I have my Passport over a week now. I'm really loving it but the keyboard is taking some getting used to. So this weekend I met up with old friends for a stag (bachelor party). While having a meal I pulled my Passport out to take some photos and the reaction was crazy. "What is that thing" and "I thought BlackBerry were dead" amongst others. My friends are cool and I was surprised at how much they reacted. Two jokers ripped into it. I didn't mind. Though I thought what I read here on CB didn't happen ; other people's posts about people's reactions. I did have the opportunity to chat and discuss BlackBerry and bb10 and the Passport experience to a few of them. They were impressed and believe choice is good!

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR and MBrettH like this.
    08-28-16 03:21 PM
    When something becomes controversial and the other person feels wrong or jealous then personal attacks are sometimes made. There is no good reason to attack the company but yet they did. Out of pure confusion, and the fact that you know something great and they dont. At this point, if Blackberry wasn't one of the greatest company's on the planet do you think they would exist at all? JMHO.
    08-28-16 03:28 PM
    What does it matter what phone you choose? It seems that you need a change of friends, not a change of phone.
    08-28-16 03:31 PM
    Your friends, if they come to be shocked by the Passport, are still right and still your friends. I have one of the first Passports because it was a Must Have. It is weird, rare, awkward, unstable, not handy but it's mine. The Germans are practical people and they call a mobile a handy. The Passport is not handy. It is not a mobile. It is a just a strange funny way to bring a great brand to crash.

Posted via CB10
    08-28-16 04:06 PM
    I believe we all have gone through this. But what I love the best after showing what it can do, hearing the "ha ha" turn into "oh".

Posted via CB10
    08-28-16 04:32 PM
    Did they know that it can run android apps too?
    moyah8 likes this.
    08-28-16 04:35 PM
    Perhaps they're just making fun of you..

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    08-28-16 05:05 PM
    I have been getting more complements lately from the late teen early twenty crowd. Have had a passport from the initial release and even more now getting complements. People saying 'cool phone'. Etc

Posted via CB10
    kjtaylor1 likes this.
    08-28-16 05:12 PM
    Funny, I always tease my friends that have iphones, that I've seen them for sale at Toy R US or Dollar General...

Posted via CB10
    acovey likes this.
    08-28-16 05:37 PM
    Perhaps they're just making fun of you..

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Well actually this is true. It was all in jest and believe me these are my nearest and dearest, they're not going anywhere. Honestly it's fine, the Passport is an oddball device but I like it. The reaction was funny. Also we were pretty drunk

Posted via CB10
    08-28-16 05:40 PM
    It's funny, no more no less.

Posted via CB10
    08-28-16 06:26 PM
    It is really interesting when a non-BB10 user sees the Passport for the first time then compares to their Apple or Android device.

Other than 'eye candy' and access to a large software base, BB10 runs circles around their hand phone for speed, simplicity and use.

It amazes me why BB10 has not been embraced by more folks.

You can only blame BlackBerry for its failure to properly provide advertising.

 BlackBerry Passport SE on Rogers in Victoria BC Canada to CB 10
    08-28-16 06:31 PM
    I have a new passport and I love this os. The concept of the hub is brilliant yet simple and so smooth. I always liked physical keyboards too. I love the true multitasking function and the great battery life. I can forgive the poor app store because I have an iPad for games. I did use cobalt's solution to get the Google play store but I don't think I will use it much except for kindle reader.

Posted via CB10
    08-28-16 06:55 PM
    I have a Passport and dread the day I might have to give it up. Believe me, I love this phone. Friends see it and make the same wisecracks about it but after they see it a few times they start getting interested. Now, because of my Passport, a few friends have bought a BlackBerry. Pretty much all of my friends and coworkers have decided it is a cool phone with lots of good compliments about.... the great stereo sound, great looks, great keyboard, great screen, etc. Granted, I got lucky and got a red and black Passport so it really does look amazing but this phone also performs and next to an iPhone or Android it performs as well or better. I can't play Ingress or Pok�mon on it but that is only a minor flaw. I wouldn't trade this phone for another that I could play them on. I just use the Hotspot on my Passport and an old android to play those and remind myself of why I disliked that Android so much.
    08-28-16 10:59 PM
    I have been getting more complements lately from the late teen early twenty crowd. Have had a passport from the initial release and even more now getting complements. People saying 'cool phone'. Etc

Posted via CB10
    Don't you mean compliments?
    08-28-16 10:59 PM
    Bb10 and Passports still have their place. They are "retro" in the eyes of many.

I've had the same reactions to my Passport.

Interestingly, the reactions to my Priv have been extremely positive. Until they ask the brand.

Not just with regard to phone but just in general, people are such sheep. It makes me really reflect on the power or marketing, or a lack of it.

Ride or die:  PRIVelege-acy
    08-28-16 11:45 PM
    My Passport is waiter-bait. Every other waiter at every restaurant I've gone to since I moved to my black original Passport asks "WHOA, what is THAT?!".
    08-29-16 08:44 AM
    Not Passport, but Z30 at a party. A friend noticed the BlackBerry logo and called two of his friends over. They looked and when I went to hand over the phone so they could feel the weight/feel-in-hand, they seemed scared to touch it. Turned out, they were Apple employees.
    LyoobaBerry, kjtaylor1 and MBrettH like this.
    08-29-16 12:48 PM
    Just tell them your passport has a built in tip-calculator, that ought to shut them up. I'm assuming that you're an adult since you were at a bachelor party, thus, you made the choice to use a Passport, suck it up and be proud. Or just don't show it in public.
    08-29-16 01:56 PM
    Your friends, if they come to be shocked by the Passport, are still right and still your friends. I have one of the first Passports because it was a Must Have. It is weird, rare, awkward, unstable, not handy but it's mine. The Germans are practical people and they call a mobile a handy. The Passport is not handy. It is not a mobile. It is a just a strange funny way to bring a great brand to crash.

Posted via CB10
    First...Every time I hear someone go totally off the edge over a small handheld mobile device , I have to question their state of mind. If you can't keep your cool over a toy, how will you ever be able to deal with real practical matters... like life, for instance!!

This NEW AGE we're living in called "Digital" is still in it's infancy . Mobile devices are nothing more than very sophisticated toys to use for connecting to social networks so you can share your Photo's, video's, music and to let the world know where you are, where you're going, when you get to where you're going and why you went there in the first place.
    And let's not forget the all important games to distract you from doing something that may become useful to you when you grow up. (and of course, I'm just expressing MY opinion which is probably nothing more then an excuse for someone to question MY state of mind!)

Now regarding your reply:
    In the years I've been a member here, I try to "suggest" that when making these kind of controversial comments you add "IN MY OPINION." to those comments. I can't explain why but it seem to work, in that you won't get so many needless ,rude, mean replies because, after all, for as many people that feel the way you do about the Passport, about Three times as many people feel the complete opposite.way.

You'll never find THE perfect mobile device that "just works." It doesn't exist.,yet. And the day they do get it right cell phones will be taken off the market and replaced by some kind of chip implant. And then, of course by that time the machines will have taken over. So enjoiy what you've got while you can.

That's why we have the gift of choice. That's why we also have the choice to look ahead with a positive attitude instead of wasting time and useless energy on the negative..

Where is YOUR practicality. ??? Your personal negative opinion helps no one. because ANYONE with the slightest bit of practicality will have the good sense to search for many more opinions and information before investing in ANYTHING!!" .

I bought my Passport the day it was released to market. I have never had one single problem. The only difference between the software you installed in your device and the software that countless others have installed in their device points to the person that installed the software.... because we all have the same software.
    Now ,only you have the power to deal with the weird, rare ,awkward and not handy stuff. And if you're practical you'll figure that out on your own.

As far as your device running in an unstable manner the most common problem tends to be from a corrupt file or outdated software. . And , I'm sure you can figure out how to fix that.

THere is only one major thing in life that is A MUST. it's called dying! The ONLY reason a not handy handheld mobile device would be considered a must, would be caused by your own insecurity as to what others may think.
    If you plan on keeping your Passport "But it's mine," Then why not stop looking for all the negative... because it will just continue to act negative.
    Simply turn it into a positive experience.
    It's really a very easy process. All ya gotta do is want to!

Or get rid of the horrible contraption and find some device that will make you happy.
    Because in the end, as far as your reply goes. no one really cares to here about useless negative opinions.

Ya know, you could have said exactly the same things you said so negatively but in a positive manner. If you ever really want to be heard and taken seriously you might want to change your attitude.
    (Again, it's just a suggestion and only an opinion) From what I've experienced though, Positive always trumps the negative
    But what do I know> I can'r even remember what I had for breakfast!!
    08-29-16 02:45 PM
    I have no problems with Family or friends about my Passports or Z30, all are I phone users and are used to me being a lone Blackberry user, my Passports have been excellent with no faults and they meet my personal needs mainly used as mini Tablets with a Z30 or Z10 as secondary phone as I always carry two with me, have had polite interest about Passport especially the Red one from strangers when they see me using it but never negative comments, when asked what phone I use in conversation I say Blackberry and why not? proud to be a Blackberry owner.
    08-29-16 04:49 PM
    First...Every time I hear someone go totally off the edge over a small handheld mobile device , I have to question their state of mind. If you can't keep your cool over a toy, how will you ever be able to deal with real practical matters... like life, for instance!!

This NEW AGE we're living in called "Digital" is still in it's infancy . Mobile devices are nothing more than very sophisticated toys to use for connecting to social networks so you can share your Photo's, video's, music and to let the world know where you are, where you're going, when you get to where you're going and why you went there in the first place.
    And let's not forget the all important games to distract you from doing something that may become useful to you when you grow up. (and of course, I'm just expressing MY opinion which is probably nothing more then an excuse for someone to question MY state of mind!)

Now regarding your reply:
    In the years I've been a member here, I try to "suggest" that when making these kind of controversial comments you add "IN MY OPINION." to those comments. I can't explain why but it seem to work, in that you won't get so many needless ,rude, mean replies because, after all, for as many people that feel the way you do about the Passport, about Three times as many people feel the complete opposite.way.

You'll never find THE perfect mobile device that "just works." It doesn't exist.,yet. And the day they do get it right cell phones will be taken off the market and replaced by some kind of chip implant. And then, of course by that time the machines will have taken over. So enjoiy what you've got while you can.

That's why we have the gift of choice. That's why we also have the choice to look ahead with a positive attitude instead of wasting time and useless energy on the negative..

Where is YOUR practicality. ??? Your personal negative opinion helps no one. because ANYONE with the slightest bit of practicality will have the good sense to search for many more opinions and information before investing in ANYTHING!!" .

I bought my Passport the day it was released to market. I have never had one single problem. The only difference between the software you installed in your device and the software that countless others have installed in their device points to the person that installed the software.... because we all have the same software.
    Now ,only you have the power to deal with the weird, rare ,awkward and not handy stuff. And if you're practical you'll figure that out on your own.

As far as your device running in an unstable manner the most common problem tends to be from a corrupt file or outdated software. . And , I'm sure you can figure out how to fix that.

THere is only one major thing in life that is A MUST. it's called dying! The ONLY reason a not handy handheld mobile device would be considered a must, would be caused by your own insecurity as to what others may think.
    If you plan on keeping your Passport "But it's mine," Then why not stop looking for all the negative... because it will just continue to act negative.
    Simply turn it into a positive experience.
    It's really a very easy process. All ya gotta do is want to!

Or get rid of the horrible contraption and find some device that will make you happy.
    Because in the end, as far as your reply goes. no one really cares to here about useless negative opinions.

Ya know, you could have said exactly the same things you said so negatively but in a positive manner. If you ever really want to be heard and taken seriously you might want to change your attitude.
    (Again, it's just a suggestion and only an opinion) From what I've experienced though, Positive always trumps the negative
    But what do I know> I can'r even remember what I had for breakfast!!
    Hahahaha! In my opinion, you are right! Thanks for giving voice to the rest of us who read it, looked at his/her post count, and moved on. Two things up. Hahahhahahhhaha!

Ride or die:  PRIVelege-acy
    anon(3732391) and MBrettH like this.
    08-29-16 05:00 PM
    I have to add - there are two certainties in life, not just one. You forgot taxes. :P

Posted via CB10
    anon(3732391) and MBrettH like this.
    08-29-16 05:23 PM
    I am going to tell you why BB10 is on death's door and your Passport is considered such an oddity.

This is all TRUE (in my opinion).

First, someone at BB decided that the iPhone was a toy and would never catch on. BB was doing so well, someone there in a position to make a difference refused to put resources on the problem, becauee there was no problem--the same person who thought that the Titanic was unsinkable. I am going to call this nameless person the captain. The captain did not need "marketing." His ship was too great. He was like Boeing or Oskosh. Captain did business in smoke filled, back rooms with caviar and champagne on the table. Captain was initially amused that non corporate types liked his offerings, and fretted that they would be a bunch of whiners and complainers. And they were, for the most part.

Second, like the Titanic, once the captain recognized imminent danger and gave the order to turn, it took several miles for the ship to respond. Someone at BB, maybe the captain, decided that what made the iPhone unique was the slab design,. So they slapped a sheet of glass and a VKB on BBOS, and the screen CLICKED. Meantime, captain, who still pined for his old click wheel, fretted over putting a ball or a motion sensor trackpad on his phones. He GRUDGINGLY considered making a touch screen device. Maybe he had short thumbs and, truly, isn't a BB supposed to be operated with thumbs?

BB decided the slab was ill received, so it went back to its core: PKB devices. Since BB already provided you with everything you need to communicate, apps were, as always, a hacky affair, barely welcome in the app store; initially, there wasn't even a way to pay for/get paid for them. Meanwhile, Android appears and Apple decides "if it is a toy, it will be a GREAT toy," laying apps like bricks, left and right. Googledroid reaches the same conclusion and promises devs the moon. Now, BB just starts looking old and stodgy. Titanic is beginning to turn, but only slightly. Iceberg looms. Captain knows what is going to happen.

BB buys QNX. Generates excitement. The same software that powers nuclear power stations! We will soon have flying cars and dinner will be a pill! Buy a nuclear powered BB! BB makes a new OS and it is GOOD. Starts thinking about how great it would be on a slab phone. Sadly,. the captain can only hold so many things in his head because the alarms are sounding and the band is still playing, and apps are not really considered. He directs the Playbook to be released to make use of QNX and showcase some BB10 ideas, but it is crippled device, released before ti was ready. BB abandons it. BB's reputation goes from the rim to the toilet itself, even among the faithful.

Devs, saddled with a capitalistic need to make a living, are flocking to Android and Apple. BB has a few stalwart devs, and some of them do okay. There are a few BB10 apps. Some really good ones. But, typically, there is this initial difficulty because BB won't release the API/Whatever so they can be headless, so even using the good ones is a PITA. That finally happens but it is too late. The Titanic is not just taking on water, it is sinking.

BOOM. Passport arrives, followed closely by the Classic. Z30 is also in the mix. These are nice devices. NICE. The Passport in particular is a BOLD MOVE. But the app problem has gotten to be insurmountable. So, captain decides, we will allow ANDROID apps to be loaded. Yes! ANDROID. You get BB and Android both! BBANDROID. The best of all worlds. Except, the captain receives unanticipated hostility from Google, so he had to settle for Amazon apps. Amazon is okay. Amazon had free apps every day. Amazon is a little second rate. Just a little. Amazon liked the idea. But Amazon doesn't have all of the apps, and doesn't get all of the updates. And, um, the solution really wasn't perfect; it still isn't perfect. It is a hit and miss kind of thing. Android is not dependable on a BB. Captains of industry scoff when told they need to hunt an old APK file because the "runtime" wasn't current. Employees want to bring their toys to work. And the toys are actually pretty good. The Captains of industry have devs make them apps--their OWN apps. The tech nerds' cries of "this is not a secure solution and I can't administer it" are ignored.

But the captain is not done yet. No, not by a mile. Captain decides "we have some... APPS. YES WE HAVE APPS: hub, contacts, a smart calendar, a cool keyboard. BB WILL BE THE DEV. WHY HAVE I NOT THOUGHT OF THIS BEFORE?!" he says. Oh, but what about the BB 7 and Playbook BB10 devices? Captain has no time for such sentimentality. Because, whatever might be said about naval tradition, this captain needs to keep the shipping company happy, not the passengers. Iceberg sinks ship.

So that's why people think your Passport is an oddity.

Now I may have mixed a metaphor here and there, but the conclusion is both obvious and inescapable: Passport and icebergs don't mix. Secondary conclusion: a party barge offers more enjoyment than a bass boat.
    Last edited by CharlieV; 08-29-16 at 05:52 PM.
    MBrettH and FabriciusFab like this.
    08-29-16 05:38 PM
    It never ceases to amaze me how what seem to be perfectly nice people can turn into outright bullies when it comes to your phone choices. I have an iPhone toting friend who introduces me to people I don't know as "his last remaining friend who owns a BlackBerry". It definitely opens the conversation but no matter what I might say, they still look at me like I'm some kind of crazy person.

I was at our next door neighbor's house for a BBQ and met some of their visiting family for the first time. I was chatting about work-related stuff with my neighbor's brother and I tried to look something up on my Priv. It wouldn't connect to the internet no matter what I did. The first thing out of his mouth was "maybe it's your POS BlackBerry"! WTF? I discovered it was trying to connect to our Wi-Fi router and was just at the cusp of being out of range, so neither it or cellular data was working. As soon as I turned off the Wi-Fi, it of course worked perfectly. But who would say such a thing to someone you just met 15 minutes ago? Oh right, he had an iPhone...of course he would say such a thing...
    MBrettH likes this.
    08-29-16 05:38 PM
95 123 ...