Reading through this thread has taught me I really need to go home and rethink my life. Personal responsibility is a new concept, one that I haven't given proper due. I am ashamed.

Here's another example to demonstrate what a total dummy dumb-dumbs I am:

If I accidentally click the wrong trash can icon in the Hub when cruising through a bunch of items to delete (I know, dumby-dumb again!), and then foolishly and reflexively hit the confirm delete button when the dialog pops up, it permanently deletes the item. I had to email a client once to ask him to resend a email. Granted, it's startling I have gainful employment, but I wish Blackberry could have an option to set up its UI to cater to its lowest common denominator. You know, an option to move deleted items to a trash or recycle bin first before obliterating it permanently. Like Outlook, Gmail, Thunderbird, Pine, Mutt, or any messaging client has done over the last twenty years. (You can do something like this, I think, idk, my head hurts, for email messages, but not SMS apparently). I get so confused by the Hub and how it mixes all the email, tweets and SMS together and I have to keep track of all the different behaviors while in the back of a taxi giving the driver directions. I know many of you in this thread are deliberate people and don't make these sorts of mistakes, but I am just trying to get by in life and need all the help I can get.
    You can always choose to either delete emails from the hub only or both hub and server. This way even if you deleted an email accidentally you can still find in you inbox.

Hope that helps a bit!

Posted via CB10
    zombiecupcake and fkornre like this.
    04-02-15 02:59 AM
    Maybe. Possibly. I don't know the OP's motives or expertise....
    It's true however that deleting what appears to be an individual SMS message in the Hub, it ends the chat and deletes the entire conversation.
    I could be mistaken but I thought that was the OPs scenario. No? I'm open to being wrong at 2:30 am

Posted via CB10
    Yes, you can delete individual messages. Text messages don't show up as part of the conversation thread until they have been sent though, so you can't actually long-press on a message that is still in draft status. The hub also shows a draft icon next to items which have not been sent, so it's very easy to see. I think it just comes down to OP misunderstanding the function of the hub, which is to display the most recent message in any particular thread. Tapping on that message brings up the whole thread. The logic behind the functioning of Hub actions versus message actions seems logical to me.

At the same time, I feel for OP - I guess we've all done that, and ended up deleting things we didn't intend to delete. All it takes is a lack of familiarity with the system, and a momentary lapse. A hard lesson, but one well-learned.
    04-02-15 03:27 AM
    Yeah there should be a warning that it will also delete and can't be undone.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-15 04:20 AM
    Yeah there should be a warning that it will also delete and can't be undone.

Posted via CB10
    There is!

Posted via CB10
    miker476 and andy957 like this.
    04-02-15 04:54 AM
    "End Chat' permanently deletes all messages. WTF!-img_20150402_115427.png

It clearly warns me...
    It says that all mesages in that chat will be deleted

Posted via CB10
    04-02-15 04:55 AM
    it does what it says...
    04-02-15 05:24 AM
    You also have the option of not using fast delete in the hub (although with fast delete you still get an undo message popping up for a few secs), you can still long press on each individual entry and choose delete

Secondly, I don't use the hub view that shows all of my accounts together, instead I switch between them by clicking the icon on the bottom left of the hub.

Lastly I never really cared about keeping my sms, but I would say everyone has been in a situation with their phone no matter what make it is where we have lost something important, It suckssss.. I am sure once you get the hang of BB10 you will love it.

Don't forget you can also use Blend on your PC or tablet to view your sms and emails and delete etc.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-15 05:26 AM
    I didn't long press the 'thread'. I long pressed a SINGLE message showing up in the Hub, just like when deleting a single email.

This is really crap UI. Someone should be shot.
    the hub will show you the latest text message that has been sent or recieved preview... but represents the entire thread itself... you have to open the SMS thread itself and delete the individual message. your thinking of the old BBOS days where messages were sent individually and actually appeared individually in the messages app... its now in conversation style (and has been even from updates in bbos) so ur one conversation with that person shows as one message... opening it will bring up the entire thread... so it makes that deleting it from the hub will delete the entire thread.
    04-02-15 06:24 AM
    My condolences OP, it sucks whenever you permanently lose something that meant a lot to you. I feel your pain.

I agree with the OP that they could make BB10 more user-friendly by offering an Undelete option when you 'End chat' just like when you delete other hub items.

The 'End chat' dialogue should be reworded to 'Delete SMS conversation with [Full name here]' to make it more clear.

This thread reminded me to launch Backup Pro immediately and backup all my pics just in case something happens to my lovely Passport. :-)

Posted via CB10
    andy957 likes this.
    04-02-15 06:35 AM
    Whilst I agree, an undo option should be there for a short time, you clearly didn't read the message. It clearly and unambiguously tells you what confirming does... I think sadly your failure here is not reading the message properly.

You remind me of customers complaining that important emails are gone, when enquiring you discover they were 'stored' in Deleted Items and consider it an outrage they're occasionally cleared.

Posted via CB10
    Bingo!

Posted via CB10
    NYTOC83 likes this.
    04-02-15 07:05 AM
    So, I had a half finished text message that I had started to compose but never finished.Later I selected this text in the Hub by long pressing on the message. This brought up the 'Delete' option. My intention was just to delete this message, not all of the text messages I had ever had with this person.

I selected delete. A dialog pops up asking me to confirm. Of course, thinking this is just like the normal 'confirm' when deleting a single email message, I quickly hit the confirm button.

It's actually not. It asking to confirm deleting All MESSAGES from this person from time immemorial. If that is not bad enough, I quickly realized my mistake but there is no additional dialog popping up for a few seconds allowing one to undo the delete like it does when deleting an email.

I just deleted six months worth of text messages and there is no way of getting them back.

This is inexcusable. Blackberry is a the bottom of the heap in the smartphones war and deleting all text messages should not be so easy, especially for a company that claims to be focused on communications. Maybe I am missing something here, but I googled, and I'm pretty sure I am not.

I am super pissed.
    This is called security!!! Why don't you carry a gun when you don't know to operate?

With diplomatic Passport
    NYTOC83 likes this.
    04-02-15 07:07 AM
    I certainly don't want them to change it. It works great as designed for my workflow.

Bottom line is you know now and it won't happen again.

I've blindly clicked "ok" on many a dialog box in my day that led to unintended (but predictable) results - but I have no one to blame but myself.

BTW, if text message history is so critical to you, you should get the Ultimate Backup app (or other similar apps) from BBW. You can have it backup your messages regularly to your cloud accounts or SD card.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.281
    Exactly! If it's even moldy desirable to retain...BACK IT UP, back up or shut up, I say.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-15 07:10 AM
    OP, I feel your pain. I too learned the hard way. Luckily the messages weren't critical, but I still wanted to be able to refer back to them. It caused me to thoroughly research how BB10 works and also led me to purchasing SMS Backup By Epic Windmill. It cost $1.99 and is well worth it.

https://appworld.blackberry.com/webs...countrycode=US
    04-02-15 07:15 AM
    Reading through this thread has taught me I really need to go home and rethink my life. Personal responsibility is a new concept, one that I haven't given proper due. I am ashamed.

If I accidentally click the wrong trash can icon in the Hub when cruising through a bunch of items to delete (I know, dumby-dumb again!), and then foolishly and reflexively hit the confirm delete button when the dialog pops up, it permanently deletes the item. I had to email a client once to ask him to resend a email. Granted, it's startling I have gainful employment, but I wish Blackberry could have an option to set up its UI to cater to its lowest common denominator. You know, an option to move deleted items to a trash or recycle bin first before obliterating it permanently. Like Outlook, Gmail, Thunderbird, Pine, Mutt, or any messaging client has done over the last twenty years. (You can do something like this, I think, idk, my head hurts, for email messages, but not SMS apparently). I get so confused by the Hub and how it mixes all the email, tweets and SMS together and I have to keep track of all the different behaviors while in the back of a taxi giving the driver directions. I know many of you in this thread are deliberate people and don't make these sorts of mistakes, but I am just trying to get by in life and need all the help I can get.
    Treo - what device did you have before BlackBerry and how long have you had your BlackBerry?

Posted via CB10
    04-02-15 07:17 AM
    SMS is seen as a thread much like a forums post like this. Top line 'End Chat' is as you figured out the deletion of the entire thread. You can delete stuff within the thread, just not from the hub, but within the thread itself.

I tested this just a moment ago. You open up the sms thread in question, select some text from the particular line, the right side menu apears, click the trash can, it will warn you that 'This will delete the selected message' and poof. Gone.

Sorry you lost your sms thread, but there is a way to delete just bits of it.
    04-02-15 07:58 AM
    Iif you long press the message you want to delete, a menu appears on the right side, should be a delete message only option

Yup. Just did it as a test

Posted via CB10
    04-02-15 08:05 AM
    Fine, I'll tone it down, but this really is bad choice on Blackbery's part.
    Send resume to [email protected], attention: User Experience department
    zombiecupcake likes this.
    04-02-15 08:15 AM
    Maybe. Possibly. I don't know the OP's motives or expertise....
    It's true however that deleting what appears to be an individual SMS message in the Hub, it ends the chat and deletes the entire conversation.
    I could be mistaken but I thought that was the OPs scenario. No? I'm open to being wrong at 2:30 am

Posted via CB10
    That is OP's situation, but you were saying that BB intentionally made it so you cannot only delete individual messages, but you can, you just have to open the conversation, and long press on the individual message and choose delete.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    04-02-15 09:24 AM
    "End Chat' permanently deletes all messages.

Makes perfect since to me. Isn't that what "End Chat" means? It's a chat, after all.

Sorry you lost your stuff, but that is what backups are for. Personally, chats are nothing I have any interest in saving. If there is something important, like a picture or fact, that I need to take note of or save I will.
    04-02-15 09:30 AM
    Well, you're sure right about that. There is nothing I can do to get the messages back.

Maybe complaining will get the Blackberry UI designers attention and they will change the behavior and realize that newish users will reasonably think about how things work.

(Please, please explain to me why they couldn't have at least had the 'Undo' dialog pop for a few seconds like when deleting a single email. It seems like deleting an ENTIRE six months worth of messages would have at least as many safeguards as deleting a single email.)
    The UI actually told you that it would delete all messages. They did it right. You did it wrong by not reading. Give it up.
    lpthomasson likes this.
    04-02-15 09:56 AM
    So, are only old Blackberry users supposed to use newer Blackberry devices?
    Got nothing to do with old and new users. When a message pops up, read it. Simple really.

BLΛCKBΣЯЯY ⓟⓐⓢⓢⓟⓞⓡⓣ
    Bluenoser63 and lpthomasson like this.
    04-02-15 10:04 AM
    ...What the hell?
    04-02-15 10:13 AM

Any email you delete is sent to the 'trash bin 'of your email provider. You're really not the sharpest tool in the shed huh...
    NYTOC83 likes this.
    04-02-15 10:18 AM
    This is called security!!! Why don't you carry a gun when you don't know to operate?

With diplomatic Passport
    I cried laughing at this.. but then I stopped... and thought about the consequences of those around him... O_o
    04-02-15 10:36 AM
    @OP,

did you set your bbm to save chat history under bbm settings? if you didnt then you cant blame the OS or UI
    04-02-15 10:50 AM
274 12345 ...