A question to those PKB users with the double typing issue: Has your device been exposed to a dusty environment or any fine grained substance?

Posted via CB10 from BlackBerry Passport
    Nope. I work from home, it sits on my desk all day every day. If it's not in my desk, it's in my pocket while I'm on my way to or from hockey. I don't know if it's a software issue, because it just started two weeks ago and I've been using the phone for over 5 months.
    05-16-15 10:02 AM
    BlackBerry should offer an extended warranty no fault keyboard "fix" at your nearest authorised repair shop. There should be a PKB diagnostic test either on the phone or available online or on the Link.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-15 10:23 AM
    My theory is that it can either be software, hardware or both. My Q10 does not have double typing but the other day when I added a work email account which required encryption on my phone, there was a general lag on the phone due to the background encryption process and that's when I got one or two double typing occurrences. It's like the os was lagging behind in registering the clicks on the pkb. Since removing that account and encryption, all is smooth again.

Moto X 2014 / Q10
    05-16-15 10:36 AM
    BlackBerry should offer an extended warranty no fault keyboard "fix" at your nearest authorised repair shop. There should be a PKB diagnostic test either on the phone or available online or on the Link.

Posted via CB10
    Totally agree. It's something Q10 owners have been saying for a long while now.
    05-16-15 12:53 PM
    if the debounce time is 100ms then they really need someone looking over the quality of those lmao. i debounce my buttons for arduino with a 10ms hw interrupt, after 30ms the response is stable.. and these are just some cheap buttons. at the university we debounce 10-20 year old buttons with 5ms timers as well and we get a stable response in about 50ms as well..
    Thank you. At least someone thinking methodically about the technology used!

Another thought, ignore if already mentioned, but does this issue only occur in the core apps (email - personal/corp, sms/mms, Hub activated add ins - box/drop/box as in editing titles, etc) ????

What I'm curious about is does this occur in 3rd party apps not tied to the hub does NOT exhibit any double typing?

Cause if not then we have an issue with the core OS and not the API's using text entry and thus for sure a software issue.

However if all and or a varying of 3rd party apps as I've mention also exhibit this issue then hwo are we to determine, and I say this lightly, a "small" group of Passport owners having the same spftware/hardware issue at the same time.

Since only detected at a certain OS build not older than official and various posting after that build it's still hard to determine. As mentioned before a video WOULD not only help the community understand this issue but gice better evidence from a seemingly rag-tag group of users not showing heavy evidence of technical scientific method of any kind to narrow down a widely assumed issue that doesn't affect many who do own the same product, submitt to BlackBerry engineers.

Now more than ever we're closely tied to BlackBerry and we need them more than others.

Posted by BlackBerry accept no compromise!
    05-16-15 02:57 PM
    hey guys

I wanted to chime in because I have seen so many posts about this very annoying double typing issue.I now own a Passport and I previously had the Z10, and back on the 10.2.xxxx software, double typing became an issue. It's a Blackberry issue and I have been reporting it since I found it on my Z10. You can go back into the Z10 forums and find for yourself, but this double type issue is NOT a hardware issue with the keyboards, but a software issue.

Let's debunk and save frustration of swapping out hardware to get back bad refurb units....

Posted via CB10
    05-16-15 06:18 PM
    Actually, it isn't an issue at all. For me that is... lol, I don't have any problems with my Passport at all. Mad bro?

Posted via CB10
    05-17-15 01:43 PM
    Actually, it isn't an issue at all. For me that is... lol, I don't have any problems with my Passport at all. Mad bro?

Posted via CB10
    For now bro. Let's check back in after 6 months.

I was problem free but after 6 months of constant use, I bet your tone will change.

Till then, enjoy the fact that it's perfect.

Posted via CB10
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    05-17-15 10:40 PM
    If I bought it through Amazon, is there any sort of course of action for warranty or repair? It's starting to drive me nuts. It spread from N last week to L, M and O as well.
    05-18-15 07:49 AM
    For now bro. Let's check back in after 6 months.

I was problem free but after 6 months of constant use, I bet your tone will change.

Till then, enjoy the fact that it's perfect.

Posted via CB10
    I'm on month 7. How much longer do I have to wait?

RedBerry Passport / 10.3.2.680 / Telus
    05-18-15 08:47 AM
    While I don't have a Blackberry Passport, I'm interested in this subject.

I also repaired a few double typing keyboards in the past, indeed I'm currently working on a double typing 9780 installing the 4th keyboard membrane replacement already.

During my efforts trying to fix the double typing on the 9780, with every membrane that I changed, I got a different set of keys doing the double typing.

I can only conclude that clean contacts and an equally importantly a properly lined up keyboard membrane are essential to prevent double typing.

I belive that if contaminated or not lined up correctly, the little cup contacts don't always make proper contact upon depressing and such inproper contact might be registered as a double press input.

I belive both software and harware solutions have potential to solve the issue.

It puzzles me why the double typing occurs on touch screen devices though.
    05-18-15 05:48 PM
    I have not had this issue on my Passport at all. What causes this issue?
    05-19-15 04:42 AM
    I have not had this issue on my Passport at all. What causes this issue?
    I think it's bad luck that causing it. I used to have 9780 without any double type. I always place the phone in the pouch. And this time naked with passport that double type. It could be dirt. Nobody know, even blackberry deny the existence of double type.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-15 07:37 AM
    I think it's bad luck that causing it. I used to have 9780 without any double type. I always place the phone in the pouch. And this time naked with passport that double type. It could be dirt. Nobody know, even blackberry deny the existence of double type.

Posted via CB10
    You could be right. I've hardly used Passport without a case. My case is the wallet one, so the front is also closed when the phone is in the pocket.
    I haven't hit 6 months mark yet but so far I haven't encountered it.

Posted via CB10 using PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576
    05-19-15 05:32 PM
    does the new current update 10.3.2 solve this issue. I am having mine send offer for warranty currently. i am just curious since I don't have my passport with me.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    06-03-15 09:26 AM
    However, I do not stress about it UNTIL official OS is released. after all - my warranty expires on beginning of November.
    Double typing began for me on offiiccial 10.3.1. Sorry bud

BlackBizzle my nizzle
    06-03-15 09:44 AM
    I've had my Q10 for 2 years now & will activate my Passport this coming weekend. I very rarely get a double-type on my Q10. It has been in a pouch since day 1 whenever I carry it anywhere so I'm wondering if that keeps more dirt, lint etc. from fouling the keyboard & helps to keep the double-type issue away?

My passport will not have a pouch so the keyboard will be more exposed which could lead to issues. Wonder how many experiencing the double-typing issue carry their devices without anything covering the keypad?

Posted via CB10
    06-03-15 12:40 PM
    I've had my Q10 for 2 years now & will activate my Passport this coming weekend. I very rarely get a double-type on my Q10. It has been in a pouch since day 1 whenever I carry it anywhere so I'm wondering if that keeps more dirt, lint etc. from fouling the keyboard & helps to keep the double-type issue away?

My passport will not have a pouch so the keyboard will be more exposed which could lead to issues. Wonder how many experiencing the double-typing issue carry their devices without anything covering the keypad?

Posted via CB10
    I have a less than 2 month old AT&T Passport which started double typing. Its an absolutely ridiculous notion that I should cover my device in a ******* pouch because the keyboard is that fragile and fails from dust exposure. My phone isn't exposed to elements anyways, just normal day to day living.

Your theory is fine and dandy, but please explain why it began with one letter and slowly spread to other letters, not localized to a specific area of the keyboard.
    06-03-15 12:47 PM
    I believe is the breakdown of the rebound of keys and is related to wear rather than direct exposure to dust.

Granted the dirt collected may act as an abrasive and further increase the speed of deterioration.

I'm in a suit daily and the phone is transported in my inside breast pocket. Still it double typed after 6 months which seems to be the mean average.

Posted via CB10
    06-03-15 01:01 PM
    I have a less than 2 month old AT&T Passport which started double typing. Its an absolutely ridiculous notion that I should cover my device in a ******* pouch because the keyboard is that fragile and fails from dust exposure. My phone isn't exposed to elements anyways, just normal day to day living.

Your theory is fine and dandy, but please explain why it began with one letter and slowly spread to other letters, not localized to a specific area of the keyboard.
    Easy tiger. I didn't say you should have to cover your device. Just wondering if keeping a device with a PKB in a case that covers the keypad has any effect on minimizing the double-typing issue.

Posted via CB10
    06-03-15 01:31 PM
    I have a Q10 and I have the stupid issue too. 10.3.2.x
    06-03-15 02:38 PM
    My Passport has never been in a case and now has lots of dust and stuff on the keyboard. No issues and I've been using it everyday since November 2014. So a case is unlikely to make any difference whatsoever.

Posted via CB10 from BlackBerry Passport
    06-04-15 09:23 AM
    Upgraded to 10.3.2 and I'm still getting double-typing.
    06-04-15 11:46 AM
    I've owned two passports and even a classic, no double typing issues here. Actually the only blackberry device to act oddly like that was my storm one. That monster had a mind of its own and called random numbers when turned on. I smashed it on the ground and got a bold hahah.

Posted via CB10
    06-04-15 12:21 PM
    If it's software: how come not everyone on the same OS version has the issue?
    If it's hardware: how come it's also reported happening with touchscreen keys?
    Seems to me that in the absence of access to the source code, to be fair one has to rule out overheating, dirty screen/keyboard, water damage, high or spiking CPU usage and intermittent fault caused by a fried I/O chip or something before one can be sure it's an OS issue.

Posted via CB10
    Sometimes it can be a combination of multiple factors... For example, maybe the wear and tear of those keys have moved their bouncing characteristics out of the calibrated range of software drivers. Maybe the touch screen double typing is indeed a software problem but the physical keyboard double typing has a different root cause. Maybe all these analysis are a complete waste of time... the fact is, I just received my replacement Passport and have not seen any double typing issue when I typed this long post up.

Not for now anyway.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.680
    06-04-15 01:10 PM
182 ... 45678