I'm the proud owner of an unlocked Passport which I purchased in October of last year. I love my device, and, like many others, believe it to be the best mobile device I've owned. But, just like many others, I've also experienced my share of headphone problems with my Passport.

When I unboxed my Passport, it came installed with OS 10.3.0.XXX (I forget the exact version), and I had zero headphone issues...at first. I use a set of Bose Quiet Comfort 15's, and fortunately my job is such that I can listen to music, or podcasts, or audiobooks all through my workday.

After a month or so, I started experiencing issues such as music playing fine for ten to fifteen minutes, then it would get static-y, then cut out completely. So, I used the diagnostic tool, and my headphones worked fine. Started up the music again, and after about five minutes, a very loud, piercing whine (like a hearing test tone on steroids) would staring blaring from my Bose. This would happen with any type of media I was listening to, be it streaming through the browser app, a podcast app, or the music on my media card.

So, okay. The diagnostic tool was a no go as a solution, as the piercing noise would happen EVERY TIME I went that route. So, next, I attempted using the ol' unplug, replug method. This did not work....at all.

So, of course, I did what most did and restarted the device, and this appear to resolve the issue...but, again, after a time, be it fifteen minutes, or a couple of hours, anything I was listening to would eventually go silent, and I would need to restart the phone once again.

Then, I upgraded to OS 10.3.1.XXXX (the infamous flickering version, I forget the exact number once again), so, now, my device flickered, and had headphone issues.

I installed a 10.3.1 OS leak, which fixed the flicking, but not the headphone issue. Then, my carrier had an OTA upgrade to OS 10.3.1.2576 (SR 10.3.1.1779). I decided to upgrade, but instead of just upgrading and not bothering with a backup and restoration, I did a complete backup, wiped the phone, installed the new OS, restored my backup, and everything was golden.

This was a few weeks ago, and up until the beginning of this week, I had never been happier with my device. No flickering, and zero headphone issues.

At the beginning of this week, I wanted to browse through some potential news apps. I hadn't bothered re-installing Snap, since I didn't have a need for it. But, now I did. I installed Snap, and found a news app I thought I'd like, and went on about my business. I also installed the android Amazon Shopping app and Amazon Prime Video app since I just got a prime membership.

I installed four new apps (including Snap), and the others being Amazon Shop, Amazon Prime Video, and BBC News.

The next day, at work, the headphone issue popped up again. Music died after ten, fifteen minutes. I performed the diagnostic app sound test, and after ten minutes, the piercing tone came screeching through my Bose. Did a restart, and again, after ten minutes or so, the music died. It was infuriating.

After a couple of days of dealing with the issue, I uninstalled Snap this morning, and restarted my device. I've been at work all day, and my headphones have not cut out on me once.

The Snap app appears to be the cause of my headphone issues. I suppose this is understandable since Snap isn't a an official Blackberry App, but it's kind of a drag that it interferes with one of main functions for which I use my mobile device. It also may have been the cause of the original issue back in my 10.3.0 days. It just didn't click with me back then.

Anyhow, if anyone out there is experiencing the same issues with your headphones or earbuds, and you have Snap installed, that may be the possible cause of your sorrows.
    05-20-15 03:54 PM
    Instead of having snap installed, look up the thread on installing google play store. Works flawlessly on my passport, and haven't used snap ever since. Didn't even put it on here since I upgraded my OS via autoloader

Posted via CB10
    05-20-15 03:59 PM
    I'm sorry but I really am having trouble finding a correlation between Snap (the third party application meant to install Android apps) and your headphones not working properly. How can one affect the other? I really think it's something else.
    Danny Ocean likes this.
    05-20-15 04:00 PM
    I'm sorry but I really am having trouble finding a correlation between Snap (the third party application meant to install Android apps) and your headphones not working properly. How can one affect the other? I really think it's something else.
    Hey, I don't understand it either, but the "cutting out" issue happened with both my Bose, and my Klipsch earbuds.

Backup phone, wipe phone, clean OS install, Snap not installed = no headphone problems

Installed Snap = headphone problems.

Uninstalled Snap = no headphone problems.

The simplest explanation is usually the correct one.
    05-20-15 04:05 PM
    Have you tried reinstalling snap since then? This is weird and doesn't sound like a software issue.
    05-20-15 04:46 PM
    Have you tried reinstalling snap since then? This is weird and doesn't sound like a software issue.
    Nope, haven't reinstalled, and most likely won't. In my experience, it's most definitely a software issue, as my headphones and earbuds work perfectly fine for hours on end on my iPod, or my laptop, or my tablet, or my...well, you get the idea.

I don't believe it to be a hardware issue, i.e., the headphone jack on the Passport, due to the fact that the diagnostic test always works fine. Audio comes through loud and clear....and I start listening to music, or whatever, and BLAM. A screeching high pitched tone which is brutal.

No Snap installed today, all day, and everything has worked perfectly. No cut outs, no static.

I'm curious as to why it seems hard to believe that Snap caused this issue, considering all the other wonky errors other Passport users experience.
    05-20-15 04:58 PM
    Good detective work, this ought to help others, thank you for taking the time to detail the issue.
    05-20-15 06:59 PM
    That's quite good 'trial & error' approach there...

I remember the story of the 'duck season'. It goes something like, 'if it act like a duck, quack like a duck, run like a duck, eat like a duck, etc. regardless it doesn't look like a duck, you can shoot it!'... the hunter shot his mother-in-law... not really funny, but somehow the 'SNAP' program fit on that logic...

Posted via CB10
    05-20-15 10:00 PM
    Android strikes again!

Posted via CB10
    05-21-15 02:51 AM