Hi All,

I'm new to Blackberry and I got the Passport recently and I'm loving the device and the OS.

One thing that came up is I got a low memory warning today.I closed some apps and solved the problem, but this made me think: where is the email being stored on the device? In the 3GB ram or in the in the 32 GB internal flash storage?

I ask because I'd like to set my IMAP emails sync timeframe to 'Forever'. Of course this will mean downloading about 6 GB worth of emails/attachments. I am guessing this is possible if the emails are stored on the 32 GB internal flash storage, but not the 3GB of RAM of course.

Related question: assuming I can download the data onto the 32 GB internal flash, is performance going to take a massive hit when accessing /searching the email? I can partition the emails in my IMAP email account into IMAP folders (one for each year, for instance), so this might be a way to keep individual folders a manageable size.

Many thanks for the help as I familiarize myself with Blackberry.
    Tim
    12-10-14 04:39 PM
    Do you have 6GB of mail in your Inbox?

It is only the inbox that is synced by default, but on some systems you can still search in external mail in other folders and that way have access to everything

The 3GB of memory is same as RAM on your computer, is only used for OS and running apps, not storage area for anything.

So whatever you store on the device, mail, contacts, system cache, apps, app data - is from the 32GB area...

but you should have no problem with 6GB of email, for whatever reasons you would have to store that locally on your phone.

I would suggest that you start categorizing your email, store it in folders, and make a system for yourself to archive what you need to store etc, - and keep the Inbox as clean as you can to any given time.
    12-10-14 07:46 PM
    You don't need to sync forever, I find that a couple of months will do. If you do need to look up files beyond the two months use the search functionality where BlackBerry is able to search all emails even those that are not within the two months sync period.

But to answer your question, it is stored in the 32gb memory that came with your phone.

Posted via CB10
    12-11-14 12:15 AM
    Zedd, Morton - Thanks for the responses. That makes sense. I went ahead and divided my massive inbox to separate folders and set the sync timeframe to 'Forever'.

One problem though. It downloaded the email headers but not the body of the email itself. I have to be connected in order for see the full message. I confirmed by switching to airplane mode.

Any ideas anyone?

Tim
    12-11-14 04:58 PM
    You'll need to adjust that in the settings for the account. See below:

Email storage location on the Passport-img_20141211_185103.png
    12-11-14 05:52 PM
    You don't need to sync forever, I find that a couple of months will do. If you do need to look up files beyond the two months use the search functionality where BlackBerry is able to search all emails even those that are not within the two months sync period.

Posted via CB10
    I thought Remote Search only works on Exchange Activesync accounts, not IMAP. At least that is the case for me in 10.2.1.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    12-11-14 07:02 PM
    i set mine to forever but i had thousands of emails in my inbox. my passport se has been running hot nonstop, high battery drain, and no more storage space.

i found out by clicking "B" for bottom in Hub and found email headings from 4 yrs ago...

I changed it back to 90 days but the storage problem is still there. also my phone settings started resetting - quick settings reset to default, alarms all disappeared...

lesson: don't set your email to "forever"!
    08-04-17 03:30 PM