So, yesterday we were giving our new daughter a bath and I was taking some cute photos with my Passport when suddenly it jumped out of my hands and did a swan dive into the baby tub! Horrified, I watched it helplessly; completely submerged and the screen still on. Time stood still.

I snatched it out of the water as quickly as I could and turned it off right away. There was water everywhere. I dried it as best as I could with a towel and put a hairdryer on it, on low, while I tried to work as much water out of the buttons and the stainless steel frame where it seemed to collect the most water. I turned it back on (foolish, I know, but I couldn't wait...), everything seemed to work. It booted up and everything seemed to be working, even the capacitive keyboard. I bbm'd my friend and told him what happened. He told me what I already knew; that I should turn it off immediately and put it in a bag of rice for the night. When his message came back, the notification sounded awful! My speakers seemed to be totally shot. Tried playing music. What I could barely hear, sounded scratchy and muffled... nothing I could do but power it off and pray.

This morning, I booted it up and everything is back to normal. I can crank the tunes out of the speakers, notifications are fine, and everything functions as it should. Actually, I feel like it runs even snappier than it used to. Maybe I just wasn't used to the latest leak yet... Either way, it survived and is stronger than ever! I know that I am very lucky but this thing really is a beast! The BlackBerry Passport... I'm convinced that if Batman has a smartphone, this is the one he has.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    02-26-15 05:31 PM
    Sounds like you are lucky one! Be more careful with that passport! Some of us (on verizon) would kill to have that beast so be careful with it!
    02-26-15 05:36 PM
    Sounds like you are lucky one! Be more careful with that passport! Some of us (on verizon) would kill to have that beast so be careful with it!
    Same happened to me. Didn't fully submerge. Left it in rice for 48hrs. All good

Via CB Running  PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2480
    bungaboy likes this.
    02-26-15 05:39 PM
    Same thing happened to my Z10. Dropped it in my hot tub. Quickly snatched it back out. Took the battery out. Dried in my oven overnight at about 120f and it's still working fine to this day.

You and me were both lucky...

Posted by my fabulous Passport
    bungaboy likes this.
    02-26-15 05:43 PM
    Last edited by vvildstar; 03-15-21 at 12:15 AM.
    02-26-15 05:46 PM
    I think they are a bit more durable than we assume too, but I'm still not going to try to teach it to swim anymore.

Posted via my immortal BlackBerry Passport
    02-26-15 05:51 PM
    Glad to hear your phone survived the ordeal and is still functioning.

Sent from my lovely passport on T Mobile USA
    02-26-15 06:13 PM
    Dropped my Passport in the bathtub full of water!!!-th-1-.jpg

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    02-26-15 06:56 PM
    It jumped out your hands? Lol. Happy to hear your device is sound and well.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-15 07:07 PM
    I lost a BB curve to submerged water damage do can not always be a great outcome do ( careful and thank those lucky stars for this time.

Michael in Atl

Posted via CB10
    02-26-15 07:20 PM
    It became snappier because it got more than just a leak and got to jump right in the whole tub this time! Glad to hear it's all good

Posted via CB10
    02-26-15 07:31 PM
    Luck is on your side. Good to hear the Passport survived!

Posted via CB10 on Passport.
    02-26-15 07:38 PM
    Wow. im guess no more pics around water. Lucky uuuuuuuuuuuu
    02-26-15 07:51 PM
    Had a similar incident with my HP Touchpad... The Misus was cleaning the aquarium and it slid into the tank.. by the time I came the check out what she was yelling about... there was my table actually still showing video... fished it out... turned it off and stuck in a bag of rice for 2 days... powered up and ran like a top... so it does happen... sort of what happens when you drop you smartphone... some break.. some do not... seems to be a crap shoot... glad it worked out for the OP... remember.. the rice trick really works well.....
    02-26-15 08:06 PM
    No frikin way! The pp is a beast. And u r a lucky dood.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-15 08:22 PM
    I am literally so happy that it worked out for you. Seriously, I dislike wasted gadgets when they break or whatever. Good job broheemz, on taking the appropriate steps to keep it alive!

I dropped my passport when I was eating lunch today, almost had a heart attack, but thankfully all is well, not even a scratch. Everywhere that it hit was covered by the hard shell and it landed on the back, not the screen.

BlackBerry has always made tough devices. Glad to know the Passport is strong because it's expensive.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-15 08:53 PM
    I feel that pain too...
    About two weeks ago my wife out her Z10 on top of a load of laundry to carry it down stairs... after starting the machine and walking away she wondered where her phone was and ran back to pull it out from the bottom of the wash tub! It was in there for a minute or two fully submerged.
    I dismantled the entire phone, put the battery in rice and used a blow drier on low to dry the motherboard and other components. Ended up the only issue was water between the layers of the LCD - It worked but looked dark and swirled, so I ordered a new screen off of eBay and installed it a few days later. So far, so good - no lasting effects!

Crack-a-lackin' since '08
    02-26-15 09:01 PM
    If samsung can do it, BlackBerry should have been doing it

Posted via Passport.
    02-26-15 09:08 PM
    Corrosion can eventually be an issue.
    IamSuperMas likes this.
    02-26-15 09:19 PM
    Maybe I just wasn't used to the latest leak yet...

But the real question is, is it leaking water? XD

Posted from my Canadian PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2267
    02-26-15 09:22 PM
    Happened to my z10 and I would bring it in to a cellphone repair shop to have them do the alcohol treatment. it might be working for the next while, but when minerals in the water deposits on the motherboard, it will start causing short circuits and cause random reboots and mess the phone up. U need to do the treatment to remove all of the minerals.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-15 10:45 PM
    Don't turn off phones or electronics that were dropped in water, dry then put in rice for at least 24 to 48 hours.
    Dropped my Passport in the bathtub full of water!!!-b9ynm_lcyaaydvq_edit.jpg

Posted via CB10
    southlander likes this.
    02-26-15 11:05 PM
    So, yesterday we were giving our new daughter a bath and I was taking some cute photos with my Passport when suddenly it jumped out of my hands
    Maybe you actually have the new BlackBerry Leap. Haha.
    anon(3732391) and bungaboy like this.
    02-26-15 11:15 PM
    Don't turn off phones or electronics that were dropped in water, dry then put in rice for at least 24 to 48 hours.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B9YnM_LCYAAYDvQ_edit.jpg 
Views:	1560 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	337308

Posted via CB10
    Don't???

Posted via CB10
    02-26-15 11:28 PM
    Maybe I just wasn't used to the latest leak yet...

I see what you did there

Z10STL100-1/10.3.1.2243
    02-26-15 11:42 PM
87 123 ...