via CB10
    01-25-15 11:48 PM
    & why would you assume that ??
    The industry standard is that the tiny glass protecting the camera lens is made of better/hardy stuff.

Iphones have had sapphire glass on the back camera since iphone 4 or 4s.

Put it this way, ive had the Z10, Q10, Z30 and the passport.

I have not scratched or damaged the camera lens screen on any of them even though for some I dont use a case

Posted via CB10
    01-26-15 12:34 PM
    It's a cheap piece of plastic. I say that because mine is damaged. It has a dent in it, probably from something in my pocket or when i placed it down. Now because of the distortion, the camera will not focus correctly at all. It confirms it's focused but the images are all out of focus. Guess i'll be looking for a replacement.

Posted using my awesome Passport
    01-28-15 04:49 PM
    mine has a scratch on it too

also my note 4 camera lens got scratched on the first day, I have no idea how, I try to be careful with my phones

They should use sapphire like the iPhone 6/6 plus it is great for not smudging too easily and almost impossible to scratch,
    unless you take a diamond to it of course
    01-28-15 07:12 PM

also my note 4 camera lens got scratched on the first day, I have no idea how, I try to be careful with my phones

They should use sapphire like the iPhone 6/6 plus it is great for not smudging too easily and almost impossible to scratch,
    Well the porsche designs do use sapphire glass on the camera lens.. but kinda pricey
    01-28-15 07:24 PM
    I want to say Saphire. Just a guess.

Posted via CB10
    01-28-15 07:39 PM
    Sickening cheap...BlackBerry will not survive... shameful...

It's a cheap piece of plastic. I say that because mine is damaged. It has a dent in it, probably from something in my pocket or when i placed it down. Now because of the distortion, the camera will not focus correctly at all. It confirms it's focused but the images are all out of focus. Guess i'll be looking for a replacement.

01-28-15 08:09 PM

Yep mine scratch too

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2072
    01-28-15 08:14 PM
    It's not glass. It's a clear synthetic transparent disc. It can be deformed with a blunt object.
    Give it a try.
    I use my Passport in an industrial environment and keep it in my left chest pocket of my coveralls. I found the camera cover material was becoming very scratched after the first week of ownership. Found the camera cover was contacting the back of a brass button. Not cool. Now it's beat up and goes into the pocket with the screen facing inwards and the top of the Pasport( power button) side down. This has slowed the scratching of the camera cover.

Just my two cents, and experience...

Posted via the BlackBerry Passport Passport SQW100-1/10.3.0.1418
    01-28-15 09:13 PM
    Definitely not glass. My seat belt buckle put a nice dent in it (it's in a Body glove case) so now all of my pictures are out of focus. Must be a hardened plastic. Can't find a replacement part for it so I guess I have to see if it is covered under at&t's insurance.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-15 09:35 PM
    Definitely not glass. My seat belt buckle put a nice dent in it (it's in a Body glove case) so now all of my pictures are out of focus. Must be a hardened plastic. Can't find a replacement part for it so I guess I have to see if it is covered under at&t's insurance.

Posted via CB10
    Insurance, yes. Warranty, no.

This is not a manufactures defect.
    07-18-15 09:57 PM
    Insurance, yes. Warranty, no.

This is not a manufactures defect.
    Based on technicalities and legalese, maybe you're right. Let's keep building our phones with cheaper and cheaper materials, covering our expensive camera lenses with what looks like glass but is cheap plastic. That way, when a customer's belt buckle breaks the phone (when it shouldn't), we can say "Sorry, not covered. Customer misuse."

Taking a phone in and out of a pocket shouldn't break ANY part of the phone.

Posted via CB10 // Passport SQW100-1 // 10.3.2.2339 // Cricket Wireless
    07-19-15 03:58 AM
    Based on technicalities and legalese, maybe you're right. Let's keep building our phones with cheaper and cheaper materials, covering our expensive camera lenses with what looks like glass but is cheap plastic. That way, when a customer's belt buckle breaks the phone (when it shouldn't), we can say "Sorry, not covered. Customer misuse."

Taking a phone in and out of a pocket shouldn't break ANY part of the phone.

Posted via CB10 // Passport SQW100-1 // 10.3.2.2339 // Cricket Wireless
    Had they used an expensive glass and raised the price, you and others would complain it's too expensive. There's no winning with people who are never happy with anything.

Don't even try to retort, every single post you make it a complaint, and shall now be ignored.

Posted via CB10
    07-19-15 01:41 PM
    Don't even try to retort, every single post you make it a complaint, and shall now be ignored.
    No need to "retort," because your statement is wrong. My new Passport is fantastic, and I love the device when it's an actual working one. If you had the same experiences I've had with BlackBerry, quality control issues, and faulty Passports, you might have a different outlook on everything.

My argument is: a smartphone rubbing against a pocket button or getting lightly hit by a seat belt buckle shouldn't break anything on the device. You really think a tougher camera cover glass would raise the cost that much over millions of devices? Please.
    07-19-15 01:46 PM

Mine has a dent in it too! Which is a bunch of bs!! Can it be replaced???
    03-01-18 08:56 PM
    there is, after all, bigger bs in life... I recall some talk about this early on...seems it's plastic... how sloppy !!
    03-01-18 09:49 PM
    Had they used an expensive glass and raised the price, you and others would complain it's too expensive. There's no winning with people who are never happy with anything.

Posted via CB10
    Right after launch they put up a $100 coupon... how much could that little piece of glass really cost? Sheesh
    03-01-18 09:51 PM
    seems there was talk of this early on... I believe it's plastic, plain, not even polycarbonate ...if my memory is incorrect, please don't scratch me
    03-01-18 09:54 PM