So we need a yellow one variant, with an underwear shaped keypad protector.
    Holy Crapballs, yes!

If I were in a board meeting and a salesman came over with a Spongebob Passport, I would just buy whatever they're selling! (Yeah, I'm being facetious...)
    09-16-14 02:29 AM
    Thanks for your honest words and the new batch of photos and information as well.
    I do understand your initial reaction as well as the reaction of your colleagues about the Passport. When I saw the first leaked pictures, I had similar thoughts. However, as there have been discussed already in this topic, most people used to accept a specific kind of form factor about what a (smart)phone should look like. Back in the day when the first Note launched, people were also mocking it and most hardcore enthusiasts said such large sized devices will never be accepted by a larger amount of customers. A few years later we know how the story ended.

Of course the Note is, besides of the size, still shaped like a traditional candy bar device, unlike the wide Passport. I think once people start using it and see the benefits that new form factor has to offer, they simply accept the looks in their minds.
    09-16-14 02:56 AM
    Is the keyboard backlit or is it just the camera flash
    09-16-14 03:05 AM
    Is the keyboard backlit or is it just the camera flash
    Keyboard is backlit
    wojciechp likes this.
    09-16-14 03:18 AM
    Rahul1234 may say 'screw the appearance', but the fact is that if the Passport gets this sort of reaction from the general population, then it's potentially very damaging to the BlackBerry brand as a whole. Regardless of what the minority of BlackBerry fans think, the Passport may undo much of Chen's hard work to date. I'd hate to think it's going to be the product that makes BlackBerry become the laughing stock of the comms world...

Posted via CB10... on my Z30 10.2.1
    09-16-14 03:32 AM
    UPDATE:

Few things worth mentioning after 24 hours with the Passport:

1. Android apps work flawlessly on the Passport! Not sure if it's the 10.3 effect but i believe it's a combination of both; 10.3 + the Passport capabilities. I never see the black screen before launching the app (which clearly used to show that its not a BB app) - you click and you have the app infront of you - no lags whatsoever.

2. Social networks updates are being received on spot (i used to always have delays on my Q10 specially on LinkedIn and FB).

3. Better late than never - no more duplicated contacts after syncing all my accounts.

Hands down to BB from what i've witnessed so far, they have done a really good job. Keep in mind CB community, that's just a BETA. I'm sure there will be improvements in the official release with a bit of bug fixes in the OS (yes there are few but compared to previous "new" releases, this is considered fairly stable).

Some people wanted feedback on the battery life but i wouldn't judge it now as i've opened all my social networks + 5 emails which am sure are running in the background (incase some of you are wondering, yes the device became hot for a couple of hours). I'll give the device 48 hours before i do but it did run out quickly

Feel free to ask whatever you want and i'll reply whenever i can - i know how it feels to be on the wait, i was definitely lucky this time.
    09-16-14 04:13 AM
    I still haven't seen one picture of it held up to the ear. OP can you hook us up?
    09-16-14 04:16 AM
  8. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Thanks Kareem!!
    ... loving the Passport the more I hear about it!!

From my z30

Posted via CB10
    09-16-14 04:26 AM
    Rahul1234 may say 'screw the appearance', but the fact is that if the Passport gets this sort of reaction from the general population, then it's potentially very damaging to the BlackBerry brand as a whole. Regardless of what the minority of BlackBerry fans think, the Passport may undo much of Chen's hard work to date. I'd hate to think it's going to be the product that makes BlackBerry become the laughing stock of the comms world...

I agree. But you know what, after using the Passport and some deep thinking about this issue over the past 24 hours, logically speaking Blackberry is already out of the 'normal' consumer market and i don't think they will come back - at least not for the next couple of years and they actually don't have to.

Which sector is actually still using and fully dependent on them? Corporate and governments - mainly for security purposes. The normal user who's been given the company's BB is still buying a second phone (Samsung / iPhone) but eventually BB sold "him" one because his corporate did - he's forced to use it and with this revolution, he's going to be talking about it and the word of mouth from self-experience is the best marketing tool.

I'll put it in more simple, relatively shallow words: receive one email on the Passport and read it, you'll change your mind!

Trust me, its a total different experience.. I'm personally feeling the difference with each hour passing..

Incase anyone's wondering, i don't work for BB or paid to do any promotion. Infact, my initial reaction explains it all, but i'm a practical person who's looking at the bigger picture and don't live my life based on the present - this device is the start of the future.
    09-16-14 04:28 AM
    I still haven't seen one picture of it held up to the ear. OP can you hook us up?
    You really don't need to either, take your paper passport and hold that to your ear...bang that is what the passport will look like when up against your ear.

Of course if you haven't got a paper passport then I understand the need to see a pic of the passport up against an ear.

Posted via CB10
    09-16-14 04:32 AM
    I won't keep you waiting man.. A quick one in the office and forced one of those who laughed yesterday to take it.. How about that?

Finally got my hands on BlackBerry Passport BUT...-img-20140916-wa001.jpg
    09-16-14 05:03 AM
    Screw the appearance, how is the productivity with the device?

Posted via CB10
    Didn't you get the memo? Smart *cough* phones are all about design nowadays. Screw productivity.

;-)

Posted via CB10
    Steelsheen likes this.
    09-16-14 05:48 AM
    Thanks for your impressions OP....

While I think it will be like most BlackBerries, and productivity powerhouse... I have to wonder if being a little narrower and making it a more easy to use device one handed, wouldn't have been better??? It only those with really large hands are able to use it one handed... that seems to take away a little from the overall productivity.

Guys this thing is UGLY! Most here even said it in the beginning, and you can get use to ugly...
    In all fairness, Nilay Patel during the latest Vergecast concluded on the iPhone 6+ "it's simply time for guys to carry big *** phones"....so the Passport having a 5% smaller footprint than the 6+ make it a tad more viable in my books opposed to prior to the iPhone announcement.

Posted via CB10
    09-16-14 06:01 AM
    1. Does swiping up on Keyboard awake the device?
    2. Does scroll work in hub?
    3. Any short cuts to jump from Hub to App Menu (when home screen enabled) skipping the home page.
    neoberry99 likes this.
    09-16-14 06:01 AM
    I won't keep you waiting man.. A quick one in the office and forced one of those who laughed yesterday to take it.. How about that?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20140916-WA001.jpg 
Views:	8305 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	298165
    That actually doesn't look as awkward as I thought it would. Hope I get the chance to try one out in the near future.

Thanks for all of the info and pics!

Posted via BBCBZ10
    09-16-14 06:29 AM
    I think it will be dead on arrival product. the touch screen is very wide and keyboard height is small.

Passport: means no need to turn screen in landscape at all. but it come at a cost of wasted space above and below the pics and videos.

5 inch is the most decent size for majority of people around the world.

Posted via CB10
    earlym likes this.
    09-16-14 06:59 AM
    Thanks for your comments OP, it's really useful to know your thoughts on the phone.

I wanted to ask if you have sideloaded any Android apps using something like Snap. I'd really like to know if you can install apps like OneNote?
    09-16-14 07:00 AM

I will take advantage of the opportunity you are giving us. One of my obsessions is signal reception (capability of the phone of making a call in low signal reception areas such as basements or garages). Have you had a chance of comparing it with other phones?.
    Thanks.
    09-16-14 07:28 AM
    Man...oh man!

As much as I like Blackberry and the specs of the new phone, I think it will catch fire with controversy and criticism! I believe that the pundits that put down the Z10 will lock and load on the Passport for being so "out there" and call it "out of touch". I believe that people will continue to scoff, mock and laugh (out loud) at the form factor of the Passport and creatively bash it as another embarrassment for Blackberry. I believe that the "nay-sayers" will say that Blackberry is "really-so-far-gone" and out of step with what consumers want that their fate is inevitable.

I really don't think this form factor will entice the marketplace but will alienate users who will believe the billions of dollars worth of negative (free) press and there is no way that BB can counter advertise or promote the passport beyond that. Is this the nail in the coffin? I don't know, but people are gonna second guess this move and wonder why not "imitate" the leaders instead of blazing in a direction that no one is going.

Real soon, you'll hear about another US Govt brand that is ditching the BB altogether in favor of Samsungs. It'll be locked down, but the choice is clear that "everyone loves/wants a winner". That perception no longer belongs to Blackberry.

However, Go BB!
    Publisher1963 likes this.
    09-16-14 08:04 AM

Thanks for the image Kareem. It's good to see the Passport in a 'natural' environment. I have to say, though... it looks B-I-G!!!

09-16-14 08:05 AM
    Man...oh man!

As much as I like Blackberry and the specs of the new phone, I think it will catch fire with controversy and criticism! I believe that the pundits that put down the Z10 will lock and load on the Passport for being so "out there" and call it "out of touch". I believe that people will continue to scoff, mock and laugh (out loud) at the form factor of the Passport and creatively bash it as another embarrassment for Blackberry. I believe that the "nay-sayers" will say that Blackberry is "really-so-far-gone" and out of step with what consumers want that their fate is inevitable.

I really don't think this form factor will entice the marketplace but will alienate users who will believe the billions of dollars worth of negative (free) press and there is no way that BB can counter advertise or promote the passport beyond that. Is this the nail in the coffin? I don't know, but people are gonna second guess this move and wonder why not "imitate" the leaders instead of blazing in a direction that no one is going.

Real soon, you'll hear about another US Govt brand that is ditching the BB altogether in favor of Samsungs. It'll be locked down, but the choice is clear that "everyone loves/wants a winner". That perception no longer belongs to Blackberry.

However, Go BB!
    Respect your opinion but as i've mentioned through the thread, i don't think BB want to battle in the 'already lost' market. They're cementing themselves in their own market. Have you ever thought why the 'US' White House is still using the 'Canadian' phone and not their own 'US' product? Just like all other governments + corporate, i don't think they like the phone as a phone but it's more of security reasons with the unbeatable Enterprise servers.

With the Passports, i believe this 'no like' factor will be replaced by a more revolution + security experience which might and might not expand to the normal user market.

Just my humble opinion..
    Thunderbuck and Superfly_FR like this.
    09-16-14 08:32 AM
    I'm just curious why so many feel the form factor is too large and unorthodox. The dimensions seem to mimic that of an actual passport, give or take a tenth of an inch. Having just played around with my actual passport, I don't find it to be odd at all. I actually think they could have gone bigger. I do not have large hands, and still this shape is very comfortable to me. Have people taken the time to grab their real passports and get a sense of the size before adding such negative commentary? If you haven't, I suggest trying it. Really helps give some perspective.
    Spawn12 likes this.
    09-16-14 10:49 AM
    1. Does swiping up on Keyboard awake the device?
    2. Does scroll work in hub?
    3. Any short cuts to jump from Hub to App Menu (when home screen enabled) skipping the home page.
    1. No
    2. Yes
    3. No
    09-16-14 11:11 AM
    Thanks for your comments OP, it's really useful to know your thoughts on the phone.

I wanted to ask if you have sideloaded any Android apps using something like Snap. I'd really like to know if you can install apps like OneNote?
    Check post #106 point no. 1 - i got them all through Snap. Haven't came across 'OneNote' on Snap though.

Cheers
    09-16-14 11:15 AM
    Check post #106 point no. 1 - i got them all through Snap. Haven't came across 'OneNote' on Snap though.

Cheers
    OneNote IS on Amazon, but sadly still doesn't work on 10.3...
    09-16-14 11:22 AM
318 ... 34567 ...