OP Kareem, one question!

How does the device feel in hand while typing? The position of the keyboard is pretty low, so do you have to hold it in a unnatural position to type? And doesn't the top part of the device feel heavy? I had this experience on the Torch keyboard, which is while I never loved it. Hope you can elaborate on this!
    09-17-14 03:36 AM
    Attachment 298165

This looks pretty awkward. Top corner pokes into the scalp. Bottom corner digs into the thumb. The hand is held in a stretched position. The center of gravity way way up high and the entire phone is held by three fingers. I don't think a half an hour of that would be very comfortable.

Perhaps it can be held in a different way, however, I don't think you can use a passport as a guide because the phone is a lot thicker and heavier than a passport.
    Seriously, are you kidding? Why not just ask him how it feels instead of "analyzing" that one pic concluding the phone stabs thumb and scalp? Lol. There's like a thousand ways to hold a phone to your ear.

Posted via CB10
    WWBlondieDo and southlander like this.
    09-17-14 04:05 AM
    Attachment 298165

This looks pretty awkward. Top corner pokes into the scalp. Bottom corner digs into the thumb. The hand is held in a stretched position. The center of gravity way way up high and the entire phone is held by three fingers. I don't think a half an hour of that would be very comfortable.

Perhaps it can be held in a different way, however, I don't think you can use a passport as a guide because the phone is a lot thicker and heavier than a passport.
    Lol just lol, a pretty anal way of looking at it don't you think??

Everyone has different ways of holding phones up their ears. Maybe for the op, this is the most comfortable of ways to hold it up to his ears.
    Whereas for u or me it could be different. Just to point out that I own a z30 and I find it awkward at times holding it to my ear especially for long periods of time. But you just get used to it, if u can't then return the phone or sell it and get something that feels more comfortable against your ear...simples.

Posted via CB10
    09-17-14 04:29 AM
    I'm not sure if anyone asked yet, but as a developer i'd like to know. How do apps (10.2) which were not fixed for Passport behave? Are they bad looking or is it ok?
    I find them way better over here - ratio and performance wise
    Joao Oliveira likes this.
    09-17-14 04:33 AM
    OP Kareem, one question!

How does the device feel in hand while typing? The position of the keyboard is pretty low, so do you have to hold it in a unnatural position to type? And doesn't the top part of the device feel heavy? I had this experience on the Torch keyboard, which is while I never loved it. Hope you can elaborate on this!
    You just need to get used to it. As for the heavy part, no i didn't feel that but the device is extra wide so you do need big hands to feel comfortable while typing.
    09-17-14 04:35 AM
    Kareem, press and hold spacebar to jump to homescreen as well as minimize app without touching the screen

Posted via CB10
    Doesn't work mate
    Joao Oliveira and southlander like this.
    09-17-14 04:38 AM
    Kareem thx for all this information.
    Just one question from my part:
    Is there any option to create shortcuts?
    G.

Posted via CB10
    Nop
    09-17-14 04:40 AM
  8. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    CAMERA specs look amazing, Kareem.... blows past precious BlackBerry models....finally top rated...

Have you been able to compare photos with the iPhone? ...on par? better???

Thanks....

Posted via CB10
    09-17-14 04:45 AM
    Attachment 298165

You are absolutely correct. The device is extra wide and a lot of people won't be comfortable in holding it for a long time.

I've tried several ways to holding it but your hand is infact a bit stretched to hold it properly.

But you know what? It's the last thing on my mind with the experience this device gives you.
    09-17-14 04:48 AM
    Just a little question I am not sure you have the answer to.
    Is there any mention in the packaging or elsewhere of the Specific Absorption Rate (SAR) in W/Kg ?

One more thing, you precise as it is wide you have to have big hands, does it really matter at the end, the size of your hands, when you hold it with your two hands precisely?

Thanks again.
    09-17-14 04:49 AM
    CAMERA specs look amazing, Kareem.... blows past precious BlackBerry models....finally top rated...

Have you been able to compare photos with the iPhone? ...on par? better???

Thanks....

Posted via CB10
    I must say that i'm not really satisfied with the camera - its kind of the specs doesn't meet the quality i'm getting? Maybe because it's a Beta device? I cannot tell.

But to be more honest about it, i haven't put my head into it to properly configure and do proper testing. Comparing a quick photo from my previous Q10 to a quick one on the Passport - Q10 is better but i ask everyone not to take this judgement for now. I'll try to confirm this back over the weekend
    09-17-14 04:52 AM
    Just a little question I am not sure you have the answer to.
    Is there any mention in the packaging or elsewhere of the Specific Absorption Rate (SAR) in W/Kg ?

One more thing, you precise as it is wide you have to have big hands, does it really matter at the end, the size of your hands, when you hold it with your two hands precisely?

Thanks again.
    I got the device without the box so cannot answer your first query.

As for the second one, i'll put it this way (at least from my own experience): you can't just pull the Passport and start typing on spot - its more of take it out, place it in your 'relatively' comfy position and start typing. Don't know if i put it right and hope you got my point.
    BaffTech likes this.
    09-17-14 04:56 AM
    You just need to get used to it. As for the heavy part, no i didn't feel that but the device is extra wide so you do need big hands to feel comfortable while typing.
    I grabbed my passport document and held it like I was typing on a keyboard. I actually like the width! I actually had the device in my hand for a minute or two during one of the BlackBerry Experience events, but didn't get enough hands-on time to check these things out. Thanks bro!
    09-17-14 05:01 AM
    Attachment 298165

Nice comment

Posted via CB10
    early2bed likes this.
    09-17-14 07:27 AM
    I grabbed my passport document and held it like I was typing on a keyboard. I actually like the width! I actually had the device in my hand for a minute or two during one of the BlackBerry Experience events, but didn't get enough hands-on time to check these things out. Thanks bro!
    That's a major point that everyone keeps doing but its actually not true. Do not compare it to your actual passport document as it's actually wider + it's more rigid. You don't actually get a feel of how it's going to be.

Cheers
    09-17-14 07:30 AM
    I am 5'8 and my hands are not big and I have no issues holding this phone.
    Although I doubt I will hold it much.

As for typing this is definitely not a one handed typer. There is no way, even with big hands.

Seriously, are you kidding? Why not just ask him how it feels instead of "analyzing" that one pic concluding the phone stabs thumb and scalp? Lol. There's like a thousand ways to hold a phone to your ear.

Posted via CB10
    09-17-14 07:34 AM
    I must edit my post and add that whatever you read after this paragraph was more of a 'factor-form' shock which i'm getting accustomed to; run through the full thread and you'll see how this Passport can grow on you.

I was really anxious to see it physically as i had mixed emotions about it through the images (i think most of you do as well).

I've been waiting to get my hands on it for the past 2 weeks but, unfortunately, as soon as my friend gave it to me, my reaction was: "Listen, you can keep it". I actually ended up taking it just for the sake of trouble he's been into to bring me one.

Honestly speaking, i don't know how high were the designers.. I don't know if it will actually grow on me in terms of size, i have no idea how some people used to say that it's a 'sexy' design; it might be, but not in this size - its TOO wide. Couldn't they just make it a bit less wider? Or do you have to stick to the square screen when having a keyboard?

I brought it into the office this morning and showed it to few of my colleagues, the reaction was so negative.. At least when you buy a new phone, you expect people to take it and play around with it not laugh at you? It's not that i want to 'show off' but it should bring a positive vibe at least?

I've been a BB user since the Pearl era and i was really looking forward to this model as finally we have a large screen WITH a physical keyboard (which is one of the major things i'm still loyal to Blackberry).. Thought i'll be replacing my Q10 in a month but i'm really frustrated. As much as i'm trying to convince myself, it's just too odd in the hand..

Nonetheless, the device performance is indeed marvelous and the camera is excellent as well. If you're worried about the weird keyboard, don't worry, i got used to it after 10 minutes - it's not a big deal. But the size, i simply couldn't....

I hope a miracle happens and they release a less wide handset in the official launch!

Cheers from a loyal Blackberry user (i wonder till when..)
    I'll trade you my z30 and q10 for it!

Posted via CB10
    09-17-14 07:44 AM
    That's a major point that everyone keeps doing but its actually not true. Do not compare it to your actual passport document as it's actually wider + it's more rigid. You don't actually get a feel of how it's going to be.

Cheers
    I do appreciate your detailed insight on this
    kareem_ruhi and southlander like this.
    09-17-14 08:46 AM
    I must say that i'm not really satisfied with the camera - its kind of the specs doesn't meet the quality i'm getting? Maybe because it's a Beta device? I cannot tell.

But to be more honest about it, i haven't put my head into it to properly configure and do proper testing. Comparing a quick photo from my previous Q10 to a quick one on the Passport - Q10 is better but i ask everyone not to take this judgement for now. I'll try to confirm this back over the weekend
    Interesting. Curious to hear more. Not overly surprised to be honest because BlackBerry has a history of really delivering sub-par cameras. The Z30 camera is simply atrocious.

Further to this point, if the camera is the same as that found on the LG G2, it is very much an average camera at best, maybe 6/10 in terms of actual quality. I have the G2 in addition to BlackBerry Z10, Z30 (which I recently sold), and a Q10, and the G2 camera really isn't any better than the first-generation BlackBerry 10 devices. When I briefly owned the iPhone 5S, the camera simply blew away all of the above mentioned devices, including the G2.

Posted via CB10
    09-17-14 10:51 AM
    I do appreciate your detailed insight on this
    Also phone does NOT have pages, don't be misled

HTC TOUCH, Nokia-N97, BlackBerry Torch 9800, Z10
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    09-17-14 11:29 AM
    Interesting. Curious to hear more. Not overly surprised to be honest because BlackBerry has a history of really delivering sub-par cameras. The Z30 camera is simply atrocious.

Further to this point, if the camera is the same as that found on the LG G2, it is very much an average camera at best, maybe 6/10 in terms of actual quality. I have the G2 in addition to BlackBerry Z10, Z30 (which I recently sold), and a Q10, and the G2 camera really isn't any better than the first-generation BlackBerry 10 devices. When I briefly owned the iPhone 5S, the camera simply blew away all of the above mentioned devices, including the G2.

Posted via CB10
    Isn't that 13MP + OIS combination that built into the LG G3?

Anyway, smartphone cameras heavily depend on software so just because the phone uses the same sensor found in the G2 doesn't mean it's the same overall "camera".

Posted via CB10
    09-17-14 12:59 PM
    Wanted to share the battery percentage after 17 hours of taking the Passport off the charger.

It was on moderate use all day; lots of emails, few phone calls, all social networks connected and 5 email accounts synced.. downloaded few apps as well.. Connected on 3G and not 4G. Its worth trying the 4G tomorrow.

The interesting part is that based on this usage, my Q10 would've been around 30% AFTER a mid-day second full charge.

Impressive enough? I'm out of words.. Officially the best battery life among all smartphones in the market.

Hands down BlackBerry

Finally got my hands on BlackBerry Passport BUT...-img_20140918_002417.png

Posted via CB10
    09-17-14 03:38 PM
    Probably best to post a screen shot of your device monitor screen, that would give a better indication of how good the battery is on the passport.

For the record my z30 battery is immense and is only 2880mah whereas the passport is a much higher capacity battery so I have no doubt it will be better than the z30.

Posted via CB10
    09-17-14 03:51 PM
    Probably best to post a screen shot of your device monitor screen, that would give a better indication of how good the battery is on the passport.

For the record my z30 battery is immense and is only 2880mah whereas the passport is a much higher capacity battery so I have no doubt it will be better than the z30.

Posted via CB10
    True that.. Here's a full breakdown for those who are interested:

Finally got my hands on BlackBerry Passport BUT...-img_20140918_010046.png

Finally got my hands on BlackBerry Passport BUT...-img_20140918_010055.png

Finally got my hands on BlackBerry Passport BUT...-img_20140918_010105.png

Finally got my hands on BlackBerry Passport BUT...-img_20140918_010115.png

Finally got my hands on BlackBerry Passport BUT...-img_20140918_010135.png

Posted via CB10
    09-17-14 04:04 PM
    Kareem your posts and pictures have been excellent, thanks so much for taking the time to answer everyone's questions.

I have a question of my own... How is the Passport to type on? The Q10 for me was great, as per all Blackberry keypads, but I wondered if this is similar given that it is a lot different?
    Is it inconvenient to not have the symbols on the keys, or is it just as handy with them being on the screen above?

Also, how are you finding the track pad capabilities of the Passport? Good, bad, not using them?

Any thoughts would be brilliant! Thanks again
    09-17-14 04:06 PM
318 ... 56789 ...