Hello all,

I am in to the process of potentially buying a used Passport SE from a fellow CB member.

What would I look for in the infamous "Emergency Call Only" problem?? It's a Passport SE that is being described as being in Excellent conditon.

My previous Passport SE I had for approx 3 years with zero issues, the only issue I had was it appears to be stuck in a boot mode and the red light flashes. I will need to go down the data recovery route for this phone as I can't wipe the photos.

Anything else to look for? It isn't a local sale so it's not a phone I can test prior to buying. Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    11-07-19 02:25 PM
    Hello all,

I am in to the process of potentially buying a used Passport SE from a fellow CB member.

What would I look for in the infamous "Emergency Call Only" problem?? It's a Passport SE that is being described as being in Excellent conditon.

My previous Passport SE I had for approx 3 years with zero issues, the only issue I had was it appears to be stuck in a boot mode and the red light flashes. I will need to go down the data recovery route for this phone as I can't wipe the photos.

Anything else to look for? It isn't a local sale so it's not a phone I can test prior to buying. Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    When I posted about this recently, I was criticized for saying this was a significant problem or concern although I disagree and share your concern.

The problem hasn’t really been officially acknowledged so no symptomatic data. Causal effects are considered to be running ART hard with apks or similar but different operations that cause other types of device overheating. Supposedly the overheating causes problems with mobile radio and/or the mobile antenna leading to WiFi only capabilities. I’m sure others could explain far better. Since device is used, how does one know how previous owner used the device? Also, each device can’t be exactly the same. Like the KEYone screen pop and Key2 capacitive PKB, it’s statistical odds mixed with human opinions.
    11-07-19 02:36 PM
    When I posted about this recently, I was criticized for saying this was a significant problem or concern although I disagree and share your concern.

The problem hasn’t really been officially acknowledged so no symptomatic data. Causal effects are considered to be running ART hard with apks or similar but different operations that cause other types of device overheating. Supposedly the overheating causes problems with mobile radio and/or the mobile antenna leading to WiFi only capabilities. I’m sure others could explain far better. Since device is used, how does one know how previous owner used the device? Also, each device can’t be exactly the same. Like the KEYone screen pop and Key2 capacitive PKB, it’s statistical odds mixed with human opinions.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Posted via CB10
    11-07-19 03:15 PM
    I'd suggest to ask the buyer about the battery condition. If he does not have any app to check the battery health (they probably all gone from BBW) than at least what was the date of the original purchase.
    New battery price is not too high but it's still a part of total costs.
    11-10-19 06:22 PM