Who keeps messages for 6 months? (other than you of course)

What is that?! That my friend is my BlackBerry Passport.
    04-03-15 05:58 PM

I'm with OP on this one.

Some of the wording (End Chat rather than Delete Entire Thread)is ambiguous and silly.

Z30 STA100-2. 10.3.1.747
    Thank you! Why is it so hard for people to understand that? 'End chat' doesn't make sense when referring to an SMS conversation.
    Regardless of what it says below 'End chat'. 'End chat' is the problem.

And yes OP an 'Undo' option makes sense after deleting an entire SMS conversation to give you a chance to recover it just in case you deleted it by accident. I can't believe anyone would argue against having an Undo option after deleting an entire SMS conversation that could contain 100s of texts over months.

I'm not even going to try to explain the 'delete from server' issue OP mentioned and why what he says makes sense.

The vast majority of people replying in this thread have reading comprehension issues or don't have advanced critical thinking skills. But they think they do. It's kinda scary.

This thread makes me wanna yell:

"End Chat' permanently deletes all messages. WTF!-office_space.jpg

Posted via CB10
    04-03-15 06:08 PM
    Who keeps messages for 6 months? (other than you of course)

What is that?! That my friend is my BlackBerry Passport.
    I keep messages indefinitely for my main friends... And yes, it's had its purposes before. Funny thing, just recently a friend asked me what the name of a certain "range" was that I brought up to him before, I remembered that conversation, but couldn't remember the name, so I went back in my texts, and found it. Do you know when the conversation happened? December 2012...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    04-03-15 06:20 PM
    Thank you! Why is it so hard for people to understand that? 'End chat' doesn't make sense when referring to an SMS conversation.
    Regardless of what it says below 'End chat'. 'End chat' is the problem.

And yes OP an 'Undo' option makes sense after deleting an entire SMS conversation to give you a chance to recover it just in case you deleted it by accident. I can't believe anyone would argue against having an Undo option after deleting an entire SMS conversation that could contain 100s of texts over months.

I'm not even going to try to explain the 'delete from server' issue OP mentioned and why what he says makes sense.

The vast majority of people replying in this thread have reading comprehension issues or don't have advanced critical thinking skills. But they think they do. It's kinda scary.

Posted via CB10

"End Chat' permanently deletes all messages. WTF!-20150403183703.jpg

Yep, WE are the ones with reading comprehension issues...

Gosh, if only it mentions somewhere in there about it deleting all of the messages...

04-03-15 06:21 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150403183703.jpg 
Views:	781 
Size:	14.3 KB 
ID:	345392

Gosh, if only it mentions somewhere in there about it deleting all of the messages...

Oh no, it is still unclear what it is trying to do. Maybe after agreeing to that pop-up box, another should show up with "Are you REALLY sure you want to delete EVERYTHING?"

Posted via CB10
    Al moon likes this.
    04-03-15 06:32 PM
    I just used Google Translate. In Canadian, "End Chat" translates to "Delete All" in English. In my native language, it means "Kill Me Now!"
    slagman5 and bennyph like this.
    04-03-15 06:37 PM
    Oh no, it is still unclear what it is trying to do. Maybe after agreeing to that pop-up box, another should show up with "Are you REALLY sure you want to delete EVERYTHING?"

Posted via CB10
    Then after that, they should schedule a call-back where a customer service agent calls you to ask you if you're absolutely sure you want to delete the messages, and if you say yes, he/she will read you the definition of the word "delete" and you have to confirm that you got that. And then they will send you a new confirmation asking if you really understood everything explained to you by the customer service agent, you have to then type out "YES" and then it'll delete the messages.

04-03-15 07:24 PM
    I just used Google Translate. In Canadian, "End Chat" translates to "Delete All" in English. In my native language, it means "Kill Me Now!"
    Omg, I laughed so much at that. Not exactly sure why, lol.

quangtran1 likes this.
    04-03-15 07:25 PM
    Then after that, they should schedule a call-back where a customer service agent calls you to ask you if you're absolutely sure you want to delete the messages, and if you say yes, he/she will read you the definition of the word "delete" and you have to confirm that you got that. And then they will send you a new confirmation asking if you really understood everything explained to you by the customer service agent, you have to then type out "YES" and then it'll delete the messages.

You would also be forced to meet a legal representative to read you what it will actually do. Once that is done, it will take three business days for the conversation to be deleted from your device.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-15 07:30 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150403183703.jpg 
Views:	781 
Size:	14.3 KB 
ID:	345392

Wow.

Ok you are hung up on continuing to mention the smaller print. Please understand the OP is not arguing that it doesn't say all the messages will be deleted in smaller print.

The issue is the hub has a button that says in big letters 'End Chat' that should really say 'Delete' instead of End. 'End' could mean a lot of things (regardless of what it says in smaller print).

What 'End chat' means isn't obvious to every user. End Chat could mean close the chat window, or it could mean remove the conversation from the hub, log out the app, close the app, etc. The fact the button has to explain what 'End chat' means in smaller print is a hint that 'End Chat' isn't very clear in the first place.

For example, if u had 56 text messages in a SMS conversation the button could say:
    -----------------------------------

( ! ) DELETE All 56 Messages?

All 56 messages in this SMS conversation
    will be permanently deleted.

[CANCEL] [DELETE ALL]

And then a Undo option is provided in case you realize you shouldn't have deleted all the messages.

The OP is pointing out the UI could be more clear and error-proof from the get-go instead of using an ambiguous term like 'End' and then telling people in the smaller print 'hey btw End means Delete'. That is all he is saying.

Ok I can't spell it out any clearer than that.

That's it for me in this thread.

I'm done arguing on the Internet. For now, lol.

Posted via CB10
    greenberry666 and andy957 like this.
    04-03-15 07:30 PM

I know one thing for sure. Somewhere in these Blackberries, there's a blank space for you to enter 'blackberry'. Below that, there's an option to delete all data. Well, don't do that.
    04-03-15 07:31 PM
    Wow.

Ok you are hung up on continuing to mention the smaller print. Please understand the OP is not arguing that it doesn't say all the messages will be deleted in smaller print.

The issue is the hub has a button that says in big letters 'End Chat' that should really say 'Delete' instead of End. 'End' could mean a lot of things (regardless of what it says in smaller print).

What 'End chat' means isn't obvious to every user. End Chat could mean close the chat window, or it could mean remove the conversation from the hub, log out the app, close the app, etc. The fact the button has to explain what 'End chat' means in smaller print is a hint that 'End Chat' isn't very clear in the first place.

For example, if u had 56 text messages in a SMS conversation the button could say:

[CANCEL] [DELETE ALL]

And then a Undo option is provided in case you realize you shouldn't have deleted all the messages.

The OP is pointing out the UI could be more clear and error-proof from the get-go instead of using an ambiguous term like 'End' and then telling people in the smaller print 'hey btw End means Delete'. That is all he is saying.

Posted via CB10
    Just out of curiosity, what did you and the OP think "End chat" would do? Lock the conversation and stop yourself and the other party from chatting?

If a warning message didn't appear, I would be on your side of the argument. Losing all messages by a tap and not even getting warned of what I tapped on, that would enrage me.
    However, there is a warning message clearly stating what the action you selected will do. The wording is irrelevant in this case because of the warning.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-15 07:35 PM
    Wow.

[CANCEL] [DELETE ALL]

Posted via CB10
    So we are arguing semantics here? The point is, he clicked on something without reading what it says. You can't spell it out any clearer? That dialog box can't spell it out any clearer. Dialog boxes are not there to give you just a yes or no. You are clicking in response to what it says inside the dialog box. Just like all of the people complaining about their PC's not "working" when it's simply this same exact thing, they click without reading.

Please tell me, how else would the chat be ended? Will it block you from texting that person?

Also, here's a point about the wording. When you delete a single message such as an email, facebook notification, or individual message from within a conversation, the option would say "Delete." This situation is deleting more than just one message. Doesn't it make sense to word it differently so you do not confuse this "Delete" with the other "Delete?" In my opinion, by stating that you are ending an entire conversation, it is MORE clear that more than one message will be deleted than if it simply said "Delete" since that's what it says for the emails and the other non-threaded entries like facebook notifications and such. It distinguishes it apart from the simply "Delete" messages for individual messages, this is "Ending" an entire conversation...

So a dialog box pops up, for you to READ what it says, then answer the question. It literally cannot spell it out clearer than that. Because it LITERALLY spells it out for you!

04-03-15 08:03 PM
    Just out of curiosity, what did you and the OP think "End chat" would do? Lock the conversation and stop yourself and the other party from chatting?

If a warning message didn't appear, I would be on your side of the argument. Losing all messages by a tap and not even getting warned of what I tapped on, that would enrage me.
    However, there is a warning message clearly stating what the action you selected will do. The wording is irrelevant in this case because of the warning.

Posted via CB10
    LMAO! I just made that point too, didn't read this response yet though. Exactly how else would the conversation be ended??? :-D

04-03-15 08:04 PM
    So I looked it up, in my hub everywhere it says delete rather than end chat.

The only place it says that is inside of a text conversation.

Regardless, hopefully the OP is also aware that you can change/disable the icons in triage mode.

AND that he can change the ones on email to be file/file (the second one acting a file to the trash folder) so it can act as a type of deletion, but not really.

There ARE solutions here, people just don't try because they're lazy.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-15 08:19 PM
    LMAO! I just made that point too, didn't read this response yet though. Exactly how else would the conversation be ended??? :-D

The device would stop you from sending any further messages and go "Nono, this conversation is over. You were a bad boy. Go to your corner."

Posted via CB10
    04-03-15 08:32 PM
    Or, even better an undo option after its deleted and an option to only delete that one TXT, completed or uncompleted.

One thing I don't like about BB10 is if you start to create a TXT by searching for a contact in the HUB then decide to not send it there's no way to delete the "place holder" for that TXT.

Seems sloppy to me.

� T-Mobile  вιaсĸвεггч� Passport � Autoloaded 10.3.1.2582 � � Sachesi upgraded to 10.3.1.2708 �
    You probably mean that the search list is not updated after you quit editing the message and land back in the search results. Yeah, that is not convenient.
    04-03-15 08:43 PM
    Tim, you're attitude makes me glad this happened to you.

You're fault, not blackberry's.

Posted via CB10
    Pdinos3, habs_fan, R7abb and 2 others like this.
    04-03-15 08:56 PM

Posted via CB10
    My first thought would be 'End chat' removes the chat from the hub, not delete all messages. After reading the smaller print u see that it means delete all messages.

You won't see the word 'End' commonly used in software design precisely because it is ambiguous.

Furthermore, they shouldn't be referring to an SMS conversation as a 'chat' in the first place. I think a more appropriate term for it is a 'conversation'.

Maybe I'm just old school. I don't know people's ages in this thread but back in the day a 'chat' occurred in a specific app or window. A chat required u to log into the chat server. When u 'ended' or 'left' the chat it meant your instance of the application was disconnected from the server. You could no longer send or receive messages with the person you were chatting to. A chat had a beginning and an end. A lot like the way a skype call has a beginning and an end today.

So in that respect SMS text messages isn't a 'chat' at all. A SMS conversation could go back years and could continue for years to come and never have an end. It's more akin to an email conversation. You wouldn't say 'I had an email chat with my business partner'. It would be more proper to say you had an email conversation. Same goes for SMS. A specific flurry of messages could be seen as a chat but all the messages/chats together would be a conversation.

So seeing 'End Chat' in respect to SMS is confusing to me, because I don't consider SMS texts a 'chat' event in the first place like whatsapp or bbm.

Attachment 345409
    If you want me to wear 37 pieces of flair why don't you just make the minimum 37 pieces of flair?... If you want to offer to delete a chat why don't you just say Delete instead of End?

Posted via CB10
    Attached Thumbnails "End Chat' permanently deletes all messages. WTF!-bc37642d484dacb6984a7d83056940c3.jpg  
    greenberry666, bodjor and rhitdoph like this.
    04-03-15 09:05 PM
    One thing I don't like about BB10 is if you start to create a TXT by searching for a contact in the HUB then decide to not send it there's no way to delete the "place holder" for that TXT.

Seems sloppy to me.

� T-Mobile  вιaсĸвεггч� Passport � Autoloaded 10.3.1.2582 � � Sachesi upgraded to 10.3.1.2708 �
    It would be sloppy if it were true.
    Clear/delete/backspace the characters out of the text field, remove the Recipient and press the Back arrow and *poof* the text message place holder magically disappears from the Hub.

Posted via CB10
    Pdinos3 likes this.
    04-03-15 09:23 PM
    This thread is going no where, people are too stubborn to realise the OS is not at fault. People are too ignorant and the society we live in teaches us to shift the blame on others rather than correct ourselves.

Complete waste of time!!!

Passport 
    Pdinos3, slagman5, R7abb and 1 others like this.
    04-03-15 09:38 PM
    My first thought would be 'End chat' removes the chat from the hub, not delete all messages. After reading the smaller print u see that it means delete all messages.
    I see your point regarding the difference between "chat" and "conversation", though it is merely a technicality issue regarding the wording rather than something that confuses users.

There isn't a "trash" folder in the hub, where you can send everything deleted to it for a period of time, and I'm not sure it is needed. As I stated in a previous comment, the warning message is a warning letting the user know what will happen if they do continue.

If we were to dwell in the way they named options, they should change "name chat" to "rename conversation" because there already is a name in the title of the conversation.

Searching through the BlackBerry support system, I found something similar to this (not the exact same situation). It was to do with the person not being able to find the "resend" option for text messages. The operating system is new to many and there are things that haven't been logged in detail in the help files.

Honestly, and you may correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't seen any device or operating system that has the feature that the OP initially thought of when tapping on "end chat". I haven't seen it on Android nor Windows. Perhaps this is a feature on iOS.

As for the "chat" example used:
    - Chat applications use "close" rather than "end" a conversation.
    - Chat applications use "disconnect" rather than "end" a connection to the chat server.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-15 09:47 PM
    Reminds me of Linux. Delete means DELETE. Linux doesn't ask you if you are sure. Delete means Gone baby. No give backs. If you are a windows user, you expect several warning and one chance to undo a delete.

That said, I have hurriedly deleted messages trying to tidy my inbox and went "oops". Of course, if it was easy to undelete messages or dig into trash folders in the email app, and retrieve deleted messages, that would be a huge security hole to those who wanted their deleted messages really, really gone.

So maybe this bug is actually a feature.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-15 09:57 PM
    Omg why is this thread still alive. Kill it!

Posted via CB10
    04-03-15 10:26 PM
    You did it in hub, selecting the group of messages. What else did you think was going on?
    Have you ever owned an android phone? If so then you would know that BlackBerry is pretty much the same.
    All and all, read before you hit ok.....sorry to say user error.

Posted via CB10
    slagman5 likes this.
    04-03-15 10:38 PM
274 ... 45678 ...