Note: I didn't get a chance to play with the Classic, unfortunately, so I can't comment on it.

Note #2: If you don't wanna read a long ramble from some college girl, you probably don't wanna read this.

So...my first impressions of it? Where to start...

Well, build quality seemed really nice, if the demo unit the store had was anything to go by. The back felt a bit slick to me, though, but I might be alone on that, plus it was a demo unit so... Then again, I'm pretty accustomed to the glass and metal of the iPhones my family uses, so it felt somewhat odd. Other than that, the phone seemed really solid.

The rounded corners seemed to fit very well in my hands, and this is coming from an 18-year-old 4'9" girl. To be fair, though, I've never had an original Passport, so I can't really compare. Also, the Passport didn't feel as heavy as I expected, even with the tethering gear attached to it.

However, my tiny hands made the wide phone look even wider. I'll probably use a holster for this, as I'm not crazy about purses at all. Still, I love the screen size. Besides, a big phone would probably compensate for my tiny size. ;-) Not to mention make a statement in a family full of iPhone users. Additionally, after going back to my Z10, said Z10 felt tiny and a bit cramped.

The keyboard felt very nice to type on, but it was awkward to actually type on it. Not complaining, though, since I expected a learning curve and I played with the phone for not even five minutes (brother-in-law was paying the phone bill and I wanted to see the Passport). But the keys seemed easy to press as far as physical keyboards go, so I look forward to actually getting it, though it was clicky. Might make things tougher to text my significant other at night, though, lol. Swiping and selecting text was really easy, but I didn't get the chance to scroll through the browser with it.

So there's my first impressions, all within five minutes of playing with it. I would cough up $600+ for it, but I kinda need it for college textbooks next semester, but that's not the point. I could explain why I couldn't just go to the AT&T store, but that's also irrelevant.

TL;DR - I really love this beast of a phone already.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-15 10:08 PM
    Thanks for your thoughts. Next time I am in the U.S. I will try and check one out!

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.1.2480
    03-17-15 10:13 PM
    You'll probably notice that the keys are a bit stiff at first. They'll soften up with some use and become easier to type on.

There is also a small adjustment period.

As for typing at night, they keys light up, so you'll be fine.

Posted via CB10
    CharlieV likes this.
    03-17-15 10:15 PM
    I can't disagree with anything you have said. I'd add that the sound is excellent and the battery life is excellent. I rarely even think of plugging in my Passport anymore. I take it off the charger in the morning and I'm good to go for the day.

I know it's tough being a student, but I hope you find a way to pick one up. You won't regret it.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-15 10:21 PM
    I have the squared version of the Passport and the overl-clickiness of the keys wore off in about a week. That's consistent with my previous models. When it gets to that stage the keyboard is like butter.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-15 11:15 PM
    Is the bottom part of benzel steel or plastic?
    03-17-15 11:45 PM
    You an 18 year old college girl? You got IG?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by denicoespadilla; 03-18-15 at 08:35 AM.
    03-17-15 11:45 PM
    Nice, thanks for sharing.

I wonder how different it is from my telus passport.
    I keep reading people say the keyboard is less stiff than on the original passport but i don't find my passport's keyboard stiff at all.

maybe the ATT passport keyboard is smooth like butter loll
    03-18-15 02:05 AM

And you an 18 year old college girl? You got IG?

Posted via CB10
    El oh el.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-15 02:34 AM
    I still love the device, and I've had mine since early October.

It's like no other device I've ever seen. It works like no other device I've ever used. I was initially impressed with the device build, and it hasn't deteriorated in any way since (and mine sees heavy use). The keyboard did, indeed, "break in", but mine shows no outward signs of any wear at all.

The width takes getting used to, no question. Keyboard purists may never get used to the hybrid half-physical/half-virtual keyboard, but I honestly think it's brilliant. Whatever anyone may say about BlackBerry, nobody can touch them when it comes to a great user experience for text entry. I remain very pleased with the Passport, and I still kind of marvel that BlackBerry actually released such an unconventional device.
    PonyCrazyKid likes this.
    03-18-15 02:44 AM
    Is the bottom part of benzel steel or plastic?
    It is plastic.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-15 06:58 AM
    Admiral Cain, Passport is the perfect accessory for your Pegasus

Posted via CB10 with PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576
    03-18-15 08:30 AM
    You an 18 year old college girl? You got IG?

Posted via CB10
    Haha, no. :-) I don't like Instagram, actually. I'm not a photographer anyways. I only ever use FB, CB, and BBM.

Posted via CB10
    denicoespadilla likes this.
    03-18-15 09:01 AM
    I can't disagree with anything you have said. I'd add that the sound is excellent and the battery life is excellent. I rarely even think of plugging in my Passport anymore. I take it off the charger in the morning and I'm good to go for the day.

I know it's tough being a student, but I hope you find a way to pick one up. You won't regret it.

Posted via CB10
    To me, the huge battery life is one of the main selling points for me, which is why I can live with the learning curve for that battery. This would be the third phone I have ever had with a physical keyboard, so it honestly felt nice going back. Love my Z10, but after playing with the Passport for a bit...

As for me picking one up, I could always wait till my contract goes up and I can get one for $200. My niece and nephew got iPhones on a contract and those were both $200, if not more, so I'm sure my sister wouldn't mind me getting a high-end phone. Plus, she knows I'm stuck on BlackBerry, so she'd never force Apple on me.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-15 09:10 AM
    You have such a good/smart sister

[QUOTE=Steel_Winged Pegasus;11479911
    As for me picking one up, I could always wait till my contract goes up and I can get one for $200. My niece and nephew got iPhones on a contract and those were both $200, if not more, so I'm sure my sister wouldn't mind me getting a high-end phone. Plus, she knows I'm stuck on BlackBerry, so she'd never force Apple on me.

Posted via CB10[/QUOTE]

Posted via CB10
    03-18-15 10:46 AM
    Just switched to the att version from the original.

Loving the rounded corners over the square. Just makes it easier to handle, pocket and general interactions.

The functionality is basically the same, except for the wireless charging, which is fantastic. Nice improvements.

You cannot go wrong though with either version.

Posted via CB10
    lang007 likes this.
    03-18-15 01:03 PM
    You might want to get the passport through Next if you don't mind paying the monthly fee for it.

I think it's a well built phone and should last you a fairly long time. BlackBerry does make pretty solid flagship phones.

The wireless charging is really a plus for me. I charge my phone at night and I'm good to go all day and then some.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-15 05:05 PM
    Passport to is the best! Just get one.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-15 06:33 PM
    You write incredibly well. Thank you for sharing. If I was 10 years younger I would probably be trying to marry you. Lol

Posted via CB10
    03-18-15 06:43 PM
    Textbooks before new shiny gadget.

Solid priorities,.. I can see why you're here and not over at iMore.

Posted via CB10
    Skatophilia likes this.
    03-18-15 06:52 PM
    Nice, thanks for sharing.

I wonder how different it is from my telus passport.
    I keep reading people say the keyboard is less stiff than on the original passport but i don't find my passport's keyboard stiff at all.

maybe the ATT passport keyboard is smooth like butter loll
    For me the keyboard felt very stiff at first, but I think part of that was coming from a screen keyboard.

Now, the tables have turned. I attack my screen keyboard with strong, exercised thumbs. It begs for mercy.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on a Note 3. Giving my Passport a rest.
    03-18-15 09:55 PM
    You might want to get the passport through Next if you don't mind paying the monthly fee for it.

I think it's a well built phone and should last you a fairly long time. BlackBerry does make pretty solid flagship phones.

The wireless charging is really a plus for me. I charge my phone at night and I'm good to go all day and then some.

Posted via CB10
    Wireless charging.

I was unaware of that.

Envy.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on a Note 3. Giving my Passport a rest.
    03-18-15 09:57 PM
  23. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    And with the latest OS the camera really rocks!!!!

Posted via CB10
    03-18-15 10:13 PM
    You'll probably notice that the keys are a bit stiff at first. They'll soften up with some use and become easier to type on.

There is also a small adjustment period.

As for typing at night, they keys light up, so you'll be fine.

Posted via CB10
    The ATT keys are actually pretty easy to press compared to the OG Passport. I don't like the feel of the ATT design's keyboard, but a lot of people do.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-15 11:20 PM
    For me the keyboard felt very stiff at first, but I think part of that was coming from a screen keyboard.

Now, the tables have turned. I attack my screen keyboard with strong, exercised thumbs. It begs for mercy.

I actually just noticed this as I have a black and red Passport. Been using the black as daily driver. Pulled out the red the other day after calling about the new BlackBerry protection (the only BlackBerry I have that is eligible is the red Passport, had the black too soon).

Anyway, back to the point, I couldn't believe the difference in the keyboard from using the black daily since September/October versus the almost brand new never really broken in red Passport. The red was much more stiff and clicky. I'm sure that the black had originally felt the same, but was able to notice a pretty significant difference going directly from one to the other. I actually like the stiffness lol... on another note, the Passport is my first keyboard device and the three row keyboard is amazing.

So much better than typing on glass and I still get to swipe up for word prediction, the device pretty much knows what virtual keys to show depending where and what I'm typing. The Passport still amazes me! Think I'm going to get the protection on the red Passport and switch the SIM and use as my daily driver.

I've pretty much gotten all the attention and questions from friends and work, I guess it would be cool to switch it up on them and show off the red Passport! lol such an awesome device that the masses are missing out on...

Posted via CB10
    03-19-15 12:56 AM
44 12