Hi,

I started to encrypt my microSD card. It has been 15+ hours and it is still encrypting due to the large amount of files. Once it is encrypted I assume I will be access teh microSD card normally with my BlackBerry device as long as I don't wife my device. However, if someone was to plug it into card reader and connect it to a PC, what will they see? Files that are no readable? Or nothing?
    05-10-17 06:12 AM
    Depends....

Maybe no shown anything and want to format the card.... or it may show files that mean nothing.

I would STRONGLY suggest you keep up with a good data backup routine.
    coffee-turtle likes this.
    05-10-17 09:25 AM
    Files cannot be accessed when the sd card is removed from your phone. They will see nothing other than a message stating the sd card cannot be read do you want to format it.

They can be accessed if someone has your phone, attaches to pc via USB cable and has your phone unlock code.

I will highly recommend backing up your sd card contents unencrypted.
    If your phone stops working your sd card can never be accessed. You don't need to unencrypt your files to backup. Just connect phone to pc and backup from there. File transfers from your encrypted sd card to your pc will save files unencrypted.

Posted via CB10
    05-10-17 10:06 AM
    Definitely back up those files! Remember that encryption means that the entire encryption system must remain the same and perfectly functional, or access to your encrypted files will be lost forever. I recommend not even removing the SD card from the phone unless it's been backed up. And whatever you do, do not forget your password!
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    05-10-17 12:11 PM
    Definitely back up those files! Remember that encryption means that the entire encryption system must remain the same and perfectly functional, or access to your encrypted files will be lost forever. I recommend not even removing the SD card from the phone unless it's been backed up. And whatever you do, do not forget your password!
    I lost three SD Cards due to some "issues" that ended up meaning I lost all data on that Card (back in BBOS Days and early Z10). With a non-encrypted Card, you may lose some data, but I've never lost it all.

Think it better to keep data on the internal drive encrypted and just use the SD for normal files... if at all possible.

Why I think BlackBerry should have offered phones with larger internal memory.... like another fruit company does.
    05-10-17 02:24 PM
    Encrypting the device is absolutely solid and will render the data useless to anybody. If you lose the phone, wipe the phone, move the SD card etc, the data is toast. If the phone dies while the phones encrypted, the data is toast.

Posted via CB10 Passport
    05-13-17 07:17 PM