Sometimes it can be a combination of multiple factors... For example, maybe the wear and tear of those keys have moved their bouncing characteristics out of the calibrated range of software drivers. Maybe the touch screen double typing is indeed a software problem but the physical keyboard double typing has a different root cause. Maybe all these analysis are a complete waste of time... the fact is, I just received my replacement Passport and have not seen any double typing issue when I typed this long post up.

Not for now anyway.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.680
    Exactly what I said I did and although there were many that agreed and I likely convinced to do the same, there will still a few that were doubtful and we're pushing the agenda that it's software. Well how can it be software when I'm running the same setup on a new device and now have no double type? Hard to refute that.

Posted via CB10
    06-04-15 01:18 PM
    I'll chime in as well. Since I did notice a difference when moving to the 10.3 leak. As in... that night.

I guess a problem has to start somewhere, sometime. But the coincidence is a little hard to ignore.

I have a passport and I am quite hard on it. I hike and run regularly with it in pretty nasty weather. So I wouldn't be surprise if the keyboard on a new line of devices had hardware longevity issues. I double type at a fairly noticeable rate on the. 6xx leak (can't remember the numbers). Since grabbing the new leak .780 I haven't had any noticeable issues. And I think it only double typed once during the setup.

I would be inclined that there is a software tuning that could be behind it. Since they did make changes to the keyboard software. But I would also be inclined to think that fixed it.

Passport || Fido
    06-04-15 02:40 PM
    I now have PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.680 installed. It came OTA on Wednesday and I've found that from the previous version of 10.3.1 that I was onn, the double typing has slowed down from before.

I still, as you can see above have some double typing, but it was getting ridiculous before. I think that if they did tune the keyboard a little in this version, they are moving in the right direction. It would be nice to have some control over it.

Before I was getting double tyype...

Never mind, still doing it now that I'm typing more than I have in the past days since the update, I'm getting more double types.

I guess it will be going in for a new keyboard after all.

Anyone know the turn around time on a repair, not replacement? I'm weary of getting someone else's device while knowing how well I've taken care of this one out of the box.

With the PlayBook their turn around was ridiculously fast, although I doubt it will be as fast with a Passport today.

Posted via CB10
    06-04-15 11:00 PM
    I now have PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.680 installed. It came OTA on Wednesday and I've found that from the previous version of 10.3.1 that I was onn, the double typing has slowed down from before.
    Entirely placebo. I updated to .680, no change whatsoever. Just updated to .798 and the first sentence I typed had 3 words with double letters. This is ******* annoying, and BlackBerry support is giving me the runaround. My device is less than 2 months old.
    06-04-15 11:07 PM
    Ok I received my loaner passport from my SaskTel provider while they send mine away. Absolutely no problem with this new one. Keys are noticeably stiffer. Not sure whether it is a software or hardware issue. My double typing problems all started when I downloaded one of the 10.3.2 leaks because I couldn't stand the flickering issue any longer. As well when I did that I lost all email suggestions that were learned and it never seemed to learn or ever suggest any new ones with the leaked OS(2 leaks loaded). I wonder if they will put the official build on the passport when it gets fixed. It is very nice to now have no double typing and the email suggestions back with the loaner Passport.

Posted via CB10
    06-04-15 11:14 PM
    This double typing is killing me. I can't seem to replicate. the problem until I am using it for business matters. Usually it's a, space and. E. (there, it comees out of nowhere).

How am I gonna explain to the warranty service rep if I can't replicate this problem on site? This sucks RIM, really disappointing.

Posted via CB10
    06-09-15 08:17 PM
    They told me to send them a screen shot from BBVE, do a clean install, etc.

I did what they said, I'd already done a clean install, but it kept happening so they issued the RMA. You won't need to prove anything and they will get the process going.

You don't need to prove it because they already know.

Posted via CB10
    06-09-15 09:01 PM
    They told me to send them a screen shot from BBVE, do a clean install, etc.

I did what they said, I'd already done a clean install, but it kept happening so they issued the RMA. You won't need to prove anything and they will get the process going.

You don't need to prove it because they already know.

Posted via CB10
    Well it might have been easy for you, but it's going on week 3 for me. I have the AT&T Passport and I have double typing that's become extremely frequent and very annoying. Sent BBVE screenshots, etc. I installed the 10.3.2 leak to try and fix the issue (it didn't), and the rep asked me to restore the official AT&T software. Official is 10.3.1, and there is no way for me to downgrade because of OS blacklist, so I will essentially brick my phone if I do what he says.

I'm literally ****ed, and continue to fight with them. It may have been nice and simple for you, but it's a ******* ****show for me.
    06-09-15 09:07 PM
    Ii hhaavee noo doubllee typiing iisssuee...

Tthoosee whoo aaree claaimiiing musst bee trrollerrss...

Posted via CB10
    06-09-15 11:34 PM
    The good news is that it affects a very small percentage of users. I like most don't have a double typing issue. I hope for the sake of those affected that BBRY figures out the cause. It definitely must be frustrating.
    06-09-15 11:58 PM
    Ii hhaavee noo doubllee typiing iisssuee...

Tthoosee whoo aaree claaimiiing musst bee trrollerrss...

Posted via CB10
    I really hope I don't have the last laugh and you never have to experience it. Definitely ruins a lot of the Passport experience.

The good news is that it affects a very small percentage of users. I like most don't have a double typing issue. I hope for the sake of those affected that BBRY figures out the cause. It definitely must be frustrating.
    Thank you.
    06-10-15 12:32 AM
    OK, I just installed the official 10.3.2.440 release. My double typing problem has disappeared. All double typed characters are now my problem

Seriously though, I had a double typing issue - maybe not as bad as some - but it has now gone. Even if the problem was mechanical, there was a software fix.

Enjoy.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-15 02:13 AM
    I have installed 10.3.2.440 and I still have the double typing issue, much like my Q10 did. Only after a replacement device did it solve the problem. Maybe some devices are software issues, in which case a software update is the cure. In my case, not so. I have to opt for a replacement device and hope that the particular device is not defective also....
    06-15-15 09:05 AM
    My double typing is fixed with a Passport replacement. However my emails suggestions are still not automatically generated, this is painful.

Posted via CB10
    06-26-15 10:21 AM
    I got the same problem with the letter C but it seems to be hardware related because when I type sitting up the problem seems to go away.
    I'd say it comes down to the angle at which I'm typing that ccauses... scratch that... See what I'm talking about?
    09-23-15 11:45 AM
    Time to switch back to my Z30!
    09-23-15 11:46 AM
    My AT&T Passport has begun having a pretty consistent double typing problem with just the "c" key....not every time but a lot of the time I have to be careful using it and spell checking because it's often problematic. I would have to think that's a hardware or something has gotten stuck under that key more than it would make sense that it's a software problem...but that's just a guess. I had double typing problems on my Q10 too and a keyboard replacement fixed them until I sold it. I have never had a BlackBerry double typing problem end up being a software problem FWIW.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-15 12:51 PM
    I got the same problem with the letter C but it seems to be hardware related because when I type sitting up the problem seems to go away.
    I'd say it comes down to the angle at which I'm typing that ccauses... scratch that... See what I'm talking about?
    What Passport version are you using? My AT&T Passport is doing the EXACT same thing, only with the c key. See my previous post.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-15 12:52 PM
    I'm pretty sure both sides are correct here. It only makes sense that the denounce issues that can cause double typing would get worse over time with increased keyboard wear. A keyboard is a mechanical device after all. I'm also quite sure that tuning parameters in the software can largely overcome the issue. I've had passport for almost a year and occasionally had a double type event but really quite rarely. I can definitely say that since the 2474 OS upgrade I have not seen it happen even one single time so definitely the software tuning has been improved. Overall very happy.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-15 01:16 PM
    I had double typing on my blackberry passport silver, and I contacted blackberry. Blackberry replied me that I should update my device to new Os 2639 and it would solve the problem. And I did. Boom... it is gone. Now, I am typing on my passport with double typing. ^^

Posted via CB10
    10-01-15 09:34 PM
    My sense of all these issues is operator error, fat fingers or somewhere in between.

Zero problems on my Passport.

BlackBerry Passport SE on Rogers in Victoria BC Canada to CB 10
    10-01-15 10:25 PM
    My sense of all these issues is operator error, fat fingers or somewhere in between.

Zero problems on my Passport.

BlackBerry Passport SE on Rogers in Victoria BC Canada to CB 10
    Laugh...you haven't experienced true hardware issue double typing then. No way you could blame a user for that.

Posted via CB10 // Passport SQW100-1 // 10.3.2.2339 // Cricket Wireless
    10-01-15 10:48 PM
    Laugh...you haven't experienced true hardware issue double typing then. No way you could blame a user for that.

Posted via CB10 // Passport SQW100-1 // 10.3.2.2339 // Cricket Wireless
    Exactly. I've had keyboards on several different BlackBerrys go bad and it didn't matter how you pressed certain keys, it would double type EVERY SINGLE time. My AT&T Passport recently developed a double typing issue with just the "c" key so I kept blasting out around that key with compressed air and it seems to have finally worked to clear out whatever was stuck under there because I've been typing error free for the last 24 hours since! We'll see if it holds but worth a try for anyone else experiencing problems, especially if just with specific keys

Posted via CB10
    10-02-15 08:36 AM
    Exactly. I've had keyboards on several different BlackBerrys go bad and it didn't matter how you pressed certain keys, it would double type EVERY SINGLE time. My AT&T Passport recently developed a double typing issue with just the "c" key so I kept blasting out around that key with compressed air and it seems to have finally worked to clear out whatever was stuck under there because I've been typing error free for the last 24 hours since! We'll see if it holds but worth a try for anyone else experiencing problems, especially if just with specific keys

Posted via CB10
    Is there anything under the keyboard that can get damaged if you hit it with too much compressed air?

Posted via CB10
    10-02-15 06:05 PM
    Got a Passport since April this year. Went backpacking around the world with it. Dropped it a few times. Never experienced any double typing. The phone types as advertised if not better.

If double typing was a software issue then all passports would be affected - which they aren't.

It must be a hardware issue.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-15 04:34 AM
182 ... 5678