Be Honest in the past 8 years has RimBerry ever not been a disappointing. If they drop the ball on the Passport they should just make iphones like Thors Z10.
    10-09-14 05:30 PM
    And to anyone who says, look at the Z10 write down etc. BAD excuse. Nothing on BlackBerry, but they are not ferrari, where "place your order and we will make and ship in a time period". This is the cell phone business. YOU make extra, the chance you have to take. There was a problem somewhere in this whole process.

Posted via CB10
    And this comment shows how ignorant you are about the business world. You make extra. "Poof" the magic happens. Brilliant. Tell that to the board, genius..
    Everyone has a valid complaint if they order a product and are kept out of the loop. No question. Pisses everyone off. Chen said openly(video interview with some woman around launch time ) that BlackBerry, conservatively estimated, that they would hopefully sell a quarter million by January . If that doesn't explain anything to all of you then your all hopeless.

Posted via CB10
    D3C0D3R and bungaboy like this.
    10-09-14 08:06 PM
    I agree, it's better having too less(Chen) than too much(Thor) but Chen needs to get his team communicating to customers. All a customer wants is, "sorry the shipment is going to be delayed for a week" or something. When the customer has to contact them only to not get a straight answer, that's when it becomes an issue and customers get angry.
    Agreed. Problems always happen, but good communication and client-management skills can turn an angry client into an understanding client.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    10-10-14 11:24 AM
    The Indian Amazon store is giving out their customers estimated dates. While in the US we sit in the dark waiting for November 14th when we ordered on the 26th of September.
    10-10-14 01:47 PM
    The Indian Amazon store is giving out their customers estimated dates. While in the US we sit in the dark waiting for November 14th when we ordered on the 26th of September.

November 14th? Where did that date come from?

Posted via CB10
    10-10-14 01:53 PM
    That's supposedly the closest ship date that Amazon "flashed" on their website while I was about to buy the Passport through them. What's odd is that the message that states "get it before november 14th" disappeared an hour or so later when I bit the bullet and ordered it.
    10-10-14 02:16 PM
    You don't just stock the passport and have more inventory then you can sell. You replenish once it's sold out and it's better for them to do that. Not BlackBerry fault that you're too slow to purchase when it was in stock on their site.

Posted via CB10
    There are two ways of killing a business.
    a) purchase too much inventory and being forced to write off unsold inventory in large quantities - which BB had to do in the past
    b) Your scenario

You do not replenish when you are out. There is something which is called inventory management. You re-order based on what you have in stock, volume of your order book and your supplier's capacity and ability to resupply you.

You never ever let yourself run out of stock. That is a great way of turning customers to the competition.

The only time a company should run out of stock is if they sell a discontinued item. I would say that 90% of companies have an inventory write off at one point or another. The art of running a business is to keep that write off as low as possible.

You always want to have backorders as well but based on your supply channels you want to keep your customers informed. There is no secret to inventory management these days. Every mom and pop store has to do that. And communication with your customers is of utmost importance.
    10-10-14 03:05 PM
    That's supposedly the closest ship date that Amazon "flashed" on their website while I was about to buy the Passport through them. What's odd is that the message that states "get it before november 14th" disappeared an hour or so later when I bit the bullet and ordered it.
    Wow that sure is a long wait.......

Posted via CB10
    10-10-14 03:35 PM
    Just got an email. "We are writing to inform you that we will begin shipping devices by October 29th." It's bittersweet. On the one hand, it's a long time, on the other, at least I know.

Posted with two cups and a piece of string.
    awindsr likes this.
    10-10-14 05:16 PM
    What is very surprising is that BBRY seems to not control its outsourcing partners concerning the production's lines.
    At this level, BBRY should be aware of the total units that each line can produce per day. Then, BBRY can communicate to wholesalers and retailers about an estimated delivery time.

The current situation just suggests to customers that BBRY even doesn't know what happens within its outsourcing partners... which may be the worst situation.

I've taken my chance and sent an e-mail to John Chen to express my disappointment about the lack of communication from BBRY. I don't really attend a reply from him though.

EDIT: There's maybe a quality problem on the production lines that could delay the production and then the delivery.
    I'd be interested in reading the email to sent to Chen, if you want to share (totally fine if you don't).

My take is, this may be a "Perfect strom" for BBRY of more than one thing going on including more demand than forecasted. It could also be a physical issue with their production lines/quality and lack of capacity to scale. However, there appears to also be an issue with the MRP/ATP software digital river is using to not confirm ship dates based on the supply, and potentially the software at their manufacturing partner and internally. Who knows for sure.

I've seen these types of issues before, and if so, it requires a lot of manual effort to manage the supply chain outside of the systems, fix the tools and then catch everything up.

Let's hope the hardest part is behind then, but if not, they should get there eventually if they have the right leadership (and I believe they do).

Posted via CB10
    10-10-14 08:30 PM

You do not replenish when you are out. There is something which is called inventory management. You re-order based on what you have in stock, volume of your order book and your supplier's capacity and ability to resupply you.

You never ever let yourself run out of stock. That is a great way of turning customers to the competition.
    This is easier said than done for a manufacturing situation with low production volume runs. Assuming that after launch day BlackBerry is on the ball and realizes they need 1 million more phones. They can't just pick up the phone and order phones from a warehouse. It takes time to order the components and then to restart a production line.

Adjusting production for demand is easier for companies with large volume productions, such as Apple or Samsung. They can just stockpile a certain amount of components and then ramp production up or down, theoretically without any discontinuities.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    10-12-14 02:47 AM
    Here's what I wrote to Mr. Chen:

"Dear Mr Chen,

I would like to express my disappointment concerning the availability of the
    Blackberry Passport in France. Since the grand opening you made few weeks ago,
    Blackberry's order processing has been a disaster. It is clearly impossible to
    order a single device.

This is obviously a good news for BBRY to get shortages on the Passport and I
    would like to thank you for bringing your customers a device that meets our
    prdouctivity needs.

You must understand that I am not complaining about the shortages but what is
    the most frustating is not getting any single update from Blackberry about the
    production lines as well as a clear estimated delivery time for your customers.

I hope that you will understand my complain and I would be grateful if you could
    let your customers know about the availability of your products.

Thank you in advance for your reply.

Yours faithfully,"
    gokulesh likes this.
    10-12-14 04:26 AM
    Here's what I wrote to Mr. Chen:

"Dear Mr Chen,

I would like to express my disappointment concerning the availability of the
    Blackberry Passport in France. Since the grand opening you made few weeks ago,
    Blackberry's order processing has been a disaster. It is clearly impossible to
    order a single device.

This is obviously a good news for BBRY to get shortages on the Passport and I
    would like to thank you for bringing your customers a device that meets our
    prdouctivity needs.

You must understand that I am not complaining about the shortages but what is
    the most frustating is not getting any single update from Blackberry about the
    production lines as well as a clear estimated delivery time for your customers.

I hope that you will understand my complain and I would be grateful if you could
    let your customers know about the availability of your products.

Thank you in advance for your reply.

Yours faithfully,"
    Thanks! Very reasonable. Please keep us posted if you receive a reply. They appear to be starting to communicate better.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-14 11:45 AM
    This email was surprising as I never put in a complaint. I did inquire a couple times about the status of the order but was never frustrated. I already have a passport and this one I was purchasing as a gift.

I did reply to her thanking her for the info and stated I understand the demand is high for the passport which is a good thing.

If this was my first passport I was purchasing and didn't have one, I more than likely would be upset.

I think it is a good thing that the passport is in high demand. I don't believe BlackBerry is throttling the supply chain to inflate demand.

Posted via CB10
    Attachment 305626
    10-13-14 01:02 AM
    ^ not sure posting such is a good idea in a public forum

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk
    10-13-14 01:06 AM
    ^ not sure posting such is a good idea in a public forum

I'm quite sure it's a generic email sent out.
    Many others must have received the same thing. If not and it's inappropriate, by all means the mods can take it down. No where in the email does it show her contact info as I placed a screenshot.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-14 01:16 AM
    Many others must have received the same thing. If not and it's inappropriate, by all means the mods can take it down. No where in the email does it show her contact info as I placed a screenshot.

Posted via CB10
    I received the same email as well and she was more then helpful. Yep many people that posted on the BlackBerry support forum got that email.

And I'm glad you didn't post her contact info..i wouldn't want her to be bombarded with so many emails.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-14 01:19 AM

Posted via CB10
    We just don't like ppls email addresses clickable on a post is all, no worries, carry on.

byex likes this.
    10-13-14 01:22 AM
    We just don't like ppls email addresses clickable on a post is all, no worries, carry on.

No problem. I did have it posted as text, cut and pasted the email. Quickly realised what I had done and replaced it with a screenshot.

Posted via CB10
    zocster likes this.
    10-13-14 01:23 AM
    10-13-14 09:51 PM
    I understand the frustrations people are experiencing by not having access to the supply of Passports. My heart goes out to you. What we are witnessing is something that the mobile industry has not seen since Apples entrance into the phone market. The Passport is a disruptor, a game changer. This device has created an excitement that is grass roots and will increase market share for BB. The Passport will open the markets eyes to BB OS10, something that has never happened before. This device is the gateway that will open doors for new and exciting models for BB.

I know many of you are upset but you need to realize we are all part of something special, an evolution of hardware/software that is gaining in popularity. Apple and Samsung have peaked and are out of fresh/bold ideas. BB is at the beginning of a revolution in design and software that is only beginning. Having a focus to address corporate users was brilliant, this allowed BB to listen to their core market and address their needs. This strategy will pay off, because the foundation BB has laid down with BB10 is solid.

I know that what we are seeing is real and epic, as no one has said F BB and their Passport, I am going to buy a Samsung or Apple! The wait will be tremendous but the reward will be satisfying!
    10-13-14 10:24 PM
    At the end of the day, we're still just talking about a small handheld mobile device that, while it's a nice convenience, isn't really all that important in the grand scheme of things.

It must drive you absolutely nuts having to wait to open Christmas presents, huh?

PonyCrazyKid likes this.
    10-14-14 01:52 PM
    I had already gone with samsung units due to the stock/out of stock ect. fiasco.
    but yersterday via AMAZING AMAZON I ORDERED IT AND
    NOW IT'S BEING SHIPPED.
    ORDER PLACED
    October 13, 2014
    Order Details Invoice
    Shipping now
    Delivery estimate: Thursday, October 16, 2014 by 8pm
    Hide
    Order Received - October 13, 2014 2:11 PM
    We are processing your shipment now. We'll send you an e-mail when it has shipped. You can still request cancellation if you’ve changed your mind.

P.S i'm still waiting for shopblackberry to refund my money for the two I previously ordered. yes they took the money out of account as soon as hit the send button. And had to escalated it with paypal.
    10-14-14 02:07 PM
    The more I read this thread the more confident I am regarding Passport sales. I mean, I read broken heart, disgusted, never-forget-they-dare, 'will consider other choice' ad libitum.
    But at the end of the day i'd bet a lot of beers (but order 1 for me for each) that 99% of inpatient will finally get the passport, just because... that's the best choice they ever made.

Relax, time will come you'll get yours and then enjoy this graceful moment, when you own a device that the crowd pray to get. BlackBerry will never mass produce it. Be happy if you're in the virtual line, at least you're *not* lining up in the street under the rain like idiots...

From darkness to pepite... what a change for BlackBerry !

Posted via CB10
    Edited, missing 'not' lol
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 10-14-14 at 03:00 PM.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    10-14-14 02:44 PM
    ahhhh, lostboy5151 - very true, but my phone is my only phone and it's definitely a work tool - used daily to contact and interview people. Calls, texting. now & then to send emails, definitely to read them (especially away from home office), some browsing. I think I watched a couple episodes of Gray's Anatomy last season - but never play games (hard enough to meet deadlines as it is!). The Passport is a beautiful device, and someday I will have it as a work tool. That day will be like Christmas Day and yeah, we can all benefit from some child-like joy! even if it's just a small handheld device! My 4s gives me agita in terms of my work and I want one of those bright shiny objects!!!
    10-14-14 02:51 PM
227 ... 78910