Glad you liked it. Priorities first, get them books
    03-19-15 04:56 AM
    Kudos OP for being you and liking what you like. Sometimes it feels good to be different.

The Passport is indeed a very good/solid phone. I'm loving mine more each day.
    03-19-15 08:02 AM
    After a while of use the keyboard does soften up.

I try not to put my passport in my pants pocket because I'm sure the keys get pressed unintentionally and may, over time get damaged. It either goes in the body glove holster or jacket pocket.

It becomes unwieldy at times when I try to use one hand so I just gave up. Haha!

Posted via CB10
    03-19-15 10:41 AM
    Yes, typing on this beast did take some getting used to but after a short while, it felt much better. I now prefer it to using swype which also makes for quick typing. The battery life is better than any other phone I've owned (except original, non-touchscreen BB and of course flip phones). I'd also say that this Berry is made better and feels better than all those other phones and I've had some good ones. I think I'd really like to stick with Blackberry going forward. I just hope they keep up with my need for new devices on a regular basis.
    03-19-15 02:59 PM
    Thanks for the insight.
    03-19-15 03:13 PM
    03-19-15 04:11 PM
    You an 18 year old college girl? You got IG?

Posted via CB10
    Finally Played With an AT&T Passport-jeff-start-van.jpg
    habs_fan, tdyhedge, moody and 5 others like this.
    03-19-15 07:25 PM
    Finally Played With an AT&T Passport-img_20150319_194454.png

Finally Played With an AT&T Passport-russell-westbrook.jpg

Posted via CB10
    03-19-15 09:46 PM
    I still love the device, and I've had mine since early October.

It's like no other device I've ever seen. It works like no other device I've ever used. I was initially impressed with the device build, and it hasn't deteriorated in any way since (and mine sees heavy use). The keyboard did, indeed, "break in", but mine shows no outward signs of any wear at all.

The width takes getting used to, no question. Keyboard purists may never get used to the hybrid half-physical/half-virtual keyboard, but I honestly think it's brilliant. Whatever anyone may say about BlackBerry, nobody can touch them when it comes to a great user experience for text entry. I remain very pleased with the Passport, and I still kind of marvel that BlackBerry actually released such an unconventional device.
    Kind of like the BB Pearl Flip. A lot of people didn't like it but I personally loved it. Unconventional but perty.
    03-20-15 02:18 PM
    You might want to get the passport through Next if you don't mind paying the monthly fee for it. . .
    Any of those "NEXT" programs are a rip off. Do your homework. The cost of your phone is built into the cost of your contract. So if you get it on that "NEXT" program, you're basically paying for it twice. No phone was ever truly "free", you paid for it in your contract, that's why they make you sign a contract.
    03-20-15 02:40 PM
    Any of those "NEXT" programs are a rip off. Do your homework. The cost of your phone is built into the cost of your contract. So if you get it on that "NEXT" program, you're basically paying for it twice. No phone was ever truly "free", you paid for it in your contract, that's why they make you sign a contract.
    I think you're missing the point of the Next plan. Of course they do not make sense on the old plans, as the old plans were designed to hide the cost of phone subsidies. Now I'm not saying it always makes sense. For example someone on a 450 minute individual plan with unlimited sms, mobile to any mobile and data using over 3GB a month should certainly stay on that plan and do a two year contract.

But now let's break down a larger family plan. 5 lines with 1400 shared minutes, unlimited texting and data would be a base cost of $300 a month. So that comes to an average cost of $60 per line. So doing the math it'd be $60/m * 24month contract=$1440 for 2 years of service. Add that to the $40 activation fee and the $199 you pay for the passport with the contract to get a total cost of ownership of $1679.

With a 10GB Mobile Share plan it's a base cost of $175 for the same five lines so that's an cost of $35/line. $35*24mo=$840+650 for the passport=a total cost of ownership of $1490. Even moving up to the 30GB would be $41/m*24mo+650=$1634. Keep in mind this includes mobile hotspot, no throttling of speeds and unlimited talk.

So as you mentioned do your homework. The newer plans are designed specifically to make up for the cost of full retail by not jacking up the service. Does that mean that everyone should immediately switch to mobile share and Next? No! Absolutely not! But for many people it is a decent deal. It's something that needs to be evaluated on a case by case basis, unfortunately many people suck at their jobs.

Posted via CB10
    Pdinos3, mainely_linux and snmot3 like this.
    03-20-15 08:27 PM
    I think you're missing the point of the Next plan. Of course they do not make sense on the old plans, as the old plans were designed to hide the cost of phone subsidies. Now I'm not saying it always makes sense. For example someone on a 450 minute individual plan with unlimited sms, mobile to any mobile and data using over 3GB a month should certainly stay on that plan and do a two year contract.

But now let's break down a larger family plan. 5 lines with 1400 shared minutes, unlimited texting and data would be a base cost of $300 a month. So that comes to an average cost of $60 per line. So doing the math it'd be $60/m * 24month contract=$1440 for 2 years of service. Add that to the $40 activation fee and the $199 you pay for the passport with the contract to get a total cost of ownership of $1679.

With a 10GB Mobile Share plan it's a base cost of $175 for the same five lines so that's an cost of $35/line. $35*24mo=$840+650 for the passport=a total cost of ownership of $1490. Even moving up to the 30GB would be $41/m*24mo+650=$1634. Keep in mind this includes mobile hotspot, no throttling of speeds and unlimited talk.

So as you mentioned do your homework. The newer plans are designed specifically to make up for the cost of full retail by not jacking up the service. Does that mean that everyone should immediately switch to mobile share and Next? No! Absolutely not! But for many people it is a decent deal. It's something that needs to be evaluated on a case by case basis, unfortunately many people suck at their jobs.

Posted via CB10
    They should just drop this subsidized and locked phone nonsense but they know they can't because phones are the only way they can retain a customer. By forcing specific phones to be available for only specific carriers and manufacturers supporting this making 5 versions of the same phone with bastardized bands, we will never get rid of this device nonsense.
    Sadly I am stuck with ATT with unlimited data and 450 min talk and no way to add unlimited, I am paying $90/mo with taxes. This is nonsense. My contract is up in Nov, I thought about jumping to T-Mo. But if you compare services, even with, 5gig data, I'd have to pay similar AND buy a phone out of pocket since my phone may or may not have their LTE bands (although I know they have it)

Then you have the smaller MNVO's that offer limited service for fraction of the cost, look at cricket, $35/mo, no taxes, amazing, but you won't get roaming.

Sent from Z30 on Tapatalk
    03-20-15 09:15 PM
    They should just drop this subsidized and locked phone nonsense but they know they can't because phones are the only way they can retain a customer. By forcing specific phones to be available for only specific carriers and manufacturers supporting this making 5 versions of the same phone with bastardized bands, we will never get rid of this device nonsense.
    Sadly I am stuck with ATT with unlimited data and 450 min talk and no way to add unlimited, I am paying $90/mo with taxes. This is nonsense. My contract is up in Nov, I thought about jumping to T-Mo. But if you compare services, even with, 5gig data, I'd have to pay similar AND buy a phone out of pocket since my phone may or may not have their LTE bands (although I know they have it)

Then you have the smaller MNVO's that offer limited service for fraction of the cost, look at cricket, $35/mo, no taxes, amazing, but you won't get roaming.

Sent from Z30 on Tapatalk
    Honestly, call AT&T and tell them you're switching unless they give you the 7GB promo plan they were offering earlier this month. It's $90 for 7GB with unlim talk&txt with hotspot int'l sms, all the new perks and finance a phone. Otherwise stay on two year. Idk man, one evil or the other. No one is great. You want country wide service etc, you pay more for the embedded infrastructure costs. Such is the world we live in.

Edit, reread your first comment. If they were to dump carrier locked and subsidies then everyone would be forced to pay retail. This is exactly what they are doing. All you have to do to unlock your phone is pay it off. Then you own it, they unlock it for free and you go on your jolly way. What's the difference?

Posted via CB10
    03-20-15 09:42 PM
    Honestly, call AT&T and tell them you're switching unless they give you the 7GB promo plan they were offering earlier this month. It's $90 for 7GB with unlim talk&txt with hotspot int'l sms, all the new perks and finance a phone. Otherwise stay on two year. Idk man, one evil or the other. No one is great. You want country wide service etc, you pay more for the embedded infrastructure costs. Such is the world we live in.

Edit, reread your first comment. If they were to dump carrier locked and subsidies then everyone would be forced to pay retail. This is exactly what they are doing. All you have to do to unlock your phone is pay it off. Then you own it, they unlock it for free and you go on your jolly way. What's the difference?

Posted via CB10

The reason for carrier locked phones, I would much rather if everyone paid retail instead of gimmicks or contracts or finances and we open up the market to direct manufacturer sold phones like Motorola, Blackberry, etc.. I don't think Samsung is doing that, why not because of their close ties with carriers. If they simply sold unlocked GSM devices, then you only have to compare one thing and one thing only, Service cost & coverage, not which phone is sold for how much, etc..

I think I am going to wait a bit more and see what they have to offer me, maybe they can get me a free Classic, I might just stay. There is always an option of moving to T-Mo after getting a phone from AT&T. Unless they give me a good phone, T-Mobile's $60 with 3GB + Data Stash is the next best thing in the market.

Compare that to 2 years contracted $100 for $500 phone, you save $400, still it's only $17/mo in savings vs having to pay $20 more for the same service. So once again, it all comes down to which phone is offered by which carrier.
    03-20-15 10:14 PM
    Going back to the topic of the thread...

I played with the Classic too but didn't get a really good feel of it. Also, having a Passport, the Classic seemed off with its response time.

I might just get another Passport. I don't mind paying full price because I get the discount on the phone line anyway. Or I might get one of the original Passport models without the wireless charging... I've never had a problem with any of my BlackBerry phones and I'm really getting familiar with the Passport.

via Z30

Edit: I got the promo for the 7gb plan they offered and since I'm already out of contract, I decided to get the Passport for my primary line and use my Z30 on my secondary line.
    03-20-15 10:32 PM
    The reason for carrier locked phones, I would much rather if everyone paid retail instead of gimmicks or contracts or finances and we open up the market to direct manufacturer sold phones like Motorola, Blackberry, etc.. I don't think Samsung is doing that, why not because of their close ties with carriers. If they simply sold unlocked GSM devices, then you only have to compare one thing and one thing only, Service cost & coverage, not which phone is sold for how much, etc..

I think I am going to wait a bit more and see what they have to offer me, maybe they can get me a free Classic, I might just stay. There is always an option of moving to T-Mo after getting a phone from AT&T. Unless they give me a good phone, T-Mobile's $60 with 3GB + Data Stash is the next best thing in the market.

Compare that to 2 years contracted $100 for $500 phone, you save $400, still it's only $17/mo in savings vs having to pay $20 more for the same service. So once again, it all comes down to which phone is offered by which carrier.
    My point is that there's no interest on the financing so it's the same price. A lot of people don't have $700 lying around. Personally I bought mine for shopbb for $599 so I saved $50(not to mention 4 months wait time). To each their own.

Not trying to defend carriers here, they suck, just trying to keep the facts straight.

Posted via CB10
    03-21-15 08:17 AM
    Edit: I got the promo for the 7gb plan they offered and since I'm already out of contract, I decided to get the Passport for my primary line and use my Z30 on my secondary line.
    Good on ya, it's actually a really decent deal

Posted via CB10
    03-21-15 08:18 AM
    Rather...Interesting conversation about carriers, unlocked phones, and other slight derails of the OP, lol.

I'm not entirely sure, but as far as I know, I'm probably on that shared plan with the five lines. Once my lazy rear gets a job, I'll hopefully be able to at least pay for part of the phone bills, but I don't think me buying an unlocked phone is in the pipeline for now.

Back on topic, how well does the Passport do on gaming? I do some pretty light gaming once in a while when I have writer's block, but I imagine it'd run games buttery smooth. In fact, my Z10 runs Five Nights at Freddy's 1 and 2 really well and ran Deer Hunter 2014 pretty nicely, too. What I'm worried about is the 1:1 screen ratio and how that'll affect gameplay. I do know about the zoom in and zoom out feature of the Passport for Android apps, so at least I have that to help. I also heard about black bars on top and bottom of the screen when watching videos, but that isn't much of a problem for me, truth be told.

Posted via CB10
    03-21-15 09:54 AM
    Kind of like the BB Pearl Flip. A lot of people didn't like it but I personally loved it. Unconventional but perty.
    I had a Pearl Flip as a work phone, and now that you mention it, that might not be a bad form factor for BlackBerry to try (flip phones are still popular in Asia). The only issue I had was that the trackball was kind of wonky.

Posted from CB10 on my classy Passport--TBUCK64
    03-21-15 03:51 PM
44 12