My saltwater episode not so good. Was beach fishing and forgot to take my backpack off. Phone was in a lower pouch that got flooded. Realizing I was wearing my pack, I took it off and set it on the beach not knowing it got dipped. A couple hours later I opened the pouch to find my Bold 9700 sitting in saltwater. Got it apart later and the mother board was already badly corroded. Sent it to a repair shop. DOA. My wife got me the Torch 9800 on her upgrade. Loved that phone.
    Maybe immediately rinsing with fresh water like I did could have saved it or maybe that Motorola was just a tuff phone or maybe I was just lucky.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-15 12:44 PM
    99% alcohol is a powerful solvent & of course 1% water ...after it goes in water, not to dip twice...sheesh! Rice is hydroscopic (absorbs water from humid air)... if it is salt water, it's worse than fresh water due to electrolytes that may corrode innerds ...opening the fone to dry well via technician might be ok, but where is a tech who KNOWS the passport ?? ...nowhere !!
    Another thing you can try is to rinse the device with 99% alcohol after it's been in the water.
    The point is to get rid of water, so rinsing a few times with alcohol can help.
    02-27-15 12:46 PM
    Maybe immediately rinsing with fresh water like I did could have saved it or maybe that Motorola was just a tuff phone or maybe I was just lucky.

Posted via CB10
    Quite possible. Didn't think to do at the time. I sink things a lot. 4-wheelers, pickups... I haven't been diving much since the cell phone era began. I can only imagine the calamities I would have if I took it up again.
    02-27-15 01:04 PM
    I think I would have plucked it out of the water and gone on a wild cussing rant. I waited a long time for att to come out with it. Glad yours survived!

Posted via CB10
    02-27-15 03:53 PM
    Can't believe it happened to me today! I was in a bar tonight with some friends, and someone knocked a glass of beer, and poured the beer over my BlackBerry Passport!! It was overwhelmed in beer, but I reacted quickly, and managed to turn the Passport upside down. 5 hours later, it's still functioning normally. Knock on wood!
    anon(3732391) likes this.
    02-27-15 07:24 PM
    Can't believe it happened to me today! I was in a bar tonight with some friends, and someone knocked a glass of beer, and poured the beer over my BlackBerry Passport!! It was overwhelmed in beer, but I reacted quickly, and managed to turn the Passport upside down. 5 hours later, it's still functioning normally. Knock on wood!
    Was it a lager or a stout?
    02-28-15 02:58 AM
    Was it a lager or a stout?
    It was a pale lager. It was K�lsch. I visited their brewery, the oldest brewery which produced this kind of beer, and went to tour, and my group and I ended up having a table to eat and drink. And... it happened. On the bright side, although the phone was almost completely wet, it functions normally until today! Let's just hope it stays that way!

Btw, does it have any difference? Unfiltered or dark beer might be worse than the filtered or clear beer, right?
    anon(3732391) likes this.
    02-28-15 04:24 AM
    ANDY... Great sense of humor.
    OP.... Congrats on the new family member.

I just love happy endings!!!!
    02-28-15 08:12 AM
    I would think a stout would be more damaging. I say this without any scientific theory or practical experience. (aka, talking out my tail pipe)
    02-28-15 10:31 AM
    ANDY... Great sense of humor.
    OP.... Congrats on the new family member.

I just love happy endings!!!!
    You lost me here. When did I make the joke? Lol. I do too!
    02-28-15 11:08 AM
    I would think a stout would be more damaging. I say this without any scientific theory or practical experience. (aka, talking out my tail pipe)
    Should be more damaging. I'm afraid it would leave some effects after a long time. Because of the sugar and alcohol in it..
    02-28-15 11:09 AM
    I came across this video this morning.

Search on youtube:
    How to save a wet mobile phone

PS: I am too new here and can't post link
    02-28-15 12:05 PM
    First I would like to congratulate you on become a Father

Thanks for sharing, now we know this Passport is truly a beast
    TheBirdDog likes this.
    02-28-15 03:37 PM
    Should be more damaging. I'm afraid it would leave some effects after a long time. Because of the sugar and alcohol in it..
    I can say from practical experience, Guinness causes more damage to me.
    03-01-15 12:44 AM
    I can say from practical experience, Guinness causes more damage to me.
    Ouch. I can imagine.

Sorry OP, didn't mean to hijack your post!
    03-01-15 03:58 AM
    Your spyPhone- and Fandroid- loving friends are out to get your Passport!

Richard
    03-01-15 04:18 PM
    Your spyPhone- and Fandroid- loving friends are out to get your Passport!

Richard
    Lol. It was an honest mistake. I think it might be partially my fault, as I put the phone on the table, with so many beer glasses on it.
    03-01-15 06:45 PM
    My first Q5 took a swim in a bathtub, worked afterwords, so I didn't use rice. It lasted three months before capping out. Ten days ago I dropped my new Q5 in the toilet as I flushed it. Watching all the water rush over it was horrifying, and there was no saving the phone.

And back in the day I had an LG flip phone that went through the washing machine and drier. Never knew I washed it into I heard something banging in the drier. I took it out charged it and it worked perfectly.
    03-01-15 07:03 PM
    My first Q5 took a swim in a bathtub, worked afterwords, so I didn't use rice. It lasted three months before capping out. Ten days ago I dropped my new Q5 in the toilet as I flushed it. Watching all the water rush over it was horrifying, and there was no saving the phone.

And back in the day I had an LG flip phone that went through the washing machine and drier. Never knew I washed it into I heard something banging in the drier. I took it out charged it and it worked perfectly.
    It must have been the time in the dryer that saved it!

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    03-01-15 08:24 PM
    Spin drying is actually a great idea. Just wrap it in absorbent blanket or towel.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-15 03:18 AM
    If you've ever gotten a pair of shoes or anything else that comes with a silica gel packet, don't throw those out. They work much better than rice to absorb moisture. That is literally their only purpose. They will suck water out of a phone a lot faster and more effectively than rice.

JB

Posted internationally thanks to my Passport
    03-02-15 05:48 AM
    If you've ever gotten a pair of shoes or anything else that comes with a silica gel packet, don't throw those out. They work much better than rice to absorb moisture. That is literally their only purpose. They will suck water out of a phone a lot faster and more effectively than rice.

JB

Just remember, once they've been used, they retain the water until you bake it out of 'em. They don't work forever.

Richard
    03-02-15 07:38 AM

JB

Tsk. Silica gel and rice are one of the least absorbent dessicants, at least in this case. Non dairy creamer in a coffee filter bag beats them. Look it up.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-15 09:23 AM
    Just remember, once they've been used, they retain the water until you bake it out of 'em. They don't work forever.

Richard
    I figured it would be something like that. Fortunately I haven't had to make use of them!

JB

03-02-15 03:42 PM
    Like some have mentioned previously; a very high percentage of phones that drop in water function well immediately after and "appear" to be perfectly fine but that's far from the case most of the time.

Even if you put it in a bag of rice or what not; there is STILL water inside and when it starts to corrode is when you'll start having issues... Probably in a few months You should take it to a local repair shop YOU TRUST and have them take it apart and clean the insides completely; that'll give you your best chances going forward.

Water usually isn't a "problem" for phones really; it's when they corrode/mold or come in contact with POWER (your battery/charger) is when you have issues. Hope it stays well for you.
    Tim-ANC and Pcmx like this.
    03-02-15 06:13 PM
87 1234