I selected delete. A dialog pops up asking me to confirm. Of course, thinking this is just like the normal 'confirm' when deleting a single email message, I quickly hit the confirm button.

It's actually not. It asking to confirm deleting All MESSAGES from this person from time immemorial. If that is not bad enough, I quickly realized my mistake but there is no additional dialog popping up for a few seconds allowing one to undo the delete like it does when deleting an email.

I just deleted six months worth of text messages and there is no way of getting them back.
    Whilst I agree, an undo option should be there for a short time, you clearly didn't read the message. It clearly and unambiguously tells you what confirming does... I think sadly your failure here is not reading the message properly.

You remind me of customers complaining that important emails are gone, when enquiring you discover they were 'stored' in Deleted Items and consider it an outrage they're occasionally cleared.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-15 03:25 PM
    Lol OP ****ed up and is mad.
    04-01-15 03:31 PM
    Fine, I'll tone it down, but this really is bad choice on Blackbery's part.
    I certainly don't want them to change it. It works great as designed for my workflow.

Bottom line is you know now and it won't happen again.

I've blindly clicked "ok" on many a dialog box in my day that led to unintended (but predictable) results - but I have no one to blame but myself.

BTW, if text message history is so critical to you, you should get the Ultimate Backup app (or other similar apps) from BBW. You can have it backup your messages regularly to your cloud accounts or SD card.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.281
    04-01-15 03:31 PM
    Whilst I agree, an undo option should be there for a short time, you clearly didn't read the message. It clearly and unambiguously tells you what confirming does... I think sadly your failure here is not reading the message properly.

You remind me of customers complaining that important emails are gone, when enquiring you discover they were 'stored' in Deleted Items and consider it an outrage they're occasionally cleared.

Posted via CB10
    This is hilarious and true
    04-01-15 03:33 PM
    I highly recommend a backup or forwarding app for SMS. I us SMS to Email Pro, and every time I send or receive a text it forwards it to my email address. I filter those emails to another folder, and so now have all of my SMS and MMS backed upon in my email. That way I can lose them (say, with a phone wipe or what not) without any fear.
    southlander likes this.
    04-01-15 03:40 PM
    We live in a society where it's never MY FAULT. It's always SOMEONE ELSE'S FAULT.
    04-01-15 04:59 PM
    We live in a society where it's never MY FAULT. It's always SOMEONE ELSE'S FAULT.
    At least he does.

Anw, when you press the message in the hub it will open up the conversation. If it was only a line of message then in the hub there would be a bazillion of those right?

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport - 10.3.1.2576
    04-01-15 05:45 PM
    Someone should be shot?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Simmer down.... lol. What was so important that you can't just ask them to send again?

Posted via CB10
    04-01-15 05:56 PM
    The only person to blame here is yourself.

If you select that single text message in the HUB it opens up the whole string of texts. Logically, selecting to delete that same text message in the HUB deletes the whole string of texts. What would possibly make you think it works any other way? You had a momentary lapse of thought, which you apparently quickly realized, and you are blaming your phone for that. That is, unless you honestly believe that selecting delete would have deleted the last message, one by one.
    04-01-15 06:06 PM
    The only person to blame here is yourself.

If you select that single text message in the HUB it opens up the whole string of texts. Logically, selecting to delete that same text message in the HUB deletes the whole string of texts. What would possibly make you think it works any other way? You had a momentary lapse of thought, which you apparently quickly realized, and you are blaming your phone for that. That is, unless you honestly believe that selecting delete would have deleted the last message, one by one.

That apparently is exactly how he thought it should work. If the OP actually read the prompt, he would have known it would delete the entire conversation. End chat means just that, delete the thread, not delete a single message.

Again we live in a "It's always someone else's fault, and not mine" society now a days. People like this are exactly why we live in this type of society.

"It's not my fault BlackBerry decided to run their UI this way(even though it states right on the prompt what its going to do), it should be done this way!! And if its not, someone should be shot/fired/layed off, etc, etc."
    bodjor, lpthomasson and andy957 like this.
    04-01-15 06:25 PM
    Yeah, OP just messed up on this one. Everyone else gets it and is ok with it.

Honestly, I don't get people's fascination with saving their SMSs, if you ask me that's junk data just piling up.

If I desperately need a message, I will screenshot it and back it up somewhere, but that never happens because official communications are done via email.

And official communications are the only ones I would need to save.

Now I understand there may be something special or private sent via text someone would want to keep... so back it up somehow.

If you switch phones later it will be lost anyway.

Posted via CB10
    miker476, R7abb and gvs1341 like this.
    04-01-15 06:56 PM
    Staggering stuff. Only had a passport a few months, and is my first BlackBerry device. And even I figured it completely logical to assume that the hub contains the entire thread per person and not just the most recent message.

Nobody else complaining about it seems to suggest BlackBerry are right in their design of the OS.

Edit - it even says when you try to do it that 'all messages in this thread will be deleted'! In no way at all is anyone to blame but yourself.
    FrankIAm and Dave Bourque like this.
    04-01-15 07:09 PM
    New to Blackberry and makes perfect sense to me. Warning message is crystal clear. Blackberry is correct.
    04-01-15 07:42 PM
    April fools?
    04-01-15 10:01 PM
    Simmer down.... lol. What was so important that you can't just ask them to send again?

Posted via CB10
    I don't think I'm the one requiring a simmer down but I appreciate your interesting perspective.
    04-01-15 10:02 PM
    Reading through this thread has taught me I really need to go home and rethink my life. Personal responsibility is a new concept, one that I haven't given proper due. I am ashamed.

Here's another example to demonstrate what a total dummy dumb-dumbs I am:

If I accidentally click the wrong trash can icon in the Hub when cruising through a bunch of items to delete (I know, dumby-dumb again!), and then foolishly and reflexively hit the confirm delete button when the dialog pops up, it permanently deletes the item. I had to email a client once to ask him to resend a email. Granted, it's startling I have gainful employment, but I wish Blackberry could have an option to set up its UI to cater to its lowest common denominator. You know, an option to move deleted items to a trash or recycle bin first before obliterating it permanently. Like Outlook, Gmail, Thunderbird, Pine, Mutt, or any messaging client has done over the last twenty years. (You can do something like this, I think, idk, my head hurts, for email messages, but not SMS apparently). I get so confused by the Hub and how it mixes all the email, tweets and SMS together and I have to keep track of all the different behaviors while in the back of a taxi giving the driver directions. I know many of you in this thread are deliberate people and don't make these sorts of mistakes, but I am just trying to get by in life and need all the help I can get.
    Last edited by Tim_treo; 04-01-15 at 10:24 PM.
    greenberry666 likes this.
    04-01-15 10:13 PM
    It could say something more descriptive than "End Chat," although the details in the dialogue box are clear. I remember the first time I saw the dialogue box and I did a double take. WTF? "End chat" doesn't just mean close the conversation for now? Fortunately, I didn't let the meat make the decision, but I can see how the involuntary reflexive next step would be "okay".

"Delete Conversation" might be clearer.
    greenberry666 and andy957 like this.
    04-01-15 10:20 PM
    Reading through this thread has taught me I really need to go home and rethink my life. Personal responsibility is a new concept, one that I haven't given proper due. I am ashamed.

If I accidentally click the wrong trash can icon in the Hub when cruising through a bunch of items to delete (I know, dumby-dumb again!), and then foolishly and reflexively hit the confirm delete button when the dialog pops up, it permanently deletes the item. I had to email a client once to ask him to resend a email. Granted, it's startling I have gainful employment, but I wish Blackberry could have an option to set up its UI to cater to its lowest common denominator. You know, an option to move deleted items to a trash or recycle bin first before obliterating it permanently. Like Outlook, Gmail, Thunderbird, Pine, Mutt, or any messaging client has done over the last twenty years. (You can do something like this, I think, idk, my head hurts, for email messages, but not SMS apparently). I get so confused by the Hub and how it mixes all the email, tweets and SMS together and I have to keep track of all the different behaviors while in the back of a taxi giving the driver directions. I know many of you in this thread are deliberate people and don't make these sorts of mistakes, but I am just trying to get by in life and need all the help I can get.
    You're right, they don't cater to the lowest common denominator. Sure you wouldn't be happier with another platform? So you can manually go into each app and do separate things?

All joking aside that actually might be better if you find yourself confused by the hub. I think it's a fantastic tool and I don't get confused at all, but if you do, honestly consider a change.

There is no point deleting stuff, accidentally or otherwise that you want to keep, because the UI isn't working out for you.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-15 10:42 PM
    Nothing to be mad about. The OS clearly warns you that all messages will be gone

Posted via CB10
    tufcustomer likes this.
    04-01-15 11:10 PM

Doesn't sound like a bad idea. Maybe more options like delete all items past a certain date, filter out certain words, etc, like GMail with its filters. You can do everything with those.
    04-01-15 11:11 PM
    That's a mistake I have made before, albeit a different way... don't ever accidentally press the delete button in an sms convo if the response box is empty because it will also prompt to end the conversation. I learned the hard way and ya know what, I've been with BlackBerry for almost a decade! Easy mistake to make.

However, all platforms have their deletion woes. No phone is exempt from having a stupid and unnecessary setting. My advice to you is to make frequent backups of your data, which is something you should probably do daily anyway. Especially if you use your phone for business purposes.

Posted via CB10
    andy957 and southlander like this.
    04-02-15 12:02 AM
    That's why you READ things before you just click on OK on confirm... It seems everytime I am asked to "fix" someone's computer, and they claim it isn't working right or whatever, I ask them to show me how they are trying to accomplish what they claim "doesn't work" and I see them just clicking ok on every screen and ok on every dialog box that pops up without reading a single one, just *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* then they turn to me and go "look, see, it's not getting past this screen." I ask them, what the last dialog box said, and they would just shrug and tell me they don't know, and 99% of the time, one of the last screens or dialog boxes said something that had they read it, they would know what to do.

This also happens and they end up installing all kinds of bloatware and toolbars because they just click yes to everything without looking while installing programs... Then they claim that all of that stuff just "installed themselves." I love when people say gaming on PC is too much work because the PC always ends up getting slow and full of viruses. I literally leave my PC on 24/7 and I spend countless hours on it, and I haven't had a single virus on it in probably over 10 years and it still runs as fast now as it did when I first built this configuration...

I can't think of a good saying for this situation, but when I worked as an auto technician years ago, there's a good saying we had that kind of fits: "The problem is the nut behind the wheel."
    04-02-15 12:41 AM
    Fine, I'll tone it down, but this really is bad choice on Blackbery's part.
    BlackBerry*

Deleting a line in SMS text ruins the integrity of the conversation. I, for one, appreciate the rigidity...all or nothing... prevents misquotes and general crafty foolishness.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-15 12:51 AM
    BlackBerry*

Deleting a line in SMS text ruins the integrity of the conversation. I, for one, appreciate the rigidity...all or nothing... prevents misquotes and general crafty foolishness.

Posted via CB10
    I think you're giving them too much credit now. You can indeed delete individual messages. You can do that when within the conversation, long press on a specific message and select delete...
    04-02-15 01:10 AM
    I think you're giving them too much credit now. You can indeed delete individual messages. You can do that when within the conversation, long press on a specific message and select delete...
    Maybe. Possibly. I don't know the OP's motives or expertise....
    It's true however that deleting what appears to be an individual SMS message in the Hub, it ends the chat and deletes the entire conversation.
    I could be mistaken but I thought that was the OPs scenario. No? I'm open to being wrong at 2:30 am

Posted via CB10
    04-02-15 01:28 AM
274 1234 ...