04-11-16 12:52 AM
35 12
tools
    Ubuntu phone would be cool, but MS has become sort of an underdog lately. I dislike Google more than MS. As far as data mining on Windows 10, I think you can avoid it. Not sure how they use your data in their mobile OS but will have to look into.

Data mining in our calendars and emails is really sort of scary. I have one gmail address and wish I did not use it at all.
    As for data mining, they all do, do it. Some hide it better than others, as for Windows 10 it can be shut off to a point, you just have to hunt around. One last thought at least with Google they are upfront, we want it all and to bad if you don't like it (and that's why I will stay for now with OS 10 and a APK blocking program for SNAP Apps).

Woof!
    04-10-16 08:21 AM
    Not sure that changing from a dying ecosystem to another that's barely alive is a wise choice. But that's just my humble 5c worth; each to his own...

Posted via CB10
    04-10-16 09:42 AM
    I plan to use my PP through 2016, but presuming now new BB10 phones I think MS operating system will be the best for productivity.

Sounds like it has something like Blend but maybe better in some ways. Of course, you avoid the data mining of Google and the simplicity and conformity of iOS.

MS is fighting its own app wars and low sales, but MS does not quit so easily or lose confidence in its work like some companies we know.

There is a big LumiaXL 950(?) or something like that which might be good now for some people leaving BlackBerry sooner.

Posted via CB10
    Too may mis-information my firend

if you're worried about data mining, then either Microsoft or Google are good for you. Microsoft has the exact same business model as google with Bing ads. For this iOS should be the better one.

Windows phone has more or less the same problem with apps, lacking some important apps present in both iOS and Android. It actually might be worse than BB10, since 90-95% of android apps work more or less fine on BB10.

Don't compare the "fight" microsoft has compared to blackberry. Microsoft can just bleed a bit of money in their smartphones, because that's just soem sidebusiness for them. Blackberry software revenue is a drop in the ocean, and it can't afford to have a smartphone division bleeding huge amounts of cash like microsoft does.
    04-10-16 04:06 PM
    Journalists like to spread rumours. Microsoft will not be focusing on mobile until Q3 / Q4, but they have made no indication that they will exit the hardware business. Their major losses are behind them with Nokia.

MS invested quite a lot to get the W10 mobile platform to where it is now, it would make no sense at all to quit just as they're done with building it (That's BlackBerry's special move).

Posted via CB10
    unfortunately their Q1 2016 reported another huge drop in the smartphones revenue, 52% to be exact.

It's a shame that smartphone business is down to 2 operative systems, when BB10 and WP were very comparable in capability and performance, just the app support that was lacking
    04-10-16 04:11 PM
    BlackBerry has absolutely stopped producing any BBOS or legacy device right? For 5 years. And they are all still working. Including the PlayBook. You can still buy and download apps from the store, albeit sucky, at that. BB10 does not use BIS so the chance to keep on living and working gets even bigger. You can still use your device till it breaks. Just having no update nor supports, is all.
    Think you missed my point and sarcasm, or I missed the meaning behind your post. It was more directed at those that are whining about updates etc, and how they seem to think they will need a new phone if they don't do updates anymore.
    04-10-16 04:54 PM
    Think you missed my point and sarcasm, or I missed the meaning behind your post. It was more directed at those that are whining about updates etc, and how they seem to think they will need a new phone if they don't do updates anymore.
    Ay... ok, my bad.
    04-10-16 05:38 PM
    As for data mining, they all do, do it. Some hide it better than others, as for Windows 10 it can be shut off to a point, you just have to hunt around. One last thought at least with Google they are upfront, we want it all and to bad if you don't like it (and that's why I will stay for now with OS 10 and a APK blocking program for SNAP Apps).

Woof!
    If our federal government were not corrupt, it would regulate this data mining. We have no idea how much data they have, how they store it and -- most importantly -- what they might do with it in 10-20 years. What if our society becomes less open and Google decides to sell bad information about us to the highest bidder?
    anon(9742832) likes this.
    04-10-16 05:46 PM
    Because MS gets much more profit from software than BB, so they have another alternative for profit if hardware isn't doing too good.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-16 11:15 PM
    No markmall, that is not true. Win 10 has a 'telemetry' system that sends info to microsoft. Said info might contain anything on your PC, the info is quite vague. Even on win 7 or 8 there are some updates that enable said 'telemetry'.
    More to the point: I have a win 8 phone. When it performs an update it will make a backup of the phone in the cloud without asking. There is no way to update without that backup. It means that microsoft knows everything you have on the phone and has a copy of it.
    You can disable the telemetry service... you just need a little know how. In windows you always have full control over the os as the tools are all there, its not like android... you can always control exactly what data comes in and out, you just need to be knowlegeable of the os. Whatever apps or built in functions collect data you can always find and disable the services and registry entries that enable it to work. Full control, it has been like that since windows 3.1.

Im not talking about windows phones but win10 os itself, just stating a fact that a lot of people who use different windows for 20+ years are aware of.

Also my concern with data mining is more related to performance of my devices, i dont want aditional background services sapping my batteries and system resources but a lot of people here seem to be conspiracy theory privacy fanatics even though just like me they most likely have nothing to hide. Data privacy is always a good point but in these forums its taken to an extreme all too often.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-16 11:47 PM
    I plan to use my PP through 2016, but presuming now new BB10 phones I think MS operating system will be the best for productivity.

Sounds like it has something like Blend but maybe better in some ways. Of course, you avoid the data mining of Google and the simplicity and conformity of iOS.

MS is fighting its own app wars and low sales, but MS does not quit so easily or lose confidence in its work like some companies we know.

There is a big LumiaXL 950(?) or something like that which might be good now for some people leaving BlackBerry sooner.

Posted via CB10
    Blackberry, I didn't hear no bell!!

Posted via CB10
    04-11-16 12:52 AM
35 12