Okay, so there are a few problems here.

I think people have already addressed the failure to read the prompt, so I'll leave that one alone. Also, we've covered the removal of sent and received messages.

I think what's at fault here is the lack of a good way to clear a message that is in the middle of being composed that you decide to abandon and not send. So really what we need is a "Discard Message" option. You could put it in the overflow menu AND for a little extra bonus, have the Hub detect an unsent composition and prompt the user to Discard Message or End Conversation in the popup box. I think we could all agree that while the current way is OK, that this solution would be more OK.

As an extra tip for the OP, if you need to delete a bunch of text, you can always use the text selection handles to highlight the whole message and then tap delete, or use the multi-finger "swipe left to delete" gesture on the virtual KB (# of fingers used is number of words at a time deleted)
    04-02-15 11:30 AM
    Someone should be shot?
    Kevin was smart to leave before the shooting started.
    gvs1341 and lpthomasson like this.
    04-02-15 11:42 AM
    Any email you delete is sent to the 'trash bin 'of your email provider. You're really not the sharpest tool in the shed huh...
    Yep, me sure is big time stupid compared to a Crackberry Master like mad_mdx.

All I know is that when I tested deleting messages, they would show up in the trash bin when using Outlook, Thunderbird, and the webmail interface.

EXCEPT when deleting an email message in the Hub on BB10. The email does not get sent to the trash bin. It's gone. Completely. Even when SSHing into the account and looking at the trash bin folder directly. Bye Bye.

Maybe there is a special option that needs to be set, I dunno. Or maybe it's my (quite common) email provider. Or maybe I just need to be really smart like the rest of you Blackberry users.
    04-02-15 12:02 PM
    Just use delete on hub, and not server, and then you can manage your emails from your primary email client. And, make sure you have delete set on prompt in hub management.
    04-02-15 12:19 PM
    Just use delete on hub, and not server, and then you can manage your emails from your primary email client. And, make sure you have delete set on prompt in hub management.
    Yep, that's exactly the option I'm going to resort to. Which means my shiny Blackberry is kinda' useless for triaging email if I'm going to have to do all over again when at my desk. I woulda' just bought an iPhone in that case. I'm sure the CrackBerry cognoscenti thinks that would be a better match ability-wise. Those iPhone shiny icons are very pretty!
    04-02-15 12:29 PM
    EXCEPT when deleting an email message in the Hub on BB10. The email does not get sent to the trash bin. It's gone. Completely. Even when SSHing into the account and looking at the trash bin folder directly. Bye Bye.

Maybe there is a special option that needs to be set, I dunno. Or maybe it's my (quite common) email provider. Or maybe I just need to be really smart like the rest of you Blackberry users.
    Yup, it has been asked the very first time you deleted one and even offered then to keep this setting for next deletion or keep prompting.
    "delete on device and/or server".

Now, I've passed through a lot of pages bc there was mostly unuseful rants and fights.
    What you experienced don't match my experience.

If you long press a message, then you have an option to delete, but it will be constrained to the exact message with matching alert.
    THEN, if you hit the 3dots and select (obvious sense) "delete chat", after you confirm it, it's lost. Not only it is normal but expected.

But, I've been trying to brig the "delete chat" (or anything that will have the same action) by long pressing either in the text input area or anywhere in the screen (oustide the 3dots) and the only deletion action (an label) I got was "delete message" and worked as expected.

So I'm a bit confused by your explanation in OP. You wrote :
    "So, I had a half finished text message that I had started to compose but never finished.Later I selected this text in the Hub by long pressing on the message. This brought up the 'Delete' option. My intention was just to delete this message, not all of the text messages I had ever had with this person."
    Both are incorrect. Pressing in the input area brings only selection tools and most likely, the message wasn't "delete" (does not exist, BTW) but either "delete message" (and this would never delete the whole chat) or "End chat" which deletes permanently the messages, as explained in the warning ...

So either I'm missing something (happens to me frequently, don't ride it too fast !) or ... maybe ... there's a fat fingers story and a "yadayada, I know, I know, ok : delete" ... and then, yes, NOW, you now

I feel sorry for you, in any cases.
    Cheers
    SF
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 04-02-15 at 03:06 PM.
    anon(5990673) likes this.
    04-02-15 12:30 PM
    I didn't long press the 'thread'. I long pressed a SINGLE message showing up in the Hub, just like when deleting a single email.

This is really crap UI.
    Yeah, I have to admit that this is really idiotic. Somebody at BlackBerry should take a look at the iPhone and see how managing of individual messages should be done. The other thing I don't understand is why they removed the ability to select portion of the text in a message. It's all or nothing.
    greenberry666 likes this.
    04-02-15 12:53 PM

So either I'm missing something (happens to me frequently, don't ride it too fast !) or ... maybe ... there's a fat fingers story and a "yadayada, I know, I know, ok : delete" ... and then, yes, NOW, you now

SF
    Um, yeah. That is exactly what happened. In my first post, that's what I said happened.

That's the whole point: The way the UI is set up currently, if you make a fat-fingered mistake in the back of a taxi you've permanently lost data. It should not be that way.

The peanut gallery here is having grand time making fun of me, but actually did read the dialog when it popped and surmised that 'end chat' could well delete the entire sms thread. I was deleting tens of emails and my finger was already moving and hit the button too quickly, and once confirmed, I've found out the hard way it's game over. It should not be that easy to delete the entire SMS thread by mistake.
    04-02-15 01:05 PM
    Yep, that's exactly the option I'm going to resort to. Which means my shiny Blackberry is kinda' useless for triaging email if I'm going to have to do all over again when at my desk. I woulda' just bought an iPhone in that case. I'm sure the CrackBerry cognoscenti thinks that would be a better match ability-wise. Those iPhone shiny icons are very pretty!
    What the hell are you talking about? If you don't want to have to manage it again on your primary then just select delete on hub and server. My God, man, you really are a piece of work.
    miker476, Pdinos3 and FCSC like this.
    04-02-15 01:14 PM
    What the hell are you talking about? If you don't want to have to manage it again on your primary then just select delete on hub and server. My God, man, you really are a piece of work.
    Erm....

I am at a loss.
    04-02-15 01:21 PM
    That is OP's situation, but you were saying that BB intentionally made it so you cannot only delete individual messages, but you can, you just have to open the conversation, and long press on the individual message and choose delete.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    Yeah, I did. I thought it operated the same way regardless of how you did it (Hub, End Chat or in Text Messages).
    I've used a BlackBerry for what seems like forever and a day and have yet to need to delete a line in an SMS conversation.
    Oh, well. There you have it OP, construct your conversations however you like from within Text Messages.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-15 01:22 PM
    I didn't long press the 'thread'. I long pressed a SINGLE message showing up in the Hub, just like when deleting a single email.

This is really crap UI. Someone should be shot.
    The whole thing is one big thread.

Rogers Blackberry Passport. BlackBerry Since 2006
    04-02-15 01:28 PM
    Don't you people get it? He wants the phone to read his mind! It's pretty simple.. iPhone can do it, so why not BlackBerry ? No wonder BlackBerry is in such a mess!
    anon(5990673) and R7abb like this.
    04-02-15 01:29 PM
    Erm....

I am at a loss.
    You don't have to manage your email in two places.
    Go to: BlackBerry Hub Settings -> Hub Management -> Display Actions and select Delete On Handheld and Server
    "End Chat' permanently deletes all messages. WTF!-img_20150402_143320.png

Posted via CB10
    04-02-15 01:40 PM
    You don't have to manage your email in two places.
    Go to: BlackBerry Hub Settings -> Hub Management -> Display Actions and select Delete On Handheld and Server
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150402_143320.png 
Views:	749 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	345201

Posted via CB10
    I guess sarcasm doesn't come across too well around these parts.

I know that option exists. I specifically said that, given that deleting an email on my BB device PERMANENTLY deletes it (aka DOES NOT move it to the trash bin) I will have to turn that option off, lest I risk permanently deleting data.
    04-02-15 01:49 PM
    Fine, I'll tone it down, but this really is bad choice on Blackbery's part.
    ...I really don't get the issue here, when you selected 'Delete Chat' what did you think that was going to happen?...'chat' is another word for 'conversation'...to most people this would mean delete it all...if that doesn't seem like something that you don't want to do...or you are unsure you don't...then look around for the option that you want...there is an icon for 'Help' right on the home screen...you obviously didn't go through it and want to blame BlackBerry for your inability to know what your device does and how...that's the problem these days, nobody reads, and then when something goes wrong when things don't go their way.

YOU messed up, you didn't read and think first...you just did...and figured that it was somehow not your fault. Read, it can solve a lot of issues.

Posted on CB10 via my Z30....
    04-02-15 02:08 PM
    Yep, me sure is big time stupid compared to a Crackberry Master like mad_mdx.

All I know is that when I tested deleting messages, they would show up in the trash bin when using Outlook, Thunderbird, and the webmail interface.

I don't know what type of email accounts your using but with google you have to change some stuff on googles end and then with the phone set to delete in hub and on server when you delete something it will get put in the deleted folder.....not the archive folder like what is probably happening to you now...if your using google. There probably is a special option somewhere that needs to be set, you just need to go find it.

Um, yeah. That is exactly what happened. In my first post, that's what I said happened.

That's the whole point: The way the UI is set up currently, if you make a fat-fingered mistake in the back of a taxi you've permanently lost data. It should not be that way.

The peanut gallery here is having grand time making fun of me, but actually did read the dialog when it popped and surmised that 'end chat' could well delete the entire sms thread. I was deleting tens of emails and my finger was already moving and hit the button too quickly, and once confirmed, I've found out the hard way it's game over. It should not be that easy to delete the entire SMS thread by mistake.
    I don't get it. I can see how you could fat finger the delete icon....but how the hell do you also fat finger the giant conformation box explaining what you're about to do? And then to top it off I know you probably realized your mistake the moment you confirmed the delete, but you didn't notice the undo prompt that popped up for a good five seconds afterwards? The way it is is the way it should be, that's why I love my Blackberry.
    Last edited by vanmat; 04-02-15 at 02:26 PM.
    04-02-15 02:15 PM
    its pretty simple it asked you if you wanted to delete the chat history and you said yes its not the OS's fault if you wanted to delete a single messeage you should have gone into the sms thread and delete the message you wanted by long pressing it then following direction with the pop up
    04-02-15 02:31 PM
    This has become the ultimate pile-on thread.

If this horse had nine lives, it would still be dead.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.281
    04-02-15 02:33 PM
    Hey Tim_Treo,

This thread is hilarious!

I completely understand your suggestions and they all make sense to me.

I'm laughing at everyone else who doesn't understand what you are saying and are attacking you instead.

I'm gonna just hang back and watch this gong show of a thread continue.

Keep it up everyone!

Posted via CB10
    04-02-15 02:47 PM
    My only thoughts are ...

If I had any files, messages, etc that were so important that I thought "someone should be shot", I would seriously implement some form of backup strategy.

Personally, I think text message are kind of lame. My official communications are always email (and those are stored on my Outlook account). I have also heard that keeping months of text messages slows the phone bootup process.

This reminds me of all the people that lose or damage their phones, then send out a message "hey, I got a new phone ... please text me your number ... ".

Backup, backup, backup

Posted via CB10
    southlander likes this.
    04-02-15 03:05 PM
    OP just out of curiosity, are you so mad because your phone deleted 6 months worth of nudies sent to you? sorry I couldn't resist

Posted via CB10
    04-02-15 03:17 PM
    I guess sarcasm doesn't come across too well around these parts.
    OR...you just don't do it well.

I know that option exists. I specifically said that, given that deleting an email on my BB device PERMANENTLY deletes it (aka DOES NOT move it to the trash bin) I will have to turn that option off, lest I risk permanently deleting data.
    I would suggest making use of Trash folder sync from the Hub per email account rather than delete but you probably know about that too. Right?
    In any case, my suggestions end here. Good luck to ya.

*George Jetson voice*
    "Jane! Get me off this crazy thiiiiing!!"

Posted via CB10
    anon(5990673) and lpthomasson like this.
    04-02-15 03:22 PM
    Yeah, I have to admit that this is really idiotic. Somebody at BlackBerry should take a look at the iPhone and see how managing of individual messages should be done. The other thing I don't understand is why they removed the ability to select portion of the text in a message. It's all or nothing.
    Actually, what OP describes is wrong, if it's from the hub, that "one message" IS the thread. He compares it to deleting an email, unfortunately if it's an SMS, it isn't at all like an email, it's in conversation form. He'll have to open the conversation, the long press the individual message, of if he has a draft, just press the delete to clear the text in the entry field...

anon(5990673) and southlander like this.
    04-02-15 03:22 PM
    Hey Tim_Treo,

This thread is hilarious!

I completely understand your suggestions and they all make sense to me.

I'm laughing at everyone else who doesn't understand what you are saying and are attacking you instead.

I'm gonna just hang back and watch this gong show of a thread continue.

Keep it up everyone!

Posted via CB10
    So we are the ones that are misunderstanding that a message saying this will end the conversation and delete the messages, and it doing exactly that, that it isn't doing anything wrong?

So you are one of the people complaining about your computer and devices always having things install "on their own" on your computer and how it keeps getting slower "on its own" right? All of those toolbars in your browser installed "on their own" as well right? Lol

Last edited by slagman5; 04-02-15 at 03:49 PM.
    anon(5990673) and Kimberella like this.
    04-02-15 03:25 PM
274 ... 23456 ...