Further to my comment that many Android Apps are not supporting Andoid 4.3 and the news that BlackBerry ended it's designation for developers, BB10 apps there app eco system will become obsolete quickly. The writing is on the wall: the numbers of update BB10 apps seem to have dried up to a trickle...
    I have invested $700 of my hard earn money to acquired BlackBerry's flagship phone and just a year later it has lost all it's relevance and value. That is absolutely unacceptable!

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2876
    01-21-16 09:33 AM
    Further to my comment that many Android Apps are not supporting Andoid 4.3 and the news that BlackBerry ended it's designation for developers, BB10 apps there app eco system will become obsolete quickly. The writing is on the wall: the numbers of update BB10 apps seem to have dried up to a trickle...
    I have invested $700 of my hard earn money to acquired BlackBerry's flagship phone and just a year later it has lost all it's relevance and value. That is absolutely unacceptable!

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2876
    Should BlackBerry force the developers to make more apps?
    01-21-16 11:55 AM
    Let's answer that in business perspective, as long as BB10 is still profitable, BlackBerry will continue to support it. But again, the 'continual support' should still make them profitable... otherwise, what's the purpose of maintaining it?

Posted via CB10
    Did I miss something? Has BB10 ever been profitable? Or even close to profitable?
    01-21-16 12:22 PM
    Always the same story!! Bull****, how long is OS 10 available. Forget it's works perfectly, no problems, I don't need every day a update. All is ok.!!
    Enjoy your phone, make your job and have fun, with a perfectly device

I have two BlackBerry PP and all is perfect.

Posted via CB10
    Zeratul57 likes this.
    01-21-16 12:42 PM
    I'm sure BB10 will continue for simple, secure government communications, Apps are things those clients maybe believe are not such a concern, and the existing Apps won't need upgrades other than for security.
    End to end security has been established for BB10, not sure if Android/BB is as secure.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-16 01:42 PM
    More than five years or beyond
    Depends.

Posted from a wireless charging Passport. Get one!
    01-21-16 01:58 PM
    Always the same story!! Bull****, how long is OS 10 available. Forget it's works perfectly, no problems, I don't need every day a update. All is ok.!!
    Enjoy your phone, make your job and have fun, with a perfectly device

I have two BlackBerry PP and all is perfect.

Posted via CB10
    Your Passport, as is mine is functioning great, it's doing the things it is supposed to do. However, like in the PlayBook situation it doesn't take very long for this not to be the case. There are many baked in apps in bb10 that are heavily reliant on updates coming from BlackBerry. Dropbox, one drive,various social accounts. These apps may in future change login protocols or features that aren't compatible with the version on your phone. Then we're relying on BlackBerry to fix these, the million dollar question is will they? I've been here before and if past is anything to go by, they won't. Especially when the numbers are diminishing, less income is gained from it as the number of owners gets less.

That's why I feel the only thing that could save bb10 right now is another device because when they're gone they're gone. Before everyone jumps down my throat and says they won't build another, why would they, the others they built didn't make any money. Then look at it from a different business model. As mentioned previously BlackBerry may need to keep bb10 as an ultra secure device for certain markets listed above. In this case they COULD separate bb10 from their consumer android market, set aside resources to run as a separate entity under the BlackBerry flag and totally strip down the os to just it's core components which they spend less on and have more control over including ditching the dying runtime.

But, assuming you're a consumer, you have to ask yourself whether you would want a device like that other than issued from your company for work purposes?

BlackBerry seem to be trying to convince everyone that android is as secure as bb10 so how would they talk you round and sell bb10 without jeopardising their stance on secure android?

And, again, would need a device to convince people the os had any future at all which doesn't seem forthcoming.

All possibilities but highly unlikely. Imo

Posted via CB10
    01-21-16 02:01 PM
    Or all governments will now switch to hackable unsecure systems like hillary Clinton uses. You see hillary Clinton has proved that top secret data or higher than top secret information should live on crap servers in an apartment. This means secure phones and systems are no longer needed. Blackberry has now been clintonized into obsoleteism. Just email Barack O for more fairy tales. He can tell you that there is nothing to coverup on his watch and not a smidgen of corruption in government. Therefor everyone should use Windows 10 phones.

Posted from a wireless charging Passport. Get one!
    01-21-16 02:04 PM
    Before everyone jumps down my throat and says they won't build another, why would they, the others they built didn't make any money. Then look at it from a different business model. As mentioned previously BlackBerry may need to keep bb10 as an ultra secure device for certain markets listed above. In this case they COULD separate bb10 from their consumer android market, set aside resources to run as a separate entity under the BlackBerry flag and totally strip down the os to just it's core components which they spend less on and have more control over including ditching the dying runtime.
    There's a huge problem with this that did not used to exist when they were migrating away from the old BBOS, they have no real market penetration to begin with. A lot of the organizations that would use this high security device have already made other plans due to BB10\new BES not being available years ago and the lifecycle for these decisions is insanely long....

They no longer have much of an existing customer base to tap into for upgrades and their prospective customer base is very small (which costs a lot more to obtain that existing customers).

The consumer angle for BB is mostly gone at this point, they would need some sort of an iphone-esque hail mary to fix that...
    01-21-16 06:32 PM
    Did I miss something? Has BB10 ever been profitable? Or even close to profitable?
    We are probably missing a lot but one thing for sure, BlackBerry is a business oriented organisation. There must be business-wise reason for them to still 'commit' themselves to continuously support BB10 OS. The same business-wise reasoning why they have to produce devices running on Android platform.

Again, if BB10 is no longer profitable to BlackBerry, what's the point of maintaining it?

Posted via CB10
    01-21-16 09:15 PM
    We are probably missing a lot but one thing for sure, BlackBerry is a business oriented organisation. There must be business-wise reason for them to still 'commit' themselves to continuously support BB10 OS. The same business-wise reasoning why they have to produce devices running on Android platform.

Again, if BB10 is no longer profitable to BlackBerry, what's the point of maintaining it?

Posted via CB10
    Obligation.
    01-21-16 09:16 PM
    That is a problem, yes. It's made worse that more and more Android apps make use of Google Play Services too - even my banking app does now. At least Cobalt has provided some workarounds for the latter.

You have to take the good with the bad.
    Interesting...why would a bank share its money with Google? Have they all become Google slaves now?
    Are we moving to a world controlled by one company? Is Google going to provide food and water soon?
    01-21-16 11:13 PM
    Interesting...why would a bank share its money with Google? Have they all become Google slaves now?
    Are we moving to a world controlled by one company? Is Google going to provide food and water soon?
    Google Play Services offers a full suite of Api packages for developers to save them a lot of time. I suspect that the Bank makes use of the location and mapping APIs.
    01-22-16 06:32 AM
    Don't banking apps already have access to the phones' location? Why would they need Google play for that. They have the carrier and the phone itself. You do not need Google services running on a phone to know its exact location. Emergency services don't use Google services, or at least did not a few years ago and they could still identify your location, nor do some BB10 devices.
    My TDBANK app works fine in BB10 and I have never had Google maps or any Google services or Google account on any of my cellphones and laptops...
    01-22-16 07:12 AM
    It will be the most secure operating system ever by BlackBerry! The less people used it the better, and more secretive and more secure it is.

This is the strategy to be secure for BlackBerry 10. It has a future but it is not meant for typical users like us.

Posted via CB10
    MGDania likes this.
    01-22-16 07:17 AM
    My TDBANK app works fine in BB10 and I have never had Google maps or any Google services or Google account on any of my cellphones and laptops...
    Well RBC does use Google Play Services, and it's not a conspiracy. The mapping/location features of Google Play Services are much more extensive than a single satellite fix.

Also, maybe RBC Wallet uses some of the Google Wallet Api?
    Last edited by conite; 01-22-16 at 08:35 AM.
    01-22-16 07:20 AM
    It will be the most secure operating system ever by BlackBerry! The less people used it the better, and more secretive and more secure it is.

This is the strategy to be secure for BlackBerry 10. It has a future but it is not meant for typical users like us.

Posted via CB10
    I doubt that anybody still using BB10 today is a "typical" user.
    01-22-16 09:23 AM
    Well RBC does use Google Play Services, and it's not a conspiracy. The mapping/location features of Google Play Services are much more extensive than a single satellite fix.

Also, maybe RBC Wallet uses some of the Google Wallet Api?
    It's cellular tower triangulation, not sattelite fix.
    I am sure the RBC app you are talking about is not a Bb10 native app.
    My TDBank one is and it works fine without Google. So no, there is no reason other than slavery for a bank to use Google play services.
    As you read in the BBC news link below, everyone has its price, even Apple, and that's how Google gets world domination. They simply have far too much, it seems uncontrollable, power.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-35380696
    01-22-16 09:24 AM
    Google Play Services offers a full suite of Api packages for developers to save them a lot of time. I suspect that the Bank makes use of the location and mapping APIs.
    As a developer, there is no way that I will use Google Play Services.
    01-22-16 09:29 AM
    My TDBank one is and it works fine without Google. So no, there is no reason other than slavery for a bank to use Google play services.
    RBC pulled their native app support last year.

I'm not sure what this discussion is about really. My original post was that more and more apps ARE using Google Play Services, which further erodes the BB10 ecosystem. My post was nothing more than that.

RBC chose to use the APIs offered by Google Play Services for its app. I'm not here to defend them or offer a real explanation, other than it allows developers a lot of time saving tools. I was only speculating on what, specifically, RBC may have availed themselves of.

I'm also confident that the largest bank in Canada is not handing our banking information to Google.
    01-22-16 09:38 AM
    As a developer, there is no way that I will use Google Play Services.
    OK.
    01-22-16 09:41 AM
    RBC pulled their native app support last year.

I'm not sure what this discussion is about really. My original post was that more and more apps ARE using Google Play Services, which further erodes the BB10 ecosystem. My post was nothing more than that.

RBC chose to use the APIs offered by Google Play Services for its app. I'm not here to defend them or offer a real explanation, other than it allows developers a lot of time saving tools. I was only speculating on what, specifically, RBC may have availed themselves of.

I'm also confident that the largest bank in Canada is not handing our banking information to Google.
    I don't know about RBC but Rogers hands over your data to Cisco and its US servers if you click on the agree button when you install their home wireless Internet router. If you do not agree, you cannot install it.
    I faced them with that and moved to Bell since they refused to give me back my old router. They did not argue at all with the facts.
    So, all your PC, tablet, phone data, and traffic exchange with your bank can go to them..
    01-22-16 09:50 AM
    Funny part is that RIM was a huge fan of security by obscurity back in the day...
    01-22-16 05:01 PM
    Personally, I don't think they could ever truly get out of the handset business. I don't think they will make any FLAGSHIP phones anymore. I think their phones will be on the low end spectrum and keep the leap and classic design. Along the lines of a cheap, easy to buy in bulk phone.

They can only truly secure their own phones. I don't think Android could ever be 100% secure.

This all might be wishful thinking as I really don't want BB10 to go away. It's been my go to choice for almost three years.

Posted via my Classic running on T-Mobile unlimited data SQC100-4/10.3.1.2267
    01-22-16 06:19 PM
    I hope they keep making passports...love this phone and would buy another one when this one is done.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    01-22-16 06:53 PM
58 123