That drink deserved to be spilled........but not on your phone...... lol

Posted via CB10
    09-20-15 10:21 AM
    I love how this has become a thread about drinks :P makes me yearn for my days off work already!

 = ♥ | 8220, 8530, 9670, 9810, Q10, Passport
    09-20-15 10:39 AM
    Hell ya! I've mixed Heineken with 7-UP! You can mix up just about anything. Go crazy!
    Well, yeah. When I was a kid we would mix Fanta and Coke,.. but... you know--> 'a kid'.

Posted via CB10
    09-20-15 10:46 AM
    Some belgian beers are produced & bottled with cherry or rasberry juice added = kriek lambic framboise & cerise, hoegaarden rose

Bumpkin
    I think the 'Smirnoff Ice' drinks (in the U.S.) are basically just flavored carbonated beer (malt beverage), so I suppose it's not too out of the ordinary.

Posted via CB10
    09-20-15 10:50 AM
    In this part of the uk a diesel is half pint lager with half pint cider topped off with blackcurrant cordial. Not really relevant but interesting all the same, the same drink minus the cordial is known as a snakebite.

Posted via CB10
    That sounds delicious!

Hi Jontadmor! Coming back to the topic, I sincerely feel that you should have it stripped down and give it a thorough cleaning. Now you can do this on your own, if you are comfortable doing it, or you could go to Blackberry service center, or take it to your local repair guy. That's entirely up to you

Posted from my  Passport � PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639
    09-20-15 11:05 AM
    Well, yeah. When I was a kid we would mix Fanta and Coke,.. but... you know--> 'a kid'.

Posted via CB10
    That a regular Drink in Germany call Spezi, you can even get buy it pre mixed and bottled from Coca-Cola ( Mezzo Mix) . Lol
    AnimalPak200 likes this.
    09-20-15 11:08 AM
    That a regular Drink in Germany call Spezi, you can even get buy it pre mixed and bottled from Coca-Cola ( Mezzo Mix) . Lol
    Lol... *sigh*.. why am I not surprised.

Posted via CB10
    09-20-15 11:21 AM
    So are we saying that in the Americas, shandy is not a thing? Coz here in the uk it's a standard drink, sold in cans everywhere and pubs all over the land, mostly to the poor soul who's out but trying not to get drunk, or by parents risking a drink for their underage but close to legal kids so they can acclimatise to the beer hehe.

(not that I recommend nefarious shenanigans such as that)

Posted via CB10
    09-20-15 11:54 AM
    That sounds delicious!

Hi Jontadmor! Coming back to the topic, I sincerely feel that you should have it stripped down and give it a thorough cleaning. Now you can do this on your own, if you are comfortable doing it, or you could go to Blackberry service center, or take it to your local repair guy. That's entirely up to you

It is delicious but depending on the brands of lager and cider used it can be very intoxicating indeed.

Posted via CB10
    09-20-15 11:56 AM
    I'm surprised it works at all. I would've waited much longer to turn it on and even put it in rice.
    09-20-15 11:59 AM
    Jeez you drunk... jk but I'm sorry to hear that!
    09-20-15 06:30 PM
    I wish the passport had a removable battery. I dropped my z10 in the toilet one time and before i even checked if it worked, i immediately pulled the battery out to prevent any short circuiting, but in this case you would be forced to turn it on to turn it off which is a bummer
    09-20-15 06:53 PM
    You can try dousing the keyboard in lighter fluid and begin working the keys that are sticking until the stickiness is gone. The naphtha in the fluid is great for eating through sugars without damaging the carbon surfaces of the keyboard. Keep the phone upright when you do this so the fluid does not run into the screen area.

If the fluid does not do the job while the phone is assembled, it will have to be dismantled and cleaned with the same fluid.

Worst case, the keyboard will need replacement.

Love Shandy by the way. It's a popular drink in the West Indies.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport Red Edition
    09-20-15 08:37 PM
    I'd watch what fluids you use, some will melt the plastic or discolor it.
    09-21-15 08:33 AM
    Hi jontadmor and fellow BBers. (long post):

I worked as a field sound recordist for many years before I retired. One time I had put a microphone connected to a wireless transmitter on a canoeist who knocked the transmitter into the Pacific Ocean. I pulled it out immediately by the mic cable, turned it off and took the batteries out, thinking it was finished. I took it into the maintenance department of the TV station I worked for. Since it had fallen into salt water the tech first soaked it again in fresh water for several hours to get rid of the salt, which is the biggest problem. After that he dried it gently using a heat-shrink tubing heater (but I would suggest a hair dryer). When he turned it on again the next day it worked perfectly and did so for many years.

My point is that fresh water, so long as there is no power applied or batteries involved, won't cause as much damage to electronics as one might think. Another trick is to put it in rice overnight to absorb the water. If it was me, I'd put a few drops of water directly around the keys that are sticky with the power off, leave it for a while, then use a dryer on low heat. Maybe do it a couple of times. I think the keyboard pad may be isolated from the electronics. Don't get any water in the speakers or mic on the bottom edge, or under the screen though, as they will probably be ruined.

I watched a youtube video showing how to completely take the PP apart. Personally I wouldn't try it unless it was a last resort. It's doable but I think the chance of not causing more damage is remote unless you do that kind of thing all the time.

As they say "the usual dislaimers apply". At this point it's up to you to decide how much you want to gamble, but again if it was up to me I'd try it with distilled water and be prepared to either get a new phone or live with the sticky keys just in case.

Good luck.
    09-21-15 11:04 AM
    Hello everyone,

Yesterday a glass of beer with sprite (Shandy) spilled on the table straight on my phone and it got soaked.
    I quickly dried it with a napkin and turned it off.
    I didn't really think something would happen but you know just in case.

Anyways an hour later I turned it on and looked like it works fine. The only thing I realize is different is the keyboard.
    There are some letters that are hard to press on, I mean you can press them but it's not easy as it used to be, it feels like they are kind of sticky down there and that's why it feels hard to press.

Any suggestions how I can get this fixed? The Ideal solution for me would be without needing to disassemble the keyboard.

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    A stated alcohol and Q-tips works great. It has worked for me on all of my older BlackBerries with Keyboards and my pc keyboard at work. Also, a can of compressed air won't hurt it either.....in case there are other issues(dirt, etc.). The alcohol dries in seconds.

Now......Shandy? Ok. No hating.

Uh, I'll stick with a boiler-maker.
    Last edited by Blacklatino; 09-21-15 at 12:35 PM.
    09-21-15 11:51 AM
    It looks like the keyboard will have to come off. There seems to be no way around it. If it is sticky under the keyboard, and it will be (judging by your description), the stickiness will start attracting dirt and maybe ants too. Over a period, the gunk will build up and may lead to further complications.

So it is best to have it stripped down and cleaned. All the best

Ugh, yeah, you really don't want to be using a phone that's full of ants.
    09-21-15 12:55 PM
    If you're reading this thread the definitive way to attempt a save on a wet phone is the following...

BTW, forget the bag rice trick.

1. Phone with removable battery remove ASAP, phone without removable battery TURN OFF ASAP.

2. Submerge the phone in isopropyl alcohol, not the kind you were drinking and spilled on your phone : )

3. Leave in alcohol for a 1 hour MAX more and the alcohol may start to desolve any glues in the phone. This should displace all the water or other liquid as well as stop any corrosion. I like to swish the phone around a bit.

4. Remove the phone and air dry over night to be safe (alcohol should evaporate very quickly but I like to leave it anyway)

5. Power up your phone. This has worked with BlackBerry's, iPhone's and a samsung or two.

NOTE depending on the situation the damage may have been instant when it became wet and there may be no saving it.

Posted via CB10
    BerryRipe likes this.
    09-21-15 01:08 PM
    Who the f drink beer with cold drink xD

Posted via CB10
    Shandy (https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/shandy) is a popular refreshing drink, especially in cultures where the beer tends to be stronger... eg the shandy I often drink in the summer in the UK (50/50 beer/lemonade mix), probably still has a higher alcohol percentage, than some of the refreshing lagers I used to drink in the US.

It's also often drunk by people who will later be driving, and want to be able to have a couple of pints, but still be 'under the limit'.
    Last edited by BigAl_BB9900; 09-22-15 at 12:37 AM. Reason: edited due to pedantic misinterpretation
    saint613 likes this.
    09-21-15 02:46 PM
    So are we saying that in the Americas, shandy is not a thing? Coz here in the uk it's a standard drink, sold in cans everywhere and pubs all over the land, mostly to the poor soul who's out but trying not to get drunk, or by parents risking a drink for their underage but close to legal kids so they can acclimatise to the beer hehe.

(not that I recommend nefarious shenanigans such as that)

Posted via CB10
    I was just going to say, this sounds like training beer.... which I would have had to start drinking at the age of 12... but no, in Canada we do this without training wheels.

I'd say I was the only one who wrote 6th grade finals with a hangover but I distinctly remember there being seven of us. Thankfully no adult remarked on why my Smurf backback smelled like Crown Royal.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-15 03:44 PM
    Watering down beer is just wrong, why not throw some ice in there too?!

Via Passport 
    Haha no kidding...why not pour in a shot of whiskey instead of sprite?

Posted via CB10
    09-21-15 03:50 PM
    That's what you get for watering down your beer!
    extisis likes this.
    09-21-15 06:06 PM
    It's also often drunk by people who are driving, and want to be able to have a couple of pints, but still be 'under the limit'.
    Hmmm ... Cuppa shandy in the cupholder, blackberry in one hand, DVD playing a movie ... yeah I love this driving thing!
    09-21-15 07:54 PM
    You can try dousing the keyboard in lighter fluid and begin working the keys that are sticking until the stickiness is gone. The naphtha in the fluid is great for eating through sugars without damaging the carbon surfaces of the keyboard. Keep the phone upright when you do this so the fluid does not run into the screen area.
    Of course after dousing it with lighter fluid you can light it with a match. It probably won't work after that though.

I can't believe I'm the only one who thought that after reading that post.

Of course I'm joking.

T-Mobile  вιaсĸвεггч� Passport � Autoloaded 1.2582 Sachesi to 10.3.1.2744 to 2.680 to 798 to 2204 to 2339 to 2639
    09-21-15 08:05 PM
    09-22-15 12:33 AM
55 123