08-05-15 01:50 PM
87 1234
tools
    You are lucky! The BlackBerry God's are with you. My wife took her iphones in swimming and both times I could not save them, so I bought a water proof Samsung. I hate her phone, but she doesn't like changes so converting her to a Passport will be a challenge.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-15 11:56 PM
    Don't???

Posted via CB10
    Nope do not. But I know you're kidding lol, you knew this already.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-15 12:10 AM
    Very lucky, although I think most modern phones are more durable than people think.
    You would think so... But my Moto X 2014 would disagree after a quick trip to the washing machine. Did all I can to save it and resisted turning it back on to no avail. I really hated that day and missed my phone.. until now that I have my Passport that is! Love this phone. Without the X taking a dive, I wouldn't have this phone

Posted via BlackBerry Passport in sunny San Diego
    bungaboy likes this.
    02-27-15 01:04 AM
    My advice as cellphone service technican is to visit repair shop and ask for cleaning the inside parts.belive me the water is still there and soon on the motherboard will be corozy.the cleaning process is easy and in your case required.

Posted via CB10
    IamSuperMas likes this.
    02-27-15 01:09 AM
    You are so lucky!
    Good to know everything works fine on it!
    02-27-15 02:07 AM
    Best way to deal with water dropped phone is to turn off phone take sim and micro sd out put phone to bag full of rice andd live it for 12-24 hour. Do not dry with hot or cold air if you do you just push water more deeply inside, better is vacum cleaner.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-15 02:40 AM
    I would also recommend cleaning the internals on a newly submerged phone. I've dropped quite a bit of phones in water in the past few years and most will continue to work but can exhibit some issues a few days or even weeks after the incident.
    02-27-15 02:53 AM
    A similar incident happened with my Z3 in September 2014, when I slipped into a mini waterfall at a tourist spot along with my phone while taking pictures. The phone was completely submerged in the not so clean water and I took it out as fast I could.
    Though the phone was still working, I turned it off immediately and forcefully removed the back cover (which is non removable in Z3), drained the water and let it dry out for 3 days. After 3 days, the phone started up like magic and still works perfectly which I didn't expect. However, there are 2-3 sand particles visible inside the display which is not much of an issue. Very Happy with the build quality of Z3
    02-27-15 03:45 AM
    That rice myth again.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-15 04:05 AM
    Same happened to me. Didn't fully submerge. Left it in rice for 48hrs. All good

Via CB Running  PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2480
    Try to use a dehumidifier too if there is no rice available.
    02-27-15 06:08 AM
    That rice myth again.
    Are you being serious? How is it a myth?

Maybe you were just kidding...
    02-27-15 07:02 AM
    It jumped out your hands? Lol. Happy to hear your device is sound and well.

Posted via CB10
    It happens...

Good thing that dude wasn't wielding a Passport; baby would have damage

Richard
    bungaboy, kthhrrsn and mister2d like this.
    02-27-15 08:02 AM
    Did you at least get the selfie?
    02-27-15 08:06 AM
    So, suddenly it jumped out of my hands and did a swan dive into the baby tub!

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    Really ? LoL No fault of you
    Last time i forgot my N9 in my Denim pant pocket and soaked in washing machine for whole night.
    02-27-15 08:18 AM
    You're lucky you're leaking ;P
    02-27-15 08:22 AM
    Did you at least get the selfie?
    Kind of but it's not very good image quality... when I was going through the photos, I found a couple of blurry ones at the very end, which were when I was frantically fishing it out of the tub.

Dropped my Passport in the bathtub full of water!!!-img_20150225_215008.jpg

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    Pcmx likes this.
    02-27-15 08:35 AM
    Very lucky my friend. I like how Sony has water proof phones now. Definitely a feature I like.

My wife often brings her Z30 in the bath tub for reading and browsing while she's relaxing. I often envision her dropping it in. But alas, I'm the one who ruined her phone slightly by leaving it charging in a puddle of water that ran off our dish rack while traveling through India.

The phone had a battery symbol with a lightning bolt through it whenever you tried to charge it (probably some sort of circuit protection). I tried it out using rice and leaving on a warm laptop AC adapter. It took five days to dry out, but now it has some visible lines in the LCD screen.

If doing the rice trick, ensure that your ports (ear phone jack in particular) aren't open, cover with tape. I got rice grains inside it
    Machete Santa likes this.
    02-27-15 09:23 AM
    You would think so... But my Moto X 2014 would disagree after a quick trip to the washing machine. Did all I can to save it and resisted turning it back on to no avail. I really hated that day and missed my phone.. until now that I have my Passport that is! Love this phone. Without the X taking a dive, I wouldn't have this phone

Posted via BlackBerry Passport in sunny San Diego
    As much as we love the Passport, I don't think any phone will survive "a quick trip to the washing machine".
    02-27-15 10:33 AM
    OP, you are twice a lucky man. Congrats on your new baby and "born-again" Passport.
    02-27-15 10:35 AM
    Another thing you can try is to rinse the device with 99% alcohol after it's been in the water.
    The point is to get rid of water, so rinsing a few times with alcohol can help.
    02-27-15 10:38 AM
    It happens...

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploa...wborn-Baby.gif

Good thing that dude wasn't wielding a Passport; baby would have damage

Richard
    OMG! I literally laughed out loud!!!
    mister2d likes this.
    02-27-15 12:00 PM
    You got really, really lucky! I'm glad it worked out for you. As suggested, you should take it in to get the internals cleaned.
    02-27-15 12:01 PM
    I agree that modern phones are more resilient than we think.
    Years ago I was going to SCUBA and stupidly left my Motorola A768i on my waste when I was carrying the tanks to a beached canoe. About a half hour later when I couldn't find it, horror came over me when I thought about the tank carrying trips. Sure enough, I went to the canoe and there it was sloshing around in the waves of the Caribbean SEA. Yes, salt water. I took it up, took out the battery and held it under a pipe, rinsing out salt water and sand. I left it on the roof of my car while I did a couple of dives. I didn't enjoy those dives. When I returned I tried turning it on and it did, but went blank shortly after. My heart sank. When I got home I rinsed it again with some alcohol this time and had it dry in some rice. The next day I tried it and it worked, functioning normally. Eventually months later the camera stopped working, but it kept going on until I upgraded a long time after.
    I think if a phone gets wet and you immediately turn it off and put it in some desiccant (rice isn't a bad one) a phone genuinely stands a chance. Just be patient and resist the urge to start it up to see if it is working.
    I still have that phone, I wonder if it would still work?

Posted via CB10
    Machete Santa likes this.
    02-27-15 12:29 PM
    That's expensive phone! If that was my phone, I would cry all day long because that is my whole month pay salary. Lol...
    02-27-15 12:35 PM
    My saltwater episode not so good. Was beach fishing and forgot to take my backpack off. Phone was in a lower pouch that got flooded. Realizing I was wearing my pack, I took it off and set it on the beach not knowing it got dipped. A couple hours later I opened the pouch to find my Bold 9700 sitting in saltwater. Got it apart later and the mother board was already badly corroded. Sent it to a repair shop. DOA. My wife got me the Torch 9800 on her upgrade. Loved that phone.
    02-27-15 12:40 PM
87 1234