Since BlackBerry is now using the amazon store, do you think moderate success of the fire phone would be good for the BlackBerry platform?
    My thought is that getting more android apps in the Amazon store can only benefit BlackBerry.
    Of course they have a lot of apps already but you will notice that most are apps that benefit the fire tablet.
    So many apps that people would be less likely to use on a tablet are not in the store.

Also, any one notice that the Fire Phone uses the same chip set as the Passport?

Posted via CB10
    10-21-14 10:05 PM
    Since BlackBerry is now using the amazon store, do you think moderate success of the fire phone would be good for the BlackBerry platform?
    My thought is that getting more android apps in the Amazon store can only benefit BlackBerry.
    Of course they have a lot of apps already but you will notice that most are apps that benefit the fire tablet.
    So many apps that people would be less likely to use on a tablet are not in the store.

Also, any one notice that the Fire Phone uses the same chip set as the Passport?

Posted via CB10
    More access to Android apps will mean fewer people will develop made for BlackBerry. Not a good thing.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    Traxxmy, mossa210 and Supa_Fly1 like this.
    10-21-14 10:10 PM
    not really, the fire phone isnt really a success. It hasnt sold much at all despite the push from Amazon
    10-21-14 10:11 PM
    More access to Android apps will mean fewer people will develop made for BlackBerry. Not a good thing.

The point is they aren't even thinking about developing for BlackBerry anyway. We are where we are. Accept it.

Posted via CB10
    10-21-14 10:26 PM
    It would be, but since it appears to be a huge failure, it probably hurts the amazon app store situation.

Posted via CB10
    10-21-14 10:46 PM
    It would be, but since it appears to be a huge failure, it probably hurts the amazon app store situation.

Posted via CB10
    I agree, but luckily for Amazon, they are actually doing pretty well with the Kindle.
    10-22-14 08:41 AM
    The failure of the Fire Phone may actually be good for BlackBerry. If the Amazon app store is successful on the BlackBerry phones, perhaps Amazon will give up designing and manufacturing their own phones and partner with BlackBerry to distribute BlackBerry phones.
    eldrover likes this.
    10-22-14 08:51 AM

But it will mean people might buy more BlackBerry phones. That is a good thing. And, if enough people buy BlackBerry phones, Devs might start considering BB native apps, especially if they can charge a little more for them.
    Dave Bourque likes this.
    10-22-14 08:56 AM

Posted via CB10
    Not really, since it targets a different audience altogether.

Posted via my snappy Z10
    10-22-14 09:03 AM
    The failure of the Fire Phone may actually be good for BlackBerry. If the Amazon app store is successful on the BlackBerry phones, perhaps Amazon will give up designing and manufacturing their own phones and partner with BlackBerry to distribute BlackBerry phones.
    This has been my hope all along. Also, it would be great if we could get amazon to push the devices and develop their software for BB10.

Posted via CB10
    eldrover likes this.
    10-22-14 10:08 AM
    But it will mean people might buy more BlackBerry phones. That is a good thing. And, if enough people buy BlackBerry phones, Devs might start considering BB native apps, especially if they can charge a little more for them.
    Yes, yes and yes.

This arguments has been debunked a million times. The more useful a platform is, the more people will buy these phones. The more people using BlackBerry 10, the more there will be native apps.

Again, when Apple switched to Intel and allowed users to run windows, it got more people to buy Macs, know they could still run that one or maybe two programs they really needed. In time, more and more programs were native to OS X.

I see no reason to think it would be different here.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-14 10:12 AM

You're living in a fantasy world, no one is interested in developing for BlackBerry already.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-14 10:25 AM
    I see all the fire phone posters covering nearly 70% of the AT&T stores, and can't help but wonder how much Amazon blew on that device. If they could spare 25% of that marketing budget for Amazon-pre-loaded BlackBerry devices,.. or maybe just enough to make space for one poster on the wall?

Posted via CB10
    10-22-14 10:30 AM
    Considering that the fore phone only sold around 35-40k since pre-orders opened and the passport has more than likely passed 300k purchased yeah it probably is good for BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-14 12:48 PM
    Yes, I'd say the fire phone has been a flop.
    However the success of the Amazon App store can only be good for BlackBerry 10.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-14 01:58 PM
    You're living in a fantasy world, no one is interested in developing for BlackBerry already.

Posted via CB10
    You are misinformed. I know developers who are building apps for Blackberry. I'm one of them.
    alternator77 likes this.
    10-22-14 02:06 PM
    I think what the OP is saying is that we should root for the success of the fire phone so that our app universe gets expanded.

Posted via Passport~!
    10-22-14 02:11 PM
    I don't see it panning out that way. Not in a way that benefits BBRY more than other mobile companies.
    10-22-14 02:12 PM
    I think what the OP is saying is that we should root for the success of the fire phone so that our app universe gets expanded.

Posted via Passport~!
    that won't happen. The fire phone is dead. No one wants it.
    10-22-14 02:21 PM

Because so many major devs are putting out "made for blackberry" apps now?

What we need is for more devs who code for Android to see the success of hardware like the Passport and Classic and make their apps run in a square format too. That's about it.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-14 02:33 PM
    Because so many major devs are putting out "made for blackberry" apps now?

What we need is for more devs who code for Android to see the success of hardware like the Passport and Classic and make their apps run in a square format too. That's about it.

Posted via CB10
    Especially since BlackBerry is telling Amazon to block apps that "don't work perfectly" (even if they do) with the Passport.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-14 03:37 PM

Posted via CB10
    Not many now, BUT...

Posted via my kick @ss Q10
    10-23-14 02:00 PM
    Amazon took a $170M hit on Fire phone and related costs last quarter. Yikers. Guessing Fire 2 is not in the cards.
    10-23-14 05:16 PM
    You are misinformed. I know developers who are building apps for Blackberry. I'm one of them.
    And I thank you for developing for us.

Posted via CB10
    Bluenoser63 likes this.
    10-23-14 05:30 PM
    10-24-14 09:14 PM
29 12