She's done her review people....comment below on what you think about her review!

Posted via CB10
    naveedk and marzfreerider like this.
    01-20-15 05:27 PM
    Good, unbiased, and honest review. She isn't bashing it, and neither is she singing odes to the heavens about it. It's refreshing to see a reviewer not forcing her opinions down viewers' throats.

Posted via CB10 on an AWESOME Passport
    Gadgetgirl38 and mastar97 like this.
    01-20-15 06:11 PM
    It's a neutral to positive review, but it's a review from the perspective of someone who should just buy an android phone. I don't think it's such a useful review for BlackBerry's target customers.

For instance, she's heavily invested in Google apps and services and is upfront about this. Thus, a good chunk of the review is given over to the backflips required to get Google services working properly (it's possible in the end, apparently). For some of us though, being outside the reach of Google's tentacles is a feature, not a challenge to be overcome. I'm not going to put my corporate docs on Google's servers. I'm not going to use Google Hangouts. I will use WebEx or Lync. I also like the fact that Google is not in my pocket and following me around.

Second, given her job, she's heavily invested in social media. Which brings up an important point to keep in mind about Passport or Blackberry review in general: This phone is not a media focused device, but it's being heavily judged by media types based on standards important to them. Snapchat, Twitter, Instagram, Youtube, etc... these are essential parts of their daily lives, so they give these an importance that the average user (especially business) doesn't share. They just can't help themselves.

More telling is the awesome Passport features which were left out:

1. The amazing search functionality. I loaded up my passport with 6GB of emails from the last ten years and literally in seconds I can locate an obscure email from someone from five years ago. It works so well that even when sitting in front of my high powered laptop, it's often quicker to reach for the Passport to locate an email or contact.

2. Encryption. I'm sure you can set up encryption on Android and iOS devices, but BB 10 has it baked in. You just need to flip some switches and you are set. I'm comfortable enough to load up semi-sensitive documents on the device and access them on the go in ways I was not with iOS or Android.

3. The screen is great for reading PDFs and other long form documents. I can peruse PDFs from Nature Biotechnology fairly easily and also edit and sign documents.

4. Blend is pretty cool. Typing out emails on the Macbook during a flight and then turning on the Passport and having them all sent before I even exit the aircraft is quite nice.

These are just a few features which tend to get overlooked in the typical Blackberry review.

I think she gave a great review for someone with her use-case in mind. It's just not so relevant to other use-cases for which the Passport was designed.

By the way, I'm new to Blackberry, and as you might tell, I'm really loving the phone and platform. It's a shame it frequently gets judged by how well it posts photos to Instagram.
    01-20-15 06:56 PM
    She's got the gestures wrong for Peek. You don't have to reach all the way over to the left edge to peek into the Hub.

Aside from that she obviously liked the phone, and I agree with her points pretty much.
    01-20-15 07:07 PM
    She's got the gestures wrong for Peek. You don't have to reach all the way over to the left edge to peek into the Hub.

Aside from that she obviously liked the phone, and I agree with her points pretty much.
    True.

Even with a short thumb you can definitely "peek"... but all you have to do is just swipe to the right until you get to the hub. Or use the shortcut that came back. Lol
    01-20-15 07:22 PM
    It's a neutral to positive review, but it's a review from the perspective of someone who should just buy an android phone. I don't think it's such a useful review for BlackBerry's target customers.

For instance, she's heavily invested in Google apps and services and is upfront about this. Thus, a good chunk of the review is given over to the backflips required to get Google services working properly (it's possible in the end, apparently). For some of us though, being outside the reach of Google's tentacles is a feature, not a challenge to be overcome. I'm not going to put my corporate docs on Google's servers. I'm not going to use Google Hangouts. I will use WebEx or Lync. I also like the fact that Google is not in my pocket and following me around.

Second, given her job, she's heavily invested in social media. Which brings up an important point to keep in mind about Passport or Blackberry review in general: This phone is not a media focused device, but it's being heavily judged by media types based on standards important to them. Snapchat, Twitter, Instagram, Youtube, etc... these are essential parts of their daily lives, so they give these an importance that the average user (especially business) doesn't share. They just can't help themselves.

More telling is the awesome Passport features which were left out:

1. The amazing search functionality. I loaded up my passport with 6GB of emails from the last ten years and literally in seconds I can locate an obscure email from someone from five years ago. It works so well that even when sitting in front of my high powered laptop, it's often quicker to reach for the Passport to locate an email or contact.

2. Encryption. I'm sure you can set up encryption on Android and iOS devices, but BB 10 has it baked in. You just need to flip some switches and you are set. I'm comfortable enough to load up semi-sensitive documents on the device and access them on the go in ways I was not with iOS or Android.

3. The screen is great for reading PDFs and other long form documents. I can peruse PDFs from Nature Biotechnology fairly easily and also edit and sign documents.

4. Blend is pretty cool. Typing out emails on the Macbook during a flight and then turning on the Passport and having them all sent before I even exit the aircraft is quite nice.

These are just a few features which tend to get overlooked in the typical Blackberry review.

I think she gave a great review for someone with her use-case in mind. It's just not so relevant to other use-cases for which the Passport was designed.

By the way, I'm new to Blackberry, and as you might tell, I'm really loving the phone and platform. It's a shame it frequently gets judged by how well it posts photos to Instagram.
    ++ yes, and don't let me start on how I use the passport as my multitasking laptop doing my real work
    1) editing and writing papers,
    2) doing 1-2 hour long slides presentations several times per week,
    3) writing and reading more than 90% of all of my business and private emails,
    as well as streaming live TV across continents.
    01-20-15 09:29 PM
    ++ yes, and don't let me start on how I use the passport as my multitasking laptop doing my real work
    1) editing and writing papers,
    2) doing 1-2 hour long slides presentations several times per week,
    3) writing and reading more than 90% of all of my business and private emails,
    as well as streaming live TV across continents.
    I'm interested in the live streaming tv.....don't keep that secret!!

Posted via CB10
    EsJayDee likes this.
    01-20-15 10:38 PM
    I think you all are right. This is an android fan girl reviewing a blackberry. She was fair in her assessments but she was never going to go into the cool details of the Passport.

Posted via CB10
    01-20-15 10:39 PM
    Her reviews are always pretty unbiased and when researching a phone I usually look to see if she has made a video of it 1st. Her videos are usually quite a bit longer than her PP review. Some of her phone reviews are an hour +..

I think she nailed the pluses and minuses of the PP. I wish she had spent more time with it than a week or so and I wish her review was longer. She nailed the good and bad parts of the PP in my opinion.

The camera is garbage and some media viewing on it is odd and frustrating. Not everyone wants to carry 2 devices, One for work and one for play. Me? I want one device and that's it. The PP excels and demolishes everything else for real work but it lacks or falls behind for personal usage. If they fix the camera and find a better way to scale media to the 1x1 screen then they might just have a homerun on their hands..

My .02
    01-21-15 12:39 PM
    It is as good as you are going to get from a non-BB die-hard and is a good dose of reality. Camera software does need to be better and the app issues will always be there until that changes.
    01-21-15 01:10 PM
    I'm interested in the live streaming tv.....don't keep that secret!!

Posted via CB10

Try, for example, www.livestation.com and you can watch most TV news channels live from anywhere in the world. You can do so while doing other activities on your passport, like the ones mentioned above.

Some of these English language channels at live station are not allowed in US (OK elsewhere) because of broadcast rights restrictions. But there are many non-English language TV stations that stream live, unrestricted, all over the world, including the US. All you need is flash activated in your browser, and desktop mode.

After all, the Passport is a computer that also happens to make and receive calls.
    That's how I use it. I don't talk much. I use email mostly to communicate, or video calls through BBM.
    I use the Passport as my daily driver computer. Only use my work computer for real design work and the laptop stays mostly unused, at home.
    I don't use BLEND. If I need a bigger screen to look at my files on my passport, I use an external TV monitor. I have 160 Gbytes of memory on my Passport. I keep all the data I need on it. I do not need to store it and sync it elsewhere.
    If I need some files transferred to and from my work computer, ghost commander and sftp are good enough.
    All that's missing is ssh with X11 forwarding.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-15 01:51 PM
    livestation seems to require flash. Not working on my PP.
    01-21-15 01:57 PM
    livestation seems to require flash. Not working on my PP.
    Yes. You must be running the 10.3.1 leak. It works on my passport with 10.3.0, on my Z30 and PlayBook or Linux laptop.
    For android and iphones, there is a free live station app but it did not work on my Passport.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-15 02:02 PM
    "Second, given her job, she's heavily invested in social media. Which brings up an important point to keep in mind about Passport or Blackberry review in general: This phone is not a media focused device, but it's being heavily judged by media types based on standards important to them. Snapchat, Twitter, Instagram, Youtube, etc... these are essential parts of their daily lives, so they give these an importance that the average user (especially business) doesn't share. They just can't help themselves." I don't quit understand this point, since BlackBerry comes pre-loaded with twitter, foursquare, facebook and linkedin.. So, why can't it be a "media focus" device? Additionally, I consider myself a "business" user yet I am also social media focused. I don't belive a business user and social media focused device are mutually exclusive.
    djtim likes this.
    01-21-15 02:23 PM
    "Second, given her job, she's heavily invested in social media. Which brings up an important point to keep in mind about Passport or Blackberry review in general: This phone is not a media focused device, but it's being heavily judged by media types based on standards important to them. Snapchat, Twitter, Instagram, Youtube, etc... these are essential parts of their daily lives, so they give these an importance that the average user (especially business) doesn't share. They just can't help themselves." I don't quit understand this point, since BlackBerry comes pre-loaded with twitter, foursquare, facebook and linkedin.. So, why can't it be a "media focus" device? Additionally, I consider myself a "business" user yet I am also social media focused. I don't belive a business user and social media focused device are mutually exclusive.
    D.Downs - Didn't mean to imply they are mutually exclusive. In my experience, the large majority of people don't use these services in the regular course of their job, that's all.
    01-21-15 06:24 PM