RBC pulled their native app support last year.

I'm not sure what this discussion is about really. My original post was that more and more apps ARE using Google Play Services, which further erodes the BB10 ecosystem. My post was nothing more than that.

RBC chose to use the APIs offered by Google Play Services for its app. I'm not here to defend them or offer a real explanation, other than it allows developers a lot of time saving tools. I was only speculating on what, specifically, RBC may have availed themselves of.

I'm also confident that the largest bank in Canada is not handing our banking information to Google.
    The RBC mobile website works great on BlackBerry 10 phones.
    01-23-16 11:10 AM
    The RBC mobile website works great on BlackBerry 10 phones.
    Can you do deposits?

Anyway, the RBC app was just an example of the ever growing list of Android apps now requiring Google Play Services - which was my original point.
    01-23-16 11:47 AM
    Future of BlackBerry 10?

See PlayBook, BlackBerry

I'm a huge BlackBerry fan, I have personally bought 3 Z10's, a Q10, Q5, 2 Z30's and a Passport. I've done my share for BlackBerry 10 over the last few years, but Chen is killing it.

He's not only given up on it, it's actively killing it. Things like killing off the Built for BlackBerry program and removing the designations from previously approved apps will only make BlackBerry World that much more of a waste land. That little logo is what gets me to look at and purchase apps, and now that it's going, devs might as well just port apps if they bother at all.

The OS is effectively feature locked and it won't be long until we start to see more and more things stop functioning on BlackBerry 10, whether it be apps or websites.

I've bought new devices annually but will be seeing my Passport into its third year with nothing new on the horizon. I've stopped recommending BlackBerry 10 even though I've recommended it to many even as late as last year.

I personally wouldn't buy a brand new BlackBerry 10 device as a new user today.

Posted via CB10
    01-23-16 06:21 PM
    Can you do deposits?

Anyway, the RBC app was just an example of the ever growing list of Android apps now requiring Google Play Services - which was my original point.
    Deposit of what? In Canada, nobody does cheques anymore. It's all electronic money transfers. I usually only ever do Internac cash transfers.

But if you want to do deposits, they are available on the mobile website. Apps are just mobile website wraps.

http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/mobile/cheque-deposit.html

But cheques are 5 day wait, Interac cash transfers are immediate.
    01-23-16 06:27 PM
    Deposit of what? In Canada, nobody does cheques anymore. It's all electronic money transfers. I usually only ever do Internac cash transfers.

But if you want to do deposits, they are available on the mobile website. Apps are just mobile website wraps.

http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/mobile/cheque-deposit.html

But cheques are 5 day wait, Interac cash transfers are immediate.
    Actually, you MUST use the app for mobile deposits. Your link verifies that.

I deposit several cheques a day using the mobile app. I have no holds on my company account.

This has turned into a weird conversation. What started as a simple, factual statement regarding the increasing use of Google Play Services in Android apps, has devolved into arguing about my particular use case for one banking app. It's important to me, and important to many other business people. I can only do it on my Priv, or on my BB10 if I use Cobalt's workarounds.

Mobile cheque deposits has become huge. RBC's app has been doing it for several months now, and Scotiabank just started a short time ago. BMO is almost ready to add the much desired feature to their app (when I asked the branch manager about it, she said people have been complaining about this missing feature).
    Attached Thumbnails Future of BlackBerry 10?-1453602794028.jpg  
    Last edited by conite; 01-23-16 at 09:26 PM.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-23-16 08:33 PM
    To OP, we can not have the correct answer. Just sure that BB10 users will have an update till the end of this year. Everything depends the company financial. However, at market of auto-drive car, BlackBerry is now a leader together their QNX ecosystem (BB10 is also based on QNX), IMO chance for BB 10 is possible.

Posted via The Beast Passport Red
    Calvin8181 likes this.
    01-23-16 09:23 PM
    I doubt that anybody still using BB10 today is a "typical" user.
    Typical user
    Future of BlackBerry 10?-received_10208279794852983.jpeg

Posted via CB10
    01-23-16 11:00 PM
    Actually, you MUST use the app for mobile deposits. Your link verifies that.

I deposit several cheques a day using the mobile app. I have no holds on my company account.

This has turned into a weird conversation. What started as a simple, factual statement regarding the increasing use of Google Play Services in Android apps, has devolved into arguing about my particular use case for one banking app. It's important to me, and important to many other business people. I can only do it on my Priv, or on my BB10 if I use Cobalt's workarounds.

Mobile cheque deposits has become huge. RBC's app has been doing it for several months now, and Scotiabank just started a short time ago. BMO is almost ready to add the much desired feature to their app (when I asked the branch manager about it, she said people have been complaining about this missing feature).
    My mistake. Still, all my transactions are using Interac transfers and EFT. I handle very few cheques. I may deal with one cheque per month. A good business will move away from cheques and go with EFT.
    01-24-16 04:32 AM
58 123