from a design perspective the Aquos is beautiful, the one being offered in the US is certainly under spec'd but its for Sprint so whatever... it's great to see hardware innovation, we don't need no stinkin bezels, we should all applaud any innovations that help larger screens create a smaller form factor. If they've gone too far and there actually is a need for bezels (i doubt it) well then it will be the end of that level of minimal design.

If you are a slab of glass fan and don't want a keyboard the real issue should be "Can the Z50 come with a similarly elegant screen to chassis ratio?" Maybe they could squeeze a 5.5" screen in a form factor the size of the Z30. It certainly would get more, and probably better, attention than the Passport form factor does. Attention and innovation is exactly what BBRY needs to build itself back from the ashes.
    10-19-14 08:59 AM
    Read the full article next time, the 5.5' has better specs - still not as good as the PP, but I'd be willing to bet that people would sacrifice a trade off between screen quality/size and specs - just look at iPhones.
    The comment is still true. The 5.5" has better specs, but they're still not great. You know how phone reviewers are, and the Passport would be DOA if it came with the specs of the 5.5" version.

This looks nice, but is the same old candybar design that every other phone has. Passport is unique.

Posted via CB10 using my Passport
    10-19-14 09:19 AM
    Sharp Aquos Crystal and Crystal X go live in Japan - GSMArena.com news

Has no top or side bezels, all screen... Feels like a jump into the future - in 5 years probably all phones will be like this.
    The target market for this phone is completely different from that of Passport. If you bought a Passport with more consumer-centric activities in mind, yes, I believe you bought the wrong phone.

Then again, once you're committed, your eyes start to wander, lol. The pasture always looks greener on the other side.
    10-19-14 09:52 AM
    Sharp Aquos Crystal and Crystal X go live in Japan - GSMArena.com news

Has no top or side bezels, all screen... Feels like a jump into the future - in 5 years probably all phones will be like this.
    OP, I honestly don't know what you think looks so special about this phone. It looks like all the other rectangular phones out there. Good luck with your rethinking

Btw, don't forget that there are people who would be very glad to take your Passport.
    10-19-14 10:21 AM
    It's not practical. Pretty. Not practical. I personally think that the Z10 and Z30 are both beautiful and practical. I don't want "pretty" with big glitches or faults -the bevels are needed for gestures using BB OS. You need some protection in 'case' it falls so you don't have a cracked screen.

Owned an HTC One (even more pretty than the Aquos Crystal X - well maybe not as pretty of a name). Sucked. Sold. Bought Z10.
    10-19-14 07:10 PM
    The comment is still true. The 5.5" has better specs, but they're still not great. You know how phone reviewers are, and the Passport would be DOA if it came with the specs of the 5.5" version.

This looks nice, but is the same old candybar design that every other phone has. Passport is unique.

Posted via CB10 using my Passport
    The Aquos is just as unique... there's no other phone with bezels like that, just like there's no other square phones besides the antiquated LG VU. Also, while reviewers would probably mention lower specs on a BB, I've always thought that wasn't really a fair route to take, as BB makes the software and hardware and can tweak its performance accordingly - like how iPhones have garbage specs but run on par with Android.
    10-19-14 07:17 PM
    I see nothing extraordinary about this phone. At first glance, it looks as ordinary as any other Android device.

Posted via PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1052 on CB10!
    10-19-14 08:48 PM
    i think mike and jim are trolling this thread. Nothing to look at here... keep moving on... it amazes me how blind BBRY users can be, how do you guys think we got to less than 1% of US market share. I will be a user to the end but i would like the end to be a long time from now so i try to stay open minded to trends that could drive BBRY market share. If BBRY released a form factor like this we would all be calling it the second coming! I would like to see them rip this off and toss a keyboard on the bottom, i"ll buy it.
    10-19-14 10:38 PM
    i think mike and jim are trolling this thread. Nothing to look at here... keep moving on... it amazes me how blind BBRY users can be, how do you guys think we got to less than 1% of US market share. I will be a user to the end but i would like the end to be a long time from now so i try to stay open minded to trends that could drive BBRY market share. If BBRY released a form factor like this we would all be calling it the second coming! I would like to see them rip this off and toss a keyboard on the bottom, i"ll buy it.
    So, because you are fond of it, those of us who don't think it's very special are blind, close-minded trolls? Okay.

Posted via PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418 on CB10!
    10-19-14 11:31 PM
    Then again, once you're committed, your eyes start to wander, lol. The pasture always looks greener on the other side.
    Well, for me tha pasture always looks blacker on the dark side..

Posted via CB10
    10-19-14 11:52 PM
    The first time I saw a picture of that thing I thought it was just something that was made just because they could. Having no top bezel of any kind is impractical. They make up for it with a comparatively too large bottom bezel. It just looks hideous to me. I hadn't even thought of the placement of the front-facing camera as someone else mentioned, but that also calls into question the speaker and the light sensor for when the phone is to your ear. It was made to be different and those differences make it impractical in my opinion. If they had just a little bezel at the top I think it'd look much better IMO.
    10-19-14 11:55 PM
    Heinous.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-14 12:36 AM
    Think a lot of people might be taking my thread title as an offense of sorts - suppose it would be better if I added that I have no intention of trading in my PP or anything, I love the device - but if I hadn't purchased it and this was out on the market I would've had a tougher decision to make, seeing as it also only costs $150 off contract...

If anything, don't see why people can't appreciate the innovations this phone offers, and how BB might be able to utilize some of them in future designs...

Here's a good mini-review of the phone that'll do more justice than the picks.

10-20-14 12:55 AM
    Sharp...LG...Samsung..reminds me of TV and refrigerator
    bored and tired of slabs, and trust me after having physical keyboard, it's hard to go back at full screen. if you do a lot of work, that is. if you live a languid live of gaming and reading, yes full screen slab might work, be it from any appliance maker or an apple.
    10-20-14 03:47 AM
    lol "turn the phone upside down to use the selfie cam and not get an awkward angle"

Looks pretty, but don't think I could use a phone like this.
    10-20-14 08:54 AM
    looks sexy indeed.
    But, wait ... I'm looking for efficiency, not sexyness when dealing with smartphones.
    I'll keep my passport and shop agent provocateur for my wife's sexyness [no phallocracy here]
    10-20-14 09:26 AM
    Sharp make good lcd displays.
    So they made this

Posted via CB10
    10-20-14 12:15 PM
    Lol just wait for BlackBerry to make a bezelless device....crackberry members will love it then.

While i do think its very cool, and give props to Sharp going further than others, It wouldnt tempt me from a PassPort if I had one. I do think this is where smartphones are headed though
    Last edited by Rello; 10-20-14 at 02:18 PM.
    10-20-14 01:30 PM
    lovely phone for those who like that kind of form factor
    10-20-14 01:31 PM
    Lol just wait for BlackBerry to make a bezelless device....crackberry members will love it then.

While i do think its very cool, and give props to Sharp going further than others, It wouldnt tempt me from a PassPort if I had one. I do think this is where smartphones are headed though
    Depends on how you make it. Idea of bezelless isn't bad. But they aren't magicians. It's just like the passport. If you have to make a tradeoff (1:1 ratio) it better have a very important purpose

Posted from zee flicking coolest smartphone evah!
    10-21-14 07:51 AM
    It's an interesting device, and certain out of the norm in the sea of rectangular slates out there. However I think the unique design is wasted on such a low end device - most reviews out there put the battery life of the device and imagining quality to be pretty low, even worse than other lower end android phones out there. I'd go for battery life and infinitely better build quality of a Passport any day of the week, though I'd be pretty tempted if I had to choose between the Aquos and a Q5.
    10-21-14 09:03 AM
71 123