Sharp Aquos Crystal and Crystal X go live in Japan - GSMArena.com news

Has no top or side bezels, all screen... Feels like a jump into the future - in 5 years probably all phones will be like this.

Last edited by markusbeutel; 10-20-14 at 12:56 AM.
    10-18-14 06:49 PM
    I wouldn't feel comfortable taking that phone out of my pocket. One drop and the screen would be finished,also good luck finding a decent case that provides adequate protection without obstructing part of your screen.

Posted via CB10
    Aahleksh likes this.
    10-18-14 06:52 PM
    the bezels are needed for the gestures....
    Edward in Toronto likes this.
    10-18-14 06:53 PM
    Looking at the specs, it's already dated.... only a 2000mah battery? Prefer my long lasting Passport if you ask me

Posted via CB10
    Andrei Balashov and Aahleksh like this.
    10-18-14 06:54 PM
    More of the same IMO.

Posted via CB10
    tavisdunn likes this.
    10-18-14 06:55 PM

Has no top or side bezels, all screen... Feels like a jump into the future - in 5 years probably all phones will be like this.
    This is a perfect example of what the new all touch Passport should be like. The current Passport has that small bezel on the bottom and that should stay the same. The screen real estate should be exactly like that phone and BlackBerry will have made the most desirable phone ever made. It will be perfect.

*VI* Posted Via CB10 on my Z10*VI*
    Last edited by mrlahjr; 10-18-14 at 07:14 PM.
    10-18-14 06:58 PM
    Looking at the specs, it's already dated.... only a 2000mah battery? Prefer my long lasting Passport if you ask me

Posted via CB10
    That's the lower version model, the higher end 5.5 display has a 2610 mAh battery - although I'd assume a phone with mostly screen would eat through it faster. I use my PP mostly for browsing, so a screen like this would be amazing - tough to make any sort of decision on it now though considering we don't even know if the 5.5 inch version will be released outside of Japan..

Would love a Passport with some of this bezel tech though, like the current PP without any side bezels, and maybe half of what the top bezel currently is - would assuage many of the detractors that think it's too big - imagine this is what BB is working on for the Passport 2.
    10-18-14 07:00 PM
    First; I have to disagree, that thing is hideous.

Second; where the heck do you put your ear on that thing? Flip it to have screen outward? Put the bezel edge to your ear and hold the device with your fingertips?

Posted via CB10
    Aahleksh likes this.
    10-18-14 07:01 PM

It runs Android. I think I'll pass. ;-)

Posted via CB10
    10-18-14 07:03 PM
    First; I have to disagree, that thing is hideous.

Second; where the heck do you put your ear on that thing? Flip it to have screen outward? Put the bezel edge to your ear and hold the device with your fingertips?

Posted via CB10
    To answer your second question from what I've read about this device it uses bone conduction technology like Google Glass does.

Posted via CB10
    djsvet likes this.
    10-18-14 07:06 PM
    It runs Android. I think I'll pass. ;-)

Posted via CB10
    We aren't discussing what OS it runs, just the hardware; but thank you for the invaluable contribution to the thread (read: when are people going to stop posting these silly close-minded remarks).

Posted via CB10
    anon(2729369) likes this.
    10-18-14 07:08 PM
    To be honest, I don't feel that's the future at all. But that's just my personal opinion.

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Passport
    Aahleksh and kthhrrsn like this.
    10-18-14 07:14 PM

Looks cool, but the Passport has better specs. Besides, this phone still requires a trade off between screen size and physical keyboard, whereas, the Passport has both.
    Aahleksh likes this.
    10-18-14 07:15 PM
    The Sharp Aquos Crystal opts for a 5" 720p panel, Snapdragon 400 with a quad-core 1.2GHz processor, 1.5GB of RAM, 8 gigs of storage and a 2,040mAh battery
    BlackBerry would be roasted by everyone if the offered a phone with those specs in 2015.
    10-18-14 07:18 PM
    To be honest, I don't feel that's the future at all. But that's just my personal opinion.

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Passport
    I just meant skinnier bezels - which is what all smartphones are attempting (except for Apple :P). Eventually bezels will be a thing of the past - not sure why people think we need them to hold the phone properly either - when I hold my PP I grip the sides, my fingers aren't all over the bezels or anything - although to help make phones without bezels easier to hold, wouldn't be surprised if the chassis/edges on future phones are tweaked to be grippier, or to stick out a bit or something.
    10-18-14 07:19 PM
    So all the sensors and front camera are at the bottom? Makes it look out of proportion to me.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-14 07:19 PM
    Want my passport 800% more but thanks for the info

Blackberry Passport on the TELUS network
    10-18-14 07:20 PM
    BlackBerry would be roasted by everyone if the offered a phone with those specs in 2015.
    Read the full article next time, the 5.5' has better specs - still not as good as the PP, but I'd be willing to bet that people would sacrifice a trade off between screen quality/size and specs - just look at iPhones.
    10-18-14 07:21 PM
    wait long enough and something will come along to temp you..... just a matter of deciding what is best and stick to it.... otherwise you will drive yourself crazy....
    10-18-14 07:44 PM
    I don't think anyone can predict what the future will bring in terms of smart phone design - for all we know, Blackberry may the pioneers here by implementing what basically amounts to a laptop type of trackpad (vs the small trackpad from legacy phones) and a wide 1:1 screen format - maybe we'll see copy-cats.

One thing that I know, is that I think the smart phone trends are becoming more and more ridiculous with larger screens, thinner bodies (which makes no difference, the iPhone 6 Plus is still a huge device and cumbersome to carry despite being the "thinnest" phone). The only ones that have actually turned size into an advantage is...Blackberry. The other devices are getting larger and larger but even something like the Nexus 6 will still be sub-par for reading and editing documents/spreadsheets by virtue of it's ratio...yet it's still cumbersome to carry around.

Things don't always turn out the way you'd expect them to - phones were getting smaller and smaller and then suddenly they're getting bigger and bigger.

At some point - the generation that's basically drove the iPhone and Samsung rise will grow up and find that maybe having a more portable device, better typing experience, phone calls, etc are more valuable than having a bigger screen?

Who knows - the Moto G which was a tiny little phone was one of the most popular devices last year in Canada.
    idssteve likes this.
    10-18-14 08:04 PM
    More of the same IMO.

Posted via CB10
    Ditto
    10-18-14 08:04 PM
    Only looks, specs not so

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk
    10-18-14 08:12 PM
    You are comparing apples to oranges!
    10-18-14 08:19 PM
    meh