So I took the plunge a few days ago and purchased a Blackberry Passport on eBay after doing a bit of research - I am not huge on apps as I mainly use my phone for web browsing, texting, phone calls. I may dabble with a few other things in the amazon store and Blackberry World Store, but not much.

My question is this, for a Blackberry Passport newbie, and someone who hasnt owned a blackberry in a number of years - are there some "best practices" for getting the phone set up and optimized?

I have a factory unlocked Passport, that will be used on the T-Mobile network in Chicago, IL primarily. I definitely would like to use T-Mobile's Wi-Fi Calling feature as services is relatively poor in the apartment.

I just really want to hit the ground running when I get home tonight to set up the phone. So if there are some key apps, downloads or set-up processes I should go through I would love to hear from the experts.

Thanks in the advance, very excited to start using the phone tonight!
    12-23-16 03:23 PM
    For me, the biggest "lesson learned" was to get really familiar with the kb features. As a tip, I've found that using the word suggestions is easiest if you swipe lightly, and at a slight diagonal toward the center. That seems to keep me from inserting unintentional punctuation from the soft row right above the physical keys.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    Tstark14 likes this.
    12-23-16 06:15 PM
    Lucky you! The Best BB10 Os device!

Posted via CB10
    David Tyler likes this.
    12-23-16 08:18 PM
    If you don't care the apps. Passport will be the best choice. Just get used to the kb. You will love this device.

Posted via CB10 with passport SE.
    12-23-16 08:31 PM
    First off the Passport is a nice phone. Not cream of the crop, but unique in its own way and make one come back for more.

Now to your situation, I would have recommended a different phone for you base on the comment about pour reception on T-Mobile. The Passport works fine on T-Mobile, but it doesn't work great in a pour reception area on T-Mobile.

As for Wi-Fi calling.....you can install the T-Mobile android APK Wi-Fi calling app. But the last I heard it wasn't headless. Meaning that the app may or may not take incoming calls if you not in the app its self.
    12-23-16 09:01 PM
    Make sure to test out the dictation feature. It's really good and accurate. And it's one of the most underrated aspects of blackberry.

Posted via CB10
    85_305 likes this.
    12-23-16 09:56 PM
    Thanks for the advice everyone. Early returns are really positive. Really want to check out the maps tomorrow.

Phone has made reference to completing sms and phone calls "via wifi." though I have not yet downloaded the tmobile app.

Screen is gorgeous. Getting used to the keyboard, but there are things to like right away. Need to check out the dictation feature.

If there are any tips and tricks or advice I would definitely take them!

Posted via CB10
    12-23-16 10:42 PM
    When browsing the Internet, use the space bar to page down rather than touching the screen.

Be patient adapting to keyboard.

When swiping up to choose words, start from below the bottom row.

Posted via CB10
    12-24-16 12:23 AM
    Dont install any android app even cobalt's play store. Believe me you dont need it!

Posted via CB10
    jefbeard911 likes this.
    12-24-16 03:43 AM
    Utilize both BlackBerry World and Amazon app store for apps.
    Keep in mind you can create homescreen icons from Web browser that will connect right to a social Web site via Web browser. Like Facebook. See the attached screen shot. My Facebook icon is not an app. It is a icon created by BlackBerry browser and applied to home screen. It's a direct link to Facebook. So when I tap it, it opens up right to Facebook as though it was an app.
    Only other thing is to make sure you go thru the whole phone. Check out every setting and feature. There's also Tutorial and help app which are very useful.
    Getting my Blackberry Passport Today - Any best practices for new owner?-img_20161224_083913.png

Posted via CB10
    12-24-16 07:52 AM
    If you have the urge to install an Android app, make sure you're also disabling some of the features of that app, etc location, notification, etc. It would save your battery's life.

BlackBerry Passport via CB10
    12-24-16 08:18 AM
    Work on learning keyboard shortcuts and add a few of your own. And read forums like this, I'm still finding new things.

Posted via CB10
    ahhhlain likes this.
    12-24-16 09:15 AM
    Dictation, I didn't know this, will try sometime. Thanks

Posted via CB10
    12-24-16 09:20 AM
    Give it a couple of days to settle down with the updates, it's going to get hot and the battery won't last long, but after that it will be much better.
    joseanmx likes this.
    12-24-16 10:14 AM
    Give the passport one to two weeks to get accustomed to it. Some people fly with it, others need time due to its uniqueness

Blackberry Passport and Blue Classic
    12-24-16 10:19 AM
    Stick to BlackBerry World apps if at all possible. I'd use a sub par BlackBerry World alternative over Android version simply because Android apps will open slower, drain your battery more, and lead to a degraded experience.

I have maybe 4 or 5 'must have' Android apps and :thats it.

He Hates These Cans! - Sent from my awesome BlackBerry Passport
    12-24-16 10:21 AM
    Ok I keep seeing people talk about wifi calling what exactly is it and why is it such a big deal I have the passport silver can I do it with at&t

Posted via CB10
    12-24-16 11:17 AM
    Ok I keep seeing people talk about wifi calling what exactly is it and why is it such a big deal I have the passport silver can I do it with at&t

Posted via CB10
    Wifi calling allows you to use your wifi network to make calls or act as your 'tower' of sorts.

For me in a high rise building or someone in a poor service area I can go from having 1 or 2 bars to what amounts to perfect 5 bar service by routing through wifi. So it's a way to get more reliable service. In the past wifi calls also didn't count against your minutes. For most people in late 2016 minutes aren't an issue it's about reliable and fast service.

Posted via CB10
    12-24-16 02:04 PM
    Wifi calling allows you to use your wifi network to make calls or act as your 'tower' of sorts.

For me in a high rise building or someone in a poor service area I can go from having 1 or 2 bars to what amounts to perfect 5 bar service by routing through wifi. So it's a way to get more reliable service. In the past wifi calls also didn't count against your minutes. For most people in late 2016 minutes aren't an issue it's about reliable and fast service.

Posted via CB10
    Oh gotcha thanks

Posted via CB10
    12-24-16 02:53 PM
    Dont install any android app even cobalt's play store. Believe me you dont need it!
    For me, Android apps broke KB navigation gestures. Deleted all of it and device is much happier.
    i use my Android devices for Android apps.
    12-24-16 06:18 PM
    Utilize both BlackBerry World and Amazon app store for apps.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20161224_083913.png 
Views:	270 
Size:	421.7 KB 
ID:	414776

Posted via CB10

Look how classy even this screen looks, compared to a mess that is Android app drawer. I don't get it, this simplicity and functionality can never be replicated in any other OS. BB10 was the best and I am sad to see it go. We sold our souls for few apps that we sadly have to use..
    12-25-16 12:39 AM
    Good for you for buying a Passport! Having a Passport is an experience that may never happen again.

The key is mustering the keyboard. I have had my passport for about two weeks and I am trying to be able to type on Passport without a single glance. I have had so much success. But still need improvement.

I appreciate if you guys share techniques you use for typing.
    Actually I have never been very good in typing on PC keyboard. But having a beautiful Passport in hand drives my desire to master blind typing.

Posted via CB10
    heading4tomorrow likes this.
    12-25-16 11:52 AM
    Spend a few hours going through all the settings and options, and drill down. Do this for the device settings and all of the app settings for the apps that are on the device now. You will get a sense of things and the BlackBerry way, and later you will have an idea where to look when you want do something or change a settings.

Set the Password Keeper to backup your password database to the BlackBerry cloud. This is one thing third-party backup apps cannot backup. You don't need to worry about BBM unless you change your BBID, as your BBM contacts are automatically backed up in association with your BBID.

Seriously think about using a third-party backup app, and setting it to make automatic backups. Link may connect to the device and do backups and restores now, but with a Windows update or a device OS update that functionality may get broken. You can always backup with Link and let the app do backups as well. Just don't rely on Link thinking it will always be there for you.

Write down your important information like your BBID credentials, the password to your Password Keeper app, wifi router password, any thing that you will need in order to do a recovery when you don't have your password keeper data yet.

Make backups often. Use your third-party backup app to export your contacts, calendar, remember app data, and things like that in a format that is machine readable on any other device, and copy those files to a location other than the BlackBerry.
    12-25-16 12:26 PM

Posted via CB10
    How can you say that?
    12-25-16 10:26 PM

Posted via CB10
    How do you propose we use the essential apps we need without installing android apps?
    Or do you mean don't install any android app markets, instead get the apk's and load them yourself?

There used to be a way to download APK's straight from the google play store using chrome extension on desktop, then transfer them to BB, but that extension broke I believe. The best best right now is to keep a cheap $10-$20 android app, download the apps and then extract APK's to BB.
    12-26-16 10:39 PM
31 12