Home CrackBerry Q&A > BlackBerry Passport

Getting a BB Passport - Android apps compatibility?

Asked: Jun 09 2016 | 10:03 am EDT 7422 Views 9 Answers View Best Answer

I'm thinking about getting a Passport but recently I read about Whatsapp cutting their support to the BB 10 Platform, I also read that you can install Android apps in BB 10, what is the current state of this compatibility???

Best Answer

Jun 09 2016 | 10:18 am EDT Bla1ze

Yes, WhatsApp will shut down at the end of 2016. Yes, you can run some Android apps, but the Android Runtime is based on Android 4.3 which is getting older now and some apps just simply won't work. For others, well, you can mess with them to get them working properly. - http://forums.crackberry.com/android...ctions-985344/

More Answers

Jun 09 2016 | 11:30 am EDT Jorge Barrios1

Doesn't look very promising... I currently own a Lumia 950 XL, so it's kind like something similar situation... but i always felt attracted to this phone because of his physical keyboard which is something that is extremely rare to find. I will try to think a bit more about it.

Jun 09 2016 | 11:41 am EDT keliew

The existing Whatsapp is still working well. There's no lack in it.

It would most likely mean it can survive for quite awhile until Whatsapp decide to do major changes, which I highly doubt it.

BlackBerry Passport via CB10

Jun 16 2016 | 9:04 am EDT ramiusm

I too use a Passport, and have loaded the Android version of Whatsapp from Cobalt's Google Play Store. It works for everything, except you cannot send pics or files. Receiving pics and files works fine. Also, when you use the web browser version of Whatsapp, together with the Android Whatsapp on the Passport, everything works perfectly 100%.

This should continue to work after 2016.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android

Jun 18 2016 | 4:42 pm EDT Maimone

From my experience: the Facebook application doesn't work, Chrome is very slow, eBay and YouTube work perfectly.

I am planning to remove the Play Store at some point anyway, I'm getting used to do everything through the browser and it's not much of a compromise. In some cases the browser with the desktop view is even better than the applications, some other times it's the opposite instead.

Posted via CB10

Jun 22 2016 | 8:41 am EDT ReinGutierrez

From my experience: the Facebook application doesn't work, Chrome is very slow, eBay and YouTube work perfectly.

I am planning to remove the Play Store at some point anyway, I'm getting used to do everything through the browser and it's not much of a compromise. In some cases the browser with the desktop view is even better than the applications, some other times it's the opposite instead.

Posted via CB10
You are using the Android YouTube? Wow how did you make it work? I also installed the Cobalt Google Playstore but I can't make it work. Everything what needs Google Play or something won't work for me.

Yes your right with the Browser, I'm also doing everything with the Browser it also work well.

 P A S S P O R T [ S E ]  | CB App |

Jun 22 2016 | 9:27 am EDT jayw_s

I rarely encounter android apps that can't do the job for me. I don't like relying on them so if the Web version is as functional I'll stick that on my home screen instead. All my news outlets, facebook and uber are just the Web versions and work fine.

Have got several versions of android whatsapp stored on my phone for the day the native version ceases. The native version works awesome so whatever gets used after that will be a step down but fingers crossed they're adequate when we all have to make the switch. It should be fine as long as notifications work bar perhaps few lost features so ask around. The passport is worth persisting with.

Posted via CB10

Jun 23 2016 | 4:05 pm EDT Maimone

You are using the Android YouTube? Wow how did you make it work? I also installed the Cobalt Google Playstore but I can't make it work. Everything what needs Google Play or something won't work for me.

Yes your right with the Browser, I'm also doing everything with the Browser it also work well.

 P A S S P O R T [ S E ]  | CB App |
I mainly use the YouTube "app" that came pre-installed which opens the browser, but I wanted to try some Android apps so I got YouTube from the play store, as well as Skype, eBay and Whatsapp. These all work normally like on my android device, the only thing is that a message pops up saying the apps need Google Services to be installed but I can just tap outside this window and dismiss it.

Jun 25 2016 | 8:48 am EDT dpgo

Skype open it ask for google plays services to call to real phones. I really don't know why an app like skype can require the google services...

It crazy to see how developers and software companies are using these functions when it is adds nothing but to lose freedom and compatibility...

IMHO we are in worse time than the old microsft times...

Posted via CB10