So I switched from the black hard shell to the white which got a lot of attention; more than the usual. Was enjoying the change until I was getting out of car and dropped the Passport for the first time. I didn't even want to pick it up. It took a hard fall. Of course I did and ended up with a completely cracked/broken white hard shell.

The corner of the shell was split in half. Went inside and inspected the entire device and not one ding or scratch. The black hard shell is currently on, but with the thread regarding the hard shell leaving a mark on the top of the device I may be switching to a cheap TPU. Hoping there is no damage from the hard shell now. I've switched between the black and white since I had the device. I guess around three months now so not looking forward to inspecting when I get a TPU case in.

Sucks that a case would do that. I haven't taken my hard shell off to check as I don't want to go on and off again with it, but love the hard shell which protected well, but seems like I would have been better off with a $5 TPU. Kinda frustrating from a resale point of view. My Z10 and Z30 were kept naked with a screen protector and pocket pouch and were mint when upgrading to the Passport. On my mind now as I just read that thread, but for a hard drop on painted concrete that split the hard shell in half... it did a great job protecting the device.

Posted via CB10
    refnor2000 likes this.
    12-24-14 12:27 AM
    Uhhh. Sounds to me it served its purpose and you got away lucky.
    Carjackd and mister2d like this.
    12-24-14 12:31 AM
    I love the hardshell! I have yet to drop the phone but I can only assume there is enough protection to keep the device mint.

Executive Producer of the Peevishlicious Crew via my Canadian Passport
    12-24-14 12:32 AM
    Agree110%

"May I see your Passport please?"
    12-24-14 12:33 AM
    I have to agree and for 17 bucks you can order a new one from Amazon

Executive Producer of the Peevishlicious Crew via my Canadian Passport
    12-24-14 12:35 AM
    Lucky u
    12-24-14 12:39 AM
    I was also deliberating on whether to put the hard case on because of the dinging problem.... finally put it on a few days ago and sure enough that night dropped it onto the floor... served it's purpose... even the case survived.... but yeah don't want to think about the two little marks the case surely would have left on the passport...

...Ten BlackBerrys and counting....
    12-24-14 12:45 AM
    Yup, I'm definitely thrilled regarding the protection. I do like the hard shell a lot, as I have said before, many that "play around" with my Passport don't even think that there is a case on it. Enjoyed using the Z series naked with the pouch. Definitely served its purpose!

I'll thank the hard shell and CB for this save since I purchased the white one from here. The phone must've landed just the right way or the hard shell offers more protection than I thought. The bottom right of the shell was split in half and it is pretty thick. The phone was inspected and perfect as far as I could see.

Going to have to wait until tomorrow to see; hoping I'll get a leather flip case, especially now as the other thread has me a bit concerned. If not, I'll likely check it out and see if it's worth switching to a TPU case, blah... not a big fan of them.

Planned on upgrading my mother from her Z10 to the Passport, but AT&T is still missing and can't justify the purchase right now (thought I'd be able to purchase a red Passport and pass this along)... unless I can get her to give up her old 4S. Overall glad that the hard shell did its job in case I can swing the upgrade. Sorry, went a bit off topic there as usual.

Posted via CB10
    12-24-14 12:57 AM
    I'm on my second hardshell case for the same reason. Top right corner split in half. I really think the Passport would have survived even without the case but not without some battle damage. I really think that the case broke equally because of how tough the Passport is and not just from the fall.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    12-24-14 02:24 AM
    Isn't this how a hard shell does it's job? The energy from the fall is dissipated in breaking the shell, if the shell was tougher the energy would be transferred the phone. Industrial/construction hard hats work on the same principle and have to be replaced after any significant knock

Posted via CB10
    12-24-14 06:32 AM
    I once had a phone with a fairly expensive hardshell case. I eventually dropped it and it landed on gravel, on the screen, which smashed. End of phone. I'm glad the OP's phone was saved but personally I'd never use a hard she'll again. The passport is heavy and the screen is huge. Full cases are classy, thin and offer better protection. Tetded all the way.

Posted via CB10
    12-24-14 07:14 AM
    A success story. These are so rare on CB.
    12-24-14 07:25 AM
    I had my first serious drop with my Passport in the OEM hard shell yesterday morning. I wiped out on the stairs (smacking my skull and cracking a rib) and watched my beloved Passport tumble end-over-end down the stairs, ending up face down on the metal leg of a coat rack. Three of the four corners of the case were scuffed, and there was a nice gouge in the Ghost Armor screen protector.

The device itself is unblemmished. The case and the Ghost Armor did their job. The gouge in the Ghost Armor is already mostly smoothed out -- it's somewhat self-healing.

As to the comment about the hard shell scuffing the Passport? I recall reading that post myself, and have seen it quoted too often in the forums. Perhaps that was a less-than-perfectly manufactured case? I've been using the hard shell since launch day, and have no such marks on my Passport. In any case (no pun intended), I wouldn't suggest avoiding the hard shell based on that one thread alone.
    12-24-14 09:26 AM
    How did you wipe out? Alcohol? Slippery socks on lacquered stairs? Cat?
    12-24-14 09:37 AM
    Carelessness. Missed the tripwire that my wife put across the stairs to my basement office. Or it might have been the socks thing.
    mister2d likes this.
    12-24-14 09:42 AM
    How did you wipe out? Alcohol? Slippery socks on lacquered stairs? Cat?
    Looking at the Passport instead of the stairs?

Celebrate diversity in phone choices, not homogeneity.
    mister2d likes this.
    12-24-14 09:44 AM
    Carelessness. Missed the tripwire that my wife put across the stairs to my basement office. Or it might have been the socks thing.
    I am all too familiar with the booby traps to the man cave. Lol
    12-24-14 10:18 AM
    Hello All,

I've been a passport owner since i could get my hands on one (mid October), for my job i am an onsite printer technician, a surprisingly rugged/damage to phone prone job. Thus far i have knocked my passport off many shelves, printers and tables (sometimes falling from one, then hitting the other then hitting the floor), of varying heights (usually 3'-6') almost always landing on hard surfaces such as tile and cement flooring, not to mention sitting on it more times than i can count. the funny part is that all of the knocks and drops (honestly 10+) were with a naked device, no case or screen protector at all (i know, risk taker), the best part is the device barely shows any indication that it's been knocked/dropped, just a few, very, very minor blemishes.

I've been in love with my BB's since i got my 8320 back in the day, so far they have never failed to meet my (fairly rugged) needs and have always met any drops/knocks with, at worst, very minor damage (well except that 9790 that shattered the screen when it was 'dropped', face down, onto pavement by a co-worker).

I recently picked up a flip case for it to protect the screen from my car keys when they are riding in the same pocket (one of the few areas that wear is visibly present is the micro-scratches in my screen from my keys/pocket knife)

I'm happy to hear that other passport owners are finding their devices to be just as rugged as robust as i find mine.

#worksmart #workwide
    12-24-14 10:21 AM
    Purple Heart to your case. It served you well.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1154
    12-24-14 10:22 AM
    Not looking forward to dropping my Passport, but I am glad that your case, which is the same one I have in black, is on.
    Nice to see that the OEM Case is prepared to serve the safety of my Passport.
    12-24-14 12:32 PM