05-02-15 01:35 PM
28 12
tools
    Coming from Z10, Z30 and now on Passport...I'm very accustomed to flicking words as I type.

The only thing that I can't seem to hit spot on is when the word you are going to say next is at the middle above the TY GH and spacebar.

For example here...I want to flick up "their"

Flicking up words on the Passport's keyboard-img_20150430_090604.png

So I flick up usually having my thumb starting at spacebar and sliding/flicking upwards but in doing so...I always hit either colon or exclamation mark as per this example.

Flicking up words on the Passport's keyboard-img_20150430_090628.png

Words that are either on the left or right side...I have no problem. It's just the words that are in the middle. Yes I can tap the word right on top and be done with it but since I'm flicking...it makes the flow faster especially when you're hammering out huge emails and you're on a roll with quick flicking.

Anyone else NOT hitting that sweet spot when flicking up the middle words?

 BlackBerry Passport on Telus Network
    04-30-15 12:45 PM
    It's the exact problem that I have as well. I think in regards to word flicking, the Z's have a slight advantage, as the word is directly above the letter. I suppose we can't have it all.... LOL!
    Of course, having a pbk is meant to be fast with pure typing in the first place...

...eleven BlackBerrys and counting....
    04-30-15 12:57 PM
    My fat thumbs find it all too easy to go that millimetre too far, yes. :7
    04-30-15 12:58 PM
    So now...as I type, the words usually slide over to the left side 98% of the time where it can be perfectly flicked up. The remaining 2%...I just continue typing instead of just tapping that middle word on the screen.

Oh well... I still love this Passport PKB. Touchscreen VKB, I loved that as well on both my Z10 and Z30 even more with word flicking.

04-30-15 01:07 PM
    I find this typically just to cumbersome. Far easier for me to just tap on the word and continue on.
    04-30-15 01:08 PM
    I find this typically just to cumbersome. Far easier for me to just tap on the word and continue on.
    I do that as well. I found that the flipping requires a too fast motion that you end up on the touch screen hitting some symbol. Just tapping the word works better.
    04-30-15 01:31 PM
    I use the flick-up of words but often, in trying to keep up the pace, I flick the wrong word! Then have to go back to correct it... I have occasionally flicked the shift button in error too. I do sometimes wonder if it would be quicker to just type & forget the flick-ups?

Posted on CB10 with my  Passport but previously my  Q10
    04-30-15 01:45 PM
    IMHO it's a gimmick. I've disabled the touch sensitive keyboard altogether and now only use it for typing, not for scrolling or flicking or anything else.
    04-30-15 02:22 PM
    I can't seem to get the words on the left side of the keyboard. Middle and right are not a problem.

I can type faster than flick though.

Posted via CB10
    04-30-15 02:28 PM
    IMHO it's a gimmick. I've disabled the touch sensitive keyboard altogether and now only use it for typing, not for scrolling or flicking or anything else.
    I'm not sure I agree with the term 'gimmick', it just may not suit everyone. While I do not use flicking all the time, when I am typing out long emails where certain components are repetitive, I often can swipe the words of two or three sentences before having to type again (and no, copy and paste is not what I can necessarily do in this scenario). Overall, this becomes a huge time saver for me.
    04-30-15 03:03 PM
    I'm not sure I agree with the term 'gimmick', it just may not suit everyone. While I do not use flicking all the time, when I am typing out long emails where certain components are repetitive, I often can swipe the words of two or three sentences before having to type again (and no, copy and paste is not what I can necessarily do in this scenario). Overall, this becomes a huge time saver for me.
    You are right there. I use this facility often, as it does save time when using similar sentences in multiple emails & messages. I just find that looking for individual words to flick-up can often be time consuming compared to just typing them out.

Posted on CB10 with my  Passport but previously my  Q10
    04-30-15 03:22 PM
    I also use this all the time since this is my first keyboard phone and the thumb tapping is coming very slowly. I was having problems flicking up the middle word until I realized I was focusing on the two lines of keys above the space bar. Remember to swipe up on the space bar as well and see if that helps.

Posted via CB10
    04-30-15 03:52 PM
    I think it would put the blame for this show is going well

Posted via CB10
    04-30-15 04:32 PM
    I disagree it is a gimmick!
    I have always loved this feature from my early days with the Z10!

There was a time on one of the leaks where I used to have some flicking problems on my Passport, but by and large, I have gotten so used to the flicking that I really depend upon it.

In my industry we use a lot of acronyms and lot of smart sounding long nerd-words, so flicking is very productive for me.

Posted via CB10
    04-30-15 05:02 PM
    I find that the fastest way to Input text to any document on the Passport is to just simply dictate. By holding down the microphone just above the period on the virtual keyboard you can dictate any text quickly and accurately. The more you use it the more accurate it becomes.
    I used the voice to text feature to create this post in less than 20 seconds.

Posted via CB10
    playboldbook and brian4591 like this.
    04-30-15 05:55 PM
    Left, middle, right... just swipe from the chin (below bottom row of letters and space) and I find it works 99.99% of the time.
    04-30-15 07:39 PM
    Left, middle, right... just swipe from the chin (below bottom row of letters and space) and I find it works 99.99% of the time.
    Thank you SO MUCH! You are 100% correct in that in order to flick up correctly and smoothly whether left, middle or right...just place your thumb start at the plastic bar/bottom area below the lower row of letters Z to M.

From there flick up and it's all good. Thanks for letting me know where the flick words "sweet spot" is located.

anon(9353145) likes this.
    04-30-15 09:27 PM
    I have had trouble with this as well. What I started doing is shortening my swipe motion. Every now and again it still happens but this has helped me deal with the problem. Most of the time I just type out what I am trying to say so this is not something that is unbearable.

Posted via CB10
    04-30-15 09:38 PM
    You adapt to it eventually. Swipe lower
    04-30-15 10:26 PM
    Not a gimmick if you use it. I use it all the time just fine.

Suffer Now & Live The Rest Of Your Life As A Champion
    04-30-15 10:30 PM
    Can you start a new paragraph with voice?

Posted via Passport  The Beast!
    04-30-15 10:49 PM
    Thank you SO MUCH! You are 100% correct in that in order to flick up correctly and smoothly whether left, middle or right...just place your thumb start at the plastic bar/bottom area below the lower row of letters Z to M.

From there flick up and it's all good. Thanks for letting me know where the flick words "sweet spot" is located.

Not just that but the motion is different from the one used on the full touch devices. In order to swipe words correctly on the Passport, the motion is a shorter compact flick, that starts from the "sweet spot".

If you flick like you do on the z30 or 10, you'll have errors all the time.

#dirtythirty #naturalsound #CB10 #glassweave
    05-01-15 12:41 AM
    Not just that but the motion is different from the one used on the full touch devices. In order to swipe words correctly on the Passport, the motion is a shorter compact flick, that starts from the "sweet spot".

If you flick like you do on the z30 or 10, you'll have errors all the time.

#dirtythirty #naturalsound #CB10 #glassweave
    That's exactly what I wasn't getting (the sweet spot). Because flicking from a VKB on the Z10 and Z30 was the same...it was only natural to do it the same way on the Passport's PKB.

Unfortunately...it's not the same. With the Z10 /Z30, as you type the words start to form from the letter you type which at anytime you can flick up right from that letter without completing the entire word.

On the Passport PKB, the words that BlackBerry 10 thinks you're going to say next is not directly above the letter like in the VKB Z10 /Z30 but in three locations on the left middle and right.

This was the learning curve in flicking words on a PKB. Now that i know where the "sweet spot" is, it's been all good. no more errors when flicking words.

05-01-15 02:26 AM
    Me too!

My flicking issues are always with the rightmost word, so I have always assumed that for me this is a 'fat fingers' issue.
    05-02-15 12:13 PM
    This was the learning curve in flicking words on a PKB. Now that i know where the "sweet spot" is, it's been all good. no more errors when flicking words.
    Even so; I still wish the: "swipe left to delete one word" gesture would change into: "swipe left to undo selection (...restoring what you had partially typed, before making it)", for the time immediately after selecting a predicted word (reverting to normal behaviour as soon as you carry on typing/selecting). :7
    05-02-15 12:35 PM
28 12