Just 1 day after I put it in the official BB hard case, Murphy's Law, the phone slipped off my desk and fell face down, cracking the top of the screen.

Great... so much for protection from the bumpers and Gorilla glass lol... it was a flat floor drop too...

Oh well guess it's time to buy a new one. Phone is only a week old.

Anybody looking for a white slightly used Passport?

Or maybe there's a place in Toronto I can get the glass replaced? I'm not too optimistic on someone having Passport parts. The LCD is fine, it's just the glass itself that cracked.
    01-16-15 03:59 PM
    Oh no!
    I would try and get it replaced...look online and see if there are parts available yet..
    01-16-15 04:15 PM
    Contact BlackBerry for repair.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-15 04:26 PM
    I found replacement screens on ebay for $130 shipped. Get yourself a set of small screwdrivers (also on ebay, maybe $15) and find one of the videos on the web showing how to take it apart and just follow the steps. The cost of fixing it is worth it versus buying a whole new phone just because the screen broke!!

Same thing happened to me yesterday...I already ordered the new screen to get it all fixed up. And I agree the hype of gorilla glass is ridiculous, phones don't seem any more durable now than they used to and the BlackBerry hard shell offers the bare minimum of real protection, I sorely miss the availability of something legit like Otterbox cases.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-15 04:49 PM
    Hey, happened to me also, here is all that I went through (maybe it can help):

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=988964

Posted via CB10
    01-16-15 05:08 PM
    It hurts me to read this. You have my condolences.

2BF43B06
    surgeon1919 likes this.
    01-16-15 05:20 PM
    Just 1 day after I put it in the official BB hard case, Murphy's Law, the phone slipped off my desk and fell face down, cracking the top of the screen.

Great... so much for protection from the bumpers and Gorilla glass lol... it was a flat floor drop too...

Or maybe there's a place in Toronto I can get the glass replaced? I'm not too optimistic on someone having Passport parts. The LCD is fine, it's just the glass itself that cracked.
    You migggghttt want to add "slightly used"*

*slightly used (adv.) cracked screen, flat floor drop from top of work table

All the best for the screen replacement, though.
    ilkay_ozalp likes this.
    01-16-15 05:23 PM
    Same thing happened to me - except it was 3 weeks after getting my passport.

If you paid for it by Credit Card - you might actually have 'damage' coverage for purchases.
    I bought mine from Blackberry direct and forgot about the coverage until a week after it broke.
    When I checked, it did have complimentary damage coverage for incidents that happen within 90 days of purchase.
    Filled out the forms and they actually paid to the full replacement cost for the passport. Cost me $ 299 to repair.

Place I sent mine was Blackberry Repair in Toronto - RepairStore
    Took a bit to get the replacement screen but all is good.
    Apparently they have walk in service - and if the part in stock, even offer 1 hour repair. Not sure if it applies to Passport.
    Bonnie Bonzai likes this.
    01-16-15 05:42 PM
    I found replacement screens on ebay for $130 shipped. Get yourself a set of small screwdrivers (also on ebay, maybe $15) and find one of the videos on the web showing how to take it apart and just follow the steps. The cost of fixing it is worth it versus buying a whole new phone just because the screen broke!!

Same thing happened to me yesterday...I already ordered the new screen to get it all fixed up. And I agree the hype of gorilla glass is ridiculous, phones don't seem any more durable now than they used to and the BlackBerry hard shell offers the bare minimum of real protection, I sorely miss the availability of something legit like Otterbox cases.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks. Do you have a link?

Are those screens the official OEM part? Or knockoffs?

Posted via CB10
    01-16-15 06:35 PM
    Just to add....

My phone is white, so the border under the glass around the LCD is white.
    I hope that doesn't make it harder to find the part.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-15 06:43 PM
    Damn just skimming ebay and all I see are black ones

Posted via CB10
    01-16-15 06:50 PM
    Hey, happened to me also, here is all that I went through (maybe it can help):

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=988964

Posted via CB10
    Sorry to derail the thread a bit. That is absolutely amazing.

To the OP, good luck!

Posted via CB10
    01-16-15 08:35 PM
    OP can you pm me please. I was trying to send you a message but it's either I'm dumb or some setting of mine is not allowing me to initiate. I have a dud and I'm interested in either buying a device with a broken screen or selling mine. Thanks
    01-16-15 10:05 PM
    Thanks. Do you have a link?

Are those screens the official OEM part? Or knockoffs?

Posted via CB10
    http://m.ebay.com/itm/191471431760?nav=SEARCH

Looks legit to me....

Posted via CB10
    01-16-15 10:08 PM
    Damn just skimming ebay and all I see are black ones

Posted via CB10
    Sorry yeah missed that....white might be a little tough to find!

Posted via CB10
    01-16-15 10:09 PM
    It is proving difficult to find.
    All of the repair places only have black ones in stock.
    A couple will call their suppliers to check if they can order white.
    I'm not optimistic.

Posted via CB10
    01-18-15 06:50 PM
    It is proving difficult to find.
    All of the repair places only have black ones in stock.
    A couple will call their suppliers to check if they can order white.
    I'm not optimistic.

Posted via CB10
    Check your inbox. Maybe we can work something out for a mutual benefit.

NewsFlash! The highest rankin g American citizen is using a BlackBerry
    01-18-15 07:57 PM
    Damn. So sorry to learn about this! I bought mine at Newegg and purchased the extra accidental damage insurance with it. So that part is covered.

Posted via CB10
    01-18-15 08:51 PM
    Trukulcha, I replied to your PM.
    I'm going to try to get this thing fixed first. I really don't want to slap a black screen on it.
    Last edited by zyad; 01-18-15 at 10:09 PM.
    01-18-15 09:10 PM

I am in Markham, I may sell mine black one though.. Using the classic now.. If you are interested pm me.

Thanks.
    01-18-15 09:47 PM
    This happened to me once when I wore my brand new Cesare Paciotti dress shoes. This pair ran about 950$. I was sitting on the side seats on the subway train and this lady got on and she wasn't watching where she was walking! She walked over and deeply scratched the tip of my right shoe and put a 2inch line scratch on the fine leather. She may have had glass or some other sharp material stuck to her shoes!

I was not impressed and they obviously cannot be worn again especially if you have to wear suits as it is noticeable! I was not impressed!!!

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by cellphonejunkey; 01-19-15 at 02:10 PM.
    01-19-15 09:04 AM
    This happened to me once when I wore my brand new Cesare Paciotti dress shoes. This pair ran about 950$. I was sitting on the side seats on the subway train and this lady got on and she wasn't watching where she was walking! She walked over the tip of my right shoe and the put a 2inch line scratch on the fine leather. She may have had glass or someother sharp material stuck to her shoes!

I was not impressed and they obviously cannot be worn again especially if you have to wear suits as it is noticeable! I was not impressed!!!

Posted via CB10
    Guess common sense isn't so common, however one would think to never wear 1000$ shoes on a subway, perhaps in perfect hindsight you'd wear sneakers and put the good ones on later? I'm left wondering why image is that important on the subway? Look around at what the other 90% are wearing.

Lessons learned...

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1154
    01-19-15 09:30 AM
    Guess common sense isn't so common, however one would think to never wear 1000$ shoes on a subway, perhaps in perfect hindsight you'd wear sneakers and put the good ones on later? I'm left wondering why image is that important on the subway? Look around at what the other 90% are wearing.

Lessons learned...

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1154
    Lol you thought his story was real?

₱asaporte₱ilipinasSQW100-1/10.3.1.2072
    01-19-15 09:44 AM
    Don't forget that lot of credit cards offer 90 days of full satisfaction guarentee.

That includes accidental damage.

So you might be lucky and your credit card company will step in for you.
    01-19-15 09:54 AM
    Only Amex and that would be a longshot

Posted via RED Passport on CB 10
    01-19-15 12:00 PM
46 12