So, I had a half finished text message that I had started to compose but never finished.Later I selected this text in the Hub by long pressing on the message. This brought up the 'Delete' option. My intention was just to delete this message, not all of the text messages I had ever had with this person.

I selected delete. A dialog pops up asking me to confirm. Of course, thinking this is just like the normal 'confirm' when deleting a single email message, I quickly hit the confirm button.

It's actually not. It asking to confirm deleting All MESSAGES from this person from time immemorial. If that is not bad enough, I quickly realized my mistake but there is no additional dialog popping up for a few seconds allowing one to undo the delete like it does when deleting an email.

I just deleted six months worth of text messages and there is no way of getting them back.

This is inexcusable. Blackberry is a the bottom of the heap in the smartphones war and deleting all text messages should not be so easy, especially for a company that claims to be focused on communications. Maybe I am missing something here, but I googled, and I'm pretty sure I am not.

I am super pissed.
    Pravin1 and wtj like this.
    04-01-15 02:01 PM
    Guess you're new to BlackBerry. Welcome :-)

End Chat has always worked like that, was same even on OS7.

 Q5 / Z30
    04-01-15 02:08 PM
    Sorry about what happened, but what the device did seems logical to me. If I wanted to delete a line of text, I would go into my thread and delete the line - I wouldn't long press the thread itself.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.281
    04-01-15 02:09 PM
    Sorry about what happened, but what the device did seems logical to me. If I wanted to delete a line of text, I would go into my thread and delete the line - I wouldn't long press the thread itself.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.281
    I didn't long press the 'thread'. I long pressed a SINGLE message showing up in the Hub, just like when deleting a single email.

This is really crap UI. Someone should be shot.
    wtj likes this.
    04-01-15 02:14 PM
    I didn't long press the 'thread'. I long pressed a SINGLE message showing up in the Hub, just like when deleting a single email.

Someone should be shot?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    04-01-15 02:18 PM
    Message on the hub is just a representation of the last message received in the last text. When you open that message in the hub it opens all of the text messages of that person does it not?

Did you happen to back up your phone at all recently using link?
    southlander likes this.
    04-01-15 02:18 PM

Seems logical to me.
    That single message you pressed, contains all of the messages exchanged between you and the other person....
    Think about it, if every message created a new line in your inbox...would be horrible

Posted via CB10
    04-01-15 02:19 PM
    I feel for the poster but am wondering how long he's been a BlackBerry user?

Posted via CB10
    Demansy likes this.
    04-01-15 02:20 PM
    Sorry about what happened, OS is not at fault here. Clearly the user (you) had no idea how deleting a line in text or the whole conversation works.

I've added some screen shots clearly you can see the difference!!!

"End Chat' permanently deletes all messages. WTF!-img_20150401_221903.png

"End Chat' permanently deletes all messages. WTF!-img_20150401_221855.png

Passport 
    04-01-15 02:21 PM
    Message on the hub is just a representation of the last message received in the last text. When you open that message in the hub it opens all of the text messages of that person does it not?
    No, sorry I don't agree that's a justification for the UI choice here.

For instance, If I have a email conversation thread, selecting an email in that thread deletes that particular email and not every email in the conversation thread. A reasonable person will expect text messages to work the same way.

This UI is forcing the user to manage two separate mental models regarding messaging, with no real world gain as far as I can tell. That's bad in ordinary circumstances, but when the inconsistency leads to permanently deleting data, it goes from bad to inexcusable.
    eldrover likes this.
    04-01-15 02:30 PM
    In SMS you're able to delete individual texts because they're sent as individual "files" so deleting it is easy. While I'm sure it can be done for instant messaging apps I've never seen it done. Not way back on Live Messenger or even BBM.
    04-01-15 02:30 PM
    Sorry about what happened, OS is not at fault here. Clearly the user (you) had no idea how deleting a line in text or the whole conversation works.

I've added some screen shots clearly you can see the difference!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150401_221903.png 
Views:	5356 
Size:	130.5 KB 
ID:	345018

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150401_221855.png 
Views:	5353 
Size:	106.1 KB 
ID:	345019

Passport 
    Thanks, but I am not an *****. I've got it figured out now. The OS (painfully) demonstrated the difference.

And that is still no explanation about why it doesn't offer an 'undelete' option like it does when deleting an email.
    04-01-15 02:33 PM
    I feel for the poster but am wondering how long he's been a BlackBerry user?

Posted via CB10
    So, are only old Blackberry users supposed to use newer Blackberry devices?
    wtj likes this.
    04-01-15 02:34 PM
    Email is entirely different then SMS
    wtj likes this.
    04-01-15 02:37 PM
    In SMS you're able to delete individual texts because they're sent as individual "files" so deleting it is easy. While I'm sure it can be done for instant messaging apps I've never seen it done. Not way back on Live Messenger or even BBM.
    This is on SMS.

I don't use BBM.
    04-01-15 02:38 PM
    Emails are bunched in a thread as you say its an individual message that happens to add previous replys from the original email!
    04-01-15 02:38 PM
    So, are only old Blackberry users supposed to use newer Blackberry devices?
    No. They're just implying that that's how it works and has always worked. An older BlackBerry user would know that. Someone who just picked up BB10 for the first time, would not. Now you know. Not much you can do about it now except use it the way it works, arguing the right and wrong of the method isn't helping you get the messages back either way.
    04-01-15 02:40 PM
    Emails are bunched in a thread as you say its an individual message that happens to add previous replys from the original email!
    Really? Wow. I'm glad you're here to tell me these things. I would have never have guessed.

I GET the difference between email and SMS.

I am complaining about the Blackberry UI choice, not that SMS and email are different protocols.
    RLTurn77 likes this.
    04-01-15 02:42 PM
    Regardless of what you think is right or wrong or dont agree with UI...It is what it is and thats how they work and if you want your messages back then the only way is if you have a recent backup on link.
    04-01-15 02:43 PM
    Really? Wow. I'm glad you're here to tell me these things. I would have never have guessed.
    Lose your terrible attitude. You're mad the messages are gone, fine. Don't be a jerk. Deal with it.
    04-01-15 02:43 PM

I GET the difference between email and SMS.

I am complaining about the Blackberry UI choice, not that SMS and email are different protocols.
    You complained about SMS and then didnt like my response only to come back and then compare SMS to EMAIL then you go and say you know the difference between the two?
    maddie1128 likes this.
    04-01-15 02:45 PM
    No. They're just implying that that's how it works and has always worked. An older BlackBerry user would know that. Someone who just picked up BB10 for the first time, would not. Now you know. Not much you can do about it now except use it the way it works, arguing the right and wrong of the method isn't helping you get the messages back either way.
    Well, you're sure right about that. There is nothing I can do to get the messages back.

Maybe complaining will get the Blackberry UI designers attention and they will change the behavior and realize that newish users will reasonably think about how things work.

(Please, please explain to me why they couldn't have at least had the 'Undo' dialog pop for a few seconds like when deleting a single email. It seems like deleting an ENTIRE six months worth of messages would have at least as many safeguards as deleting a single email.)
    greenberry666 likes this.
    04-01-15 02:47 PM
    Lose your terrible attitude. You're mad the messages are gone, fine. Don't be a jerk. Deal with it.
    Fine, I'll tone it down, but this really is bad choice on Blackbery's part.
    04-01-15 02:48 PM
    The confirmation prompt seemed pretty straight forward to me, but I agree that there should be an undo option available for a few seconds to at least give you a chance to recover from the mistake.
    04-01-15 02:56 PM
    Or, even better an undo option after its deleted and an option to only delete that one TXT, completed or uncompleted.

One thing I don't like about BB10 is if you start to create a TXT by searching for a contact in the HUB then decide to not send it there's no way to delete the "place holder" for that TXT.

Seems sloppy to me.

� T-Mobile  вιaсĸвεггч� Passport � Autoloaded 10.3.1.2582 � � Sachesi upgraded to 10.3.1.2708 �
    Bonnie Bonzai likes this.
    04-01-15 02:59 PM
274 123 ...