How does the fm radio in Passport work? I just got a Passport, don't have a sim card in yet, just WiFi, radio doesn't find any stations.
    12-01-16 06:41 AM
    You have a have a wired headset plugged in as an antenna to have it work
    12-01-16 06:49 AM
    FM radio (if available) may not work in Offline / Airplane mode.
    12-01-16 06:50 AM
    You have a have a wired headset plugged in as an antenna to have it work
    I finally added a sim card and the channels came up, I knew about the headphone. I guess it's not really fm but streaming, and apparently won't work without a sim card on just Wi-Fi alone, just curious of the tech aspects. Why not on WiFi and only on sim.
    12-01-16 06:59 AM
    I finally added a sim card and the channels came up, I knew about the headphone. I guess it's not really fm but streaming, and apparently won't work without a sim card on just Wi-Fi alone, just curious of the tech aspects. Why not on WiFi and only on sim.
    Oh well I did not know that.......i thought it was an actual FM tuner but I guess it's no better than any app then. Interesting

Posted via CB10
    12-01-16 07:16 AM
    It is real FM, over the radio waves. You needed to add the SIM so the radio software could figure out what region you are in to use the proper frequencies. I think once you do this, it will work without a SIM in the phone, as long as you don't wipe the phone and reinstall the software.
    12-01-16 07:25 AM
    It is real FM, over the radio waves. You needed to add the SIM so the radio software could figure out what region you are in to use the proper frequencies. I think once you do this, it will work without a SIM in the phone, as long as you don't wipe the phone and reinstall the software.
    Thanks for clearing that up Rob

Posted via CB10
    12-01-16 10:28 AM
    I haven't used the FM on my passport, but If it is anything like my Q5, putting the a sim in one time assists in determining local radio stations. Sim not needed after the one time connection.

Wired headphones are required as it acts as the antenna.

FM radio is a great feature in BlackBerry phones that I use quite often. No network connection (data or wifi) required. I should note that it is not available on the z10, and I believe that the dtek60 doesn't have it either (lower spec dtek50 does, I think, haven't tried it out yet though).

Actually listening to FM radio on my Q5 while typing this post on my z10.

Posted via CB10
    12-01-16 11:43 AM
    I'll test it when I get home, the sim is out now, so I'll fire it up to see if the frequencies are still there.
    12-01-16 12:01 PM
    OK, got home and tried radio without sim and the frequencies were still there just like you said.
    12-01-16 04:41 PM
    So it is an FM tuner... and they need the cell signal to determine location... for some reason they do not allow the GPS to determine location as a backup... I was working in an area of patchy signal awhile back and using the radio for music. Eventually the radio stopped working because the phone couldn't check the location.. it's kind of a silly setup for places with no signal but plenty of FM radio stations..

Posted via CB10
    12-01-16 05:01 PM
    So it is an FM tuner... and they need the cell signal to determine location... for some reason they do not allow the GPS to determine location as a backup... I was working in an area of patchy signal awhile back and using the radio for music. Eventually the radio stopped working because the phone couldn't check the location.. it's kind of a silly setup for places with no signal but plenty of FM radio stations..

Posted via CB10
    Not sure if they are using the SIM to determine an actual location, but just country. It would require some wiki searching for the details, but for example, the spacing or steps between the FM stations are different in Europe and North America. It is not getting the station listing via the SIM and data. This is done via an initial scan of the FM frequencies. Possibly it will not rescan if there is not a SIM in the phone. It may not even have to be an active SIM.

In your case are you referring to it stop working once you set it up even though you did not change the region you were in or changed SIM cards?
    12-02-16 04:01 PM
    Not sure if they are using the SIM to determine an actual location, but just country. It would require some wiki searching for the details, but for example, the spacing or steps between the FM stations are different in Europe and North America. It is not getting the station listing via the SIM and data. This is done via an initial scan of the FM frequencies. Possibly it will not rescan if there is not a SIM in the phone. It may not even have to be an active SIM.

In your case are you referring to it stop working once you set it up even though you did not change the region you were in or changed SIM cards?
    Hi.

The SIM (active or not) is not required, BUT, the cell radio must be on so it can ping the nearest tower for location. Then the scan will work.

In my case, I was camping in an area of patchy signal. So initially the FM app worked but after 5-6 hours without any connectivity it stopped playing radio stating it could not determine location.

This could be tested by using the FM radio while on airplane mode and seeing when it kicks you off. It would be nice if the GPS could be used as a backup.

Posted via CB10
    12-02-16 06:12 PM
    Just tested

the fm radio-img_20161203_182915.png

Posted via CB10
    12-03-16 10:31 AM
    I feel like clarification is still needed:
    You DO need to turn on the NETWORK to get the stations to be available. You DO need to have your headphones or a speaker wire plugged in for it to know it has a radio, it is the antennae.

You find it inside the preinstalled music app, the menu lets you pick it when the antennae is plugged in and the network is switched on.

You don't ever have to have a simcard for this to work.
    You dont have to leave the network on after you tune in, but it will time out after awhile without the network on.
    It does NOT need or use your data plan, which is why some carriers attempt to disable it, I suppose.

Once inside the radio, if you find the lower right hand menu, you can pick whether the sound comes through the wire / headphones or the speaker. Very handy!

A WORD OF WARNING FROM MY EXPERIENCE:
    OS update 10.3.2.2876 (or is it 2836?) disables the FM radio. It happened to my Blue Classic, and I have been fighting off letting it into my other BBs. Keeping the antennae in during the update if forced to get it or if you really want it MIGHT override this, I have had mixed / unproven results on 2 occasions with that.

As stated above, all BB10 phones have the FM radio installed except the Z10.
    12-03-16 04:46 PM
    A sim card is needed upon initial start up, as what happened to me in OP. But once stations are found/set up, the sim card can be removed and stations were still there. On my new BlackBerry pp on software release 2836 / OS 2876.
    12-03-16 05:06 PM
    Thanks 'tbg' - no sim installed so far in my (used) new Red PP and there are lots of radio stations to choose from and are able to play. So, confirm no sim card necessary to get fm radio stations.

What a CLASSIC!
    12-03-16 06:57 PM
    Thanks 'tbg' - no sim installed so far in my (used) new Red PP and there are lots of radio stations to choose from and are able to play. So, confirm no sim card necessary to get fm radio stations.

What a CLASSIC!
    Mine is a brand new not used so I guess that was the difference. Next time I factory wipe it, I'll see if the stations are still there.
    12-03-16 07:00 PM
    Where do I find the radio???

Forgiven
    12-03-16 08:28 PM

Plug in ear buds, open Music app, tap on triple lines, scroll down, tap on Radio.

Forgiven
    12-03-16 08:46 PM

Forgiven
    1) Open music app
    2) tap the menu at the bottom left
    3) Tap "radio"
    4) Plug in headphones, or any aux cable

Posted via CB10
    12-03-16 08:47 PM
    Ah been using nuetron so long forgot about the music app thanks

Forgiven
    12-03-16 08:48 PM
    A sim card is needed upon initial start up, as what happened to me in OP. But once stations are found/set up, the sim card can be removed and stations were still there. On my new BlackBerry pp on software release 2836 / OS 2876.
    Maybe the settings have changed for that OS, I did not need a simcard for the radio to work, just had to tturn on the 'NETWORK' button.

You have also answered my question about this update killing the FM radio; maybe my radio quit working on the classic for other reasons.
    12-03-16 10:00 PM
    You can get your FM radio work without headphones using this external antenna (very easy to make).

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...rself-1019267/
    12-06-16 11:44 AM
    Yup, any wire with a 3.5mm tip will work. Best reception with 3-6' cable (based on the principles of physics) but any will work.

Posted via CB10
    12-06-16 05:24 PM
28 12