So you're saying that if BB10 had just that one update in its runtime, then the devices would be significantly more futureproof ?
    In Android 4.4 Google introduced the "Android Runtime" to replace Dalvik which greatly improved app performance and battery life at the expense of storage space. Essentially, Android 4.3 and older would build and rebuild an app everytime you used it but Android 4.4 and later build the app just once (when you installed it).

BB10 would still run into compatibility problems if they left it at Android 4.4 but using Android apps would at least be less painful and a bit closer to the native app experience.
    06-24-19 02:04 PM
    the dividing line between Android 4.3 and Android 4 4is a game changer. The passport stopped at the former and is relatively perceptibly handicapped by that. That said my wife rocks a Motorola Droid Mini Android 4.4 which operates almost every single app including Banking and security system and Camera visualization and anything else needed... assets and a side I would mention the Motorola Droid Mini Sports a Q I charge receiver as well as a dual GSM Radio operating on Verizon CDMA as on worldwide GSM networks including LTE dot-dot-dot what an amazing device!
    Unfortunately time is hunting ver 4.4 also. I have a xperia x with sailfish running 4.4 very stable and fast. In this winter my banking app, digital Id and public transport ticket app worked flawlessly. At springtime this changed overnight. All apps are now brought up to android 5.0.

Posted via CB10
    06-24-19 03:02 PM
    DUNT tell me Blackberry is going to bring out a run time update to anything beyond the 4.3 because it could be risky to my cardiovascular health at this Advanced age... I will start screaming at the top of my lungs probably audible from my current location in the Deep South to the front steps of blackberry in Waterloo as well as other locations in Waterloo both Canada and Belgium...
    You want me to lie to you?
    06-24-19 03:07 PM
    Unfortunately time is hunting ver 4.4 also. I have a xperia x with sailfish running 4.4 very stable and fast. In this winter my banking app, digital Id and public transport ticket app worked flawlessly. At springtime this changed overnight. All apps are now brought up to android 5.0.
    And that will continue to happen every year (minimum Android versions will be increased). That's the normal lifecycle, and why an OS that isn't actively supported is soon "dead" in that it won't take too long before it won't run apps anymore.
    06-25-19 12:28 AM
    And that will continue to happen every year (minimum Android versions will be increased). That's the normal lifecycle, and why an OS that isn't actively supported is soon "dead" in that it won't take too long before it won't run apps anymore.
    Too be honest... it's shocking that so much still does work with BB10. I'd have expected changes to the server side or apps to have killed much more functionality with apps, than has been so far. But yeah it's not a matter of IF but WHEN.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    06-25-19 03:37 PM
    But yeah it's not a matter of IF but WHEN.
    Dum dum... DUMMMM
    06-25-19 04:35 PM
    Hi
    I'm key2 user, but thinking to go a step "back" to a passport.
    Why? Blackberry OS without android.
    Is there a dual SIM version?
    Are the banking apps running on the passport (sparkasse, comdirect)?
    Is it possible to have a separated workspace, with own contact app, whatsapp business, calendar etc on the passport?

Cheers
    Hey joerg,

Naysayers notwithstanding, it is possible to do many of the things you ask.

You can use an adapter to have a dual-SIM setup with the Passport.

Banking apps are a little touch and go. I will check the ones about which you're concerned if you like, although you can bank through browsers if needed (sometimes alternative ones such as BEOL).

A separated workspace is a little difficult without Blackberry for Work, but you can have different accounts with their own separate Contacts, Calendars, etc.

Let me know if you have any other BB10-related questions--despite some of the posts on this thread and others it can still be used for quite a lot.
    anon(10387168) likes this.
    06-25-19 07:49 PM
    Hey joerg,

Naysayers notwithstanding, it is possible to do many of the things you ask.

You can use an adapter to have a dual-SIM setup with the Passport.

Banking apps are a little touch and go. I will check the ones about which you're concerned if you like, although you can bank through browsers if needed (sometimes alternative ones such as BEOL).

A separated workspace is a little difficult without Blackberry for Work, but you can have different accounts with their own separate Contacts, Calendars, etc.

Let me know if you have any other BB10-related questions--despite some of the posts on this thread and others it can still be used for quite a lot.
    Hi TrumpetTiger
    Checking those apps would be very kind
    The apps are the
    Comdirect banking app
    Comdirect photo tan
    Sparkasse

On my Key2 I created a workspace with an app called Shelter (downloaded from F-Droid)
    Would this also work on the Passport?
    Regards
    06-26-19 01:29 AM
    Hi TrumpetTiger
    Checking those apps would be very kind
    The apps are the
    Comdirect banking app
    Comdirect photo tan
    Sparkasse

On my Key2 I created a workspace with an app called Shelter (downloaded from F-Droid)
    Would this also work on the Passport?
    Regards
    The answer is no to everything on this list.
    06-26-19 03:18 AM
    The answer is no to everything on this list.
    😳
    Thanks for your support.
    06-26-19 03:41 AM
    ������
    Thanks for your support.
    Hello Joerg,

Again, despite the naysayers' usual comments, it is possible to do most of what you suggest.

I will check on the apps you mentioned.

Regarding the workspace and Shelter; Shelter wouldn't work because the Android runtime has no need for Android for Work, which is how Shelter functions. However, it is fairly easy to keep everything separate on Blackberry 10. May I ask what specifically you're trying to achieve with your separate workspace?
    06-26-19 04:37 PM
    😳
    Thanks for your support.
    Hello Joerg,

Again, despite the naysayers' usual comments, it is possible to do most of what you suggest.

Regarding the workspace and Shelter; Shelter wouldn't work because the Android runtime has no need for Android for Work, which is how Shelter functions. However, it is fairly easy to keep everything separate on Blackberry 10. May I ask what specifically you're trying to achieve with your separate workspace?
    06-26-19 04:37 PM
    Hello Joerg,

I want to separate Whatsapp business and a second contact app (syncing with WA Business) because of the European DSGVO.
    Separated from my private WA and contacts.
    And I want to deactivate the work profile after work, so no one can disturb

This works fine on my Key2, but I'm really no friend of Googledroid, and all the spy sevices within.
    Maybe I'm a little paranoid....
    06-26-19 05:07 PM
    I want to separate Whatsapp business and a second contact app (syncing with WA Business) because of the European DSGVO.

This works fine on my Key2, but I'm really no friend of Googledroid, and all the spy sevices within.
    Use Blokada on your KEY². No more trackers or ads.
    06-26-19 05:56 PM
    Use Blokada on your KEY². No more trackers or ads.
    Blokada is running since 6 weeks on my device.
    06-26-19 06:08 PM
    Blokada is running since 6 weeks on my device.
    Nice.
    06-26-19 06:14 PM

Blokada and its effectiveness against Google's trackers or ads notwithstanding, I definitely don't think you're paranoid joerg.

Let me test some things out but I'm pretty sure there's a way to achieve what you're talking about on the Passport. It wouldn't involve a separate profile per se but the effect would be the same. I'll get back to you with results.
    anon(10572925) likes this.
    06-26-19 08:02 PM
    afaik for comdirect and the photo tan app you'd have to have google play installed, which is possible with bb10 (comdirect apks run in-app checks to verify where they are from). have not tested that though, yet

Posted via CB10
    06-27-19 06:56 AM
    ok, latest comdirect apk requires android api level 19+ (android 4.4) anyway, so it doesn't even install :/

Posted via CB10
    06-27-19 06:58 AM
    Banking Apps: Sadly, "No"

That fact is why I bought an iPhone last Sept. 2018.
    ...which I use for that purpose AND for the "Information/News" Apps AND for Twitter, Facebook, Linked-In.

I have 4 Banks in the USA and 3 outside of the USA...none of whose Apps works with my Passport.

I use the Passport now for 5 email accounts in 3 different alphabets; SMS, and of course the cell phone.

I bought the Red Key2 recently. It is still in the box (until I set aside TIME to crack it open and wend my way thru it...maybe this weekend? lol)

Best to all....

Posted via CB10
    anon(10572925) and the_boon like this.
    06-27-19 09:38 PM
    I bought the Red Key2 recently. It is still in the box (until I set aside TIME to crack it open and wend my way thru it...maybe this weekend? lol)

Best to all....

Posted via CB10
    How you have not yet opened up that red KEY2 box is beyond my comprehension lol

Once you do, you'll be wondering why you bothered dual carrying the iPhone and Passport.
    06-28-19 12:44 PM
    I still have not cracked open the RED2...!
    It's sitting next to the new ASUS laptop I bought with the dual screens (usual screen and keypad screen) in its unopened box.

Why?

Because of the learning curve - & getting them both set up the way I want them with the programs, apps, etc.... and purging them of the nonsense installed add ons.

I do not like Office 365 AT ALL - & will install an earlier version for which I still have the CD's in a box (I've already checked with the ASUS techs for the 'OK').

RED2: I have no idea yet what I will do. I have used android devices (Kindle, a temp Samsung); but I will want to drill deeper on the RED, to see what power & potentials it has.

Looking forward....

...writing from San Diego

Posted via CB10
    07-04-19 12:38 AM
    It's sitting next to the new ASUS laptop I bought with the dual screens (usual screen and keypad screen) in its unopened box.

Why?

Because of the learning curve - & getting them both set up the way I want them with the programs, apps, etc.... and purging them of the nonsense installed add ons.

I do not like Office 365 AT ALL - & will install an earlier version for which I still have the CD's in a box (I've already checked with the ASUS techs for the 'OK').

RED2: I have no idea yet what I will do. I have used android devices (Kindle, a temp Samsung); but I will want to drill deeper on the RED, to see what power & potentials it has.

Looking forward....

Posted via CB10
    If you ever feel that you won't be needing it (Red KEY2), there are definitely a few here who would buy it in an instant!
    07-04-19 08:14 AM

Why?

Looking forward....

Posted via CB10
    Key 3 may be out before you get round to this lol

Posted via CB10 using my Classic running 10.3.3.3216
    07-04-19 08:25 AM
49 12