I liked the new sony walkman that was debuted at CES. I thought I might give my passport a try as my music player first. Does anyone play FLAC files on their passport? How is the sound quality?

Can someone also recommend a good over the ear headphones? I currently use beats sold, but that's on the ear and hurts after a while.
    01-13-15 08:27 PM
    The $1200 USD Walkman that requires an external power supply?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by dejanh; 01-14-15 at 12:19 AM.
    01-13-15 08:31 PM
    Yea that one. But the charging reviews were good.
    01-13-15 08:40 PM
    01-13-15 08:42 PM
    ATH-M50 is known to be pretty awesome. You can swap the earcups for velvet lined versions to make it even more comfortable.

Posted via CB10
    mister2d likes this.
    01-13-15 09:46 PM
    I have previously used countless over the ear headphones. Depending on the type of music you listen to, there are a number of headphones accordingly. I installed Jetaudio Full version (with all active plugins), and really the sound coming out of my Passport is excellent. Plays FLAC files without any inconvenience. For convenience and practicality, I no longer use headphones over the ear. I love jazz, and Passport with some Beyerdinamic 32Ohms DT990 is really sublime. Unfortunately I can not walk down the street with them, so I use my VsonicGR07 MKII regularly and am amazed at the sound quality too.

FLAC files on passport and hi res music headphones recommendation-img_20150113_235437.jpgFLAC files on passport and hi res music headphones recommendation-img_20150113_235424.jpg
    mister2d and RoboticGolem like this.
    01-13-15 10:08 PM
    FLAC sounds great on the Passport

using many different headsets, while on-the-go using Bose QC20, at the office I use wireless BT with aptX Plantronics Back Beat Pro, which for some music sounds great, but not the very best for classical or acoustics - but they have all the remotes I need directly on the ear-cups - and they do the job.

I see B&O is coming out with Beoplay H8, which looks gorgeous - and early reports tell a story about very comfortable headset with excellent sound (also aptX Bluetooth, and wired if you want)
    01-14-15 10:44 AM
    If you have a decent budget :

I would recommend a good pair of aptX BT headphones but be careful not just paying for name.

With any half decent headphones I tried they always sound better plugged into a DAC BT receiver than direct to phone.

If you buy BT headphones with built in DAC + Amp the sound is going to be as manufacturer intended, you won't have to worry about driving the headphones or having low volume on some less sensitive brands, you will not need apps like Neutron either over bt the default music app is fine.

If you want wired headphones then you also need neutron music player,
    I liked Philips M1MK11 or Monster DNA best which I tried wired. Even though think an extra $70 for bt worth it.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-15 01:45 PM
    Hmm in my opinion if you are going with FLAC then don't consider Bluetooth 'phones, even Apt X still has some form of compression, plus its something else to have to charge or change the batteries on. Now if your use case is for this to be your daily rider then they'll do the job when you factor in noise distractions etc from your commute. I play my FLACs through Neutron but I only use in ears at the moment, a pair of HiFiMan RE-600s, before that the Grado GR-8s.

If your after over ears, there are a whole heap of options. Really need to decide on a budget and find a good audio store, also what "sounds good" is up to the user. For example the Shure SRH1540s and the Philips Fidelio X-1s are real nice, but not really an option for out and about, more for home listening. For portable use, although you didn't like the Beats on-ear, recommend you try the Beyerdynamic T-51s very comfortable and quite stunning. For portable over ears you could try B&W P5's or P7s or the PSB M4U2, which is battery powered but its used for a bit in amp, which makes them fun to listen to.

In reality though, to get the most out of that new walkman, your looking at some similarly priced 'phones to get the best out of it. I'm sure it'll be fun trying them all out though! Enjoy!
    01-26-15 04:05 PM
    FLAC works just fine on the Passport. I use my Shure SRH-840 headphones.

I'm in heaven when the two are paired up!

Posted via CB10
    01-26-15 04:58 PM
    The benefit of flac is that you know what ever you play them on it will sound as good as it can be. If you converted your CD collection to aac with itunes when the default was 128kbps you'll realize why you want flac for futureproofing. Downside obviously the amount of storage but with 64gb sd cards and larger on the way that's no longer an issue so long as you don't go buying one of those half baked phones with no sd card slots.
    Regarding sony Walkmans like the ZX1 these are serious kit not like the Walkmans of old and are superior in audio quality to any phone including apple although lightning connector headphones are becoming available that will keep apple up there.
    Problem with spending $300 on headphones for a passport or any phone using the 3.5mm jack is that the phone output is a hybrid line out/phone socket and the amp/dac in a phone is not audiophile quality. A decent head phone amp will help a lot but that's another device to cary and another $200+ and dedicated music player cost no more than portable head phone amps of similar quality.
    Understand why people would snub bluetooth but a pair of philips fidelio M2 can be used wired or blue tooth so are adaptable to get the most out of what ever you use them with. Think you'd find they would sound better than more expensive in ear grado gt8 when used just with a phone, grados gt8 which are much more picky about audio source.
    If you do find a retailer where you can try before you buy then try phones directly connected to phone and also through a decent dac/head phone amp, see the difference which is surprising even with some $30 headphones. All I can say I been surprised.

Posted via CB10
    01-27-15 03:48 AM
    I personally tend to prefer KLipsch x7i's but they are in-ear type of IEM''s.

Their patented oval shaped silicone ear plugs are super comfortable!

Posted via CB10
    01-27-15 12:45 PM
    I love my Sony MDR10RBT. It also supports aptx bluetooth and I feel they are way better than my AKG studio

Posted via CB10
    gg bb likes this.
    01-27-15 01:33 PM
    I'll just say stay away from Bluetooth, as even aptX only goes up to ~350kbps, which is still high quality, but not FLAC level high quality.
    01-27-15 01:37 PM
    Just got my Blackberry Passport yesterday. A StilGut (with cover tab) case, which arrived a day earlier, fits perfectly and is a really sweet looking case.

Amongst other things, got the Passport for the audio.

Confirmed that in native mode, it will play the following hi-res audio files:

- 16 bit FLAC, up to 192KHz
    - 24 bit FLAC, up to 192KHz
    - 32 bit FLAC, up to 96KHz (do not have 32bit audio with a higher sample rate)

- 16 bit WAV files up to 192KHZ
    - 24 bit WAV files up to 192KHZ
    - 32 bit WAv files, up to 96KHz (do not have 32bit audio with a higher sample rate)

- The Passport will not natively recognize any APE files. - Maybe a different player will. Haven't been to the BB Play store yet.

Have not yet compared the stock earbuds to my Shure 425's. I misplaced the stock buds. Hopefully my dog has not found them.

The Passport initially had trouble recognizing any old music files on an NTFS formatted 64 GB Sony TF card. Likewise for the same card formatted as an Ex-fat card. However, as an Ex-fat card, the card was now able to be successfully formatted by the phone - at which point it could accept and recognize my FLAC and WAV music files.

Word of caution, do not try to transfer files via the USB port to the Passport. Take the TF card out and use a USB TF card holder and a USB 3 port on your computer. Your data will transfer 10 times faster than a direct USB connection to the phone.

One other note, I took my old full size SIM card out from my old Samsung and used a pair of scissors to trim the SIM card down to a Micro SIM card size. After a cold reboot, the trimmed card works perfectly. Made a test call and telephone service was good to go.
    04-03-15 02:10 AM
    Hey how to get FLAC music?
    04-19-15 10:14 PM
    I use WAV format, sounds good too. My ear piece is BEO Play H3, sometimes I will use a pair of Sony playing rocks for the extra bass.

Posted via CB10
    04-19-15 10:35 PM