Hi all,

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good, reliable external battery charger for the Passport SE? I wanted to buy one for travel purposes. I've never bought one before, so I wanted to get feedback on one that would be both powerful and safe for the Passport SE -- especially one that won't overheat or ruin/destroy the Passport SE's internal battery in any way.

Thanks in advance for your help!
    06-06-16 03:13 PM
    Any of them, just make sure it outputs at a good amount.

Posted via a Priv on an 6.0 Mushroom
    LG8 likes this.
    06-06-16 04:25 PM
    aukey is a good brand

AUKEY

they make a lot of good stuff
    LG8 likes this.
    06-06-16 04:25 PM
    voltaic systems is a good brand

Voltaic Systems

LG8 likes this.
    06-06-16 04:26 PM
    BlackBerry is a good brand

BlackBerry MP-12600 High Capacity Mobile Charger (Battery Pack) | BlackBerry Batteries | CrackBerry Canada (buy 2 or 3 of these if they are ever back in stock)

LG8 likes this.
    06-06-16 04:33 PM
    aukey is a good brand

AUKEY

voltaic systems is a good brand

Voltaic Systems

BlackBerry MP-12600 High Capacity Mobile Charger (Battery Pack) | BlackBerry Batteries | CrackBerry Canada (buy 2 or 3 of these if they are ever back in stock)

Wow, thanks for all of the links. They look like good options. Do you own any of these, by any chance? It would be great to hear about your experiences with these products, if any.

A friend of mine suggested going with cheaper options on Amazon, but I'm wondering if the cheaper prices also equate to worse quality...
    06-06-16 04:49 PM
    Any of them, just make sure it outputs at a good amount.

Posted via a Priv on an 6.0 Mushroom
    Thanks for the tip. How do I make sure the output is a good amount for my Passport SE?
    06-06-16 04:50 PM
    i use products from voltaic systems and plan to purchase products from aukey in the future

i use the voltaic array and plan to get the arc 20W folding panels

the array works great for me because it goes far above what i require to charge the few gadgets i carry along with my priv

- several smartphone charges from voltaic battery (20,000mah)
    - 1.5 hours in the sun to charge smartphone
    - 7 hours of smartphone usage from 1 hour in the sun

i chose the array because it provides way more than what i require due to how i use my priv and not a laptop - the system is meant to charge laptops, which means it acts as a "quick charge" device for my priv (which is my main computer of choice) and, no, it does not make my priv hot nor does it wreck the priv battery)

i can zip the solar panels off the backpack and place them in a window in my house that receives sun light all day / every day (unless it's cloudy, but of course that is why it has the high capacity universal battery to store enough power to charge the priv many times over, with or without sunlight)

i choose to ride a bicycle instead of drive a vehicle, so the bag gets sunlight all the time as i ride around my city - then, if it rains, i simply cover the back with a north face water proof cover to keep the system totally dry
    Last edited by blackberryroughrider; 06-06-16 at 05:55 PM.
    LG8 and elfabio80 like this.
    06-06-16 05:34 PM
    well, cheap is just that, cheap

when i feel i need something and i can afford it - i never consider the price (that's why i own a priv, LOL)

when it comes to my smartphones and the peripherals that encompass them, i never go cheap - because it's too important to me to go cheap
    LG8 likes this.
    06-06-16 05:49 PM
    for you, replace "priv" with "passport se" in my replies - works the same
    06-06-16 05:56 PM
    i use products from voltaic systems and plan to purchase products from aukey in the future

i use the voltaic array and plan to get the arc 20W folding panels

the array works great for me because it goes far above what i require to charge the few gadgets i carry along with my priv

- several smartphone charges from voltaic battery (20,000mah)
    - 1.5 hours in the sun to charge smartphone
    - 7 hours of smartphone usage from 1 hour in the sun

i chose the array because it provides way more than what i require due to how i use my priv and not a laptop - the system is meant to charge laptops, which means it acts as a "quick charge" device for my priv (which is my main computer of choice) and, no, it does not make my priv hot nor does it wreck the priv battery)

i can zip the solar panels off the backpack and place them in a window in my house that receives sun light all day / every day (unless it's cloudy, but of course that is why it has the high capacity universal battery to store enough power to charge the priv many times over, with or without sunlight)

i choose to ride a bicycle instead of drive a vehicle, so the bag gets sunlight all the time as i ride around my city - then, if it rains, i simply cover the back with a north face water proof cover to keep the system totally dry
    well, cheap is just that, cheap

when i feel i need something and i can afford it - i never consider the price (that's why i own a priv, LOL)

when it comes to my smartphones and the peripherals that encompass them, i never go cheap - because it's too important to me to go cheap
    Thanks for the detailed feedback! I have to agree -- I'd rather go with something tried and true and reliable, even if it is more expensive, especially with regards to my smartphone and other similarly expensive devices. I'll definitely take a good look at Voltaic and Aukey, before considering anything else. Thanks again.
    06-06-16 06:28 PM
    Blackberry Travel charger, has 4 different mains adaptors. Output is 2a, charges my passport faster than the stock charger. It also has a 2m cable. I got mine from ebay for $10, the one with the yellow USB plug.

Posted via CB10
    06-07-16 02:59 AM
    Scrap that I just saw the battery bit, oops

Posted via CB10
    06-07-16 03:01 AM
    Hi all,

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good, reliable external battery charger for the Passport SE? I wanted to buy one for travel purposes. I've never bought one before, so I wanted to get feedback on one that would be both powerful and safe for the Passport SE -- especially one that won't overheat or ruin/destroy the Passport SE's internal battery in any way.

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Amazon, buy a solar one. Their good and will save you on needing to be near a power source. Sunlight power is better

No Shade Just Light!!! Z30 10.3.2.2639
    LG8 likes this.
    06-07-16 08:31 AM
    Scrap that I just saw the battery bit, oops

Posted via CB10
    No problem -- thanks for trying to help me, though.

Amazon, buy a solar one. Their good and will save you on needing to be near a power source. Sunlight power is better

No Shade Just Light!!! Z30 10.3.2.2639
    Thanks for the tip. I'm seriously considering one of those at the moment...

Aside from the solar option, I really wish that the original Blackberry power pack was in stock. Looks like it would be a good one to have. I wonder -- are they ever going to restock it?
    06-08-16 01:47 AM
    happy to help OP and i hope you are able to find solutions that meet your needs just as i have found solutions to meet my needs

i take my mobile computing capabilities quite seriously. therefore, i seek out quality accessories for all my latest BlackBerry devices and then find that my experiences with said products makes it easy to recommend particular brands to others

i believe in the products i research to purchase, i believe in finding quality brands, and i believe being loyal to particular brands is important (like a relationship), most likely because it makes life much easier to know what i want than to be guessing - which in turn allows me to help people who need answers

not everybody has the time to to the research these things because they have other passions and busy lives, so there exists a place like CrackBerry where somebody like me can freely communicate with somebody else and hopefully provide quality information that actually assists

i also try to choose the least of the evils (if you will) when it comes to brands i support and i like underdogs too. BlackBerry for example

have a great day and happy accessory hunting! take care
    06-08-16 03:26 PM
    BlackBerry should make an accessory for the Priv and, obviously, the upcoming 2 new BlackBerry Android handsets, that is near exactly like the MP-12600 product, but with the Priv battery inside of it

i say that because i doubt BlackBerry will have any more of that accessory as it was designed for the Z30, which i believe is no longer being built
    06-08-16 03:32 PM
    you probably already went and checked it out, but here is a link to the breakdown of the products Voltaic Systems considers proper for smartphones

Shop Gear
    06-08-16 03:38 PM
    Very useful information in this thread, thanks for those who contributed.

May I add another question: what external battery is the most convenient to use in hand together with Passport? For those emergency cases when you have no time to put your phone down and wait for recharge. Something slim but with good amperage/weight ratio.
    I'd be happy to use Blackberry chargers but MP-12600 is too bulky for that while MP-2100's cable is too short to reach Passport's USB port in convenient way. I currently use Battery Charger Bundle left from my Q10 but it has the same problem as MP-2100.
    09-11-16 12:25 PM