Curious to know how many Passport (or even BB10 users in general) turn on the encryption option in the settings?

Is it useful as a consumer that doesn't use their device for work? Any downsides to turning encryption on?

I was browsing the settings and was looking at this option. As of now I have all app permissions off, location off, etc. as I do respect my privacy. I do have some pictures on my device that contain personal information. Was just wondering what the encryption option actually is functional for and if any consumers use this setting.

Posted via CB10
    11-20-14 01:40 AM
    The encryption option is phone encryption. It will encrypt the files on your phone. The major downside to this is a slight delay in writing/reading files cause they first need to be decrypted/encrypted.

If you carry Top Secret files on your phone I'd say encrypt, otherwise I'd suggest to get a device password, a 1 min timeout time + 3 max passwords attempts for adequate device security.
    bakron1 likes this.
    11-20-14 04:13 AM
    I'm encrypted.
    Looks like Android and iOS will be offering this as their standard in future

Posted via CB10
    11-20-14 05:40 AM
    Got encryption as well. Otherwise all the nude pics on the SD card are easily accessible if you lose your device.

Just remember to decrypt when using autoloader...

Posted via CB10
    11-20-14 05:42 AM
    Got encryption as well. Otherwise all the nude pics on the SD card are easily accessible if you lose your device.

Just remember to decrypt when using autoloader...

Posted via CB10
    Encryption of your SD card and encryption of your device are two separate things!
    And they'll still be easily accessible if you lose your device and haven't set a sensible device password.

Encrypting your device or SD card is useless if you don't properly protect access to your device in the first place.

If I lose my phone and have device and SD card encryption enabled but the person who finds it can freely access my device because I was stupid enough to use an easy password he/she will see all my files, pictures, etc... when I remove the encrypted SD Card from the phone and lose it a third party won't be able to view it without the specific phone I encrypted it with.

I find device encryption too much as a normal device password does the exact same without the delay. SD Card encryption is useful if you regularly take out your SD card but for the people who don't, a sensible device password is more than adequate and has the bonus of not slowing down your phone.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by wout000; 11-20-14 at 08:17 AM.
    11-20-14 06:13 AM
    I understand the point about having a device password, but how much of a resource drain (battery), and performance impact is there? I mean, is it noticeable?

From the days of yore, when 'Black'Berrys were Blue.
    11-30-14 05:33 PM
    Well, I ended up putting the encryption on today. Haven't noticed anything different. This may be a stupid question, but are pictures encrypted somehow? Most of my more sensitive data are either in photos (quick way to document) or emails. Not sure how that would work... thanks for those that have any idea :-)

Also, not sure if the encryption makes the device safer for those concerned with android apps and permissions.

Posted via CB10
    12-01-14 09:10 PM
    I've used it on all BB10 devices and releases. It's worth it IMHO -- but I do NOT use it on the SD card.

Then again I don't store anything I care about on the SD card.... just my music and such, which is not sensitive. Anything sensitive goes on the device.
    12-01-14 11:01 PM