This is not some huge achievement but it might help others, as many posts have helped me: better to contribute something constructive and not another we're doooomed or we're in deniaaaaal and I need my muuuuum rant.

So I wanted to encrypt my Passport but every time I tried it seemed to overheat and the battery didn't last long, so I reverted. I had the nagging feeling it had something to do with android apps, and since I wasn't using all of them I decided to try the bare minimum. The next step would have been to nuke the Passport to its factory state, to completely remove Cobalt232's otherwise excellent Play Store alternative and go "pure BB10" or "bare naked", depending on your perspective.

What I removed was VLC, Simplenote, Firefox, Snapseed, EOS remote. My only remaining Play Store apps are Barcode scanner, Google authenticator, ColorNote, Telegram. From the Amazon Appstore I removed Easy Voice recorder pro, Kindle (which was previously problematic), Paper camera, Soundcloud, Trello. The Passport hasn't overheated and the battery is at 55% on day two (so 48 hours running).

I use Google Authenticator all the time and it requires Barcode Scanner, Colornote I could switch to something else, Telegram works but doesn't like the passport's input. Whatsapp is going to be a hassle if the android version depends on Play Services and such.
    07-28-16 06:02 PM
    I have snapseed as well, it causes no problem at all. You can install it if you want to use it.
    The apps that caused a problem for me were the android browser, android mobile network, Google play services and Google whitelist. I installed all these to try and run pokemon go, but experienced severe battery drains on my new passport.
    Removed all and the battery is back to normal. Don't know which one was the culprit, but won't be installing them again. Just the playstore solution works fine for my needs.

Posted via CB10
    07-29-16 02:17 AM
    Nice! Just FYI, there is a native authenticator app: https://appworld.blackberry.com/webs...countrycode=CA

Posted via CB10
    07-29-16 05:36 AM
    I have snapseed as well, it causes no problem at all. You can install it if you want to use it.
    The apps that caused a problem for me were the android browser, android mobile network, Google play services and Google whitelist.
    Good to know!
    07-29-16 10:05 AM
    Nice! Just FYI, there is a native authenticator app: https://appworld.blackberry.com/webs...countrycode=CA

Posted via CB10
    Thanks, yeah I saw that one, not great reviews, does it work for you?
    07-29-16 10:06 AM
    This is not some huge achievement but it might help others, as many posts have helped me: better to contribute something constructive and not another we're doooomed or we're in deniaaaaal and I need my muuuuum rant.

So I wanted to encrypt my Passport but every time I tried it seemed to overheat and the battery didn't last long, so I reverted. I had the nagging feeling it had something to do with android apps, and since I wasn't using all of them I decided to try the bare minimum. The next step would have been to nuke the Passport to its factory state, to completely remove Cobalt232's otherwise excellent Play Store alternative and go "pure BB10" or "bare naked", depending on your perspective.

What I removed was VLC, Simplenote, Firefox, Snapseed, EOS remote. My only remaining Play Store apps are Barcode scanner, Google authenticator, ColorNote, Telegram. From the Amazon Appstore I removed Easy Voice recorder pro, Kindle (which was previously problematic), Paper camera, Soundcloud, Trello. The Passport hasn't overheated and the battery is at 55% on day two (so 48 hours running).

I use Google Authenticator all the time and it requires Barcode Scanner, Colornote I could switch to something else, Telegram works but doesn't like the passport's input. Whatsapp is going to be a hassle if the android version depends on Play Services and such.
    Can you not use BB's Smart Tags app instead of a GP Barcode Scanner? I have never needed another app for my purpose. Just wondering not criticising!
    07-29-16 11:11 AM
    Thanks, yeah I saw that one, not great reviews, does it work for you?
    Yep, like a charm! I think the low reviews are a result of not knowing how to set it up. Just follow the directions from Google apps when setting 2 step verification. Enter the key and type, and you should be good to go.
    07-29-16 01:37 PM
    Can you not use BB's Smart Tags app instead of a GP Barcode Scanner? I have never needed another app for my purpose. Just wondering not criticising!
    Thanks, I think Google Authenticator wants barcode scanner, I had uninstalled it and it requested it... I had no idea Smart tags could do that I thought it was only for NFC stuff! The shame!
    brookie229 likes this.
    07-30-16 11:02 AM
    Yep, like a charm! I think the low reviews are a result of not knowing how to set it up. Just follow the directions from Google apps when setting 2 step verification. Enter the key and type, and you should be good to go.
    Thanks, I'll give it a go.
    mh1983 likes this.
    07-30-16 11:03 AM
    It seems to work fine!
    mh1983 likes this.
    07-31-16 11:53 AM