Got this from Amazon. I downloaded the android version of Facebook and it works quite well. I don't get why they keep blocking perfectly functioning apps.

Email from Amazon: Facebook app not optimized for Passport-img_20141013_190842.png

Posted via CB10
    10-13-14 06:10 PM
    I wonder if that's part of the deal with BlackBerry? If there's a native equivalent in BB World, then that's the version that gets pushed...
    10-13-14 06:30 PM
    Also not candy Crush:

Email from Amazon: Facebook app not optimized for Passport-img_20141014_013534.png

Posted via CB10
    10-13-14 06:36 PM
    I would use snap anyways... Pretty much all of Amazon's android apps are out of date at any given time unless they haven't been updated in a while. Even as an android user the Amazon app store is fairly bad....
    10-13-14 06:37 PM
    I would use snap anyways... Pretty much all of Amazon's android apps are out of date at any given time unless they haven't been updated in a while. Even as an android user the Amazon app store is fairly bad....
    Sure, but the problem is that the amazon store is the one that's preloaded and most new buyers may not be aware of Snap.

On the one hand, there are some apps that really don't work well (mostly games). It's prudent for them to hide those from Passport users until they are optimized. But there are many apps that work just fine (like facebook, netflix, etc), that don't show up for the Passport.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-14 06:45 PM
    Sure, but the problem is that the amazon store is the one that's preloaded and most new buyers may not be aware of Snap.
    Oh i'm not saying it's an end-user solution. There likely will never be a solution good enough for your general end user... A lot of people probably won't ever even sign in to the Amazon app store (and even if they do it's a crap shoot if the apps work or not). That situation is a lost cause.
    10-13-14 06:49 PM
    Got this from Amazon. I downloaded the android version of Facebook and it works quite well. I don't get why they keep blocking perfectly functioning apps.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141013_190842.png 
Views:	2029 
Size:	183.6 KB 
ID:	305781

Posted via CB10
    I wonder if that's part of the deal with BlackBerry? If there's a native equivalent in BB World, then that's the version that gets pushed...
    That does not explain the lack of many apps not available on BB World, like Netflix, Tripadvisor, Instagram, PayPal, etc.
    10-13-14 06:56 PM
    That does not explain the lack of many apps not available on BB World, like Netflix, Tripadvisor, Instagram, PayPal, etc.
    That's just because those developers don't view the BB user base as relevant enough to bother publishing their apps in BB appworld.
    10-13-14 07:12 PM
    That's just because those developers don't view the BB user base as relevant enough to bother publishing their apps in BB appworld.
    That was the whole point of having access to the amazon app store... lol

Posted via CB10
    dejanh and anon(4044683) like this.
    10-13-14 07:20 PM
    Yeah, definitely nothing to do with whether it's available on BlackBerry world or not. But it definitely confirms that they are being blocked on purpose by either BlackBerry, Amazon or both.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-14 07:21 PM
    LOL... I only now realized that they gave me a $5 credit for "my inconvenience".

Posted via CB10
    10-13-14 07:27 PM
    That was the whole point of having access to the amazon app store... lol

Posted via CB10
    One problem with that solution is a lot of developers can't be bothered to publish to Amazon appstore either... It has a different license check, different google integration, different approval policy, etc.

Pretty sure Blackberry must be involved here because i've never seen a policy like this in the Amazone store before now.
    10-13-14 07:27 PM
    One problem with that solution is a lot of developers can't be bothered to publish to Amazon appstore either... It has a different license check, different google integration, different approval policy, etc.

Pretty sure Blackberry must be involved here because i've never seen a policy like this in the Amazone store before now.
    Yes, everyone has been aware of the shortcomings of the amazon app store. However prior to the amazon app store being officially part of a blackberry, you were always able to access all the apps with any previous bb10 device running the app store.

Guess it's just kinda lame to see it take a step backwards when it finally becomes official.

Posted via CB10
    dejanh likes this.
    10-13-14 07:31 PM
    LOL... I only now realized that they gave me a $5 credit for "my inconvenience".

Posted via CB10
    Use that buy Printhand if you don't have it already...

Using PP and Z10
    pgg101 and AnimalPak200 like this.
    10-13-14 07:32 PM
    This platform pretty much relies on people doing various workarounds as it stands anyways... I've all but accepted having to patch .apk files and sideloading crap as a normal process and i've had this device a matter of days.

Good luck to all the regular users out there, I hope you don't need much installed on your phone.
    10-13-14 07:34 PM
    This platform pretty much relies on people doing various workarounds as it stands anyways... I've all but accepted having to patch .apk files and sideloading crap as a normal process and i've had this device a matter of days.

Good luck to all the regular users out there, I hope you don't need much installed on your phone.
    Eh... part of why I love this platform and have very little interest on iOS (which is the complete opposite). I mean, my iPod touch is great... it just works for the things it was designed to do,... and that's about it.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-14 07:45 PM
    The $5 credit was a nice touch!

Posted via CB10
    10-13-14 08:13 PM
    I was thinking Amazon App Store will reduce the app gap, but now the important apps are blocked. I can see this drama will never end. I would be interested to hear official comment from BlackBerry regarding this situation.
    dejanh likes this.
    10-13-14 08:44 PM
    It could be worse, you could have native apps blocked and be forced to use android versions, which is the case with the Passport and rovio games for example...
    10-13-14 08:49 PM
    I was thinking Amazon App Store will reduce the app gap, but now the important apps are blocked. I can see this drama will never end. I would be interested to hear official comment from BlackBerry regarding this situation.
    Yeah, well, good luck with that. Blackberry is aware of this problem but has apparently not made any statements about it. When it comes to customer service, communication is not blackberry's strong suit. This is just another thing working to sabotage the possible success of Blackberry. Most end users aren't going to load SNAP. They're going to use the official store, and they'll see that their most important apps aren't available. Personally I think this is potentially much more of a disaster for Blackberry than these transitory inventory screw-ups. To adversities the availability of apps on the amazon app store and then ship only a crippled version of it, well that's borderline false advertising. I know this sort of thing might take time to fix, but I do hope blackberry is on it, and that they are able to fix it ASAP.
    dejanh likes this.
    10-13-14 10:54 PM
    Another conspiracy

OS 10.3 White Passport on Bell Network
    10-13-14 11:02 PM
    The saga with BlackBerry continues. That's all I have to say to all of this...it's a joke.

"Look we got the apps!" followed by "Gotcha! We were just joking...the apps are there, but they are not accessible from your device...ha ha!"
    10-14-14 12:15 AM
    The saga with BlackBerry continues. That's all I have to say to all of this...it's a joke.

"Look we got the apps!" followed by "Gotcha! We were just joking...the apps are there, but they are not accessible from your device...ha ha!"
    Haha. More like, Passport Preloaded with Amazon Appstore but can't download high quality apps. BlackBerry should take initiative to fix this. Can't blame the developers if they prohibit the apps from BB10 cause they don't want to take any risks or complaints. Just look at the Viber 10 app on the BB World, the app works perfectly fine but the reviews are flooded with "One star because it is an Android port". If it goes on like this Devs will fear to support BlackBerry.
    Last edited by arvind1983; 10-14-14 at 08:42 AM. Reason: added quote
    10-14-14 08:41 AM
    Haha. More like, Passport Preloaded with Amazon Appstore but can't download high quality apps. BlackBerry should take initiative to fix this. Can't blame the developers if they prohibit the apps from BB10 cause they don't want to take any risks or complaints. Just look at the Viber 10 app on the BB World, the app works perfectly fine but the reviews are flooded with "One star because it is an Android port". If it goes on like this Devs will fear to support BlackBerry.
    Well, on Amazon at least any claims of being an "android port" will be rendered moot. So at least there's that.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-14 09:56 AM
    They're removing a lot of apps from the Amazon Appstore as Passport compatible now...
    Several games that previously installed are no longer even searchable.
    10-15-14 02:09 PM
33 12