hey guys

I wanted to chime in because I have seen so many posts about this very annoying double typing issue.I now own a Passport and I previously had the Z10, and back on the 10.2.xxxx software, double typing became an issue. It's a Blackberry issue and I have been reporting it since I found it on my Z10. You can go back into the Z10 forums and find for yourself, but this double type issue is NOT a hardware issue with the keyboards, but a software issue.

Let's debunk and save frustration of swapping out hardware to get back bad refurb units....
    05-03-15 06:54 AM
    I agreee with you but there are some who keep on insisting it's hardware. There are people reporting this issue on touch only device as well like the Z10 and Z30. I'm getting double letters on the '.' and '?' which are located on the touch screen portion.

Whatever the case is I would like to see BlackBerry address tthis problem asap because I'm seeing more and more new Passport and Classic users reporting the issue. The numbers are growing and the big question is BlackBerry is going to do something about it?

I want to see BlackBerry succeed but not fixing it's problem since the Q10, made me think about the future and integrity of the company.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-15 07:09 AM
    Yup, they do need to fix and address it, and i laugh reading other posts saying it's hardware lmao

Coming from the Z10, I know what I'm talking about as I had experienced this issue for almost a year. The last 10.2.1xxx OS update introduced it for me.

Posted via my Passport
    05-03-15 07:19 AM
    So why are BlackBerry readily dishing out replacement units?

Via CB10 from Scotland using PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576
    05-03-15 07:53 AM
    If you feel better to hope its software..OK.
    But its in 99% cases a hardware issue-if you think not, then please explain me why goes the double type issue away after an easy keyboard exchange?
    I was one of the 'believers/hopers' too thats sofware, but you have to realize its hardware :/

Posted via Q10Bold
    beamolite, wojt7 and Bluenoser63 like this.
    05-03-15 08:03 AM
    So why are BlackBerry readily dishing out replacement units?

Via CB10 from Scotland using PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576
    yes, and it puzzle me....
    may be a problem of both, hardware, and some on software.

work wide wisely
    05-03-15 08:17 AM
    If you feel better to hope its software..OK.
    But its in 99% cases a hardware issue-if you think not, then please explain me why goes the double type issue away after an easy keyboard exchange?
    I was one of the 'believers/hopers' too thats sofware, but you have to realize its hardware :/

Posted via Q10Bold
    Explain why then the EXACT same issue is happening on my Z10 and I have read that is happening on the Z30 and Z3? Those are all touch ONLY devices, and the exact same issue is happening. So please enlighten me how this is a 99% hardware issue?
    05-03-15 09:05 AM
    Double typing is normally filtered out using a debounce algorithm. A typical debounce time-out will be around 100ms.

There are several reasons why this can fail. The algorithm can be mis-tuned, the key spring factor can change or the user may be doing something unexpected by the designers.

The solution is to make the debounce time tuneable in settings.

Posted via CB10 from BlackBerry Passport
    05-03-15 09:05 AM
    Explain why then the EXACT same issue is happening on my Z10 and I have read that is happening on the Z30 and Z3? Those are all touch ONLY devices, and the exact same issue is happening. So please enlighten me how this is a 99% hardware issue?
    Can you point me to any links regrading z10 z30 double typing (other than on your phone)? First time I hear about it.
    05-03-15 09:55 AM
    I have never had double typing on the 3 passports I've had ... but if it's really bad I suggest trying an OS reload from BlackBerry link to confirm your 'software suspicions.
    05-03-15 11:27 AM
    Can you point me to any links regrading z10 z30 double typing (other than on your phone)? First time I hear about it.
    Never had any issues on my Z10 either. I heard very, very few isolated cases IIRC concerning double typing on touch devices but I'm almost very confident that the issue is NOT software, at least for PKB devices.

Just look back at the Q10 forums and you will notice that usually this issue pops up for a select few and over time it spreads like a wildfire, exactly like the Passport situation. Seems to be the simple case of more usage more keyboard wear and then the double typing comes along.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-15 11:39 AM
    So what most are saying is that I should contact Blackberry and request a new Passport device? I'm all for that, but if it is just a simple software glitch I don't mind dl a patch.
    05-03-15 12:40 PM
    Did anyone twitted this to someone from BlackBerry?

Posted via CB10 with PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576
    thymaster likes this.
    05-03-15 01:02 PM
    I have 2 Z10s, 2 Z30s and a Passport in my household.

Never had the issue on Z's, but very common on the Passport.

In my experience it's almost certainly hardware.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-15 01:16 PM
    I like this more technological theory. It goes handy with my CPU and OS out of tune theory. It seems when my phone is processing something, the letter gets spit out a 2nd time because the OS couldn't register the keys properly.

Double typing is normally filtered out using a debounce algorithm. A typical debounce time-out will be around 100ms.

There are several reasons why this can fail. The algorithm can be mis-tuned, the key spring factor can change or the user may be doing something unexpected by the designers.

The solution is to make the debounce time tuneable in settings.

Posted via CB10 from BlackBerry Passport
    05-03-15 01:29 PM
    I like this more technological theory. It goes handy with my CPU and OS out of tune theory. It seems when my phone is processing something, the letter gets spit out a 2nd time because the OS couldn't register the keys properly.
    I think I agree with this because if you try typing on the crackberry site on the browser, it'll lag a lot and words will get screwed up and double typing occurs. And it appears to be because the browser (in this case) is taking too many resources

Posted via CB10
    05-03-15 02:04 PM
    I have just tweeted to @MichaelClewley and @BlackBerry. I highly encourage everyone who have this problem to send them a tweet so our cries are heard.

Did anyone twitted this to someone from BlackBerry?

Posted via CB10 with PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576
    05-03-15 02:09 PM
    I have a q10 and when I was on 10.2 I had double typing and on 10.3 I dont

Posted via CB10
    thymaster likes this.
    05-03-15 05:30 PM
    I had both a Z10 and Z30 and never had a double typing issue once. My 9900 started double typing after about a year. My Passport started double typing after about 4 months of use, and has progressively gotten worse. Hhoww can this possibly be a software issue? If it were software I would imagine it would be easy for BlackBerry to have fixed it by now.

Sent from my Passport
    05-03-15 06:53 PM
    I've NEVER had this problem on my Passport since I got it in November

Posted via CB10
    05-03-15 07:04 PM
    I agree it's software. Have the passport and few double typing issues until I did a wipe and fresh install. Previously I has updated via Blitz and had no issues. As soon as I went full wipe with same software version, double typing issue surfaced. Can't be hardware when all was fine and a half hour later "all hell breaks loose".

Just waiting for next leak and hope it fixed it.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-15 07:22 PM
    I didn't have it at the beginning. Over time it's developed.

It seems to have gotten worse on 10.3.1. I did a wipe and autoloader install for PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576 and still have it. I went back to 10.3.0, still had it.

If it is software, as another thread pointed out, why doesn't this affect the Q5?

Posted via CB10
    05-03-15 11:54 PM
    First of all how many Q5 owners are out there? The Q5 forum section doesn't even look that active. If people did have keyboard problems it probably will go unnoticed and silenced.

If it is software, as another thread pointed out, why doesn't this affect the Q5?
    Posted via CB10
    05-04-15 03:07 AM
    passport got double typing with 10.3.2.500

need to update OS to check if it's fixed...
    05-04-15 03:30 AM
    Both is possible i.e. it can be a hardware related issue or just simply OS bugs and glitches.

If it is an OS issue, one thing for sure it could happen too to some users having the same unit and OS version. Actually, if it is a inherited issue with OS version, it should be happening to all of devices installed with the same OS version. And this can easily be solved by releasing an OS update fixing that 'bug' or 'glitch'. If it is also something like an OS bug or glitch that somehow affecting only certain users (probably due to how they install the OS or affected by other apps they installed), again, this should be solved by re-installing the OS and deleting the apps that affecting the OS.

The hardware, on the other hand, cannot be solved by simply releasing an OS update or re-installing it. It has to be replaced physically to correct the issue.

Deciding whether it is a software or hardware related problem is depend on how each cases is individually solved. Again, it is not because you solved the 'double typing issue' by just updating or re-loading your device OS will work on other having the same issue. Maybe yours is software related issue while other is hardware which requires more than OS updates and reloading...

Posted via CB10
    05-04-15 03:44 AM
182 123 ...