Back in July, my BlackBerry Passport was having notorious camera problems. 😵 It would not focus, it would distort, wobble without me physically wobbling it, and so forth. In August, I decided to buy a replacement camera and fixed it -- success! It worked and would focus like normal again! 😎 Until one month later, it started failing to focus. 😣 Not only that, the camera application sometimes refuses to start. Sometimes restarting the device gets it to open, but no focusing. I was not sure what to do, so I decided to continue using the BlackBerry Passport without a functional camera.

Coming December, I decided to come back to issue, but need to ask you guys some questions:

1. Has anybody ever had their camera replacement fail so soon? If so, did you fix it again? Or did you just give up on the BlackBerry Passport altogether?

2. Do BlackBerry Classics have such notorious camera problems like the BlackBerry Passport?

I must have a physical QWERTY phone as my daily driver with the SIM card in it. Therefore, do not make suggestions about using something else. Yes, it's true that I have other non-QWERTY smartphones, but their lack of physical keys is the reason why I do not use them for texts and calls.
    12-07-19 08:46 PM
    2. Do BlackBerry Classics have such notorious camera problems like the BlackBerry Passport?
    No (or not that I'm aware of) and the camera on the Classic is pretty good.

Posted via CB10
    12-07-19 08:50 PM
    My advice would be to get another Passport. The Classic is pretty slow compared to the Passport and the Camera is worse.

You'll just be frustrated with the Classic.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    12-07-19 09:26 PM
    I advise you go for a KEY2 / KEY2 LE / KEYone Black Edition
    zer0ten likes this.
    12-07-19 10:11 PM
    Interesting! Who makes those?

Posted via my Passport
    the_boon likes this.
    12-08-19 12:10 AM
    Well....the cameras on the BlackBerry android are a joke....
    12-08-19 03:05 AM
    Well....the cameras on the BlackBerry android are a joke....
    Other than Passport and PRIV, what other BlackBerry was ever a premium camera?
    12-08-19 05:03 AM
    That's why I would not advice this guy to buy a BlackBerry with Android....
    12-08-19 05:32 AM
    That's why I would not advice this guy to buy a BlackBerry with Android....
    No BlackBerry anything if camera is primary concern
    the_boon and John Albert like this.
    12-08-19 05:38 AM
    The passport was soooo slow at taking photos though that even though the specs were good for the camera - the photos never turned out well.
    12-08-19 07:16 AM
    The KEYone probably had the best camera on a BlackBerry branded device.
    12-08-19 07:33 AM
    The KEYone probably had the best camera on a BlackBerry branded device.
    At time, I think Passport and PRIV were ATTEMPTING some kind of flagship specs. That still didn’t make them or the KEYone the best or even premium though... I own them all and never once did I feel BlackBerry was anything special regarding camera or pictures.

BlackBerry in the consumer market has always been a compromise of sorts. It was born from email and later phone call abilities with texting added eventually. The hardware was just meant to do that well and created since no OEM existed already to just install software.

Everything we think of regarding smartphones and consumer demands wasn’t ever BlackBerry and BlackBerry has never done any of those later things best. Nothing, Zero.
    Radoslav Valkov likes this.
    12-08-19 07:49 AM
    Dear oh dear... Um... So the verdict is that going from a BlackBerry Passport to Classic would be too much of a downgrade. As for the Key series, I'm not interested in them, so I may have to look into getting a F(x)tec Pro1. The lack of replacement parts is a bit of a concern though... At least BlackBerries have a plethora of spare parts available all over the Internet.
    12-08-19 02:00 PM
    The passport was soooo slow at taking photos though that even though the specs were good for the camera - the photos never turned out well.
    Totally disagree with this! Although slow to focus sometimes, the Passport can take excellent pics. We have a thread dedicated to Passport photos here on CB to prove it.
    12-08-19 03:15 PM
    Dear oh dear... Um... So the verdict is that going from a BlackBerry Passport to Classic would be too much of a downgrade. As for the Key series, I'm not interested in them, so I may have to look into getting a F(x)tec Pro1. The lack of replacement parts is a bit of a concern though... At least BlackBerries have a plethora of spare parts available all over the Internet.
    Hence the dilemma and reason I’m using an XR dual eSIM for now. I considered the LG V40 last year and would consider the LG V50 this year but AT&T doesn’t have yet and may choose to never carry.

I prefer OS proprietary sold models for optimization and carrier sold for better support. Apple or Google is all that’s left in that regard. I’ve done Motorola and HTC which have become Google hardware at some point. Once Google sold Motorola to Lenovo, I really lost interest. When Google purchased HTC for all intents and purposes, I became interested again. I’ve done the Motorola, HTC and Samsung third-party OEM before, however I’m BlackBerry proprietary OS from the old days spoiled and gauge my Android preference against that pricing value. This is first year that Google available with AT&T carrier branded.

For that reason, I’ve supported LG Android since if going third-party OEM, with AT&T, the BOGO deals are better than other Android flagships. That’s how I ended up with the XR dual eSIM but miss aspects of Android plus BBAndroid and on lesser note BB10 now. Hopefully at some point Android gets to the iOS value proposition regarding length of updates and proprietary consistency.
    12-08-19 03:19 PM
    Back in July, my BlackBerry Passport was having notorious camera problems. ������ It would not focus, it would distort, wobble without me physically wobbling it, and so forth. In August, I decided to buy a replacement camera and fixed it -- success! It worked and would focus like normal again! ������ Until one month later, it started failing to focus. ������ Not only that, the camera application sometimes refuses to start. Sometimes restarting the device gets it to open, but no focusing. I was not sure what to do, so I decided to continue using the BlackBerry Passport without a functional camera.

Coming December, I decided to come back to issue, but need to ask you guys some questions:

1. Has anybody ever had their camera replacement fail so soon? If so, did you fix it again? Or did you just give up on the BlackBerry Passport altogether?

I must have a physical QWERTY phone as my daily driver with the SIM card in it. Therefore, do not make suggestions about using something else. Yes, it's true that I have other non-QWERTY smartphones, but their lack of physical keys is the reason why I do not use them for texts and calls.
    What OS are you running in your Passport?
    12-08-19 03:22 PM
    Back in July, my BlackBerry Passport was having notorious camera problems. ������ It would not focus, it would distort, wobble without me physically wobbling it, and so forth. In August, I decided to buy a replacement camera and fixed it -- success! It worked and would focus like normal again! ������ Until one month later, it started failing to focus. ������ Not only that, the camera application sometimes refuses to start. Sometimes restarting the device gets it to open, but no focusing. I was not sure what to do, so I decided to continue using the BlackBerry Passport without a functional camera.

What OS are you running in your Passport? Do you have photos saved to an sd card and if so is it a good quality card? If you have a card try changing default save to internal memory to see if there is a difference for the camera.
    12-08-19 03:22 PM
    What OS are you running in your Passport? Do you have photos saved to an sd card and if so is it a good quality card? If you have a card try changing default save to internal memory to see if there is a difference for the camera.
    Totally agree! My Passport takes good daytime shots, video and is acceptably fast opening,focusing and shooting. Night shots are like all other BlackBerry's, disappointing at best. To say that the camera and software are not good, is just plainly incorrect unless you have an issue with your device!

Posted via my Passport
    elfabio80 likes this.
    12-08-19 05:59 PM
    Hence the dilemma and reason I’m using an XR dual eSIM for now. I considered the LG V40 last year and would consider the LG V50 this year but AT&T doesn’t have yet and may choose to never carry.

I prefer OS proprietary sold models for optimization and carrier sold for better support. Apple or Google is all that’s left in that regard. I’ve done Motorola and HTC which have become Google hardware at some point. Once Google sold Motorola to Lenovo, I really lost interest. When Google purchased HTC for all intents and purposes, I became interested again. I’ve done the Motorola, HTC and Samsung third-party OEM before, however I’m BlackBerry proprietary OS from the old days spoiled and gauge my Android preference against that pricing value. This is first year that Google available with AT&T carrier branded.

For that reason, I’ve supported LG Android since if going third-party OEM, with AT&T, the BOGO deals are better than other Android flagships. That’s how I ended up with the XR dual eSIM but miss aspects of Android plus BBAndroid and on lesser note BB10 now. Hopefully at some point Android gets to the iOS value proposition regarding length of updates and proprietary consistency.
    I personally do not care for carrier devices, as I buy unlocked, but I can see why some people prefer them. You certainly will not have a hard time getting spare parts for the iPhone XR, or any common Android handset.

Software release: 10.3.3.2137
    OS Version: 10.3.3.3216
    The photos are saved to a genuine SanDisk microSD card. No difference was noticed with internal or external storage. This problem is hardware related.
    12-08-19 07:08 PM
    This problem is hardware related.
    I guess it is. You've been unlucky with that replacement camera as well. Mine is still taking excellent shots even after 5 years of use.
    12-08-19 10:24 PM
    No problems with camera, on both my Passports (OG & SE) so far. I understand there are many devices with superior cameras around, but since the pictures I get are fine for me, I am happy. And at the end of the day, if I really needed a good camera, I would actually look for a real one.
    12-09-19 12:06 PM
    ^^^This^^^

Posted via my Passport
    12-09-19 02:17 PM

You could get a rear camera for next to nothing and pop it in. Very easy.
    12-09-19 05:18 PM
    Back in July, my BlackBerry Passport was having notorious camera problems. 😵 It would not focus, it would distort, wobble without me physically wobbling it, and so forth. In August, I decided to buy a replacement camera and fixed it -- success! It worked and would focus like normal again! 😎 Until one month later, it started failing to focus. 😣 Not only that, the camera application sometimes refuses to start. Sometimes restarting the device gets it to open, but no focusing. I was not sure what to do, so I decided to continue using the BlackBerry Passport without a functional camera.

You could get a rear camera for next to nothing and pop it in. Very easy.
    12-09-19 05:18 PM
    FWIW...my passport camera went all wonky a little while ago...blurred...couldn't decide where to focus, but the fix was eventually simple. The lens exterior has soaked up some oil from the kitchen table's leftover home spun salad dressing. A good lens cleaner made that problem disappear, and the lens was as good as.....well the day before I got oil on it. I didnt even see the oil coating but remember picking up the phone and finding an oil puddle a short time later. Once cleaned it was good to go.
    (PS and though this is probably not the usual case....I recently snapped a backup shot with the passport, as I had someone else take a photo with their flagship Sammysong ;-) ....and awesomely the Passport took the better picture (it shouldn't have, because it didn't have the better specs, it was a two year or so older phone, and it was an outdoor picture at night with street lighting....i was amazed, surprised...but not too too surprised)
    12-09-19 06:19 PM
35 12