You did it in hub, selecting the group of messages. What else did you think was going on?
    Have you ever owned an android phone? If so then you would know that BlackBerry is pretty much the same.
    All and all, read before you hit ok.....sorry to say user error.

Posted via CB10
    Actually, if you tried to duplicate the issue, you would have realized it cannot be done through the Hub. You would have only a "delete" option.
    The issue occurred inside a text message conversation. But yes, it is user error, at least failure to read on the user's side.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-15 10:44 PM
    This thread is fascinating. How difficult is it to tap "Delete" and upon reading the warning have a permanent understanding that "Delete" from the Hub will erase the entire history and will do exactly the same thing every time? BlackBerry chose to have the ability to erase a single message in a SMS and delete the whole thread, and even separated those functions in an attempt to eliminate confusion. Furthermore, if you're using the triage function you have a brief moment to reclaim your chat. The problem isn't BlackBerry using ambiguous naming conventions, it's users' refusal to learn device functionality.
    Attached Thumbnails "End Chat' permanently deletes all messages. WTF!-1428120649054.jpg   "End Chat' permanently deletes all messages. WTF!-1428120683331.jpg  
    anon(5990673) likes this.
    04-03-15 11:11 PM
    This thread is fascinating. How difficult is it to tap "Delete" and upon reading the warning have a permanent understanding that "Delete" from the Hub will erase the entire history and will do exactly the same thing every time? BlackBerry chose to have the ability to erase a single message in a SMS and delete the whole thread, and even separated those functions in an attempt to eliminate confusion. Furthermore, if you're using the triage function you have a brief moment to reclaim your chat. The problem isn't BlackBerry using ambiguous naming conventions, it's users' refusal to learn device functionality.
    I hadn't deleted a text message before using the triage, so thank you for the screenshots. I did try it and worked flawlessly (especially the "undo" button).

However, OP and other users were talking about having "end chat" instead of "delete" which might have confused them (the warning should have eliminated the confusion), and they were voicing their frustration that there wasn't an "undo" ability within the conversation itself.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-15 11:21 PM
    There isn't a "trash" folder in the hub, where you can send everything deleted to it for a period of time, and I'm not sure it is needed.
    Posted via CB10
    Each email account in the Hub has a trash folder.

"End Chat' permanently deletes all messages. WTF!-img_20150404_005343.png
    "End Chat' permanently deletes all messages. WTF!-img_20150404_004721.png

Posted via CB10
    04-03-15 11:57 PM
    The problem with your assessment of the situation is that you're assuming the OP has common sense.

Posted via CB10
    04-04-15 12:01 AM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150404_005343.png 
Views:	859 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	345421

Name:	IMG_20150404_004721.png 
Views:	856 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	345422

Posted via CB10
    Sorry, meant to mean a common Trash folder the whole Hub, which is something that won't happen. Even in the case of somehow coming up with a trash folder for text messages, it would make the whole "delete" or "end chat" pointless, and users will then complain that it takes a few more taps for doing a simple task as deleting (send to trash folder, head to trash folder, and empty the folder)

Posted via CB10
    04-04-15 12:11 AM

Name:	IMG_20150404_005343.png 
Views:	859 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	345421

Name:	IMG_20150404_004721.png 
Views:	856 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	345422

Posted via CB10
    Lol at 10.2

Posted via CB10
    04-04-15 12:17 AM
    Lol at 10.2

Posted via CB10
    Yes. Good old solid, unwavering, non screen frying 10.2.1.2976

Posted via CB10
    04-04-15 12:40 AM
    Wow.

Ok you are hung up on continuing to mention the smaller print. Please understand the OP is not arguing that it doesn't say all the messages will be deleted in smaller print.

The issue is the hub has a button that says in big letters 'End Chat' that should really say 'Delete' instead of End. 'End' could mean a lot of things (regardless of what it says in smaller print).

What 'End chat' means isn't obvious to every user. End Chat could mean close the chat window, or it could mean remove the conversation from the hub, log out the app, close the app, etc. The fact the button has to explain what 'End chat' means in smaller print is a hint that 'End Chat' isn't very clear in the first place.

For example, if u had 56 text messages in a SMS conversation the button could say:
    -----------------------------------

( ! ) DELETE All 56 Messages?

All 56 messages in this SMS conversation
    will be permanently deleted.

[CANCEL] [DELETE ALL]

-----------------------------------

And then a Undo option is provided in case you realize you shouldn't have deleted all the messages.

The OP is pointing out the UI could be more clear and error-proof from the get-go instead of using an ambiguous term like 'End' and then telling people in the smaller print 'hey btw End means Delete'. That is all he is saying.

Ok I can't spell it out any clearer than that.

That's it for me in this thread.

I'm done arguing on the Internet. For now, lol.

Posted via CB10
    A funny thing is that people's inability to properly read and understand this very clear post is a precise example of the human error that ambiguous wording and a fumbling finger can cause, such as in OP's upsetting accident.

� EASY TO UNDERSTAND COMMENT BELOW �

No one doubts the accuracy of the final dialogue box.

^ EASY TO UNDERSTAND COMMENT ABOVE ^

It's as though they read a few words and then their minds jump in and start answering what they THINK you said. Rather like OP being unable to stop his tapping finger when the final (accurate) dialogue popped up because he thought the previously appearing "End Chat" didn't mean "delete messages" (which it doesn't) .

Human error is causing the humans here to not grasp the subtle points.

Z30 STA100-2. 10.3.1.747
    Last edited by greenberry666; 04-04-15 at 01:00 AM.
    04-04-15 12:45 AM
    This needs to be pinned.

Posted via CB10
    04-04-15 01:23 AM
    My first thought would be 'End chat' removes the chat from the hub, not delete all messages. After reading the smaller print u see that it means delete all messages.

You won't see the word 'End' commonly used in software design precisely because it is ambiguous.

Furthermore, they shouldn't be referring to an SMS conversation as a 'chat' in the first place. I think a more appropriate term for it is a 'conversation'.

Maybe I'm just old school. I don't know people's ages in this thread but back in the day a 'chat' occurred in a specific app or window. A chat required u to log into the chat server. When u 'ended' or 'left' the chat it meant your instance of the application was disconnected from the server. You could no longer send or receive messages with the person you were chatting to. A chat had a beginning and an end. A lot like the way a skype call has a beginning and an end today.

So in that respect SMS text messages isn't a 'chat' at all.

So seeing 'End Chat' in respect to SMS is confusing to me, because I don't consider SMS texts a 'chat' event in the first place like whatsapp or bbm.

Posted via CB10
    Either your definition for "chat" is true or not, being old school or not, and whether or not other software use the word end ,all these reasons you gave can be dismissed because of the confirmation box that comes after.

So even If you didn't understand what that action will do, that box show up tell what this "end chat"means . Is it the right term to call this action? It doesn't matter because it tells what they meant by that.

His fault no one else's. Even myself learned the hard way 'cause I DIDN'T READ.

Posted via CB10
    04-04-15 02:02 AM
    Either your definition for "chat" is true or not, being old school or not, and whether or not other software use the word end ,all these reasons you gave can be dismissed because of the confirmation box that comes after.

So even If you didn't understand what that action will do, that box show up tell what this "end chat"means . Is it the right term to call this action? It doesn't matter because it tells what they meant by that.

His fault no one else's. Even myself learned the hard way 'cause I DIDN'T READ.

Posted via CB10
    You don't get it.. We don't care about the warnings, as we immediately accept it without reading. BlackBerry should fix the wording of the initial command title so we don't click on it.

They will not accept that it is their fault for skipping the warning window, and we won't see how changing the wording of a button will make a difference.

Good luck convincing BlackBerry developers to change it or add multiple warning windows. No wait, a better suggestion would be to set a timer on the warnings. That way, you cannot click on anything for 10 seconds while you read, out loud, every word written on the warning.

Posted via CB10
    R7abb and andy957 like this.
    04-04-15 02:26 AM
    This is going to make you guys laugh.

I decided to long press a text to get another look at the dialogue box that pops up. It was quite an important Text thread containing evidence I had been gathering on someone's behaviour. But i knew the dialogue box would pop up so I'd be fine and dandy.

The dialogue didn't pop up and.....pooof!

The whole text thread had been deleted....

It turns out that a few months ago I had disabled that "annoying" feature!!!
    LOL!

The fault lies with OP and everyone else in this thread.

Z30 STA100-2. 10.3.1.747
    04-04-15 05:16 AM

I decided to long press a text to get another look at the dialogue box that pops up. It was quite an important Text thread containing evidence I had been gathering on someone's behaviour. But i knew the dialogue box would pop up so I'd be fine and dandy.

LOL!

Z30 STA100-2. 10.3.1.747
    Why..? Why must I facepalm multiple times a day?

Next time, compose a new text message to duplicate the scenario or use an advertisement sent via SMS.

Posted via CB10
    greenberry666 likes this.
    04-04-15 05:29 AM
    Whilst I agree, an undo option should be there for a short time, you clearly didn't read the message. It clearly and unambiguously tells you what confirming does... I think sadly your failure here is not reading the message properly.

You remind me of customers complaining that important emails are gone, when enquiring you discover they were 'stored' in Deleted Items and consider it an outrage they're occasionally cleared.

Posted via CB10
    So True.

Via Digicel 10.3.1.1779
    04-04-15 10:51 AM
    You don't get it.. We don't care about the warnings, as we immediately accept it without reading. BlackBerry should fix the wording of the initial command title so we don't click on it.

They will not accept that it is their fault for skipping the warning window, and we won't see how changing the wording of a button will make a difference.

Good luck convincing BlackBerry developers to change it or add multiple warning windows. No wait, a better suggestion would be to set a timer on the warnings. That way, you cannot click on anything for 10 seconds while you read, out loud, every word written on the warning.

Posted via CB10
    Hahahahahaha.....Really?

"We don't care about the warnings, as we immediately accept it without reading"

Maybe a "Are you sure?" pop up, followed by a "No seriously, ARE you sure?" pop up , and lastly a "these texts will be deleted in 24hrs" pop up with a cancel if you change your mind option?

Via Digicel 10.3.1.1779
    HabsFan9860 likes this.
    04-04-15 10:58 AM

LOL!

Z30 STA100-2. 10.3.1.747
    LOL! Yes, even though I know I didn't disable the pop up, for the screenshot I took, I made sure to send myself a few texts to start a new conversation and used that for the example, lol. :-D

Be more careful next time, sheesh!!

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    greenberry666 likes this.
    04-04-15 10:59 AM
    I see things like this all day... sorry for what happened but clearly you did not read and that is user error... the prompt clearly says all messages in chat will be deleted..

College Valedictorian.. I.T. Pro... Swiped from the AMAZING Zed30 on. 10.3.1.1154 on ATT.. SoFlo... #LexusBoys #TeamVossen ...... #TeamVySol
    04-04-15 12:22 PM
    Lool at this OP! It's normal to delete everything on every phone. Gues it's time for you to give up smartphones, because such an thread is inexcusable.

Posted via CB10
    04-04-15 12:28 PM
    This thread is going no where, people are too stubborn to realise the OS is not at fault. People are too ignorant and the society we live in teaches us to shift the blame on others rather than correct ourselves.

Complete waste of time!!!

Passport 
    ...Amen....

Posted on CB10 via my Z30....
    04-04-15 02:22 PM
    Hahahahahaha.....Really?

"We don't care about the warnings, as we immediately accept it without reading"

Maybe a "Are you sure?" pop up, followed by a "No seriously, ARE you sure?" pop up , and lastly a "these texts will be deleted in 24hrs" pop up with a cancel if you change your mind option?

Via Digicel 10.3.1.1779
    Did not think I would have to point out sarcasm on this forum before.
    04-04-15 03:05 PM
    A funny thing is that people's inability to properly read and understand this very clear post is a precise example of the human error that ambiguous wording and a fumbling finger can cause, such as in OP's upsetting accident.

� EASY TO UNDERSTAND COMMENT BELOW �

No one doubts the accuracy of the final dialogue box.

^ EASY TO UNDERSTAND COMMENT ABOVE ^

It's as though they read a few words and then their minds jump in and start answering what they THINK you said. Rather like OP being unable to stop his tapping finger when the final (accurate) dialogue popped up because he thought the previously appearing "End Chat" didn't mean "delete messages" (which it doesn't) .

Human error is causing the humans here to not grasp the subtle points.

Z30 STA100-2. 10.3.1.747
    Omg Thank you! Thank goodness some other people are seeing what's going on in this thread.

If one more person chimes in saying it's the user's fault I'm giving up on humanity.

Yes, it's user error Einsteins, we know and agree it says delete in the smaller print on the button.

Now how can this user error be prevented without adding additional steps?

Oh I know!

Put DELETE in the larger print of the button.

/ENDthread

Posted via CB10
    04-04-15 03:13 PM
    ...Amen....

Are you and habs_fan the same person?

Posted via CB10
    04-04-15 03:23 PM
    Are you and habs_fan the same person?

Posted via CB10
    ...no that SOB sstole my coolness.....lol, nah but he/she does have some good taste!...

04-04-15 03:29 PM
    ...no that SOB sstole my coolness.....lol, nah but he/she does have some good taste!...

She doesn't, actually

Via CB10 Rockin PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.281
    04-04-15 03:47 PM
274 ... 56789 ...