Nice job silverbullet. Glad you were able to determine what the issue was with the device. Good job standing up to the folks who want you to explain why their phone still Double Types. Next time be less professional with them and tell them something is wrong with them and then watch. It's funny!
    LOL thanks.

No need to mudsling. I'm here like most to help.

If a person doesn't want to or feels I am lying, they have their right to believe this.

I don't want to add fuel to the fire. It takes away from my intentions to help.

Posted via CB10
    anon(8080272) likes this.
    05-22-15 10:20 AM
    it could just as well be the software... if the debounce logic expects the button to be in a stable state lets say in 30ms and the button degraded over time and would require 30+ms to debounce, then it could just as well be solved software side. degrading buttons is really not a hardware issue. thats just how buttons work and can be solved by increasing the debounce time

for people who dont know what debounce means: when you pressed a button its state changes from 1 to 0 (usually buttons are active-low, meaning their logical state is high by default and it switches to low upon press). when you press the button it doesnt instantly get into a stable state caused by simply their design (spring, etc). during that time they change their state rapidly between 1 and 0. debouncing is usually done by sampling the state of the button lets say every 10ms, once their state pattern is 1100 for example, you count that as a button press. if that pattern is found multiple times before the button is in a stable state, it counts as multiple presses. or you can simply look for a state change and if the state hasnt changed in the set sampling time, you count that as a press, for example:

1. sample: 1 <- button is untouched
    2. sample: 0 <- button was pressed
    3. sample 1 <- bounce
    4. sample 0
    5. sample 0 <- button is likely stable
    05-22-15 10:21 AM
    Thanks OP. I picked up the phone to call them after reading your post. Went through the process and sent the report from my passport, waiting for their diagnosis result within two days.

And my experience with the BlackBerry support representative was positive as well. He was friendly, and apologized multiple times for the inconvenience, which gave me the impression that he genuinely wanted to help instead of trying to get away from the problem.

Will see what's going to happen next.
    05-22-15 11:11 AM
    I don't think it's the hardware, I'm running the latest beta on my passport, and the issue seems to have gone away.

Posted via CB10
    05-22-15 11:55 AM
    The debounce theory presented seems sound as well and may be the cause.

But without BlackBerry sending an update to reset the debounce rate, the only way we can 'fix' this is to have the keyboard replaced so it reacts as the software was designed to do.

As the old saying goes, there are many ways to kill a cat.

Just wish those who wants to can get their BlackBerry fixed.

Posted via CB10
    05-22-15 12:57 PM
    Thanks OP. I picked up the phone to call them after reading your post. Went through the process and sent the report from my passport, waiting for their diagnosis result within two days.

And my experience with the BlackBerry support representative was positive as well. He was friendly, and apologized multiple times for the inconvenience, which gave me the impression that he genuinely wanted to help instead of trying to get away from the problem.

Will see what's going to happen next.
    Aha,

I followed the same process.

They will then ask you to reload the software.

I did that and the issue was not fixed.

Then they will offer you an advance exchange. Don't worry I was worried too about the condition of the replacement device but it was very good

Posted via CB10
    aha and ArcPlug like this.
    05-22-15 12:58 PM
    Don't worry I was worried too about the condition of the replacement device but it was very good
    Posted via CB10
    Yeah that was the reason I was reluctant to call them... read from another post saying the replacements are all refurbished passports. Now I am going to give it a try anyway. If the replacement is in bad shape, I would send it back and keep this old one.
    05-22-15 01:53 PM
    Of course it was hardware. Anything with moving parts (i.e. the buttons) wears down with time.

I wonder if the BlackBerry extended warrenty will cover this issue.
    05-22-15 02:57 PM
    I've had the same software package on mine since the second day of ownership and only recently started having issues. Since it's so hard to reproduce I figure I'm either getting a double bounce....because the keys are noticeably softer and squishier that when new. Or I'm pressing once and getting two letters.
    05-22-15 03:21 PM
    Ultimately, BlackBerry should offer software that automatically or by way of software settings allows for keyboard adjustments on a key by key basis. Keyboards degrade over time and an adjustable keyboard would allow for variations.

Secondly, keyboards will need replacing. The phone has to be designed with that in mind. Almost a plug and play

Posted via CB10
    05-22-15 05:22 PM
    Not Classic. It is a dead-end.

Posted via CB10
    05-22-15 05:38 PM
    I don't think it's the hardware, I'm running the latest beta on my passport, and the issue seems to have gone away.

Posted via CB10
    What version?

Posted via CB10
    05-22-15 10:29 PM
    Were these QWERTY or AZERTY versions? Also, are the days of customer service waning? ... http://news.yahoo.com/blackberry-cut...6--sector.html

Furthermore, the sole keyboard phones I have owned were the webOS Veer & Pre3... the former was not used much while I used the Pre3 for long enough to develop double-typing which was only resolved by buying another one... there was no Software involved, & there were extensive threads where geeks dismantled & cleaned to no avail... this anecdote supports the claim it is a hardware issue...

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by patapoof; 05-23-15 at 12:31 PM.
    05-23-15 12:56 AM
    I have developed double typing ever since the upgrade to 10.3.2.500 and then to 10.3.2.680 on my AT&T Passport. It's starting to get quite annoying and quite frequent. Looks like I may be seeking a replacement unit soon (been putting it off...). Has anyone here had their AT&T Passport replaced? Did you contact AT&T or BlackBerry directly?

BlackBerry Passport / OS 10.3.2.281 / SQW100-3 / BBM 2C05E109
    05-23-15 03:11 PM
    My unit was bought directly from BlackBerry so I contacted them directly.

It more and more likely a hardware issue.

The software OS change is likely and this IMO only likely a coincidence.

Also note as many including myself have said, the replacement units come with a more crisp keyboard which also supports the theory it's hardware.

I've since downloaded all the software I used to run and the issue of double type has not returned. Again in support of the hardware problem.

There is no denying, those that follow suit and get a new unit, please post your experiences. Not only that the double type is resolved, but how well the exchange process works.

Let's get all those on the fence to pull the trigger and replace their units.

I'd hate to head those who let their one year warranty lapse only to find out later it's hardware related.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-15 06:44 PM
    I thought it was os as well, then I had to replace my phone for a screen lifting issue. The whole process through AT&T was actually terrible. They still might try to say it's my fault(when I say "they" I mean blackberry because they inspect it, not AT&T) and charge me 550 dollars..

Anyway, I took pics of that, but after I got the replacement unit and bam, no more double typing at all and screen was solid. I am now a firm believer that the keyboard issue is truly hardware. This new keyboard clicks different than my old one and seems like it may be made with better material, although it could be my imagination.

For the record, blackberry support told me if you bought a phone through a carrier that the carrier must handle the warranty. Hope that helps clear things up for some folks.
    Posted via CB10
    moody likes this.
    05-23-15 08:02 PM
    I thought it was os as well, then I had to replace my phone for a screen lifting issue. The whole process through AT&T was actually terrible. They still might try to say it's my fault(when I say "they" I mean blackberry because they inspect it, not AT&T) and charge me 550 dollars..

Anyway, I took pics of that, but after I got the replacement unit and bam, no more double typing at all and screen was solid. I am now a firm believer that the keyboard issue is truly hardware. This new keyboard clicks different than my old one and seems like it may be made with better material, although it could be my imagination.

For the record, blackberry support told me if you bought a phone through a carrier that the carrier must handle the warranty. Hope that helps clear things up for some folks.
    Posted via CB10
    I remember when I just got my Passport I felt the keys were quite stiff. Does the keyboard on your replacement Passport feels stiffer?

At the time I viewed that as an inconvenience because it takes effort to type. After a while it does loosen up noticeably and make typing easier, but maybe that's the problem.

When I was testing with a BlackBerry rep on the phone, he asked me to type on each key one by one. I realized that the keys tend to have double typing issues seem to be looser than the ones. Do you guys feel the same way?

Posted via CB10 with PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576
    05-24-15 10:32 AM
    I remember when I just got my Passport I felt the keys were quite stiff. Does the keyboard on your replacement Passport feels stiffer?

Posted via CB10 with PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576

You know, I think that's probably it. I just haven't typed on this replacement keyboard enough to loosen it up. I do text quite a lot, hopefully this keyboard holds up.

Posted via CB10
    05-24-15 10:48 AM
    Fwiw I had issue on first device
    Got replacement and I agree with op 100%, the keyboard on replacement feels different, better, more uniform (the buttons all feel alike. On old keyboard, some buttons felt more loose than others)

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.680
    05-24-15 10:53 AM
    I sent my BlackBerry back and got a replacement. 2 weeks into using it and double type is back. Don't really know what the problem is.

Took over a month turn around. I just received the phone back 2 weeks prior to this post.

Posted via CB10
    05-24-15 11:05 AM
    I sent my BlackBerry back and got a replacement. 2 weeks into using it and double type is back. Don't really know what the problem is.

Took over a month turn around. I just received the phone back 2 weeks prior to this post.

Posted via CB10
    That's what's going to happen... IF and that's a big if it's a hardware problem, it could be wear out quick still.

I still believe it's all software though.

Posted via my Passport
    thymaster likes this.
    05-24-15 12:10 PM
    Has anyone who has a double typing device been able to use a third party keyboard app? Results?

Posted via CB10
    05-24-15 12:11 PM
    Has anyone who has a double typing device been able to use a third party keyboard app? Results?

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry doesn't allow for 3rd party keyboard apps

Posted via my Passport
    05-24-15 12:13 PM
    Some have loaded keyboard apps that work with just Android apps. Just curious as to the results where double typing was a precondition. If such Apps were indeed helpful then BlackBerry should allow the typing app as an option.

Posted via CB10
    05-24-15 01:01 PM
    How did you update your phone? Someone suggest if you've installed a leaked once it will cause this and is irreversible. It's somewhat a pattern so far.

I have developed double typing ever since the upgrade to 10.3.2.500 and then to 10.3.2.680 on my AT&T Passport. It's starting to get quite annoying and quite frequent. Looks like I may be seeking a replacement unit soon (been putting it off...). Has anyone here had their AT&T Passport replaced? Did you contact AT&T or BlackBerry directly?

BlackBerry Passport / OS 10.3.2.281 / SQW100-3 / BBM 2C05E109

Posted via CB10
    05-24-15 01:58 PM
116 1234 ...