You need to read post #208 in this thread. If you recreate that scenario on your phone you will see that it doesn't mention anything about that fact you just deleted all messages in that sms conversation.

Whatever happens after that in the OS is irrelevant because based on the scenario in post #208, BB10 never lets the user know all messages were just deleted. That's simply bad design.

The scenario in Post #208 is unarguably a fault in the OS. I hope Michael Clewley reads this thread and gets that fixed.

Posted via CB10
    That's post 207, but the poster is correct - the entire conversation is deleted without warning. Definitely a bug.

Posted via CB10
    DenimAndLeather likes this.
    04-07-15 09:02 AM
    That's post 207, but the poster is correct - the entire conversation is deleted without warning. Definitely a bug.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks niss63, I've made the correction as you outlined.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-15 09:25 AM
    This is little bit off topic, but if I am writing a reply in a text conversation, for example "Is it ok at.." and decide to go out of that conversation before sending it, it will show as "draft" (in different font color) and the message I was writing states there too "Is it ok at..". There is briefly a trash bin icon shown.

At least to me all that implies that if you press that trash bin icon it will delete only that message that was "draft" not all messages in that conversation.

Even when you press trash bin icon it states "message deleted" and undo possibility for a second. That "message deleted" information ment that conversation was deleted completely, because that is what it does.

Not sure I could explain it clearly, but that was confusing to me at first time, now I know

Posted via CB10
    You need to read post #207 in this thread. If you recreate that scenario on your phone you will see that it doesn't mention anything about that fact you just deleted all messages in that sms conversation.

Whatever happens after that in the OS is irrelevant because based on the scenario in post #207, BB10 never lets the user know all messages were just deleted. That's simply bad design.

The scenario in Post #207 is unarguably a fault in the OS. I hope Michael Clewley reads this thread and gets that fixed.

Posted via CB10

Corrected to post #207.

Posted via CB10
    This is different from the OP's goof, and a tad serious. Granted, I'm running an unofficial OS version, but this appears to be an inconsistency (not a bug*) that's been present in prior OS versions. I created and deleted a draft SMS on my STL100-4 running 10.3.2.281 with exactly the same results - the color of the icon changed to green as expected, and a trash icon was briefly displayed. Tapping the trash icon deleted the entire thread with no warning/confirmation, just like in triage. There's 5 seconds to undo, then the whole thread is gone even though it says "Message Deleted" next to the Undo option. Michael Clewley definitely needs to get BlackBerry to update this to say "Chat deleted", or it needs to erase just the draft. Note that long pressing to delete the draft after the trash icon disappears has normal operation, e.g: the "End Chat" warning.

*Inconsistency vs bug: inconsistency is where the design team wasn't thinking things through, bugs are actual errors in the code.
    04-07-15 10:40 AM
    Wow learn to use your phone, their are plenty of valid complaints on CB, but this isn't one of them. There is a big difference between "End Chat" and "Delete Message"
    "End Chat' permanently deletes all messages. WTF!-img_20150408_020154.png
    "End Chat' permanently deletes all messages. WTF!-img_20150408_020207.png

"Correct me grammar fascists! I'm ready!"
    04-08-15 01:07 AM
    *Inconsistency vs bug: inconsistency is where the design team wasn't thinking things through, bugs are actual errors in the code.
    I understand what you're saying, but when a ui design leads a user to undesirably delete data, to call it anything less than a SERIOUS bug (in the design if you like) is softpedalling to a maddening degree... which is why I also think use of a misnomer like "End Chat" is something that should be fixed.

Posted via CB10
    DenimAndLeather likes this.
    04-08-15 07:08 AM
    Wow learn to use your phone, their are plenty of valid complaints on CB, but this isn't one of them. There is a big difference between "End Chat" and "Delete Message"
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150408_020154.png 
Views:	633 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	346326
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150408_020207.png 
Views:	631 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	346327

"Correct me grammar fascists! I'm ready!"
    Lol you and I and also most of this thread poster get it but for some it is still Blackberry's fault!

Passport 
    04-08-15 08:40 AM
    I understand what you're saying, but when a ui design leads a user to undesirably delete data, to call it anything less than a SERIOUS bug (in the design if you like) is softpedalling to a maddening degree... which is why I also think use of a misnomer like "End Chat" is something that should be fixed.

Posted via CB10
    This ^^

I'm assuming everyone in this thread is an advanced user of BB10 so the fact that some advanced users see a problem with the SMS scenario in post #207 means it warrants attention from BlackBerry.

As a Web developer myself I understand the importance of building applications to be consistent and BB10 simply isn't in this case as shown in post #207.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by DenimAndLeather; 04-08-15 at 09:18 AM.
    04-08-15 09:04 AM

Posted via CB10
    Actually, it's "inconsistent" because it's not doing the same thing. A "delete" function deletes one message (deleting one message from within a conversation, deleting one email, deleting one facebook notification), the thing OP did was deleting an entire conversation worth of messages, so in my opinion it shouldn't be labeled the same as the rest that is deleting only one message...

Seriously, how else would the chat be ended? Will it prevent you from messaging that person or prevent that person from messaging you??

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    04-08-15 10:10 AM
    You guys do know that the Apple guys are laughing their asses off reading this thread, right?

In all seriousness, do think about the iPhones. When you swipe to delete a text convo, hit Delete ==>>> poof, it's gone. There's no 2nd warning message. Hell, there's not even the 1st warning message. How dare Apple be that inconsiderate? At least, BB10 gives the warning.
    04-08-15 10:23 AM
    to call it anything less than a SERIOUS bug FLAW (in the design if you like) is softpedalling to a maddening degree...
    This is the word I'd use, if we get to be choosy.

Posted via CB10
    This ^^

I'm assuming everyone in this thread is an advanced user of BB10 so the fact that some advanced users see a problem with the SMS scenario in post #207 means it warrants attention from BlackBerry.

As a Web developer myself I understand the importance of building applications to be consistent and BB10 simply isn't in this case as shown in post #207.

Posted via CB10
    As far as "End Chat" goes, I view that as the proper term - SMS in BB10 is in conversational style, and a shorter synonym for conversation is, of course, chat. So in the conversation (chat) users can highlight and delete messages singly, and in the Hub the whole conversation (chat), which is the same behavior as IM programs like BBM. So it is consistent as far as that goes, it just needs the wording changed on the "post 207 bug", the return of the ability to switch to non-threaded SMS (hello BBOS 4.7), and documentation in the Help section that explains it all.
    04-08-15 10:34 AM
    You guys do know that the Apple guys are laughing their asses off reading this thread, right?

In all seriousness, do think about the iPhones. When you swipe to delete a text convo, hit Delete ==>>> poof, it's gone. There's no 2nd warning message. Hell, there's not even the 1st warning message. How dare Apple be that inconsiderate? At least, BB10 gives the warning.
    Mind explaining the big red "Delete" button you have to press before it gets removed?
    04-08-15 10:51 AM
    Mind explaining the big red "Delete" button you have to press before it gets removed?
    Sure, but that's the point many are arguing here, that there's no additional warning after the said button is pressed. My point is that Blackberry provides more ample warning than my iPhone. In essence, I agree with your post #235.
    Thud Hardsmack and gvs1341 like this.
    04-08-15 11:05 AM
    Is it bigger than the big message box that shows that says "All Messages will be deleted"??

quangtran1 likes this.
    04-08-15 12:09 PM
    Sure, but that's the point many are arguing here, that there's no additional warning after the said button is pressed. My point is that Blackberry provides more ample warning than my iPhone. In essence, I agree with your post #235.
    OK, I get where you were going with that now. For those that don't know: iOS 7 and 8 method for deleting a SMS chat is to slide the conversation/chat to the left and then tap the big red button that says Delete. Conversation/chat then disappears. BB10, by comparison, has an extra step that includes freezing the screen and warning the user of impending doom if the End Chat button is pressed, showcased several times throughout this thread.

Is it bigger than the big message box that shows that says "All Messages will be deleted"??

No, but I can see someone deleting a text from across the room. And they don't seem to be terribly surprised when it happens, considering all it says on the button is Delete.
    quangtran1 likes this.
    04-08-15 12:43 PM
    these different message types are bring presented in a uniform manner which is good but they are conceptually different which introduces a challenge for the design especially if the user is put in the position of having to differentiate them despite their uniformity and introduces problems when the similar-looking-but-conceptually-different items are treated differently: deleting one email message doesn't delete all messages in a 'chat' (a 'thread' which is a contrivance of a sort in itself) and certainly doesn't delete all your emails from a given individual. In fact, there is no way to do to email messages what happened to the OPs txt messages, without at least 2 or 3 purposeful manual steps.

Are tweets that use the same hash tag part of the same "chat" or "topic" and when deleting one they should all be deleted? Is a single tweet 'the same' as a single sms message or a single email, and does the notion of how coarse or fine the gaps in time between responses in a "thread" indicative of some grouping logic? Does presenting these different things in a uniform way in a unified interface introduce risk of confusion?

Without actually designing it here, I think there are improvements that could be made.
    04-08-15 02:51 PM
    Ok. I've just opened a text message, which was a missed call from a friend. Touched the last one in the thread & held it for a moment until the menu on the right hand side comes out. At the bottom right is the option to delete the message, & this will delete only this last message, not the whole thread, conversation. Hope that helps.

Posted on CB10 with my Passport but previously my Q10
    04-09-15 09:21 AM
    Oh god, why is this totally stupid thread still alive?

Posted via CB10
    gvs1341 likes this.
    04-10-15 12:37 AM

Posted via CB10
    Because you just replied to it. The last reply before yours was over 15 hours ago...

niss63 and DocDRM like this.
    04-10-15 01:07 AM
    OK, I get where you were going with that now. For those that don't know: iOS 7 and 8 method for deleting a SMS chat is to slide the conversation/chat to the left and then tap the big red button that says Delete. Conversation/chat then disappears. BB10, by comparison, has an extra step that includes freezing the screen and warning the user of impending doom if the End Chat button is pressed, showcased several times throughout this thread.
    Thanks for the comparison :-)

But, still this thread is going on?!

 Q5 / Z30
    04-10-15 06:26 AM
    One of the best, if not the best, query in this thread!!!

;-)

 Q5 / Z30
    04-10-15 06:28 AM
    Because you just replied to it. The last reply before yours was over 15 hours ago...

Lol I can't tell who is serious and who is joking in this thread anymore.

For real people, please no more replies in this totally stupid thread!

Please let it die for the love of all that is BlackBerry.

Posted with my Q5 using CB10
    anon(5990673) likes this.
    04-10-15 01:45 PM
    Oh Gawd. What did you think it did?

Make you a ham Sandwich?

I swear to god these boards are being taken over by Nattering Nabobs of Negativism...

Most likely provocateurs from other OS's.

Get lost!!

Lovingly created by my Z30
    04-10-15 02:03 PM
    Who wouldn't like to "end" this chat permanently?

Posted via CB10 on the President Underwood version of the BlackBerry Classic
    anon(5990673) likes this.
    04-10-15 02:05 PM
    Who wouldn't like to "end" this chat permanently?

Posted via CB10 on the President Underwood version of the BlackBerry Classic
    I see what you did there!

What is that?! That my friend is my BlackBerry Passport.
    04-10-15 09:05 PM
    this thread should be closed already but before it does and for the record the user is at fault for not reading, now mods close this thread already
    04-11-15 12:02 PM
274 ... 891011