I guess sarcasm doesn't come across too well around these parts.

I know that option exists. I specifically said that, given that deleting an email on my BB device PERMANENTLY deletes it (aka DOES NOT move it to the trash bin) I will have to turn that option off, lest I risk permanently deleting data.
    That's on your email provider. The device is just a client. Check your server and account set up.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    04-06-15 12:48 AM
    Going through this thread made me wonder if any other phone does what the OP suggested. Does Android, iOS, or Windows act that way?

Posted via CB10
    Using Android. There is no hub. So that part does not apply in that SMS is not mixed with emails. But yeah. On Android if you delete the convo it's all gone.

04-06-15 12:55 AM
    Every action should be followed by 10 "Are you sure?" commands.

That way you'll always be sure. About everything.

"Are you sure you want to unlock your phone?"
    "Are you sure you want to take a picture?"
    "Are you sure you want to swipe left?"
    "Are you sure you want to sent this text?" (definitely useful)
    04-06-15 12:57 AM
    What if I'm deleting emails when I'm drunk as a skunk and I tap and delete an SMS that's really a file containing a whole thread of filth sent from one of my honeys?
    You would restore the back up. If you didn't have a backup then it couldn't have been truly important. Though I could see being frustrated at losing it nonetheless.

greenberry666 likes this.
    04-06-15 12:59 AM
    I wish I could end this chat permanently.

Posted via CB10
    miker476 likes this.
    04-06-15 01:26 AM
    Wait, I don't get this

So OP said that he had a half-finished message in a text thread and he somehow didn't realize that deleting a text thread would delete everything?

This is what came up when I tried that scenario:

"End Chat' permanently deletes all messages. WTF!-img_20150406_132328.png

That's unambiguous and is pretty clear, system font size currently set at 7

I still don't see why OP can be angry at the UI.

Z10STL100-1/10.3.1.2243
    04-06-15 01:29 AM
    This is little bit off topic, but if I am writing a reply in a text conversation, for example "Is it ok at.." and decide to go out of that conversation before sending it, it will show as "draft" (in different font color) and the message I was writing states there too "Is it ok at..". There is briefly a trash bin icon shown.

At least to me all that implies that if you press that trash bin icon it will delete only that message that was "draft" not all messages in that conversation.

Even when you press trash bin icon it states "message deleted" and undo possibility for a second. That "message deleted" information ment that conversation was deleted completely, because that is what it does.

Not sure I could explain it clearly, but that was confusing to me at first time, now I know

Posted via CB10
    rhitdoph and niss63 like this.
    04-06-15 01:50 AM
    Using Android. There is no hub. So that part does not apply in that SMS is not mixed with emails. But yeah. On Android if you delete the convo it's all gone.

I meant whether any other platform acts the way OP thought ending a chat would - that is, tapping on delete or end would only delete the last message sent/received.

But yes, this thread needs to be locked as both sides of this discussion was argued extensively by both groups.

Verdict: They think we don't get the point that they want "end chat" to be changed to "end conversation" or "delete conversation". We think they should be reading warnings even if they don't know what something does, instead of agreeing to dismiss the warning immediately and ranting about lost data on this forum. We both agree to disagree. Case closed.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-15 03:01 AM
    I meant whether any other platform acts the way OP thought ending a chat would - that is, tapping on delete or end would only delete the last message sent/received.

But yes, this thread needs to be locked as both sides of this discussion was argued extensively by both groups.

Verdict: They think we don't get the point that they want "end chat" to be changed to "end conversation" or "delete conversation". We think they should be reading warnings even if they don't know what something does, instead of agreeing to dismiss the warning immediately and ranting about lost data on this forum. We both agree to disagree. Case closed.

Posted via CB10
    Wait.

We haven't all agreed on whether it's ok for Habs to refer to herself as a "he".

Z30 STA100-2. 10.3.1.747
    04-06-15 03:08 AM
    Wait.

We haven't all agreed on whether it's ok for Habs to refer to herself as a "he".

Z30 STA100-2. 10.3.1.747
    Oh yeah, how could I forget to add that part..
    Let's consider him/her the best of both worlds - also known as transgender.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-15 05:26 AM
    This is little bit off topic, but if I am writing a reply in a text conversation, for example "Is it ok at.." and decide to go out of that conversation before sending it, it will show as "draft" (in different font color) and the message I was writing states there too "Is it ok at..". There is briefly a trash bin icon shown.

At least to me all that implies that if you press that trash bin icon it will delete only that message that was "draft" not all messages in that conversation.

Even when you press trash bin icon it states "message deleted" and undo possibility for a second. That "message deleted" information ment that conversation was deleted completely, because that is what it does.

Not sure I could explain it clearly, but that was confusing to me at first time, now I know

Posted via CB10
    Actually you aren't off-topic at all.

I just tried out what you outlined and you bring up an excellent point. Per your description when triaging and deleting a draft sms, the End Chat? button isn't even presented.

BB10 can certainly use some tightening up when it comes to it's SMS management and user experience.

Posted via CB10
    greenberry666 likes this.
    04-06-15 07:43 AM
    MODS - please correct thread title to "BB10 Hub Basics for Beginners"

Posted via CB10, Mostly from my Passport, occasionally my Z30
    04-06-15 08:00 AM
    Every action should be followed by 10 "Are you sure?" commands.

That way you'll always be sure. About everything.

"Are you sure you want to unlock your phone?"
    "Are you sure you want to take a picture?"
    "Are you sure you want to swipe left?"
    "Are you sure you want to sent this text?" (definitely useful)
    Are you sure this is a good idea?

Posted via CB10 with PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576
    DocDRM and Iggy City like this.
    04-06-15 09:00 AM
    Actually you aren't off-topic at all.

I just tried out what you outlined and you bring up an excellent point. Per your description when triaging and deleting a draft sms, the End Chat? button isn't even presented.

BB10 can certainly use some tightening up when it comes to it's SMS management and user experience.

Posted via CB10
    No it doesn't show but it does show an undo button if you do delete it that way and if you long press And delete you get the "all messages will be deleted " prompt

Posted via CB10
    04-06-15 09:27 AM
    I wish I could end this chat permanently.

Posted via CB10
    Are you really really sure you want to end this chat permanently?

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    04-06-15 09:50 AM
    No it doesn't show but it does show an undo button if you do delete it that way and if you long press And delete you get the "all messages will be deleted " prompt

Posted via CB10
    Everything after the 'but' in your statement is irrelevant.

The fact that "No it doesn't show" is a problem.

Let's keep the thread going guys!

--------------------------------
    Continue the chat?

If you continue the chat this thread will never die.

[ Cancel ] [ Continue chat ]

Are you sure you want to continue the chat?

Lol

Posted via CB10
    04-06-15 10:20 AM

Continue the chat?

Lol

Posted via CB10
    Are you really sure? Are you positive?

04-06-15 12:16 PM

Posted via CB10
    It's working like it's stated above, with Z10STL100-2/10.3.1.2576. It's confusing. With the "message deleted" message, the whole conversation was deleted.
    04-06-15 02:34 PM

Posted via CB10
    I do think it is a little more obvious on Android (and iOS I assume) since one has to actually open the Messages app to delete a convo/chat or whatever you want to call it.

In the HUB, emails are NOT convos unless you've told it to group by convo. So deleting an email is deleting a single item. But SMS messages are merely a "link" if you will to the entire convo. Something at least a newbie might not at first realize.

Even so, the warning BB10 gives is very very clear. Yes. This ain't BlackBerry's fault I agree.
    04-06-15 04:38 PM
    Are you really sure you want to end this chat?
    Are you really really sure you want to end this chat permanently?
    Are you really sure? Are you positive?
    Uhmmm..Well....If I do will it delete this Chat or just my last post?
    04-06-15 05:39 PM
    Uhmmm..Well....If I do will it delete this Chat or just my last post?
    Neither, it doesn't state that it would like the dialog box from the hub does. :-)

04-06-15 06:24 PM
    Neither, it doesn't state that it would like the dialog box from the hub does. :-)
    WTF....Blackberry should fix this in the next OS update.
    04-06-15 06:29 PM

Continue the chat?

Lol

Posted via CB10
    its not irrelevent because it gives you the choice to undo what you did either way, your given 2 opportunities to delete if you really want to delete how many times should we be asked if we really want to delete something
    04-06-15 06:31 PM
    its not irrelevent because it gives you the choice to undo what you did either way, your given 2 opportunities to delete if you really want to delete how many times should we be asked if we really want to delete something
    You need to read post #207 in this thread. If you recreate that scenario on your phone you will see that it doesn't mention anything about that fact you just deleted all messages in that sms conversation.

Whatever happens after that in the OS is irrelevant because based on the scenario in post #207, BB10 never lets the user know all messages were just deleted. That's simply bad design.

The scenario in Post #207 is unarguably a fault in the OS. I hope Michael Clewley reads this thread and gets that fixed.

Posted via CB10

Corrected to post #207.
    Last edited by DenimAndLeather; 04-07-15 at 09:21 AM.
    niss63 likes this.
    04-07-15 07:55 AM
    I just tried to read thru this whole thing but got tired of it. My 2cents worth is the same thing happened to me. I was hurriedly hitting the delete button, like i did a million times before, thinking i was just deleting the last reply i was on. I saw 'end chat' and thought that was a weird phrase, but since my choices were just yes do it or no dont do it i hit yes and then went oh ****.

It just SEEMS to me that up until that point in time that deleting a response was just deleting a response, and then it got different. Im not saying it GOT different, only that it seemed like it did.

My first cellphone - dumb like me phone, (which wasnt THAT long ago, when i was forced to get a cellphone or have no phone) just deleted each response you chose, and new texts arrived in real-time order regardless of which sender, and somehow i was never really aware this changed until the same thing happened to me that happened to the OP.

I dont save stuff in texting except an item i may want to refer to later, not every back and forth word that was said. So i would think, logically, to have texts group themselves into conversations or not would be a 'toggle choice' that would depend on how you usually use your texting feature.

When it happened to me i just thought oh stupid me instead of posting about it, so i could see how the OP would be offended at the initial response to expressing exasperation at this 'feature.'

I also feel that expressing exasperation at a phone setting, operator error or not, doesnt really warrant a hostile response, and what i like about this forum is that people are in general very nice and cool about stuff. We dont know it til we know it, ya know?
    DenimAndLeather likes this.
    04-07-15 08:34 AM
274 ... 7891011