I have been waiting just about what seems like forever to get my mom on the Passport. I've had one since launch... then came the iPhone 6 which my mom was looking into getting, but I told her the Passport would be on AT&T soon. Then, as you all know, AT&T decides to redesign the damn phone! This left me without cases or accessories. Her only requirements were a pink case (cheap TPU, anything really that is feminine) and a mirror screen protector.

As her patience was running thin I kept telling her to hold off for a bit. Well today was the day that we went to the AT&T corporate store and she purchased a Passport on contract for $199. As a side note, I really loved the feel of the Classic; might just get one in Navy Blue if that comes out.

So it went down like this... first AT&T redesigns the phone removing all accessories, cases, screen protectors, etc. Then I find out SEIDIO was going to make a case and that it would be available in gold. Perfect. When it came she was expecting more of a gold color versus the bronze color that it came in, but it actually looks pretty classy and matches her car perfectly lol. All in all she was OK with the case.

Next up was the screen protector, which had to be a mirror. I found one on Amazon for the original and ordered it. Went out on a limb and we purchased the Passport, but I told the sales rep to leave it in the box and just give me the nano-SIM and I will set it up for her prior to activating. Anyway, the case is a perfect fit and I love the feel of it. She has not seen the phone yet besides my original and the AT&T in the box.

After a few hours of messing with settings, the device switch app, and BlackBerry Link, I was able to put on the mirror screen protector. This was a bit tricky as I had to cut both corners as well as extra on the right side for the front camera. All in all I don't think I did a bad job. Not 100% happy with it, but will likely order another and redo this.

As for my in-store experience, both the Passport and Classic were on display. They were on different ends of the store which I thought was odd considering the rounding of the corners would make the Passport display unit look nice next to the Classic display unit, but hey at least they were both on display. We walked in and the guy I spoke with on the phone was busy so I started working with another sales rep.

My mom said she thinks I scared him as he was very nervous. I was just spewing out information on BlackBerry 10 and asked for a nano-SIM with the new IMEI, add insurance, and no change in plan (unlimited data). I did ask how the Passport was selling and the sales rep said that he personally did not sell any, but the store has been selling a few each week, with the Classic being more popular for those looking to upgrade for free on contract.

Anyway, after this long wait, I am very happy to say that my mom will be waking up to the Passport pictured below tomorrow. This is her Mother's Day gift from my sister and I this year. Last year we were able to switch her from an iPhone to the Z10 for Mother's Day, which was a huge hassle at the time with imessage. At the time my sister and I were able to buy the Z10 directly from BlackBerry for $199 unlocked. So she is used to BlackBerry 10 which is good as I feel the Passport is such a huge leap especially for those that don't know the OS.

I kept her Z10 on 10.2 so she will be able to enjoy all that come with 10.3.1. I setup the device and everything is running excellent, battery amazing out of the box, no flickering or any other issues. Hardware is 100% solid; better than the original in my opinion. No lightbleed, nothing I could find wrong at all... not even a loose volume key.

I took the pictures below with my original black Passport as you'll likely see in the reflection. I will probably be purchasing more mirror screen protectors as I'm not too happy with the workaround, but I think she'll love it as it looks great overall. Coming from the original I really like the feel of the AT&T version and I also noticed that the keys aren't stiff at first like the black and red Passports were (they did break in).

I'm really loving the device! I will stop rambling on now and post some pics, but for those that have any questions regarding original or AT&T, we have both in the house now so feel free to ask! Overall, nice experience with AT&T. They actually saw my original Passport and pointed me to the Classic to see what I thought of it. As I wrote, that is a solid build and the Passport being my first PKB device the Classic KB and trackpad intrigues me.

Anyway, here are some pics... I will likely be adding all of her apps tomorrow which will hopefully be available through Amazon. If not it's going to be either Snap or Google Play. OK, think I'm done rambling lol :-)
    aha, sweb, Numero12 and 21 others like this.
    04-18-15 01:38 AM
    So thoughtful.

Posted via CB10 with PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576
    04-18-15 01:53 AM
    So thoughtful.

Posted via CB10 with PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576
    Thanks! We try... weren't sure if we were going to be able to swing the Passport, but she has been off contract for a while, but paying for one to keep unlimited data so my sister and I will be splitting the $200. Hoping she loves it as much as I do!

Edit to my edit: Looks like all 3 of the pics are showing now. Weird, but they're all there.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by RLTurn77; 04-18-15 at 08:58 AM.
    04-18-15 02:16 AM
    Let us know her reaction! Lucky Mom to have such great kids! I am sure she will appreciate it!

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.281
    04-18-15 02:19 AM
    Let us know her reaction! Lucky Mom to have such great kids! I am sure she will appreciate it!

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.281
    Thanks! Will do... update coming tomorrow. Think it's time for bed zzzZZZ.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-15 02:25 AM
    congrats she will love it

Posted via CB10
    04-18-15 03:48 AM
    Congrats, I hope your mom enjoys it more and more. Did you hook her up with BBM so you guys can start messaging right away?
    04-18-15 04:42 AM
    Congrats, I hope your mom enjoys it more and more. Did you hook her up with BBM so you guys can start messaging right away?
    lol yup... just waking up. I'm exhausted, up too late... First thing I did was hook up BBM and sent her all of my free sticker packs so she could have a bunch to play around with. Managed to grab a handful of free sticker packs since BBM started with stickers. I hope she is enjoying it as well!

Little off-topic, but I definitely think BBM should have a few free sticker packs there to download to get people started using the stickers. Going to be using BBM rather than SMS to chat with her now. Couldn't believe how many sticker packs there are! Tried to keep up in the beginning, but can't afford all of them now lol.

As for my mom, she actually just ran out somewhere which woke me up so I have no idea what she thinks yet. She did send me a "thank you" BBM. When she gets back will download all of her apps and she should be good to go.

Just looked at the pic of the front and I'm definitely not really happy with my cuts on the screen protector. Def didn't get the cut perfectly straight on the right side so will order another and try again. Just used scissors without marking or anything. Guess I'm not as good as I thought lol... will do it differently when I get another screen protector in.

She should be back soon and I'll get her apps on there and see what her first impressions on the Passport are. Should be interesting. I know she had the font size up there since her eyes aren't the best without reading glasses so I really think the wide screen will be a huge benefit. Definitely a different type of smartphone though!

Posted via CB10
    04-18-15 08:52 AM
    I'm waiting for the official face to face response????

Well? Lol

Via Digicel 10.3.1.1779
    04-18-15 09:45 AM
    FINALLY mom got her Passport! AT&T with pics!-img_20150418_231818.jpg

My son just loves his mum's q10 lol little off topic but you know

Posted via CB10
    04-18-15 01:21 PM
    For the screen protector, I'd say get a piece of paper and place it over the screen. Since the AT&T version has a lip, you can use a pencil to trace on the inside of the lip and around the speaker grill. You can then cut that out and use it as a stencil for the real protector.

Regarding the camera cutout, since it seems like you're OCD like me, you should just use a three hole punch to get a perfect circle.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    04-18-15 02:10 PM
    Very nice gesture. I've subscribed to this thread now. So, looking forward to your Mum's thoughts of her new Passport...
    04-18-15 08:51 PM
    OK so this morning/afternoon went well with apps. Told her any apps she needed I'd get. Almost was able to grab them all off of Amazon (except instagram which I used igrann). My sister prefers igrann (sp?) over instagram when I had my Z30 on Verizon and switched to AT&T for the Passport she went from an iPhone to my Verizon Z30.

Anyway, what I did was downloaded all of her apps, which are all on the last page of icons and put BlackBerry World before igrann, then Amazon before whatever apps I got from there, then Snap and the apps from there. She doesn't have a Google account and I don't use mine so just signed her into my gmail that Verizon made me create when I was on Android. Never used it besides for Snap. Had to explain the different app stores. Tried to make it logical. I thought about installing Google Play, but already had the Snap bar from a while ago sitting there so only took a few minutes.

I'm assuming the Amazon apps will show when there are updates, but not sure if Snap will notify of updates? Any help there would be great. She actually asked if I put Google Maps on her phone since she uses it all of the time on her Z10. I pretty much laughed and turned on the Z10 to see what the hell she was talking about... it was BlackBerry Maps... she couldn't believe it lol. The BlackBerry Maps app works really well around here; never had a problem.

First impressions were mixed, she was having a lot of trouble holding the Passport and was replying to texts by typing with one hand and holding the Passport with the other. I quickly fixed this to the two thumb typing or she would have been stuck with a bad habit typing in slow motion lol.

She absolutely loves the screen size and the physical keyboard. Loves the mix between physical and virtual and how it mirrors the keys. All of her apps are working flawlessly. Battery life shocked her a bit even with all of the setting up and downloading of apps. She snapped a few different pics and said this is the best camera she's ever used on a phone. I know others have complained about it, but she is coming from a mix of an iPhone 5S and Z10.

Overall, really not too much to report on the first day other than the battery, screen, camera, apps working great, and difficulty being able to type. She did say it felt top heavy and her wrists were hurting. At this point, I readjusted her hands and moved the phone up and she was doing much better with the typing. She loves the stereo speakers. Had Pandora going while cooking.

She loves the screen. As I wrote her eyes aren't the best and the other slabs just don't have the wide screen like the Passport. Loved using Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest on the Passport. Loved being able to actually see what the subject of her emails said rather than being cutoff as her font was up to 12 on the Z10. Same goes for texts. She thought the mirror screen protector was great although I will be fixing it... the mirror is bad enough (just my opinion, I like it matte) so I have to get it perfect.

Really the only negative things that I can think of was just getting the two thumb typing down and she did mention that she'd prefer a "blingier" case. So all in all she is really happy. Told her I wanted to take her to the AT&T store Friday so she would have the weekend to adjust to the typing before the work week and as far as cases I told her the SEIDIO looks nice and not cheap so she's warming up to that. I figure more cases will likely come out or at least a few feminine colors for her. She loves the entire look of the OS compared to 10.2 along with some of the features I showed her.

Lastly, right before she went to bed, I downloaded Blend on her ipad and she thought that was really cool. She'll likely play with Blend on the ipad more tomorrow. I did ask for a picture of her with her new Passport for all of you on CB and she was a little camera shy and said you need to wait until I'm camera ready lol. It was a nice Saturday here so we were all being bums and just chillin in and out of the house.

I'm really glad she is liking it. I know it took me a week or so to get used to typing as this is my first PKB device so we'll see how that goes. I already armed her with a bunch of specs and nonsense as I'm sure she'll be getting a lot of attention at the Doctor's office on Monday (work). Told her to tell the doc that this is a real device ha. She said she'll let him know I said that and told him to dump his ipad mini. Funny.

So hopefully as she gets used to the device more, I'll be able to patch up the slightly off screen protector and maybe some new cases will come out in the meantime. One question came up that I probably should have known, but no clue so maybe somebody can help out. With the awesome screen and size she really likes the bedtime mode with the red clock. Is there a way to get the clock to stay on all night? She has a stand that is universal and works with the Passport and wants to be able to just look over at the clock if she wakes up in the middle of the night or whatever. I'm sure there is likely a way to keep the clock on, but I couldn't help her with that.

As I've said to others we now have a black original, red original, and black AT&T version of the Passport in the house so any questions or any help I can provide for those questioning the differences I'll do my best if asked. I know being on CB really changed my whole take on mobile. Been here since right before the BB10 launch and not going anywhere! Thanks for all the positive replies :-)

Posted via CB10
    04-18-15 09:32 PM
    For the screen protector, I'd say get a piece of paper and place it over the screen. Since the AT&T version has a lip, you can use a pencil to trace on the inside of the lip and around the speaker grill. You can then cut that out and use it as a stencil for the real protector.

Regarding the camera cutout, since it seems like you're OCD like me, you should just use a three hole punch to get a perfect circle.
    Lucas D... cute pic!

You are definitely correct with the OCD. I use a matte protector as I can't stand a smudge or a fingerprint! I appreciate your help/advice with the screen protector. Didn't really think the screens were going to be that different with the redesign. I was glad I was able to get it on decent enough as I knew it was for the original and I'd have to do some cutting. The hole punch is a great idea for the front camera. She didn't have an issue and thought it looked fine, but I will def be fixing this soon. Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    Andy_bb_king and Andy_bb_king like this.
    04-18-15 09:43 PM

So hopefully as she gets used to the device more, I'll be able to patch up the slightly off screen protector and maybe some new cases will come out in the meantime. One question came up that I probably should have known, but no clue so maybe somebody can help out. With the awesome screen and size she really likes the bedtime mode with the red clock. Is there a way to get the clock to stay on all night? She has a stand that is universal and works with the Passport and wants to be able to just look over at the clock if she wakes up in the middle of the night or whatever. I'm sure there is likely a way to keep the clock on, but I couldn't help her with that.

Posted via CB10
    The clock stays on if you put it in bedside mode. I don't have an alarm clock, only my phone.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-15 09:44 PM
    The clock stays on if you put it in bedside mode. I don't have an alarm clock, only my phone.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks, but still have a question... I use the lock screen to pull down the red clock, but after a few the screen goes black. Is there another way to get to bedside mode? I had the same results on my mom's Passport. Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    04-19-15 12:25 AM
    This is more that your mum using a blackberry passport. It shows your love for your mum.

Keep it up and all the best.

Posted Via CB10 From My Z30 Running On OS10.3.2.281
    bungaboy likes this.
    04-19-15 12:39 AM
    Thanks, but still have a question... I use the lock screen to pull down the red clock, but after a few the screen goes black. Is there another way to get to bedside mode? I had the same results on my mom's Passport. Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    That's how I do it too. I believe the only time the screen goes out is if your phone isn't plugged in.

You can add bedside mode to the pull down menu at the top. I'm not sure if that would work differently or not.

Posted via CB10
    04-19-15 12:43 AM
    I think it's a great story. Thanks for sharing!

Posted via CB10
    04-19-15 08:18 AM
    That's how I do it too. I believe the only time the screen goes out is if your phone isn't plugged in.

You can add bedside mode to the pull down menu at the top. I'm not sure if that would work differently or not.

Posted via CB10
    That's likely the answer... didn't have the phone plugged in.

Posted via CB10
    04-19-15 08:42 AM
    Just wanted to say thanks for the positive replies! I realize I tend to write out way too much and can be redundant. Had a Professor give me back a paper that was minimum 2 pages and mine was over 10 lol. So thanks to those that have wasted a few minutes of their lives to read this thread. As for my mom, I'll likely do an update after she has more time with the phone. I did tell her the return window if she wasn't comfortable with the form factor, but she is really persistent that she loves the device. Just not sure what my sister and I are going to do next year for mother's day lol.

So far so good though. She is still trying to get the two thumb typing and holding the device comfortably down. Otherwise, absolutely no complaints from her. She's really impressed with the screen size and the speakers... and the battery. Told her I'd check it today since I have a decent amount of Android apps with permission to run in background. Charged last evening around 15 hours ago and at 88%. Granted she didn't use it overnight, but still impressive. At this point, she is hooking the Passport up to her BT speakers and completely ditching the iPhone 5S/Z10 combo. She's really happy and said she can't wait to show it off during the family's mother's day dinner.

One thing that I think is worth mentioning, but a bit off topic. If it weren't for me she'd be missing 2 of her apps with 1 being critical for her to use daily. I guess she would have had to just bring it up on the ipad to check, but that's not always with her. She is a health nut and tracks everything she eats and uses the weight watchers point system. Not sure why the weight watchers app on Amazon was just wrong. No way to sign in to her account, just a calculator and point counter. I guess my point is that even with Amazon there are still some missing apps. If I remember correctly, I don't think instagram was on Amazon either. I know Netflix didn't show. I asked if she wanted Netflix on her phone and she said no that's what the TV is for lol. I was just thinking of people that may buy the Passport and not have anybody who really knows BB10 to help get the device perfect. I just happened to already have a Snap bar on the computer (and an unused gmail) to load which completed every app she asked for.

Edit: Typo

Posted via CB10
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    04-19-15 09:05 AM
    Love this thread. Glad she likes the Passport! If the phone is plugged in, the screen will stay on in bedside mode..

I'm a big dude living in a big world. I need a big phone! Posted via my amazingly correctly sized Passport!
    04-19-15 09:08 AM
    Long read but worth it, lol. Glad your Mom likes her phone, but I suspect she loves her two children even more for going to so much effort to make it a flawless experience for her to use.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    04-19-15 04:22 PM
    Hey, good job.
    I am sure she is proud to call you son..

Oh, I have to agree you need a new screen protector for her.. other than that gr8 job.
    04-19-15 08:57 PM
    OK, so it's been a week or so and figured I'd give a quick update. I'm on the Z30 so won't be able to type a huge update, but I'll flick as much as possible lol. Anyway, as from the start everything is working great... Pandora, Pinterest, etc.

Earlier in the week my mom got a fitbit thing that measures your steps and how much you walk a day, health nut stuff. She came home and asked me, "Do I have an Android?" lol. Apparently she had to register on the laptop and has this clip thing to wear. She was told it would only sync to Android or iOS. I'm thinking this will be a mess, but downloaded from Amazon and it works great. Unbelievable lol.

She is typing much faster than on the Z10 or iPhone now using both thumbs and enjoying the large screen. The most impressive to her would be the battery life. She leaves for work around 6AM and gets home at 2PM. I picked up her Passport the other day to check the battery since I have about 10 Android apps with full permissions running in background and all. The battery was at 92%! Convinced her to not charge every night and do at least every other night for now. She skipped a night and after work the second day battery was at 60%. Amazing battery life.

All in all, she loves the large screen and every app utilizes the 1:1 without having to resize and she can see much better. Unfortunately, her eyes aren't good enough for swipe up when typing, but this has not changed from the Z10 and she is typing much faster with the physical keyboard. That actually surprised her since "nobody has a physical keyboard anymore".

Just everything is amplified on the Passport. She has no regrets resigning a contract for the Passport. For her that screen has been a life saver being able to use her phone for more things without having to find reading glasses. Oh... the speakers amaze her. Hooked her up to our Bluetooth speaker as well. She also uses speaker phone a lot and commented on others not even knowing that they are on speaker phone.

Complaints - Only one here... no aftermarket support. She doesn't really like the color of the case and there aren't other options at this point. Told her I'd let her know when a cheap hot pink TPU comes out lol and that it is still early; more options with colors and sparkles might come. She'd take a $2 TPU from Amazon if it was colorful or sparkly over the Seidio case. She is very happy with the mirror screen protector. Loves the screen size especially with the mirror. Basically doubles as her pocket mirror. I did order more to fix it a bit, but she thinks it looks good the way it is.

She's more happy with the speed of the Passport with browsing, apps, large screen, faster typing. The Passport is definitely perfect for her. Nothing but compliments on the phone! I'm very happy that she's enjoying the Passport since I let her know if she couldn't get used to it, it would be fine to return it. I'm also really surprised at how quick she adjusted to the physical keyboard and holding the phone properly without any strain on her hands/thumbs. So far so good!

Again, appreciate the positive comments!

Posted via CB10
    Korepab likes this.
    04-25-15 12:22 AM
36 12