Following my post and with the positive encouragement from you all, I went ahead with the purchase of Passport. I am still trying to figure out what protection cover is best for this phone.

Anyway, after cutting through the stickers on both sides of the box, I noticed they were all double taped (that is they were taped one on top of the other). These tapes were all original. The shop could not have done it, impossible.
    I found it peculiar. They did not happen on the Q10 I purchased.
    On inspection of the phone & accessories, everything seemed looking good and how it should be. With the exception of the protection plastic on the back of the phone seemed like someone took it off and put it back again.

Please post your replies in regards to your boxes.

Thanks to all.
    01-06-15 01:41 PM
    This topic has already been brought up a multiple times. IN short, quite some people, including myself, received resealed boxes, even though they ordered new devices. It also can't be tracked down to a single shop, some people got this from ShopBB, other from Amazon.
    All protection films on my Passports were in place and in good condition, also the packaged content looked untouched, all accessories sealed. Since everything was fine, I didn't file any complain.

Why those boxes were double sealed? We can only guess.

Posted via CB10
    01-06-15 01:49 PM
    In a way, good news to know this is not an unusual occurrence.
    On the other hand, it makes you feel the device has been recycled.
    If this is the case, why BB can't simply use a new box and seal it once and not double. Sometimes not knowing is better than knowing.
    01-06-15 02:11 PM
    From who did you order your product?
    01-06-15 02:56 PM
    I once ordered two Passports, first from ShopBlackBerry and then saw Amazon had a sale, then immediately ordered another from Amazon. Amazon arrived first. So I returned the ShopBlackBerry after just opening the box to make sure the phone was inside. The one returned is still "new" and unused but with box opened. Maybe they had a few of these from people like me...

Posted via CB10
    01-06-15 02:56 PM
    carphonewarehouse
    01-06-15 03:09 PM
    I too got double stickers from BB/digital river ...I think BB owes everyone an explanation for this.

This topic has already been brought up a multiple times. IN short, quite some people, including myself, received resealed boxes, even though they ordered new devices. It also can't be tracked down to a single shop, some people got this from ShopBB, other from Amazon.
    All protection films on my Passports were in place and in good condition, also the packaged content looked untouched, all accessories sealed. Since everything was fine, I didn't file any complain.

Why those boxes were double sealed? We can only guess.

Posted via CB10
    01-06-15 03:16 PM
    I can just tell you that they are investigating why seemingly opened devices are being sold as new. I have been reassured by management at BlackBerry that Shop BlackBerry should only ever be sending out brand new devices and that they are not allowed to inject used devices into the retail channels.

Posted via CB10
    01-06-15 04:00 PM
    I once ordered two Passports, first from ShopBlackBerry and then saw Amazon had a sale, then immediately ordered another from Amazon. Amazon arrived first. So I returned the ShopBlackBerry after just opening the box to make sure the phone was inside. The one returned is still "new" and unused but with box opened. Maybe they had a few of these from people like me...

Posted via CB10
    I've never understood why people open the box just to 'make sure' the items inside. Seems weird.
    01-06-15 04:21 PM
    You have to open the box to unlock the phone!!

Posted via CB10
    01-06-15 04:26 PM
    I accept your statement fully; however, I do NOT believe BB assurance about this at all... what do they do with the devices that are returned? I have not seen any outlet for those devices... I think they are wiping them off with a tissue & putting them out as new which is ILLEGAL in the USA... I don't know about other places...
    I can just tell you that they are investigating why seemingly opened devices are being sold as new. I have been reassured by management at BlackBerry that Shop BlackBerry should only ever be sending out brand new devices and that they are not allowed to inject used devices into the retail channels.

Posted via CB10
    01-06-15 05:05 PM
    I've never understood why people open the box just to 'make sure' the items inside. Seems weird.
    It's not actually. A couple of years back there was a string of iPad boxes being returned sealed to a couple of large retailers in Canada. Because the boxes appeared unopened, they were put back on the shelf for sale. However, the boxes did not have iPads inside, and instead the iPads were being removed, replaced with slabs of cement that weighed the same as iPads, and then re-sealed.

A few years before that, New Egg had a nasty surprise when pallets of new Intel chips were discovered to be fakes that were swapped out somewhere in transit. The replicas matched exactly in weight so New Egg never knew that they were selling boxes with fake products.

Other examples of the same problem exist. Opening the box to see what's inside isn't so crazy.

Posted via CB10
    01-06-15 05:07 PM
    I accept your statement fully; however, I do NOT believe BB assurance about this at all... what do they do with the devices that are returned? I have not seen any outlet for those devices... I think they are wiping them off with a tissue & putting them out as new which is ILLEGAL in the USA... I don't know about other places...
    Precisely. This is why it's too risky for BlackBerry to be trying to pull off a stunt like this. Regardless, I've spoken to their management over the phone. They are aware of the issue and are looking into it. I was skeptical too, but they appear to be sincere. Keep in mind that BlackBerry can only control what happens with Shop BlackBerry, not Amazon or anyone else.

Posted via CB10
    01-06-15 05:10 PM
    Is the question whether the device is used? I have BaSa installed and when I received the red Passport I took a look at the battery cycles just for the hell of it and took a screen shot of the battery cycle at 1.

The red Passport was not double sealed though and honestly I don't even remember if the black one I received had 1 or 2 stickers. Just inspect the hardware and run BBVE to make sure all is well. My battery cycles on the black from September/October are almost at 40. I use the black as my main device and charge from 10-90 or so every few days.

Will say that the hardware on the red is crazy perfect at the moment; nothing is off, not any lightbleed. Really impressed with the build quality on the red. If you're interested in buying an app, the battery and system analyzer is well worth it and think it might still be on sale. I purchased the app a while ago and it compliments the device monitor well with some cool features and a dedicated developer. That would at least show battery cycles although I guess it could have still been returned with 1 battery cycle still showing.

As long as the hardware is fine and everything passes BBVE, I wouldn't really be concerned. As I wrote, not even sure how many seals were on the early build as I ripped right into the box to get that Passport out. Best phone, at least spec-wise, that BlackBerry has ever put out. Hope you enjoy it!

Posted via CB10
    01-06-15 05:30 PM
    If I were to send it I would look too since it goes out of my hands & could contain a rock... trust in this world is a relic...
    01-06-15 06:22 PM
    Please see the other thread I started, carphone warehouse, any experience with them? This is also in reference to the double stickers on box.
    01-07-15 10:29 AM