I am a Q5 owner and it never double types. And fellow Q5 users seem to report no issues on the Forum.

I don't claim to know the root cause of the double typing on the Q10, Classic and Passport. However, I do have a suspicion.

These 3 models have similar type keyboards and over time they seem to develop the problem. In the case of the Q10, lots of people replaced the keyboard only to have the double typing problem come back a few months later.

So my suspicion is that something is "contaminating" these keyboards, perhaps pocket lint, or moisture, or dust, is getting inside and causing the malfunction. And perhaps the design of this style of kb is making it susceptible to this problem.

Whereas the Q5 kb design is different and just doesn't have the same susceptibility.

It is a vexing problem and for the sake of BlackBerry and its users, I wish BlackBerry would get it solved.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-15 12:56 PM
    BlackBerry should be including a spare keyboard and screwdriver repair kit with each new Classic and Passport phone. Or solve the double typing problem.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-15 01:01 PM
    Long overdue. Notice their complete silence...

Posted via CB10
    05-04-15 01:52 PM
    Explain why then the EXACT same issue is happening on my Z10 and I have read that is happening on the Z30 and Z3? Those are all touch ONLY devices, and the exact same issue is happening. So please enlighten me how this is a 99% hardware issue?
    Can you point me to any links regrading z10 z30 double typing (other than on your phone)? First time I hear about it.
    I too am curious to see the links. First I am hearing of the issue too.
    05-04-15 02:46 PM
    BlackBerry should be including a spare keyboard and screwdriver repair kit with each new Classic and Passport phone. Or solve the double typing problem.

Posted via CB10
    They will never do it as long as people continue saying something along the line of
    "Are you sure you are not misusing the keyboard? You have to be delicate with the keys. I have no problem on mine. This thing is rock solid, man, rock solid. The quality is so good. I just happened to be a nuclear missile tester. I targeted the passport with nuclear missiles, several times too, and not a scratch, man, not even a single scratch. The keyboard is still clicky and works like a charm. As a matter of fact, my sister-in-law who also owns a Passport works for NASA's wormhole pioneer project, and this thing was condensed in the molecular level and then accelerated to a billion times its speed for a time equivalent to from the Big Bang to the end of the Universe, and the keyboard is still working. Are you mad, man, the keyboard will outlive you and humanity and the entire Universe and you still got complaints? If you have problems then you must be misusing it. Mine is rock solid. This thing is indestructible. I love my Passport and I don't care what you say. Go back to iMore, you troll! BlackBerry will live forever! The Passport will outlive G-d! There is not a single comment except yours that say there's something wrong with the keyboard. BlackBerry has been building keyboard before Jesus was born and they make quality keyboard, the very best. It's a known fact. So many people use it yet you are the only one to have problems. I smell a troll."

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-04-15 03:09 PM
    They will never do it as long as people continue saying something along the line of...

I just happened to be a nuclear missile tester. I targeted the passport with nuclear missiles, several times too, and not a scratch, man, not even a single scratch.....

As a matter of fact, my sister-in-law who also owns a Passport works for NASA's wormhole pioneer project, and this thing was condensed in the molecular level and then accelerated to a billion times its speed for a time equivalent to from the Big Bang to the end of the Universe, and the keyboard is still working......

Are you mad, man, the keyboard will outlive you and humanity and the entire Universe and you still got complaints? ....

BlackBerry has been building keyboard before Jesus was born and they make quality keyboard....

This is some seriously good snark. I love it

Posted from my Passport. It's hip to be square
    05-04-15 03:48 PM
    It's pretty ironic that no matter what the cause (hardware or software) this issue single hand-edly shows the sad state of affairs this once great company is now in.

If it's the physical keyboard, then the one feature BlackBerry is best known for... is now a failure too.

If it's software, then the one area where Chen keeps spewing is the future for BlackBerry success... is a failure too.

BlackBerry 2015 = Stealing defeat from the jaws of victory!

Posted via CB10
    Trauma Surgeon and Q10Bold like this.
    05-04-15 04:04 PM
    It's pretty ironic that no matter what the cause (hardware or software) this issue single hand-edly shows the sad state of affairs this once great company is now in.

If it's the physical keyboard, then the one feature BlackBerry is best known for... is now a failure too.

If it's software, then the one area where Chen keeps spewing is the future for BlackBerry success... is a failure too.

BlackBerry 2015 = Stealing defeat from the jaws of victory!

Posted via CB10
    Thats why I hope Chen isnt to cheap and is willing to produce in Mexico/Canada again.
    You cant repair the glued foxconn Classic....

Posted via Q10Bold
    05-04-15 04:12 PM
    That's interesting. I've had a Q10 for seven or eight months, then and now running 10.2.whatever, and the double-typing issue has just started popping up.
    05-04-15 04:15 PM
    Thats why I hope Chen isnt to cheap and is willing to produce in Mexico/Canada again.
    You cant repair the glued foxconn Classic....

Posted via Q10Bold
    The problem is, products Made in Mexico started to malfunction, too.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-15 04:56 PM
    I can remember reading about problems w/ the Q. And I thought that I was lucky. Then it happened. The double type lasted for about a week. Then it just stopped. No updates, leaks, I did nothing.

Got the PP in December from Amazon. I got the 1779 update and all was well. Last week double typing started. It's not bad. IE, it doesn't happen often, but went it does its almost like it happens for a day and then is gone.

I know this won't solve any mystery. I guess it's sympathy for those that are affected.

In the end I enjoy BlackBerry and love my PP.

BleedBlk-
    05-04-15 05:15 PM
    Double typing is normally filtered out using a debounce algorithm. A typical debounce time-out will be around 100ms.

There are several reasons why this can fail. The algorithm can be mis-tuned, the key spring factor can change or the user may be doing something unexpected by the designers.

The solution is to make the debounce time tuneable in settings.

Posted via CB10 from BlackBerry Passport
    This shows that the SYMPTOM of double typing can be alleviated with a software update. But the underlying double typing issue, physically, is still there.

Which is exactly why some say a update of the OS fixes the issue, (blackberry quietly adjusting its debounce algorithm).

With my Q10, I kept my faulty keyboard, I can put it back into my phone, with any OS and it will double type...

Also, as others have said, if Blackberry could fix this issue solely with a software update, they'd do it... MUCH cheaper then replacing phones.
    anon(8080272) likes this.
    05-04-15 06:51 PM
    I have just tweeted to @MichaelClewley and @BlackBerry. I highly encourage everyone who have this problem to send them a tweet so our cries are heard.
    I would suggest to post it on BlackBerry support forum too... I don't think BlackBerry is intentionally ignoring this issue, maybe they still haven't realized how wide spread this problem has become.

Posted via CB10 with PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576
    05-05-15 08:22 AM
    I would suggest to post it on BlackBerry support forum too... I don't think BlackBerry is intentionally ignoring this issue, maybe they still haven't realized how wide spread this problem has become.

Posted via CB10 with PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576
    I am sure they do, they just don't want to acknowledge it. The replacements must come from somewhere.

05-05-15 08:40 AM
    I find it strange and ridiculous how many phones are getting this problem. I have not once had this experience on any of my BlackBerry phones, including Q10 or my current Passport. Either these folks are really unlucky and are receiving bad models, or there's just so much lag on the phones that it's causing the issue very unfortunate.

 = ♥ | 8220, 8530, 9670, 9810, Q10, Passport
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    05-05-15 02:53 PM
    I returned my passport to the point of sale as directed by BlackBerry.

What I don't get is the customer service rep at my reseller told me my device would be sent to BlackBerry for repair or replacement and to expect a turnaround of 7-14 days. But my reseller without notifying me sent a brand new unboxed unit in a plastic bag as soon as they received my unit, so they obviously had replacements ready to go.

I have checked on sachesi for a refurb date and it says never.

Via CB10 from Scotland using PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.500
    05-05-15 03:40 PM
    I was having the double typing problem on my passport for about 2 months. I tried uninstalling apps, reinstalling the os, changing keyboard settings... nothing worked. I was getting double keys on the e, r, i, b and space. I was cleaning my screen when I decided to power down and give the keyboard a really good cleaning using just the cloth that came with the passport. Powered it back on and it hasn't repeated a key for a week now. I am hoping it was just a dirty keyboard and nothing else...

Posted via CB10
    05-09-15 10:00 AM
    Your passport came with a cloth?
    05-09-15 11:57 AM
    What is this double typing? Never had this issue since buying it in Feb...

Posted via CB10
    05-09-15 12:06 PM
    People are just typing too fast... hopefully I won't have this issue. I've had z10 and 30 and no double typing. But earlier post said that the double typing while on.the browser, well that's just input lag. Hmm wondering why the keyboard auto correct the double type. Let type an example here here. I tried double typing personally the word here but auto correct fixes it. Hmm wondering what the cause should be. You know if there are defective products what is that service in the US that we can create reports in. I'm not talking about twitter (because people think that's where you go for support apparently) or BlackBerry support website, I mean the better business Bureau or Consumer reports?

Posted via CB10
    05-09-15 12:13 PM
    Yes it came with a cloth... I ordered from Amazon germany in October 2014. It has the QWERTZ keyboard

Posted via CB10
    05-09-15 12:22 PM
    hey guys

I wanted to chime in because I have seen so many posts about this very annoying double typing issue.I now own a Passport and I previously had the Z10, and back on the 10.2.xxxx software, double typing became an issue. It's a Blackberry issue and I have been reporting it since I found it on my Z10. You can go back into the Z10 forums and find for yourself, but this double type issue is NOT a hardware issue with the keyboards, but a software issue.

Let's debunk and save frustration of swapping out hardware to get back bad refurb units....
    Am sooo tired of all these "double" typing threads! Have yet to find one with a video proving the double typing exists. Had a Q10 for 2 years and now the Passport for 3 months and have yet to encounter this issue.

Posted via CB10
    05-09-15 01:00 PM
    Am sooo tired of all these "double" typing threads! Have yet to find one with a video proving the double typing exists. Had a Q10 for 2 years and now the Passport for 3 months and have yet to encounter this issue.

Posted via CB10
    Ask on the Q10 double typing thread for someone to send you a doubletyping keyboard, I'm sure someone will do it. It's a real issue.

Posted via CB10
    05-09-15 02:12 PM

Posted via CB10
    So you actually believe that hundreds of loyal blackberry fans are making up the issue??

Sent from my Passport
    05-10-15 08:00 AM

Posted via CB10
    Please Keep in mind, while I do not have this issue either.... It still remains an issue for others.
    There are so many variables as to why some do and some don't.

That being said,please have the common decency to respect the OP. And if you don't have anything Positive to add in the way of advice, move on!
    It's our responsibility as Members to create a positive atmosphere and HELP each other.... not bash them!
    Last edited by Lostboy5151; 05-10-15 at 05:41 PM.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    05-10-15 12:13 PM
182 1234 ...